• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New ledge trump kill with sheik

TheFinalHeart

Smash Rookie
Ledge trumping is a new mechanic in smash 4. Pre patch, sheiks back air was so powerful that it was a kill confirm off of a ledge trump. Now that it has been nerfed it can be used to send people off stage and gain stage control. I recently found this trick which utilizes ledge trumping and sheiks side B which works into a kill confirm.
Here's the video to show how the trick is performed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQZoQadd5qk

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I believe saviourslegacy posted about this but I've never seen it in action. good job making a video about it. looks pretty damn interesting but on-paper its harder to pull off than the usual trump > bair.. still, very interesting

thanks!

edit: I just saw the video again, it looks like there's enough time to airdodge. this needs testing with a human partner, but regardless it still looks cool as a mixup

Last edited:

MiloniVanili

Smash Apprentice
i've tried it before in bracket, it doesnt really work because they can jump out before the explosion so you have to cover that option yourself. it might work out the first time you try it on someone but its one of those things where it only works once

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
You have to time it perfectly for the grenade to explode on them. If you trump them too early they'll just jump away.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
From my testing.....

I was never able to confirm it was a true combo on a single character. Some could jump out of it while the rest could simply air dodge.
Also, the placement of the nade is important. The higher you are, the farther out the nade will go.

In theory, if you realease the nade to blow before you grab the ledge you might be able to true combo, but the distance this creates is really iffy.

WITH THAT SAID!
This is actually really, really....... really easy to pull off and with good timing it is 100% safe on some characters who are going to auto cancel onto the ledge. Even if it is not a true combo, those two things make it worth while.
Even better, you are still in a position to counter the opponents position by rolling onto the stage. They are still trying to recover if the nade missed and you have taken a strong defensive position on the stage.

This tech kinda feels like chess. Nothing is gaurunteed, but it is safe and with proper positioning you are still in a good spot no matter what the opponent does.

Simikins

Nerfed
3DS FC
0447-8060-8710
It can also be used to frame trap, because landing on the ledge cancels the lag from throwing a nade, you can jump out and BF or Bair them for airdodging. Or even better, combo the explosion into BF. I prefer other options, but this can throw people off and net you a kill if you play it right.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I actually did this once today in friendlies. Didn't work any other time I tried it tho lol.

Empoleon_master

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3136-7076-2637
I don't know if this works with ledge trumping, but it should if used with something to make the opponent take about 2-3 seconds to get back onto the stage. While I was practicing on AI as I am OK with Shiek at best, I actually discovered something that could work but I'm pretty sure it requires pro level timing etc to be pulled off again. I used the grenade of awfulness while my opponent was off stage trying to recover, as I currently don't feel comfortable doing low side stage air attacks with Shiek, and it exploded behind and below my opponent slightly to the point where the vacuum wind boxes sucked the AI right out of their recovery and into the bottom right part of an Omega stage for a KO. If people can repeatedly pull this off against real people I'd be impressed at the level of skill.

Top Bottom