• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

** New Jersey Smash Tourney **

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
EmuKiller?! More like... FREEmuKiller!!!!!!
The first video is quite fitting for the April Fool's Day joke.

But seriously, thank you Tipo for bringing the VCR. Do you know of an easy to read tutorial of how to use that to get videos on youtube? If you did I would be willing to bring a VCR next time I go to a pretty local tourney (God knows we don't use them for anything else).

doyoung2win

Smash Ace
how to get videos on youtube?
1. make youtube account
2. click upload video
3. browse through your computer and select the video you want to upload
4. was that so hard that you needed a tutorial?

anyway, gj lunch king. and all you guys are lucky comp didnt go or else he would have handed all of you your lunches.

Tipo mastr

Smash Lord
telling people that my name is pronouced "Typ
how to get videos on youtube?
1. make youtube account
2. click upload video
3. browse through your computer and select the video you want to upload
4. was that so hard that you needed a tutorial?

anyway, gj lunch king. and all you guys are lucky comp didnt go or else he would have handed all of you your lunches.

Doyoung, I think he wants to know how to get videos from the VCR onto the computer, which most people have trouble with. I don't have much time right now, but you need a capture card, which should cost $30 to $50 at radioshaq. <_<

Tipo mastr

Smash Lord
telling people that my name is pronouced &quot;Typ
Right guys as I said, my youtube account is madmailler. Subscribe to it if you want daily updates on the vids.

BTW: since I want to make a compilation vid of the tourney, I'd really appreciate it if you guys could comment on the videos saying where good moments were in the vid. I can't easily go through each and every video, and also there's conflicting veiws on whats a good clip and what isn't.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Also subscribe to Jigglymaster if you want to see the other half of the matches. We are spliting the vids up to make it fair. Since we both have youtube accounts.

MuseLives

Smash Journeyman
Enjoying some leisurely chaos...in New Jersey
I honestly don't think that any of my matches were recorded, but I had fun losing most of my sets on the third match ^_^. Good games guys, hopefully the next one will be bigger and better like the owners lame optimism is pushing...

Either way looking forward to seeing the other vids, there was some crazy **** going down on that TV at times. Good job bringing VCR Tipo and Jigglymaster.

Edit: Also, TMB, we need to get that rematch next time too, we never followed up on it b/c the round robin stuff took a bit too long. Maybe a few pichu dittos too ^_^

golden_leeroy

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, just wanted to say that I had a good time on Saturday.

Hopefully there will be more people next time (and I will have improved, luckily) ^_^

I anticipate watching those other vids.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Well just to let you know guys that there should be videos on my user too. He should know to be kind enough to put the videos of the player on their user. He also knows that if he dosn't fix that he isn't going to smashtality 3 with me, or any other tournament.

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
Jigglymaster, you could always download the youtube vid and then put it on your own account.

EDIT: If you are using firefox you can download extensions (search firefox extensions in google and it should be the first link) that will allow you to download a youtube video. There are literally dozens of extensions that do this. Once you have it installed, follow the instructions to save it as a .flv. Then, upload that video using your account. This way you have your videos and Tipo can continue to upload everyones. You should be grateful he's getting yours up first so that you can put them on your account early. I'm still waiting for that hax0rs 1337 match of me and LK on battlefield.

golden_leeroy

Smash Journeyman
I have two videos up right now, check "madmailler"s youtube account. Btw, who were you at the tourney? >__>
I put myself down as Ryan

you know, I was the one who pretty much used the pink Luigi....

...and <ahem> picked Mute City against Jigglymaster's jigglypuff and thought it was a wise move <cough> X_X. Now I know to never do that again.:)

MuseLives

Smash Journeyman
@ Golden Leeroy: You also 3 stocked my Marth on Yoshi's Story with the same pink luigi so I guess those cancel each other out. Seriously, do you have any tips for me on how to NOT get 3-stocked by a Luigi?
I play his luigi like all the time with marth, so I'll try to help you out if I can.

For one: try your best to read the WDs. Luigi slides around like a ************ and hearing the "JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA" continuously isn't going to do your concentration any favors. What you need to know is that if you don't play too aggressive, eventually Luigi will come to you, and there his options are limited enough for it to be a guessing game. Your range does help you out a bit in this guessing game because even if you guess wrong, you might get bailed out by the long sword

Don't try to fair combo him unless you know for sure you have the tipper. Sex kicks can bail luigi out of fair chains if the spacing isn't perfect, because that move is just that broken and just that quick to come out.

Do whatever you can to avoid the ****ing tornado on the stage, preferably punish it so that your opponent is more reluctant to use it. It deals surprisingly good damage and can be used to start combos.

You have practically no grab game unless you get lucky and he uses his second jump for whatever reason. Luigi just floats too far and his aerials come out too fast.

Always expect another aerial to come out. Luigi's aerials have like no lag whatsoever. If you make him miss once and jump in to try and take advantage, BOOM, you just got pimp-slapped by the fair.

Tilts are your friends, especially utilt when luigi approaches by air. Not to mention it's harder to punish an ftilt you threw to try and catch a careless WD than that fsmash you might've thrown...

Edgeguarding is one of the easier tasks of this matchup in my opinion. You always have to be wary of a potential misfire, but luigi's options are rather limited. if he's going to get back, force him to land the missile on the stage. So long as he doesn't hit you, the lag is so great you get a free fsmash tipper. If he's not at a decent height, I'd suggest hanging on the edge as if going for the edgehog, drop to the correct height at the right moment, and then rising bair before a quick recovery to the stage. Also if you can time it right, jumping out with a shieldbreaker can usually do you some good. If you're staying on the stage, dtilt to keep him away from the ledge. Remember the tornado will only rise once during a recovery. Afterwards, it cannot gain vertical distance unless Luigi gets back to the stage. If the tornado is used, remember the options are just that much more limited. It'd also be good to note that if Luigi does grab the edge and he ledgehops, remember he can get off two aerials before he gets to the ground. Overall, i think the best option is to smack him right when he starts charging a missile (assuming you chased him off the stage). Just don't go so far out you risk dying yourself.

Use platforms to land an nair or something if they have to techroll.

Try not to get grabbed. Even if you aren't a fast faller, Luigi can still do some stuff to you out of the grab game.

In all, I find it's better to play this one on the defensive. I dunno, but that's pretty much all I think about when I play his luigi with marth. I'd say we split the matches 50-50, but this stuff usually at least keeps me in it to even make big comebacks or whatever. The big problem is that not a lot of people play against luigi often, so they have no idea what to do.

MuseLives

Smash Journeyman
Hey emu, was that vid of TMB falcon punching you on tape? Cause I can't find it, and I'd like to see it. :laugh:
if i recall correctly, they did that match before you guys had the tape in (You're thinking of that missed counter Emu threw out that led to the free falcon punch at the edge, right? wasn't wishing that was on tape the reason to start taping before the bracket started?). Its a shame :(

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
lol yeah. I guess it's a BAD idea to use counter. Never would've guessed it.

But yeah...that happened before the start of the recording. If you want to see some crazy counter work you should get the video of EmuKiller vs Lunch King on Battlefield. The last 30 seconds of it I pretty much only used counter.

golden_leeroy

Smash Journeyman
I play his luigi like all the time with marth, so I'll try to help you out if I can.

For one: try your best to read the WDs. Luigi slides around like a ************ and hearing the "JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA JA" continuously isn't going to do your concentration any favors. What you need to know is that if you don't play too aggressive, eventually Luigi will come to you, and there his options are limited enough for it to be a guessing game. Your range does help you out a bit in this guessing game because even if you guess wrong, you might get bailed out by the long sword

Don't try to fair combo him unless you know for sure you have the tipper. Sex kicks can bail luigi out of fair chains if the spacing isn't perfect, because that move is just that broken and just that quick to come out.

Do whatever you can to avoid the ****ing tornado on the stage, preferably punish it so that your opponent is more reluctant to use it. It deals surprisingly good damage and can be used to start combos.

You have practically no grab game unless you get lucky and he uses his second jump for whatever reason. Luigi just floats too far and his aerials come out too fast.

Always expect another aerial to come out. Luigi's aerials have like no lag whatsoever. If you make him miss once and jump in to try and take advantage, BOOM, you just got pimp-slapped by the fair.

Tilts are your friends, especially utilt when luigi approaches by air. Not to mention it's harder to punish an ftilt you threw to try and catch a careless WD than that fsmash you might've thrown...

Edgeguarding is one of the easier tasks of this matchup in my opinion. You always have to be wary of a potential misfire, but luigi's options are rather limited. if he's going to get back, force him to land the missile on the stage. So long as he doesn't hit you, the lag is so great you get a free fsmash tipper. If he's not at a decent height, I'd suggest hanging on the edge as if going for the edgehog, drop to the correct height at the right moment, and then rising bair before a quick recovery to the stage. Also if you can time it right, jumping out with a shieldbreaker can usually do you some good. If you're staying on the stage, dtilt to keep him away from the ledge. Remember the tornado will only rise once during a recovery. Afterwards, it cannot gain vertical distance unless Luigi gets back to the stage. If the tornado is used, remember the options are just that much more limited. It'd also be good to note that if Luigi does grab the edge and he ledgehops, remember he can get off two aerials before he gets to the ground. Overall, i think the best option is to smack him right when he starts charging a missile (assuming you chased him off the stage). Just don't go so far out you risk dying yourself.

Use platforms to land an nair or something if they have to techroll.

Try not to get grabbed. Even if you aren't a fast faller, Luigi can still do some stuff to you out of the grab game.

In all, I find it's better to play this one on the defensive. I dunno, but that's pretty much all I think about when I play his luigi with marth. I'd say we split the matches 50-50, but this stuff usually at least keeps me in it to even make big comebacks or whatever. The big problem is that not a lot of people play against luigi often, so they have no idea what to do.
Nice, my play style is being dissected.:laugh:

@ Golden Leeroy: You also 3 stocked my Marth on Yoshi's Story with the same pink luigi so I guess those cancel each other out. Seriously, do you have any tips for me on how to NOT get 3-stocked by a Luigi?
best luigi iv ever seen. no lie.
Thank you, you guys are the first on this site to say that I'm good.:laugh:

MuseLives

Smash Journeyman
Question (though I'm not really helping my thought by posting this):

Since everything left is pretty much video discussion, wouldn't it be better to create a video thread for the tourney rather than keep bumping up the thread for a tourney that ended a few days ago? Just a thought. Tipo should make it since he's the one posting the vids >_>

Then again, this might provoke interest in the next one...

or not.

I don't know what I'm talking about, but yeah, a new thread might be a good idea.

MuseLives

Smash Journeyman
Very well. We'll assume this is publicity for the next one then >_>

Boo, Luigi is too predictable! j/k I just know how he plays :) Good match.

To tipo: I think my set with TMB might have been recorded. If it turns up, I'd appreciate it if you didn't put up the marth vid, just the peach one following that (it came down to the wire, so I think it'd at least be interesting). My marth was just playing like crapz0rz. Anyway, I was untagged both fights, TMB was using fox. First matched was marth getting three stocked on FD, then immediately after, I switched to blue peach and we fought on poke stadium. The match came down to one last stock, I think both were over 100 damage, if that helps identify it on the tape.

Though i wouldn't mind if you don't put that vid up either. Just please do not even consider the marth match >_< k thanks.

Top Bottom