• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Honestly part of me even believes it could legit just be 8 ARMS characters, those being Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Min Min, Helix, Kid Cobra, Lola Pop and Spring Tron. With some right tweaks they can all fit the same shape, their main gimmick is just their arms so even taking away their character specific stuff would be fine (with none of them being the level or Byte and Barq or Misango). I think they could all have a unique taunt and victory screen, they can per alt as seen with Byleth. We know Sakurai was willing to do 8 heroes originally he just couldn't. The character was delayed originally even outside of the epidemic which would surely need some big reason. The tease of showing off all ARMS characters and just saying its an ARMS character, well this would literally be ARMS: The character.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Tiermaker wants me to use Twitter to make an account, but I don't use Twitter, so instead I'll do this:

Who I'd like the most: Max Brass, Dr. Coyle, Lola Pop
I wouldn't mind them in the slightest: Min Min, Springtron, Kid Cobra
Feel fairly neutral about them: Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Helix, Biff
Not interested/seeing them as likely: Mechanica, Byte & Barq, Twintella, Misango, Ninjara
Don't really care: Master Mummy

zferolie

Smash Hero
As much as I'd love to see that happen, Smash doesn't always translate into sales. For example, Persona 5 Strikers still sold less on the Switch despite Joker in Smash. Mind you, this is a system where the Switch is often the best selling version of a game. Maybe the demo will help. Who knows. Of course, I'd gladly take the L here if ARMS pushes 3 million.

Good post. To your point, ARMS definitly took a lot of queues from Splatoon. For the constant free updates to even using an alien language and in-universe ads (notice how all of the ARMS have logos and what not). I don't doubt that the Party Crash was used for something much like Splatoon's final Splatfest. Not sure it was meant for Smash but it may be something they'd look at.

That said, Min Min has a lot going for her in addition to that. Having kicks helps differentiate herself from, say, Little Mac. Also, Sakurai likes to lean on mechanics from the game and I'm sure he'll look at the Charge mechanic and elemental effects. Min Min plays well into this as she can charge her ARM to make it a dragon.

I don't know if I agree this pass will be "fanservicy" or if its specifically breaking rules for the sake of them. Keep in mind that what fans want isn't always translated well to Nintendo or Sakurai. Were it we might get less Fire Emblem characters. They've added a lot of fan characters already so some of these other characters that are cropping up (say, Dante) probably wont get through to Nintendo.

And it's hard to say ARMS was fanserve for the Smash fandom. A lot of the die hard Smash people were disinterested or upset. So I'm not sure how this fares for characters that are specifically popular within the fandom such as Geno or Shantae. I guess what I'm saying is dont lean to much into specific ideas that we don't have enough about to say one way or another. You could be 100% right and this is complete fanserve. Or it could be Nintendo promoting their own characters so they picked ARMS. Or they are promoting a new game and this was a way to do it and doesn't reflect the rest of the pass. Feel free to guess and ponder. Just be wary into buying too much into your own personal theories (if that makes sense).
Was strikers viewed positivally overall? I feel like i heard barely anything about the game...

I can really see Nintendo looking at Party Crash, seeing how popular Min Min is overall, and asking Sakurai to use her. I can easily see it happen.

True, just speculating on fatmans idea that he has been hearing this pass will be very fanservicy. Normal smash fans are going who (because of course they act like that) but I think ARMS in general was a very popular series, not Splatoon popular but still popular, and has a large fanbase. Sakurai also wantyed them in too but the timing was poor. Thats why I think Rex and Pyra are a shoe in now.

As for Shantae and Geno, I think they aren't as certain as Rex and Pyra but they are up their, especially if the ARMS fighter is a spirit upgrade. Of all the spirits i Think those 2 are the most wanted. Geno has been considered by Sakurai since Melee, and Shantae has been very prominent on nintendo.

Now, while I think at least 1 or 2 will not be promotions, I can see them promoting more. Think of it this way, it would be easier for them to approach a company if their character was already in then going for new studios. If this DLC pass 2 wasn't planned ahead of time, and not finalized till lets say around summer last year, that wasn't a lot of time to contact new studios like Bethesda or Activitsion or Disney.

So I don't think its out of the Question for most of the fighters to be all promotions. Min Min, Rex and Pyra, Shantae, Geno, Isaac, and Rayman. I think that would be a very solid set. yes all promotions but that is 5 new series being repped.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Was strikers viewed positivally overall? I feel like i heard barely anything about the game...

I can really see Nintendo looking at Party Crash, seeing how popular Min Min is overall, and asking Sakurai to use her. I can easily see it happen.

True, just speculating on fatmans idea that he has been hearing this pass will be very fanservicy. Normal smash fans are going who (because of course they act like that) but I think ARMS in general was a very popular series, not Splatoon popular but still popular, and has a large fanbase. Sakurai also wantyed them in too but the timing was poor. Thats why I think Rex and Pyra are a shoe in now.

As for Shantae and Geno, I think they aren't as certain as Rex and Pyra but they are up their, especially if the ARMS fighter is a spirit upgrade. Of all the spirits i Think those 2 are the most wanted. Geno has been considered by Sakurai since Melee, and Shantae has been very prominent on nintendo.

Now, while I think at least 1 or 2 will not be promotions, I can see them promoting more. Think of it this way, it would be easier for them to approach a company if their character was already in then going for new studios. If this DLC pass 2 wasn't planned ahead of time, and not finalized till lets say around summer last year, that wasn't a lot of time to contact new studios like Bethesda or Activitsion or Disney.

So I don't think its out of the Question for most of the fighters to be all promotions. Min Min, Rex and Pyra, Shantae, Geno, Isaac, and Rayman. I think that would be a very solid set. yes all promotions but that is 5 new series being repped.
IMO, ARMS was heckin mega-dead and Nintendo decided to resurrect it with FP6

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration
IMO, ARMS was heckin mega-dead and Nintendo decided to resurrect it with FP6
ARMS never stopped having an active player base. Hell the last part crash was in 2019. Thats less then a year gap between the multi-month online tournement and this new announcement.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Regarding the poll, I'm honestly surprised by the votes for Spring Man here. I'm sure there's at least some people who pick him because he breaks 3 fanrules (basically anyone who doesn't care but wants Shadow, Waluigi, Isaac, etc), but outside of him, I definitely expected to see the 3 female spirits up at the top (Min Min, Ribbon Girl, and Twintelle). Kinda surprised how far down Ninjara is, considering he's also a spirit (breaks 1 fanrule) and he was the most popular pick from a poll awhile back, plus got 2nd in Crash Bash.

That said, if I had to pick one character, Twintelle >= Ribbon Girl, as they were my two mains. After that, Min Min because everyone loves her and she's a spirit, and at *that* point, Spring Man just because he breaks more fan rules, but I really, *really* don't like him over other characters; I just wouldn't really care for anyone else at that point.
...Perhaps because people want these characters based on their own merits instead of the doors they open for other characters?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
arms smash tier list.png

- re: Echoes - yeah season 2 is the final season but rn there are 10 empty WoL slots and after Season 2 is done, DLC will end with four slots unfilled. Unless, four of the six came with their own Echo. that's where Min Min with a Ninjara echo comes from. I think they'd easier echo each other than anyone else.
- Yeah, Spring Man's staying an AT despite my top two choices being Spirits. even tho he's one of the first ARMS characters, he isn't all that popular. Definitely think Min Min winning the final Party Crash Bash (and Ninjara being for all intents and purposes the "runner up") may amount to something
- yeah I don't like Master Mummy, screw his guard regeneration
- and yeah, hot take making them all alts of each other is a bad idea and strips away what ARMS is about - individuality. they have the same basic abilities but different quirks that make each of them stand out. and Twintelle DEFINITELY wouldn't work as an alt of the others, or Dr. Coyle for that matter

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
- and yeah, hot take making them all alts of each other is a bad idea and strips away what ARMS is about - individuality. they have the same basic abilities but different quirks that make each of them stand out. and Twintelle DEFINITELY wouldn't work as an alt of the others, or Dr. Coyle for that matter
This. So much this.

But it doesn't matter how much we say it. People will never get it because they think it flopped... because they never played the game.

Polarthief

Smash Lord
...Perhaps because people want these characters based on their own merits instead of the doors they open for other characters?
He was so incredibly far in the believe that I seriously doubt *all* votes were for him specifically and not the AT/Costume rule-destroying powers that come with him, but hey, the poll was reset so I guess we'll see.

Neither does Twintelle but here we are
Arms in ARMS != your literal arms, but rather your armaments. Twintelle does have armaments that are extendable, but not extendable arms as in the body part.

Also I did the thing for fun. PS: I'd have been fine with Spring Man, probably put him in the yellow/greenish area if they revealed him on Thursday instead of delaying it til June. The secrecy thing is so dumb to then just reveal him later.
ARMS thing.png

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
This. So much this.

But it doesn't matter how much we say it. People will never get it because they think it flopped... because they never played the game.
Or we just disagree on how we think/might enjoy how the character is portrayed, but we can still respect your opinions, and speaking for myself, I'll be interested in the character no matter how they do it. Maybe you shouldn't speak for others by assuming they're all ignorant or misinformed. That's a bit of a bad look.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Considering that we have an alt for :ultalph: and that none of the Pikmin types from Pikmin 3 are used at all...

One has to be open to that kind of possibility. As it is, expecting SF characters by themselves besides :ultryu: and :ultken: is already a stretch, never mind this.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Why is Biff in the poll at all? He wasn't on the list, and he doesn't have extendable arms. This is nonsense.
Because A. If you look close he does have a spiral pattern on his ARMS, B. He was on the same screen as the 15 playable ones and C. Sakurai added a Piranha Plant to smash and Beenox added a box to CTR so you have to acknowledge every angle these nutters can take.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Or we just disagree on how we think/might enjoy how the character is portrayed, but we can still respect your opinions, and speaking for myself, I'll be interested in the character no matter how they do it. Maybe you shouldn't speak for others by assuming they're all ignorant or misinformed. That's a bit of a bad look.
Fair... but it's still mostly people who didn't play the game (or didn't play in years) who get that point of view. It's more rare for those who did play the game and remember just how unique each fighter is despite the simplistic gameplay.

HA! :p

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
So many people in here disrespecting my main Master Mummy. If he were to be added to Smash ot would be the closest thing we will ever get to Thanos in Smash. Think of the memes people!

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Because A. If you look close he does have a spiral pattern on his ARMS, B. He was on the same screen as the 15 playable ones and C. Sakurai added a Piranha Plant to smash and Beenox added a box to CTR so you have to acknowledge every angle these nutters can take.
>Plant was planned for base roster, offered for free for a long time, and comes from Mario -- a franchise that wasn't mostly dead until two days ago
>Smash isn't CTR, and box is free

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
>Plant was planned for base roster, offered for free for a long time, and comes from Mario -- a franchise that wasn't mostly dead until two days ago
As an extra argument, CTR and Smash are made by different studios from different continents, which could mean different points of view for characters.

It's pretty likely that thing would be different between the two.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So many people in here disrespecting my main Master Mummy. If he were to be added to Smash ot would be the closest thing we will ever get to Thanos in Smash. Think of the memes people!
That's fine all and all, but Galeem and Dharkom have other opinions to say about that.

As an extra argument, CTR and Smash are made by different studios from different continents, which could mean different points of view for characters.

It's pretty likely that thing would be different between the two.
Sure, though I still feel like their speculation periods are like funhouse mirror versions of each other. Especially the fan rules.

Also, both of their devs are no longer able to have their stuff datamined very easily, so we're going in blind from this point onwards.

Last edited:

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
Another thing that came to mind regarding the alt conversation: If I'm not mistaken, different animations have so far only been used by alts that represent a different form of the same character (Inkling, Byleth).

While not directly related, I also can't help but be reminded of how many people thought that Terry's Garou alt would be a given. My guess is it was left out because it doesn't have Terry wearing a hat, which is a big part of some animations.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
While not directly related, I also can't help but be reminded of how many people thought that Terry's Garou alt would be a given. My guess is it was left out because it doesn't have Terry wearing a hat, which is a big part of some animations.
I mean, they could've just made slightly different taunts and victory poses like with Byleth... but that's not really considering the fact that they have limited time and schedules to follow or anything like that.

They did the most they could and he's still the best addition we've seen, imo. Especially with how much was poured into his DLC pack to begin with.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, they could've just made slightly different taunts and victory poses like with Byleth... but that's not really considering the fact that they have limited time and schedules to follow or anything like that.

They did the most they could and he's still the best addition we've seen, imo. Especially with how much was poured into his DLC pack to begin with.
Well, now we are in a bit of a reversal; thanks to a certain crisis I won't name, the staff has all the time in the world to plan things out, even if they aren't able to program anything right now.

But yeah, Terry seemed simple enough, they just went with the old-school route for him. Nice hat logos, though.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Well, now we are in a bit of a reversal; thanks to a certain crisis I won't name, the staff has all the time in the world to plan things out, even if they aren't able to program anything right now.

But yeah, Terry seemed simple enough, they just went with the old-school route for him. Nice hat logos, though.
I don't think having all the time in the world to plan stuff can actually give an advantage if they can't put time into implimenting it in the game.

It might make development shorter because they'd already have figured some stuff out, but not to the point where they can go all in with the detailing and easter eggs.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think having all the time in the world to plan stuff can actually give an advantage if they can't put time into implimenting it in the game.

It might make development shorter because they'd already have figured some stuff out, but not to the point where they can go all in with the detailing and easter eggs.
Well, to be fair release dates can be subject to change and be moved to later, especially since most people are stuck in Witch Time right now.

Otherwise we wouldn't have gotten a warning at the start of the mini-Direct.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Well, to be fair release dates can be subject to change and be moved to later, especially since most people are stuck in Witch Time right now.

Otherwise we wouldn't have gotten a warning at the start of the mini-Direct.
It could just mean they have just as much time as before, but that, like you said with that Witch Time joke (lol btw), it's on a big pause.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It could just mean they have just as much time as before, but that, like you said with that Witch Time joke (lol btw), it's on a big pause.
With the way things are in Japan right now, that point is real ambiguous.

At any rate, one advantage is that unlike with :ult_terry: and :ultbyleth:, there's less metric ton of content or intricate settings to work with, so some of the effort could be diverted into other areas. Also, not needing to collaborate with other companies in the process.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
With the way things are in Japan right now, that point is real ambiguous.

At any rate, one advantage is that unlike with :ult_terry: and :ultbyleth:, there's less metric ton of content or intricate settings to work with, so some of the effort could be diverted into other areas. Also, not needing to collaborate with other companies in the process.
So the time they have can be used for specifically Max Brass whoever they bring from ARMS.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Even if you're not a big fan of ARMS, 6 being confirmed as a ARMS is almost guaranteed to be a game changer and supports that Season 2 will probably rock:

-Likely our first promotion, freeing up spirits, costumes, and even assist trophies.

-An example of something that Sakurai turned down for the base game but changed his mind on. Games and characters that were "too late" for base can now be reconsidered.

-With ARMS' weird mechanics, supports the idea that the team is going to toy with new ideas for many of the fighters in Season 2.

Like I've been crooning for a few days now, if 6 is any of the 5 ARMS spirits in the base game, basically it reopens the doors for virtually everything that was seemingly deconfirmed before, literally putting dozens of popular characters back into play.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Tbh if it WAS Spring Man they wouldn’t play this guessing game, they’d just out and say it, especially since they showed his AT in the Nov 1 direct. It makes me think this could be one of the Spirits (Min Min, Ninjara, Twintelle) or a not Spirited character (Max Brass, Dr. Coyle, Mechanica). Hoping for the former cause then some of my faves who are Spirits, like Elma, would have a chance

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So the time they have can be used for specifically Max Brass whoever they bring from ARMS.
As a final point to this conversation, I'll just say to expect the unexpected, and be open to any possibility, even the unlikely ones. We don't know what we're going to get with this one.

Even if you're not a big fan of ARMS, 6 being confirmed as a ARMS is almost guaranteed to be a game changer and supports that Season 2 will probably rock:

-Likely our first promotion, freeing up spirits, costumes, and even assist trophies.

-An example of something that Sakurai turned down for the base game but changed his mind on. Games and characters that were "too late" for base can now be reconsidered.

-With ARMS' weird mechanics, supports the idea that the team is going to toy with new ideas for many of the fighters in Season 2.
At least the latter two of those three points are a guarantee, if nothing else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom