• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Decided to look into it and the history of "Party Crash" might give us a good idea of who is coming:

https://armswiki.org/wiki/Party_Crash

Character: Total Wins

Springman: 2
Ribbongirl: 2
Ninjara: 5
Twintelle: 3
Mechanica: 3
Min-Min: 6
Max Brass: 3
Lola Pop: 2
Springtron: 3
Byte and Barq: 1
Master Mummy, Dr. Coyle, Misango, Helix, Kid Cobra: 0

So, based on this:

Min-Min > Ninjara > >Max Brass = Mechanica = Springtron = Twintelle > Lola Pop = Springman = Ribbongirl > Byte and Barq > Everyone else

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Decided to look into it and the history of "Party Crash" might give us a good idea of who is coming:

So, based on this:

Min-Min > Ninjara > >Max Brass = Mechanica = Springtron = Twintelle > Lola Pop = Springman = Ribbongirl > Byte and Barq > Everyone else
I guess that's one way of looking at it.

BTW, aren't you some kind of "hinter" or whatever they're called? Like, those people who have information but can't say it because reasons?

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I think your thoughts are pretty spot on. With nearly zero experience with the game prior to the Smash announcement I was coming to similar conclusions after doing some research. I hadn't considered Max Brass before making my post (ended up editing it slightly after looking at yours) but I would have to agree as a whole that he'd be a better addition than the likes of Mechanica. As such, its between those two characters as to who I'd most like added. Max Brass just seems like a good pick for the theme of the series and easing the headache from balancing thats needed for the different mechanics transitioning into Smash.
I'd say its mainly a toss up between the top 3 you picked and like I said before Ribbon Girl would be my bet.
I'm curious how exactly you see Min Min playing out in gameplay, specifically in enhancing the arms gimmick rather than overcomplicating it.
Thank you!

Here are my thoughts on Min Min's gameplay, and how it would translate well into Smash:
So, a core mechanic of ARMS is charging, which I am confident will be incorporated into the character's Smash moveset, probably as a Down Special. Basically, in the original game, the player can stop and briefly power up their arms, enhancing the attributes of their next attacks. For most characters, the charged state is represented by a fairly minor change in the appearance of their gloves (ie: they start glowing, or get enveloped in flames). For Min Min, however, when she's charged, one of her arms turns into a big dragon arm, which is much more readable in a game like Smash - it makes it more clear whether she's charged or not, even when the screen is zoomed out on a large stage! Also, in the game, the dragon mechanic made it so that her one arm is permanently charged up until she is knocked down or KO'd. I feel like that translates better to Smash - maybe there could be two "levels" of charge depending on how long she charges up. A brief charge will only power up her next attack, while the longer charge will grant her a buff that lasts until she takes enough damage (like Kirby's copy ability).

Essentially, her core mechanic is something that is naturally integrated into a universal mechanic of ARMS, unlike some of the more outlandish gimmicks like having Barq as your partner. It would supplement the overall gameplay style of an ARMS character rather than complicating it. Also, she attacks with regular kicks as well as well as extendable punches, so she has more moves to pull from.

Last edited:

SwitchButton

Banned via Administration

BTW, aren't you some kind of "hinter" or whatever they're called? Like, those people who have information but can't say it because reasons?
Lets..... not open that can of worms. Fatman is just a normal speculator like the rest of us. There's nothing special.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Speculator I guess. I do have insider friends but I'm not interested in leaking stuff. Basically I only openly speculate on stuff that other people have made public. Too much drama in leaking and I have no interest in being an e-celeb either.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Lets..... not open that can of worms. Fatman is just a normal speculator like the rest of us. There's nothing special.
Speculator I guess. I do have insider friends but I'm not interested in leaking stuff. Basically I only openly speculate on stuff that other people have made public. Too much drama in leaking and I have no interest in being an e-celeb either.
Alright. Just wanted to make sure. You may resume speculating.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Someone that actually likes Byleth. Thats a first lol

I can see what your coming from with Smash being the best Nintendo additions since Smash. At the very least, having Inkling, K Rooll, Isabelle and Ridley helps. I would say that the only thing Ultimate was missing was ARMS and Xenoblade 2. Felt like both of these should have been in the main game but that clearly wasn't the case. Now with ARMS, I'd say we are close to have a near perfect roster of Nintendo characters.

As for numbers, I'm sure we'll get at least one more. The last Pass ended with one from an existing series. I figure they'll do that again with either a Zelda or Metroid character (assuming Prime 4 is even close). Hopefully we'll get a lot of Nintendo characters this time. ARMS at least will get me interested thats for sure.
I like Byleth from a gameplay and design look(the female).

Source Gaming's discussion on ARMS characters

I'll have to watch that soon!

So, based on this:

Heya Fatman, glad to see you here. Yeah I think Min Min is very likely due to her popularity. her by herself or with an alt.

So just wondering, did any of your insiders see this coming? or were hearing this? Does thios fit in your speculation? I remember you are certain Geno is next, but can't remember who you were thinking was 6, Crash?

Last edited:

SwitchButton

I hope the final Smash is something athletic rather then a generic flurry of dragon ball z punches. Imagine if the character grabbed someone and threw them into the Hoops net with a slam dunk LOL

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
I'm very biased towards Min Min, as she is my favorite from this cast by far, but here's why I'm incredibly hopeful the Arms character rep is the Ramen Bomber!

First of all, she is the winner of last year's Party Crash Bash, defeating immensely popular characters including Twintelle, Springtron, and Ninjara!

What better way to see these artworks come to life than in a CGI movie showing the Party Crash Bash play-out with the Ramen Bomber coming out on top during the June direct and releasing near or at the time of Arms third anniversary, the same time this Party Crash tournament concluded!

Also... Arms' producer, Kosuke Yabuki, is on the record on saying his favorite character is Spring Man and Min Min. He's mentioned this in various interviews, but here one from 2018:

"This is more of a silly question I guess, but who's your favorite fighter and arms combination?

KY: So if we're talking about just who I've played the most for a character, I'd say it's Spring Man for sure. The standard Spring Man with the two toasters is actually, just in terms of numbers, that's probably the set up I play with the most. It's very ingrained in me at this point.

And then talking about maybe just purely from like a favorite standpoint, I would say Min Min as well. I've said that quite a few times I think in interviews when I get asked that too, usually Min Min. I think part of that, kind of the joke answer to why Min Min is because I really like ramen. But maybe the game-related reason is also with her left arm being able to power up into that bigger dragon arm. She has aspects that other characters don't have."

Source: https://www.usgamer.net/articles/arms-postmortem-interview-kosuke-yabuki-twintelle

Why is this relevant? Well, because if the Fire Emblem stuff isn't evidence enough, insider influence on top of popular demand plays a role in influencing Sakurai's decision in choosing a character to turn into a fighter for Smash.

Now that said, Twintelle has shown to be popular, in the west, on social media. The factors that play into that are many, be it ethnicity, big butts, or what have you. A certain forum hasn't been shy in displaying their desire for Smash to have more characters with darker skin.

But Min Min is also a female character, so I think she will still manage play well to that western crowd who also think Smash needs more women in general.

That said, I don't like or care for political stances. The 'PoC' character I favor is Elma from XenoX, but that's largely influenced by the fact that I'm a huge fan of Hiroyuki Sawano, the composer for her game.

And of course, as my avatar suggests, my most wanted character, by far, is Isaac from Golden Sun. That is the game I cherished most growing up, and that character was my bridge to that world.

So yeah, I think Min Min has a strong chance to be fighter 7 here. I'm super excited and hopeful that it is her. I've described why she's my favorite of the ARMS cast in the newcomer thread dedicated to her. If the DLC fighter is Min Min, she will be the first newcomer in Smash Ultimate I'll be legit excited for and would main instantly.

If the fighter ends up being someone else from ARMS, well, it'd be a bitter pill to swallow, but I'll be happy for those who got what they want. But for now, I shall be optimistic for the Ramen Bomber. Let's go, Min Min!!!!
Personally I’d be all for Min Min though I personally hope we somehow get Max Brass. One thing though that confuses me is since when is having a canonically black smash character a political stance?

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I hope the final Smash is something athletic rather then a generic flurry of dragon ball z punches. Imagine if the character grabbed someone and threw them into the Hoops net with a slam dunk LOL
I'm predicting Hedlok to come down and attach itself to the character, resulting in a DK style flurry of punches x3. Maybe it has the style of the ARMS rush attack the whole time.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Max Brass high key has a chance. There’s no spirit of him, he’s the Grand Prix champion, and his buffs could be implemented pretty easily

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I like Byleth from a gameplay and design look(the female).

I'll have to watch that soon!

Heya Fatman, glad to see you here. Yeah I think Min Min is very likely due to her popularity. her by herself or with an alt.

So just wondering, did any of your insiders see this coming? or were hearing this? Does thios fit in your speculation? I remember you are certain Geno is next, but can't remember who you were thinking was 6, Crash?
Everything was pointing to a first party character that was a highly probable promotion based on, well, a lot and I go into a lot of it in the Geno thread. My personal guess was Waluigi based on a number of things. Two of my guys were pushing a first party character and one of them doubled down on this last week based on what he knew:

Screenshot_20200327-223154.png

zferolie

Smash Hero
Everything was pointing to a first party character that was a highly probable promotion based on, well, a lot and I go into a lot of it in the Geno thread. My personal guess was Waluigi based on a number of things. Two of my guys were pushing a first party character and one of them doubled down on this last week based on what he knew:

View attachment 267443
Hmm very interesting. Yeah I remember you pushing Waluigi now haha. Still, sounds like there are good mermerings of a promotion... will it be AT with springman or Spirits with Min Min. I do hope its the latter as that helps both Geno and Shantae.

Think we'll see Geno at the June direct?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Hmm very interesting. Yeah I remember you pushing Waluigi now haha. Still, sounds like there are good mermerings of a promotion... will it be AT with springman or Spirits with Min Min. I do hope its the latter as that helps both Geno and Shantae.

Think we'll see Geno at the June direct?
I will say that after ARMS if we get Geno and Rex then they can add whatever silly BS they want. I'd be totally satisfied with the roster.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
My support will be the same as ever

Skull Kid
Bandana Dee
Rex and Pyra
King Boo

Honorable mention to Dixie

Icana

Smash Apprentice
Personally I’d be all for Min Min though I personally hope we somehow get Max Brass. One thing though that confuses me is since when is having a canonically black smash character a political stance?
"Having a canonically black smash character" is NOT a political stance.

What is a political stance?
In social studies, a political ideology is a certain set of ethical ideals, principles, doctrines, myths or symbols of a social movement, institution, class or large group that explains how society should work and offers some political and cultural blueprint for a certain social order.

They're individuals who harbor ideas of how Smash should ideally quantitatively represent groups from the real world, be it ethnicity, sexuality, gender, what have you. Those views are fine to hold and share, but I made clear in that post you quoted that I don't particularly care for a political stance, as I like who I like and don't hold a particular ideology of how a roster in this All Star fighting game should select its fighters. I just hope my favorites from Nintendo franchises make the cut. It just so happens Min Min is female, and Elma is a person of color.

I do believe diversity is important however, for Nintendo and for the game in fostering a community, so naturally their should be a nice diverse line-up of characters, be it the three things I mentioned above, or whether they wield a sword, axe, ARMS, whether they're talking animals, or a robot, etc. I don't care much for the ratio of these things, though. Just compelling additions. And I think that's true of a lot of different people too, but mileage varies. Sometimes rarity makes things stand-out more as being special, and things that are common lose the fresh taste after too many bites.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I will say that after ARMS if we get Geno and Rex then they can add whatever silly BS they want. I'd be totally satisfied with the roster.
I'd be happy for the Rex fans but personally I'm with you save for I'd swap Rex with Travis Touchdown. Give me Geno and Travis and the roster would be pretty much perfect to me.

I'm probably just hyping myself up since Travis went from "Almost certainly never happening" to "Actually has a shot Bayonetta style", but I'd be just about fully content in Travis makes it in, even if he is a promotional pick thanks to NMH3.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Nintendo is not publishing NMH3
True, true. Still, they seem to be promoting it a bit more than I expected. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I did raise my eyebrows a bit when the story trailer was the only thing Nintendo showed us at the game awards. It got me thinking maybe Nintendo wants NMH3 to succeed, again not unlike Bayonetta 2 and the promotion they did for that game. Not to mention Suda is friends with Sakurai and has asked him if Travis could be in Smash before. Suda is even listed as a special thanks in the credits of Brawl.

Overall, Nintendo is actively acknowledging and promoting NMH3, and it has me hopeful maybe Travis cold take one of the DLC spots to coincide with his new game releasing. But only time will tell. He was always this small guy on a previously Nintendo exclusive franchise that never sold too well or made big waves, and so I just resigned myself to "He's cool, but nobody knows who he is.". Now, more people are saying they might pick up NMH3 based on the story trailer, and in almost every recent Smash speculation video or list, Travis seems to get a mention. Of course, by now it's too late for fan demand to get him in as the pack 2 characters were decided long before the new speculation cycle, but it is nice to see. (Heck, it gives me hope maybe he'll see his chance in a future Smash game, if not Ultimate.).

Anyway, I just wanted to bring him up while we were briefly talking about our last few dream picks, since I feel like he might actually have a shot. Back to ARMS speculation.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
For a Final Smash I was actually thinking that they could sort of do what they did in the reveal trailer. One of shots towards the end is a bunch of arms getting shot towards Spring Man as he tries to jump through them to fight back. So perhaps a cinematic Mega Man/Hero team up style FS where every ARMS character shows up to attack at the same time.
Screenshot (17).png

Last edited:

SwitchButton

For a Final Smash I was actually thinking that they could sort of do what they did in the reveal trailer. One of shots towards the end is a bunch of arms getting shot towards Spring Man as he tries to jump through them to fight back. So perhaps a cinematic Mega Man/Hero team up style FS where every ARMS character shows up to attack at the same time.
A cool callback but imo a collage attack doesn't really fit an ARMS fighter. The ARMS characters aren't allies, they're rival competitors. it would kinda feel lazy. The only reason Dragon Quest did it was because those guys are walking designs with no personality, so slapping a bunch of designs together for a super attack is the only option. I think the ARMS fighters have enough personality to carry their own moveset.

Although I definitely want the entire ARMS cast to appear in some animated capacity.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
i'd take Rayman, King Boo, or if you do it Zael & Calista!
Aw yeah, The Last Story! Good to see another supporter.
True, true. Still, they seem to be promoting it a bit more than I expected. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I did raise my eyebrows a bit when the story trailer was the only thing Nintendo showed us at the game awards. It got me thinking maybe Nintendo wants NMH3 to succeed, again not unlike Bayonetta 2 and the promotion they did for that game. Not to mention Suda is friends with Sakurai and has asked him if Travis could be in Smash before. Suda is even listed as a special thanks in the credits of Brawl.

Overall, Nintendo is actively acknowledging and promoting NMH3, and it has me hopeful maybe Travis cold take one of the DLC spots to coincide with his new game releasing. But only time will tell. He was always this small guy on a previously Nintendo exclusive franchise that never sold too well or made big waves, and so I just resigned myself to "He's cool, but nobody knows who he is.". Now, more people are saying they might pick up NMH3 based on the story trailer, and in almost every recent Smash speculation video or list, Travis seems to get a mention. Of course, by now it's too late for fan demand to get him in as the pack 2 characters were decided long before the new speculation cycle, but it is nice to see. (Heck, it gives me hope maybe he'll see his chance in a future Smash game, if not Ultimate.).

Anyway, I just wanted to bring him up while we were briefly talking about our last few dream picks, since I feel like he might actually have a shot. Back to ARMS speculation.
If you count NMH3 as a Nintendo showing during TGA then they also had Bravely Default II there.

Otherwise I agree with you about how notable Nintendo's promotion of NMH3 is. It does seem to be slightly more than most third party exclusives aside from DQXI. Still, I think you're underselling NMH's popularity from the Wii era. I think most Nintendo fans know who Travis is, even before the third game was announced.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
I posted my thoughts on the likelihood of every ARMS character in a twitter thread, but I'll copy-paste it here as well:

15. Byte & Barq
As much as I love these two (they were my go-to secondary fighter!), I think they are the least likely choice, for one main reason: Barq. The stretchy arms are gimmicky enough as-is, adding in a duo-fighter mechanic would simply overcomplicate things.

14. Misango
He's cool, but he doesn't have the popularity or "star power" to stand out as the one to logically represent ARMS as a whole. Plus, his little spirit buddy poses a similar problem to Barq.

13. Springtron
He's a clone of Spring Man. Why include him over Spring Man? It would feel really weird to have Springtron playable and Spring Man as an assist trophy.

12. Lola Pop
Similar to Misango, I don't think she has the recognizability or the "star power" to be the one ARMS representative in Smash.

11. Kid Cobra
Basically the same as Misango and Lola... he doesn't "spark joy" as a contender for Smash.

10. Mechanica
Since she's just a regular girl with normal arms, her design doesn't represent ARMS as well as other characters. She's a bit higher on the list because she's one of the more recognizable ARMS characters, but I don't see her getting in.

9. Twintelle
Yeah, I know she's one of the most popular ARMS characters, but she has the same issue as Mechanica - she doesn't represent the game well, because she has normal arms! ARMS is about people with stretchy arms, so I think they're gonna add a character who has them.

8. Master Mummy
He's one of the more recognizable characters, however, I just don't see him being "the guy" to represent ARMS as a whole. The only reason I'd see Sakurai including him is for balance reasons - having the character be slow & heavy to counterbalance the crazy range.

7. Ninjara
Another fairly recognizable and well-liked character. He's basic enough in terms of design that he could feasibly represent the game as a whole. But at the same time, his design doesn't bring a whole lot of uniqueness, since we have ninjas on the roster already.

6. Spring Man
Yes, he's already an assist trophy, but who says its a hard rule that a character can't be playable and an assist? He's the poster boy of the series so it makes the most sense. However, if they were including him, I think they would have just announced him outright.

5. Helix
He's a popular, recognizable character with the perfect level of weirdness to stand out in Smash! He perfectly represents the quirkiness of ARMS, and I can't think of a better character to convey the theme of stretchiness. I think he has a decent shot of getting in.

4. Dr. Coyle
I could honestly see Dr. Coyle being included. She has a unique design, she's one of the more popular characters, and she has significance to the lore of the game. Plus, she would be unique as a female villain - I could see her piquing Sakurai's interest.

3. Max Brass
He has more than enough significance to the world of ARMS to warrant inclusion in Smash, being the final boss of the Grand Prix. Plus, he's pretty well-liked. And like I said for Master Mummy, being a heavier, slower character might be good for balance reasons.

2. Ribbon Girl
I think she's a very likely candidate given that she is basically the secondary mascot character after Spring Man. She's basic enough that she could function as a representative of the game as a whole, but is still very unique design-wise.

1. Min Min
She's one of the most popular ARMS characters, she has a unique design that would stand out in Smash, and a simple but unique mechanic (her dragon arm) that would enhance the stretchy arms gimmick rather than overcomplicate it. Plus, Min Min was the ultimate winner of the Party Crash Bash - Nintendo has used these sorts of things to guide future content, such as the Callie vs Marie splatfest, so I wouldn't put it past them to use the Party Crash results to determine who gets in Smash!

Of course, another option would be to have a multiple-characters-in-one situation by using alternate costumes - I'd go for Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, and Min Min, with one alternate palette each, a-la Hero. But if I had to bet, I'd put my money on Min Min!

Thoughts?
That's pretty much the list.

Though I'd say its still most likely to be some sort of amalgamation character moveset wise (a la Byleth), and with different characters as alts (a la Bowser Jr.)

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I’m feeling pretty good now knowing my favorite character in ARMS seems to be the most likely. And I’m hoping Min Min does make it in because of that.

Of course I’m open to any other character as well. I really liked the game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Before Ultimate was formally announced, I was pretty confident that Splatoon and ARMS would snag spots so I'm happy ARMS is getting its dues after all this time. Not everyone likes ARMS but:

-It helped launch the Switch
-It's the most successful new IP since Splatoon
-It's Nintendo's first take on a traditional fighting game since 1993

On these notes, I consider it as noteworthy as F-Zero or Pikmin at the very least.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
No matter who gets in, I think one of the unique quirks of the ARMS rep will be their grab.
It's pretty safe to say their grab will most likely have the biggest reach in the game, which will probably be balanced by the extending speed being somewhat slow and reactable.

However, there's an interesting difference between Smash and ARMS grabs, one they may or may not bring over in the transition. Instead of pulling the opponent closer, ARMS characters pull themselves to the opponent. This could lead to all kinds of fun shenanigans if retained in Smash. What if you grab an offstage opponent? My hope is this will lead to a unique air throw where you meteor smash them (Master Mummy's throw would fit this to a T). That would be so cool.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
No matter who gets in, I think one of the unique quirks of the ARMS rep will be their grab.
It's pretty safe to say their grab will most likely have the biggest reach in the game, which will probably be balanced by the extending speed being somewhat slow and reactable.

However, there's an interesting difference between Smash and ARMS grabs, one they may or may not bring over in the transition. Instead of pulling the opponent closer, ARMS characters pull themselves to the opponent. This could lead to all kinds of fun shenanigans if retained in Smash. What if you grab an offstage opponent? My hope is this will lead to a unique air throw where you meteor smash them (Master Mummy's throw would fit this to a T). That would be so cool.
Is it ok if I mention melee Marth only difference being that the arms character actually grabs the opponent from a distance instead of them warping to him?

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
A cool callback but imo a collage attack doesn't really fit an ARMS fighter. The ARMS characters aren't allies, they're rival competitors. it would kinda feel lazy. The only reason Dragon Quest did it was because those guys are walking designs with no personality, so slapping a bunch of designs together for a super attack is the only option. I think the ARMS fighters have enough personality to carry their own moveset.

Although I definitely want the entire ARMS cast to appear in some animated capacity.
That could make for a really good Hedlok-based Final Smash tho.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

They only do this if you grab while you're jumping. Otherwise you pull the opponent to yourself instead of the other way around. Because Coyle never jumps, that means she always pulls opponents to her with her grab.

Top Bottom