• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Garfont 9 - A Xenoblade series discussion thread

Which one would you rather prefer next?

• An HD remaster of Xenoblade 1

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • A port of Xenoblade X

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't have a Switch yet.

Forgive meeeeeeee.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Haven't played a Xenoblade game since 2012. XCX looked interesting, but I didn't really have the time or inclination to dive into it. These games are pretty big commitments.

XC2 just kinda further pushed me away, I'm not into the super duper anime vibe. But I hope that those who picked it up enjoyed it, sounds like it's a solid game. :)

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
I do not have XC2 quite yet and I think it will be a while until I play it, even after I do get it (due to me having other games that I haven't gotten to yet).
I still look forward to when I eventually play the game, though.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Okay first things first I have to say what happened to me... it isn't totally personal so I can share it. After 4 months of stay in US I finally return to my country and for 16+ hours I was on the plane and there's no free Wifi on the long term flights, and I aware I can play Switch on the plane, but in the reality I was a bit weary to play and I was stupid to bring carry-on three bags... so the seat was narrow (Even though I am a skinny person) so it wasn't too comfortable to play my Switch in Table top mode... nevertheless I did manage to play some XC2 on my flight.
So I'm about to finish Chapter 9 and start Chapter 10.
So.... how long have you played exactly? I have reached to chapter 5 and my total gameplay time is about 67 hours.
I avoid your last post was because well... I haven't reach to chapter 10.... and I am not rushed to.

I also consider pre-dowloading the Season Pass now, that's to say how much I like it now.
I already downloaded the season pass right about a day after I got my game.

A shame some critics have been kind of severe on this game, thus XC2 will likely meet the same fate as the 2 previous games, as to know not having strong sales, despite being released during Switch's first year. What a shame.
Tbh JRPGs don't tend to get high reviews by critics, just look at Tales of games which is an JRPG that is the third most well known series in Japan don't have high reviews, even Tales of Symphonia which is the most popular Tales of game in the west only get 86 on Metacritic. And Final Fantasy XV even though it wasn't a perfect game in the first place but it was widely anticipated by FF fans still got 81 on Metacritic as well.
At first I was you I was heavily disappointed on the review scores at first but after I got the game and played over 67 hours on this game and only in handheld mode I actually understand and even agree with some of mixed reviews points. So besure to check my in depth review later That said Kotaku and Slant's reviews are probably the most BS, especially Kotaku with start of "Didn't enjoy the first Xenoblade" made that review an immediately a lazy review... which sometimes this happens a lot on niche titles...
And about the sales, what are you talking about? It's obvious that XC2 won't have a very high sales like how FF does or even Fire Emblem does, the sales were very good in UK and Japan at least, in North America at least XC2 was No 1 on eshop for over a week. So overall it's pretty good.
Also I make use of the member-quoting no jutsu on AmericanDJ AmericanDJ @Aussie the Shinobi @Bebe Mignon @Jason the Yoshi @Megadoomer N3ON N3ON Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei @Xeno610 @Yomi's Biggest Fan and @Zebei .

Because what's wrong with you guys?

The game has been released for like 2 weeks already and nobody besides @fufubear and mario123007 mario123007 came here to make some comments about it?
What kind of nonsense is this?
OK...btw do you remember the PM I send to you?
If I didn't reply... it is either someone hasn't replied or... I just didn't have to time to....
I rend that was also because how ridiculous is that there are actually plenty of users in Nintenzone Social thread bugged by XC2's designs, they aren't great but I had mention it the design should be merely regarded as a subjective topic but some still deem the designs are "bad" or "should be changed" which is really really BS... and I got in to some unwanted debate and I eventually PM some user to delve into... and turns out their standards on female being sexualized are just absurd...
As for other people I don't really force them to... and later posts... it's understandable if some might just neglect this thread to avoid spoilers...
So with that out of the way here is my Xenoblade Chronicles 2 67 hours non spoilers review:

Forward:
I only played XC 3D on the New 3DS for over 120 hours, that said I only know the terms in Xenoblade but I am not an combat expert or anything, that said I will try my best to explain the XC2 combat as thorough as possible.
First impressions:
I bought my XC2 special edition, the box was pretty large and quite heavy, the cartridge was of course in the steel book. However, the steel book only contains the cartridge and nothing else. So if anyone wants the plastic boxart or expect the special edition to have the original boxart please aware of this.
The controls were way better than XC 3D, and so are the graphics of course even though I have said I am a huge fan of the more anime CGI style. Speaking of...
I aware the CGI isn't everyone's cup of tea but it's definitely for me, so I wasn't too disappoint on the artsyle.

In depth analysis:
(Disclaimer: the PROS, MIXED, AND CONS and merely my own personal aspects.)
PROS:
  • Again mention the new artstyle and graphics, this is very subjective but I think Xenoblade went with more modern anime artsyle like Saitou's, Nomura's and many others. Other NPCs aren't all designed by Saitou though. And landscape now is a huge improvement over XC, and on par with X. Which means
  • Characters overall are great, Pyra is awesome, Rex is awesome, Nia is awesome, even Tora is more appealing than Riki... and...
  • Cutscenes are probably the most enjoyable, they may be long but hey I enjoy watching those cutscenes, this also leads to...
  • MUSIC.. NUFF SAID
  • The fact that they you can rewatch those cutscenes is also a huge benefit, and yes, all cutscenes and switch language, and some can even change the weather and daytime. There's also more cutscenes on other stuff that I won't revel it yet...
  • The world build overall is more complex than XC, which is actually good imo, I still need to see if the complex world building will make the story epic as the first.
  • The controls is better than Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, I notice I sort of squished my numb on my New 3DS XL after hours of playing.
  • The fact that you can switch map style is great, at first I thought I will hate the all map style but sometimes it helped a lot when I am searching stuff.
  • Rare Blades... which is one of the main reason why I enjoy grinding and battling. My personal favs are Newt, Electra, Finch,and surprisingly... Floren... he's probably the best healer on my crew besides Dromarch.
  • After defeating unique monster you can just battle it again after activating the tomb stone.
  • Quest are much more easy to complete or navigate... sort of...
  • Heart to Hearts have voice actings, which is really cool.
MIXED
  • Voice acting... not all VA are perfect... Tora has the best voice for a Nopon, Pyra's English VA somewhat doesn't fit her well... but she still nails it nonetheless. Rex as long as he doesn't scream or rage he's also ok. Nia at first I have a bit of grudge on her voice but I'm getting used to it. I also give a shout out on Floren's English VA which imo his VA nails Floren's voice as a trap... I mean literally a trap, the fact that Floren can be have both manly and feminine tone is just...wow... not even Japanese VA can do this, Floren literally sounds like a girl in Japanese.
  • The cutscene were awesome but some are unusually long even though they tend to be important. Also...
  • There were unnecessary anime cliches, not a flaw but just need to mention...
  • Collecting Aux Cores and then need to refine them isn't a hassle but I'm sure it will be annoying with some Aux core that requires rare collectibles.
  • Handheld graphics isn't as bad as how some people say. It isn't perfect but I never felt that the graphic is so bad when playing. It does have minor frame drops but this doesn't happen too often.
  • Tutorials... are a bit mediocre... and you can still somewhat get tutorials by buying those infos in each regions...
  • Quest are more manageable but this also means that the quests can be pretty lengthy.
  • The battle system is okay, good when dealing with monster at higher level if you know how to do Driver combos and Blade combos right. The fact that some arts you have to get HP potions can a bit of hassle when they don't fly to your place but far away, or even in a lake or water.
  • Merc groups are cool but not really if some has huge requirements and a lot of time.
  • Having collection points are fine but sometimes can also be a hassle too
  • Affinity chart is also okay but I would also hope for skill trees to return if possible.
CONS
  • Absence of armor customization... they could have implemented it in the game at least for the drivers...maybe I will get to understand why they don't add but this is probably the biggest flaw for this game.
  • The game often has long loading time for a Switch game...
  • The map doesn't blur out the areas you haven't reach actually isn't good, and the fact that when seeing the map won't directly show you where you are is also annoying but glad this will change.
  • Unlike XC where you can still run around when choosing entering the menu, XC2 directly goes to the menu, this can be a hassle sometimes.... but oh well, it is what it is.
  • In or to cancel lock on, you have to engage into attack and then cancel your attack is annoying whenever I accidentally press R and lock on a high level enemy.
  • A character named Zeke... disappointed me a lot... his role in the game was pretty dumb and cliche...
So far these are my analysis I can think, tell me what do you guys think.
Haven't played a Xenoblade game since 2012. XCX looked interesting, but I didn't really have the time or inclination to dive into it. These games are pretty big commitments.

XC2 just kinda further pushed me away, I'm not into the super duper anime vibe. But I hope that those who picked it up enjoyed it, sounds like it's a solid game. :)
Contrary to you unfortunately I am super fond with XC2's anime style, and tbh, XC and X were also count as anime to a certain extent when it comes to the artworks. I prefer Saitou's artwork anyday, and nope I don't care if he draws hentai artworks... because as unfortunate as it maybe, many popular artists do tend to draw NSFW fanarts.
I really don't think you should be shy away from XC2 just for the sake of it being "too anime", it's an understandable reason but a bit of pity imo...
I do not have XC2 quite yet and I think it will be a while until I play it, even after I do get it (due to me having other games that I haven't gotten to yet).
I still look forward to when I eventually play the game, though.
Looking forward to that.
I actually do have lots of games on my Switch but I still play XC2 for over 70 hours already.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay.

So I beat the Xenoblade 2 two weeks ago, and I took a break during those weeks to recover as the game's ending blew me away.

I haven't felt such a thing since, well... Xenoblade 1's ending?

I've also been kind of exhausted too, playing to it for 2 weeks nearly non-stop, and I mean, really nearly non-stop.

But it was worth it.

And I also want to share a funny montage I made in roughly 20 minutes on one of Chapter 7's revelations:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
@Final Smash Gamer
Eh... Sorry
I am not gonna care about the ending for now because I haven't made much progress on the story thanks to getting Blades, rare Blades, doing quests and merc missions, defeating unique enemies etc...

D

Deleted member

I'm considering to change the thread's name.
I went with 'Colony 96' in reference to the Colonies 9 and 6 from the first game. I chose '96' as you could stick the figures together instead of the opposite in order to avoid some dirty puns and of '15' as with 9+6=15, which sounded lame to me.

Do you have some suggestions?

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I'm considering to change the thread's name.
I went with 'Colony 96' in reference to the Colonies 9 and 6 from the first game. I chose '96' as you could stick the figures together instead of the opposite in order to avoid some dirty puns and of '15' as with 9+6=15, which sounded lame to me.

Do you have some suggestions?
No idea for now... maybe switch it to more XC2 related title I guess?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
"Giants, aliens and nopons"

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well ive reached the start the final chapter of xenoblade 2 and i have loved it all

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
well ive reached the start the final chapter of xenoblade 2 and i have loved it all
Good.. I guess
I am still at chapter 5, busying getting the rare Blades and Kill unique monsters etc...

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Good.. I guess
I am still at chapter 5, busying getting the rare Blades and Kill unique monsters etc...
yeah getting all the rare blades is gonna be quite the task ive still got a fair few to go

i suppose thats the trouble with something thats down to luck

EDIT: just got two more rare blades, one which i believe is a reference to xenosaga and one that i understand there was a bit of controversy about

very disturbing

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
yeah getting all the rare blades is gonna be quite the task ive still got a fair few to go

i suppose thats the trouble with something thats down to luck

EDIT: just got two more rare blades, one which i believe is a reference to xenosaga and one that i understand there was a bit of controversy about

very disturbing
I think you got KOS-MOS and Dahlia...

KOS-MOS IS from Xenosaga, not just a reference. I haven't got her yet...

Dahlia, Member already got her, and no, there wasn't any controversy...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think you got KOS-MOS and Dahlia...

KOS-MOS IS from Xenosaga, not just a reference. I haven't got her yet...

Dahlia, Member already got her, and no, there wasn't any controversy...
that's the exact two i got

dhalia is the most horrifying thing ive seen in this game and i definitely heard there was some negative reaction to her on the web

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
that's the exact two i got

dhalia is the most horrifying thing ive seen in this game and i definitely heard there was some negative reaction to her on the web
Well...
Her Level IV special was indeed... doing all kinds of sexy pose and then the driver does a strong kick... but hey, her sexy pose heals you... so I got no problem with that...
And it seems that her voice type was a bit different from the Japanese version according to censor gaming's recent video about XC2 changes outside of Japan. Most were obvious and already know ever since the Blade's name reveal like Blade's name were mostly changed and different from the Japanese such as Pyra's Japanse name is Homura... while common Blade still has their Japanese name unchanged. I haven't watch the entire video due to the fact that Rex's outfit is a bit of a spoiler... but I doubt there's any huge or unnecessary censorship on any of the female characters outfit...
And again, those negative reactions on the internet are actually just a minor rail... and they are cancerous...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Well...
Her Level IV special was indeed... doing all kinds of sexy pose and then the driver does a strong kick... but hey, her sexy pose heals you... so I got no problem with that...
And it seems that her voice type was a bit different from the Japanese version according to censor gaming's recent video about XC2 changes outside of Japan. Most were obvious and already know ever since the Blade's name reveal like Blade's name were mostly changed and different from the Japanese such as Pyra's Japanse name is Homura... while common Blade still has their Japanese name unchanged. I haven't watch the entire video due to the fact that Rex's outfit is a bit of a spoiler... but I doubt there's any huge or unnecessary censorship on any of the female characters outfit...
And again, those negative reactions on the internet are actually just a minor rail... and they are cancerous...
i still find her disturbing

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
and finished the story

nice ending, the connections to the first game were cool, still a few unanswered questions, aint that always the way?

guess ill finish off the side quests and try and find the remaining rare blades, cant have many left

EDIT: oh i do apologize, i didnt realize i was double posting in my excitement over having completed it

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I beat Xenoblade 2 yesterday.
My general thoughts on the game is that I loved Xenoblade 2, but I find the original to be better overall and it hooked me more than 2 did in terms of story. The gameplay is better than both games but I think X has the better combat. I do love the world, the areas that you visit, and the lore is rather nice. The soundtrack is absolutely amazing and I love it more than X's soundtrack.
If you love RPGs, I do highly recommend it.
If there is one thing I would change, it would be the gacha elements. 100 hours later and I still couldn't get KOS-MOS.
As for who my favorite character is, it's easily Nia.

The thing with Xenoblade 2's story is that it didn't hook me immediately. It had a lot of interesting elements for sure, but my interest in the story grew over time after Chapter 6 where Pyra lets herself get captured by Malos and Jin. I wanted to know what happens next in the story after that moment.

What I didn't expect, and what caught me off-guard, was its links to Xenoblade 1 with Malos using Monado Arts, the ending to Xenoblade 1 being replayed in Xenoblade 2's Chapter 10 beginning, and the fact that Klaus is the architect with Zanza being his evil half. The fact the two stories run parallel with each other, as evidenced during the final fight in Xenoblade 2 where you hear Shulk say his final line before slaying Zanza, is rather interesting.

As for what happened to the last Aegis, I wouldn't be too surprised if the last one happened to be Alvis from Xenoblade 1 and I can see that be the case. I guess that would mean Alvis is a Blade and is the most advanced and knowledgable Blade in that case with his powers amplified from both Malos and Mythra. Not only does he have access to more powerful versions of Monado Arts, but Visions are a massive step-up from Mythra's Foresight. I do hope there is DLC that touches on the last of the Aegis... part of me thinks that the Core Crystal somehow got in Xenoblade 1's world and Zanza used it to get the Monado and attack the Mechonis.

Other than the links between Xenoblade 1 and 2, I do like how the game went for a more political approach and commentary. Although I loved Xenoblade 1's more philosophical approach with its plot more, the political approach is more relevant in this day and age.

As for why my favorite character is Nia...
Initially I was on the fence between her, Morag, and Zeke, but Nia became my favorite when she talked down on Rex during his most depressing moment. He was going to give up, but Nia wasn't going to let that happen and was going to save Pyra herself if she had to. I thought I wasn't going to like her as much because she kind of has a tsundere personality, but that isn't the case really. She also has the best character development and progression, after finally stepping out of her shell to reveal that she is a Blade. I felt so bad for her when she got friend-zoned by Rex... though at least she didn't get it as bad as Melia.

Overall, I loved the game and I might do the DLC sidequests some day.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I beat Xenoblade 2 yesterday.
I know it is not wrong to finish the game like merely for month. Me who bought Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at launch still at chapter 6. I haven't finish chapter 5 for over a month, it was until today I started chapter 6.

D

Deleted member

I know it is not wrong to finish the game like merely for month. Me who bought Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at launch still at chapter 6. I haven't finish chapter 5 for over a month, it was until today I started chapter 6.
Just take your time and go at your own pace.
I honestly don't have as much time to play games nowadays and I wanted to be done with Xenoblade 2, so I quickened my pace towards the end.

I am looking forward to the update next week and I might do the DLC quests. I won't start New Game Plus... I don't have time to do that.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Just take your time and go at your own pace.
I literally spend the entire January at chapter 5....
If you are curious, I spend time on completing quests, search locations, completing Blade's affinity, do merc missions, and last but not least... get rare Blades...
When I have two left that are available from random resonate... Nim and KOS MOS...
And no I still haven't got them, I was hoping get at least one of them before advancing to chapter 6...

And my thoughts on chapter 5 and early chapter 6...
Chapter 5
- Despite I sort of have minor spoilers when surfing Youtube's thumbnail, there still many things that confuses me.
- So Jin is a Blade... what happened to him?
- Jin obviously has crush on Haze's old driver.... and Mythra probably killed her by accident... but we'll see...
- RIP Fan... or Haze... and yeah, I expect something bad happen to Haze but I didn't expect her to "die"/ "killed" by Jin, and obviously we know she looks like her old driver a lot so Jin got some bad memories after killing her...
- Even though she is dead, conversation between Mythra and Nia was also interesting... that means she isn't really dead, but that's just me being optimistic of course...
- And Zeke's true identity kind of surprises me, glad that he is not a minor troll character, now he does have a purpose... that said, I felt like he is more a main character then Rex at this time... LOL
Chapter 6 (early)
- My prediction... Nial (Mor Ardain Emperor, Morag's brother) is gonna die/ get assassinated ...(Please anyone don't spoil this when replying to this) since we already saw his Blade was actually the one we can get.
But then again I have completed Newt's Blade quest before this, which involves with Nial... so then again...if he really dies then if anyone got Newt after that then how will her quest be complete? Will it be altered? But then again...
Newt and the crew has to find Nial to complete the trail... when they found him they were surrounded by a few mock soldiers who was planning to kill the emperor... so this means Nial can't die in the entire game (I think, not sure if there are any Blade quest that are time limited), and Nial's Blade wasn't with him in the quest, so maybe something odd happened?I know overdrive protocol is a thing as a key item but is it cannon in game that one person can "give" its Blade to another without dying?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There was a problem fetching the tweet
The RNG is a chore to sit through, but there's some satisfaction from getting one of the last remaining Rare Blades.

Fun game, though.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
There was a problem fetching the tweet
The RNG is a chore to sit through, but there's some satisfaction from getting one of the last remaining Rare Blades.

Fun game, though.
I already got the controversial Dahlia,and like most people still no KOS MOS.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
well i dont know anything about my missing blades so i couldnt really
Well, I have spend months of getting all the rare Blades... and also doing sidequests...

My brothers and sis are playing Xenoblade 2 as well... which is like wow.... when you consider them aren't really a huge Xenoblade fan like me. One of my brother had played Xenoblade on New 3DS, but he merely plays the plot...

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yesterday I defeat that Level 130 monster...

Eventually...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One I got KOS MOS, and finish the quest... I will swiftly and complete the story... just not sure when...

Top Bottom