• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Game Modes? King of the Brawl

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sorry it has been so long since my last post, but I’m back now and….. It’s on now.

On September 18, which will forever be known in smash history as a day of liberation and celebration, Sakurai announced that Brawl will feature Wifi support. Online gaming isn’t new to this gen. And if you’re a PC gamer, onlineplay is commonplace. We did not get to this point without our doubts. Even some of our most outspoken supporters of online-brawl had doubts whether Sakurai and team could get it working with four players. Regardless, we have the support we’ve dreamed for. Many are completely satisfied with what little we know of Brawl wifi, which is, so far, a simple extension of what we’ve have of Melee’s versus mode. In other words, like most online modes, it is merely a convenient version of offline play. However, this doesn’t have to be true for Brawl. As always, the potential to reach beyond what has already been done (especially for fighters) is through the roof. It’s time to consider new modes for Brawl, but this time one that would NOT be possible offline.

Kicking off this new series of blog posts, I suppose I call this new mode <strong>King of the Brawl</strong>.<!--more-->

This is the ultimate free-for-all mode. Up to four players enter a free for all match with a limited amount of stamina set. Let’s say 50hp. Each player only has one stock/chance to fight. If you manage to knock out all all of an opponent’s stamina, you get half of your total HP restored. If you take someone out by ringout (meaning they still have HP left when they explode off the screen) you get all of your HP restored. Because the HP limit can be changed, the dominant strategy of the match is dynamic. With the low max HP at 30-40, a good string of tilt attacks will take out anyone. This focuses the playstyle to quick changes in momentum and the strategies to quick attacks. With a high max HP at 100-130, ringouts becomes the dominant strategy. Not only can you efficiently kill opponents with ring outs at high and low damages, but you can restore more HP this way thus having a better chance of survival. The best part of King of the Brawl is, when you die, you’re taken out of the match and another player is dropped in all in real time.

When any player is killed, a new player is dropped into the match. These players would either be random players from the internet, or you can set up queue/list of your friends to play with. In list play, the turn around from being knocked out and getting back into the game can be very quick. If you get knocked out, don’t worry. It won’t be too long until you’re right back in the action. If you’re playing random players online, you get one chance to hold your ground literally against the world of smashers. If you lose in random play, you don’t get put at the bottom of a small list of combatants. Instead, you get thrown back into the ocean of matchmaking. You <em>could </em>end up fighting in the same King of the Brawl match, but chances are, after you lose once, your chance for redeeming yourself in that match is gone.

Players who just want to have an organized way for lots of players to smash together won’t have to worry about who’s winning and losing overall. Just do your best to survive as long as you can. But for those of us who like winning, there is a variety of ways to win. Whoever stays in the match the longest after a set amount of time could win. Or whoever gets the most overall kills could win. If you don’t think either of these options is good enough, that’s fine. From this base, a combo system could be implemented that’s a hybrid of time and kills. Perhaps, the more kills you get without dying adds time multipliers to your time score. Or perhaps the longer you stay in a match, the more points you get for each kill. With both of these hybrids, the winning player would be the target of attack. In order to stand a chance of winning, the current leader of the match must be taken out or else they’ll gain too much momentum. If you happen to be the target of a free-for-all match, can you survive against three other opponents? If you’re not the king, would you take the opportunity to pick on one the unsuspecting players? Hey, in a free (for all) world, all is fair game.

It’s easy to imagine King of the Brawl with teams and other variations to the rules. Let your imagination run wild. I know Sakurai is.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I'm just glad to se your back Kirbykid. I like your idea of the whole internet elimination King of Brawl idea and I support it completely. I don't know if Sakurai would implement such a thing for online though or really anything past the basics. He seems to put his creativity into the off line portions and SSE.

I should stop this pessimism though and just put encouraging words and in which case I know Online will be nothing less than grand

Nice post again Kirbykid and I await your continuations of enhanced character movesets

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Meh.
I read the blog to be informed on things not falling under the catagory of abstract ideas.
Those go in general brawl discussion.
Also, this seems way too complicated for Sakurai to even attempt to implement, but thats just my opinion.
Meh again.

Finn Macool

Smash Apprentice
There should be some sort od online round robin with stock carrying over to the next game where the winner continues and the loser drops out and is replaced

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
Meh.
I read the blog to be informed on things not falling under the catagory of abstract ideas.
Also, this seems way too complicated for Sakurai to even attempt to implement, but thats just my opinion.
Meh again.
It's good to hear that you read the blog for some purpose. Abstract idea? Abstract eh?

Too complicated for Sakurai? The guy who brought us Melee and all of it's complexities?

It's too bad that I write my blogs to get people thinking in new ways. I guess you're not in the market for that?

It's hard to respond to Meh comments because they're so.... meh.

AniMaL 214

Smash Journeyman
important

i've been on this siteee 4 a loonngg timmeeeeee but i mostly like 2 read the comments and not post but i had to hear somthing bothered me SAKURAI said a looong time ago that he is aiming to make this game slower then melee and from the recent video of snake im sure some have noticed. he says he did this to make the game easier easier for noob and stuff because melee if your good enough was so rediculously technical. RESULT - it seems that moves are ALOT more combo friendly if u know what i mean and moves are alot more powerful i dont know how slow the game will actualyl be but i can assure you it will be diffrent

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I kind of like this idea, but the chances of it happening are far too slim. Sakurai is already struggling enough to implement NORMAL-ish game modes.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Meh.
Meh again.
Are you kidding me? It's in the realm of abstarct that the most cretive are made. No offense to Mic but his updates are just reiterations of the Dojo. It's updates like these that makes me enjoy these blogs. You really haven't read many of Kirbykid's updates obviously because he has made some astounding updates that make the reader look back at melee and apreciate the game in an entirely new way. He's a soon to be game developer so his updates are a little more valid and logical than an average smash discussion blogger

Don't dis the KrazyKirbykid

wow....
i'm too shocked but i think it is kind of intresting and i guess you have a point
:psycho:
Hey Princess, I've tried to PM you but couldn't. I wanted to see if you wanted to join my (and few other blogger's) clan. This page is down here

http://groups.myspace.com/index.cfm...n=66A8062E-C5C6-4DC3-B8240E5EB2DE02FD23643928

all you have to do is get a myspace account and join the shining fist group. ^_^ (sorry I had to do this on a blog. I tried eveything else and this is the only section PP comments on)

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
I like this idea. I'm a huge fan of Stamina Mode, and would do anything to get my hands on a game mode that gives me reason to play it more. Stamina Mode matches run far too short, and if I can heal myself while keeping items out of the match, then that means it's competitive and skill based all at the same time.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I like this idea. I'm a huge fan of Stamina Mode, and would do anything to get my hands on a game mode that gives me reason to play it more. Stamina Mode matches run far too short, and if I can heal myself while keeping items out of the match, then that means it's competitive and skill based all at the same time.
Yeah, I really feel Sakurai has denied the grat Stamina mode of all it's rights. I just hope it multiple stock in speial brawl.

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
i've been on this siteee 4 a loonngg timmeeeeee but i mostly like 2 read the comments and not post but i had to hear somthing bothered me SAKURAI said a looong time ago that he is aiming to make this game slower then melee and from the recent video of snake im sure some have noticed. he says he did this to make the game easier easier for noob and stuff because melee if your good enough was so rediculously technical. RESULT - it seems that moves are ALOT more combo friendly if u know what i mean and moves are alot more powerful i dont know how slow the game will actualyl be but i can assure you it will be diffrent
There are a few things we should keep in mind.

1) A slower game would make online smoother. And if you're read my 10 things wrong with Melee, it's speed was too high. But even talking about this topic is tricky. A lot of different things make up game speed. Try playing wtihout L canceling. The speed quickly drops, but the game is still "fast paced." Have you tried playing single button melee. This a stripped down version of smash, but you're still racking your brain to out do your opponent and it feels faster than it is. Speed is all in the mind. Therefore, if all the attacks came out at the same kinds of speeds as melee, but L canceling was gone, or different, then it game would be just as fast but slower, right?

2) The players in the footage would simply demonstrating the game. It could have been AI. I saw Mario walk straight into Snakes attacks. Don't leave it up to those guys to show you how the game can really be played. This is also why it seemed combo friendly.

I kind of like this idea, but the chances of it happening are far too slim. Sakurai is already struggling enough to implement NORMAL-ish game modes.
Just think about Melee for a moment. Tons of modes and options, but they weren't complete yet. Now think how much Sakurai has learned, how much extra time and money he has. and consider that he's going through Melee with a fine toothed comb and fixing everything.

I say... believe!

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Just think about Melee for a moment. Tons of modes and options, but they weren't complete yet. Now think how much Sakurai has learned, how much extra time and money he has. and consider that he's going through Melee with a fine toothed comb and fixing everything.

I say... believe!

I say... QFT.

Sakurai is making this a stupendous game (I always loved using that word) and the recent gameplay clip shows just how far he's come. The actual fighting aspect of gameplay seems finished and finalized, but I'll bet Sora is just adding in the finishing touches with more game modes, collectibles, items, stages, and probably a few more characters.

EDIT:
{*cough*SonicTheHedgehog*cough*}

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
you know, that would be awesome. i hope the amount of stamina you have is editable, so that even if it isn't a mode, we can still do something like it.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
you know, that would be awesome. i hope the amount of stamina you have is editable, so that even if it isn't a mode, we can still do something like it.
OR multiple lives in Stamina Mode;
AND the fallen bodies of your opponents could be used as items.

EDIT:
AND their bodies should still be able to be sucked up and have their abilities absorbed by Kirby.
(Because there's nothing in the Kirby series that says Kirby can't take special abilities from things that are dead.)

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
I loved killing myself as Pichu in Stamina mode for Melee * Pichu with 1 hp left, does Thunder PICHU!!! *thunder hits Pichu* Pichu starts screaming and just drops* XDDDDDDDD

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
OR multiple lives in Stamina Mode;
AND the fallen bodies of your opponents could be used as items.

EDIT:
AND their bodies should still be able to be sucked up and have their abilities absorbed by Kirby.
(Because there's nothing in the Kirby series that says Kirby can't take special abilities from things that are dead.)
i feel multiple lives is a given (special brawl pics) but 99 lives starting off with 1hp? the stage would be riddled with dead bodies. awesome.

PRINCESS PEACH 777

Smash Lord
Are you kidding me? It's in the realm of abstarct that the most cretive are made. No offense to Mic but his updates are just reiterations of the Dojo. It's updates like these that makes me enjoy these blogs. You really haven't read many of Kirbykid's updates obviously because he has made some astounding updates that make the reader look back at melee and apreciate the game in an entirely new way. He's a soon to be game developer so his updates are a little more valid and logical than an average smash discussion blogger

Don't dis the KrazyKirbykid

Hey Princess, I've tried to PM you but couldn't. I wanted to see if you wanted to join my (and few other blogger's) clan. This page is down here

http://groups.myspace.com/index.cfm...n=66A8062E-C5C6-4DC3-B8240E5EB2DE02FD23643928

all you have to do is get a myspace account and join the shining fist group. ^_^ (sorry I had to do this on a blog. I tried eveything else and this is the only section PP comments on)
thank you Homeless....i already have your wii code so please take mine:)

EarthboundMun

Smash Cadet
Stamina mode is great and all, but I just don't see it being used much, let alone in online play. It's certainly a good idea, don't get me wrong, but there are other things I'd love to see before it. First, Tournament Mode having online play. Huge 32 player online tournaments played in real-time would be, suffice to say, incredibly awesome. Similarly, since the normal Online Play is going the way of Pokemon Battle Revolution, anything complicated, let alone as elaborate as a King of the Brawl mode would probably never see the light of day.

This would've been a great idea if, say, they had decided to have a main hub/lobby where you could pick and choose games, like I'd hoped would be the case, but since it's not.. just wishful thinking.

mcs

Smash Cadet
topic= WIN

when i read this earlier it got me thinking...what about..
recorded matches
variations of king of the brawl (ex: king of the race :race-type match: not too fast... kinda like the ssbm rainbow cruise level only you fight as you move.)
the division of smash balls.
i thought about most of this at school btw:cool:.

off topic: sonic would ULTRA PWN at king of the race. same for falco/fox .

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
It's good to hear that you read the blog for some purpose. Abstract idea? Abstract eh?

Too complicated for Sakurai? The guy who brought us Melee and all of it's complexities?

It's too bad that I write my blogs to get people thinking in new ways. I guess you're not in the market for that?

It's hard to respond to Meh comments because they're so.... meh.
I suppose abstract wasn't the appropriate word.
I mean ideas that arent based on something already existing in the smash universe.
Also, Ideas this specific, though they may be amazing, can't really be hoped for without settling for some different version of the original.
No offense was meant to be taken from my original post.
I hope my point is clear, though I have a feeling it isn't :urg:

Falco_Phoenix

Smash Cadet
I already thought of this... Except without the stamina. Looks like a lot more thought was put into this one, though. I think this mode would kick ***. It just seems like there would be a lot of waiting...

kirbykid

BRoomer
BRoomer
This would've been a great idea if, say, they had decided to have a main hub/lobby where you could pick and choose games, like I'd hoped would be the case, but since it's not.. just wishful thinking.
Wait just a minute. I know Sakurai has shown us a bit of what the wifi mode will be like, but keep in mind, that's only a tip of the iceberg. Like with all of the updates, there's more unsaid than said. Also, the wifi options are so many that he couldn't hope to describe everything in one (a large one at that) update.

You think you can't search for specific game types....I think there's more to it. Nintendo has been slowly learning that with online gaming for games with many different types of play, lobbies/rooms are needed. Mario Strikers really only has one way to play, so don't use that as an example.

Battalion Wars Wii has multiple ways to play.

We just have to trust Sakurai.

EarthboundMun

Smash Cadet
Wait just a minute. I know Sakurai has shown us a bit of what the wifi mode will be like, but keep in mind, that's only a tip of the iceberg. Like with all of the updates, there's more unsaid than said. Also, the wifi options are so many that he couldn't hope to describe everything in one (a large one at that) update.

You think you can't search for specific game types....I think there's more to it. Nintendo has been slowly learning that with online gaming for games with many different types of play, lobbies/rooms are needed. Mario Strikers really only has one way to play, so don't use that as an example.

Battalion Wars Wii has multiple ways to play.

We just have to trust Sakurai.
Fair enough. I'll keep my fingers crossed, then.

Top Bottom