• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New form of Attack?

DRM4R10

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, do you think that the new Super Smash bros. is going to have a new form of attack?

Super Smash Bros. melee had the Side special and Up throw and down throw
and Super Smash Bros. brawl had the final smashes
(I think I may have missed a few attacks but that's not really important)
so do what new kind of attack do you think there might be?
share your opinions below.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I feel like if there was going to be some new fundamental gameplay element, if would have been shown off at E3.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Maybe a final smash button, it wouldn't really be new but it would free up the B button for your regular special move.
Possibly removing the A button as the throw item button, so you can still do your neutral A combo.
A 4th Taunt perhaps?

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I feel like if there was going to be some new fundamental gameplay element, if would have been shown off at E3.
Hmmmm, it just occurred to me that Brawl had its big reveal at E3 and then was released before the following E3. But if Smash 4 is intended to come out in the second half of 2014, that won't be the case - it will have two E3s.

If that's the case, then that might explain why there wasn't as much revealed compared to Brawl.

But anyhow, I'm not sure how many new moves they can add for everybody, particularly if they intend to make the Wiimote+Nunchuk or Wiimote alone possible control methods. I'm guessing they won't make the analog shoulder buttons terribly relevant since the GamePad and Wii U Pro Controller don't have analog shoulder buttons.

Certainly they can expand on characters' moves in ways similar to what they've already done for some characters. Samus's missiles are different for tilt B and smash B - that's certainly a distinction they could introduce to other moves, including down B and up B moves.

They could introduce some kind of mid-air grab/throw.

That's all I got for now.

grizby2

Smash Lord
they should make it so that "ground only" moves now have another option while in the air. (like DK's Down-B)

I don't recall if melee did this, but in brawl, each character had two different ledge attacks. 1 for below 100% dmg, and another for above 100% dmg. maybe we'll get something like that for ground recovery attacks. (you know, when a character is just lying on the ground from being hit?)

also...how about air grabs?! (half trolling)

maybe different F-tilts depending on weather you're tip-toeing or walking.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Aerial Smash Attacks and creating a new type of attack to put onto either X or Y.
That would be an interesting concept. As far as Final Smashes go, I'm hoping they keep that as an item and not some new special attack that is obtained through plenty of combos and damage.

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
That would be an interesting concept. As far as Final Smashes go, I'm hoping they keep that as an item and not some new special attack that is obtained through plenty of combos and damage.
I dunno about that....I think if they made it so that a Final Smash was activated if a player managed to survive over 200% damage, that would be pretty fair, since it seems like a lot of players die before that marker in this game anyways.
It could be a reward for being capable of surviving vast amounts of punishment through pure skill.
Just my two cents.

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
they should make it so that "ground only" moves now have another option while in the air. (like DK's Down-B)

I don't recall if melee did this, but in brawl, each character had two different ledge attacks. 1 for below 100% dmg, and another for above 100% dmg. maybe we'll get something like that for ground recovery attacks. (you know, when a character is just lying on the ground from being hit?)

also...how about air grabs?! (half trolling)

maybe different F-tilts depending on weather you're tip-toeing or walking.
I could go for air grabbing, actually, but it would have to have two prerequisites; they all would be designed to bring both combatants back down to earth before the victim was tossed in the direction the thrower pressed, instead of sending a player flying right after being grabbed like when on the ground, and the window and ease of escape from an air grab would be a bit easier to balance it out.
Also, if the opponent escapes, it turns into a foot-stool animation on the one who tried to throw them, but the throws are more powerful than ground throws by virtue of the thrower getting some added power from the descent.
Risk vs reward.

superorez

Smash Rookie
I'm thinking that bowling ball move the villager uses is a new type of attack. he's only used it on the ledge so far.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I'd like to see forward smash and back smash be different moves so it would matter what direction you face. It would add an additional smash move which would make things super interesting.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
A 4th taunt would be nice, and I kind of expect it. (Seperating left/right taunts. Side-taunts always felt wierd when the d-pad did literally nothing else.)

As for a new attack, the only one I can think of is a Back-Smash. (Sort of like throws) but I think that'd create issues based on character placement, and just feel weird in general. Or something. It's late.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think characters should swim now, it slightly slows down the start-up and delay just a little, there's more, now there is a twirl attack, each character has a special kind of twirl attack.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think characters should swim now, it slightly slows down the start-up and delay just a little, there's more, now there is a twirl attack, each character has a special kind of twirl attack.

Couldn't the characters already swim in Brawl? (While still drowning if they swim for too long or if their damage percentage is high) Unless you meant swimming underwater? Attacking while swimming is a pretty good idea I guess.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
brawl- had a cool concept but here's an example

g&w in brawl- has 2 nair attacks, if you tap A, you get the fishbowl but if you hold A, you get his parachute (melee status)

this seems like it could expand options to the cast if done right without having to do a different input

Uffe

Smash Hero
I dunno about that....I think if they made it so that a Final Smash was activated if a player managed to survive over 200% damage, that would be pretty fair, since it seems like a lot of players die before that marker in this game anyways.
It could be a reward for being capable of surviving vast amounts of punishment through pure skill.
Just my two cents.
I was thinking about it and I guess it wouldn't be so bad. Throwing a Final Smash into the mix of a combo could look cool.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Brawl also added pivot grabs, crawling and wall clinging. Movement stuff, eh. (and dropping a platform from your shield ? idk about that, actually)
I hope they continue going that way, I welcomed those three things wholeheartedly.

I would like air dashes : they'd use your double jump, but give an horizontal thrust. The problem would be 'how to perform them without it being an annoyance' :C

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
A Wild Card Move

A move that can only be used once per match.
It wouldn't be OP in any way.
Just a fresh breeze to the series.

Some characters would have an offensive Wild Card, some a defensive.

Use it wisely ~

VA3TO

Smash Apprentice
Personally I've gotten into League of Legends recently and the one thing that I can take from that is....

Passive Abilities.

The same way Link's shield can block projectiles giving him the opportunity to attack faster than an out of shield UP-B. Although not very practical it's the thought behind it.

Lucario's AURA is another great example. Little things like these that add more depth and learning your character to implement into a characters play style.

I personally have no idea about other passive abilities but i'll give it a shot:

Captain Falcon - After landing a third "Knee of justice" in one combo (Yes I expect combos in this game) adds considerable more knock back, almost guaranteeing a K.O.

Pikachu - After landing 5 electric based special moves consecutively adds a Static debuff that adds an extra 5-10% to opponent over a period of time.

Little things like that I think would be a nice touch, although ALL up for debate.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Personally I've gotten into League of Legends recently and the one thing that I can take from that is....

Passive Abilities.

The same way Link's shield can block projectiles giving him the opportunity to attack faster than an out of shield UP-B. Although not very practical it's the thought behind it.

Lucario's AURA is another great example. Little things like these that add more depth and learning your character to implement into a characters play style.

I personally have no idea about other passive abilities but i'll give it a shot:

Captain Falcon - After landing a third "Knee of justice" in one combo (Yes I expect combos in this game) adds considerable more knock back, almost guaranteeing a K.O.

Pikachu - After landing 5 electric based special moves consecutively adds a Static debuff that adds an extra 5-10% to opponent over a period of time.

Little things like that I think would be a nice touch, although ALL up for debate.
Yeah, Sakurai usually calls those 'flavors'. But he's not very good at designing them : Sonic's flavor, in example, is 'hits fast, can't reliably kill'. Pichu's flavor is 'gets damaged when he attacks'. Pokémon Trainer's is 'the longer you stay, the weaker you become'. Flavors like that end up making the character unviable in competitive play.
That said, he's proven he learned from past mistakes more than once. And I already guessed that Wii Fit Trainer would be a reverse Pichu, that has like one chance out of ten to heal 5% when she attacks (you know... healthy moves... motivational shouts... all that stuff...).

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410

Passive Abilities.

I actually like this idea. Adds extra depth to competitive play and if mentioned isn't something that will scare away casual play.

VA3TO

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, Sakurai usually calls those 'flavors'. But he's not very good at designing them : Sonic's flavor, in example, is 'hits fast, can't reliably kill'. Pichu's flavor is 'gets damaged when he attacks'. Pokémon Trainer's is 'the longer you stay, the weaker you become'. Flavors like that end up making the character unviable in competitive play.
That said, he's proven he learned from past mistakes more than once. And I already guessed that Wii Fit Trainer would be a reverse Pichu, that has like one chance out of ten to heal 5% when she attacks (you know... healthy moves... motivational shouts... all that stuff...).

I can understand what you are coming from but here is where Sakurai is going wrong.

Each "flavour" adds a debuff or a negative affect towards the character as opposed to a bonus. Its making the character have a negative effect for something positive. If for example, the Pokemon Trainers Pokemon gained more EXP during the fight and adds 3% more attack damage to his Smash Attacks and if switched out or KO'd removes this effect. This way you have to strategies to keep your strongest and most usable Pokemon out instead of having weaker ones.

Although adding percent for attacks seems quite overpowered but again that can be reworked.

DRM4R10

Smash Apprentice
Lol guess who would be top tier if that was true. (at WFT)

TreK

Is "that guy"
I can understand what you are coming from but here is where Sakurai is going wrong.

Each "flavour" adds a debuff or a negative affect towards the character as opposed to a bonus. Its making the character have a negative effect for something positive. If for example, the Pokemon Trainers Pokemon gained more EXP during the fight and adds 3% more attack damage to his Smash Attacks and if switched out or KO'd removes this effect. This way you have to strategies to keep your strongest and most usable Pokemon out instead of having weaker ones.

Although adding percent for attacks seems quite overpowered but again that can be reworked.
I've been unfair in my summary, he indeed gives them counterparts : Pichu hits harder than Pikachu, Sonic still has his speed, and Pokémon Trainer... Well I'm not too sure about this one haha. Point is, you could view them as positive flavors, with a negative counterpart. In example, when his aura is at 0, Lucario's most brutal move deals a whopping... 7%. That's his negative counterpart to a positive passive. Except that it's not bad enough to make him unviable, and thus we only remember the good aspect of it.

So what I meant is that while Sakurai's ideas for character design are usually very interesting, his execution is often lacking.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
In E3, Samus angled her uptilt and Megamans is able to throw his metal blade in 8 different direction. Nothing special but it may be interpreted as an indication, if used correctly, of some sort of new attack(s). However, I personally don't want any new changes to the game that might effect it.

Top Bottom