• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Diddy thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

kells

Smash Rookie
I found a new move with Diddy and just so you know, I'm going to deny myself the pleasure of naming it after myself. Just kidding :) Anyway, let me start with a short statement about spikes to clarify the usefulness of this move. Most of you know there are two types of spikes. The first is the kind where the character pulls back briefly before attacking with a very strong downward spike (think of a Dair from Falcon, Ganon, or Donkey). This type is functional but the pull-back before the move is a big red warning sign that it's coming. The second is a much more vicious form of spike that comes out instantly and can usually send even a low-percentage opponent to their doom with very little forewarning. Falco's Dair in melee is a perfect example of this (although in brawl it only functions as a spike at the very beginning of the move, it's still pretty mean). I say all this just to clarify that although Diddy already has a functional spike in his Dair, an instant spike would be a welcome addition to his repertoire, especially with the no-risk air-dodging negating many aerial moves that have pull-back before the attack. Alrighty, now I'll get to the point. If you can position yourself over your opponent while they're trying to recover, the exhaust from the initial explosion of Diddy's Rocketbarrell will act as an instant spike. It has no forewarning, and it's strong enough to push relatively low-percentage opponents to an early demise at the bottom of the screen. You may have to try it a few times since the hit-box for the spike function is a bit picky, but eventually it'll become very natural, and it adds a great new aspect of Diddy strategy to the map. The only downside (and it really goes without saying) is that if you miss, it's Diddy's third jump so you need to make sure that you make it back to the stage. Of course, if you do miss the spike, chances are good that you were close enough to at least hit your opponent with the other non-spiking part of the explosion, giving you a little bit more time to focus on recovering safely from your third-jump helpless frames.
Later!

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
I found a new move with Diddy and just so you know, I'm going to deny myself the pleasure of naming it after myself. Just kidding :) Anyway, let me start with a short statement about spikes to clarify the usefulness of this move. Most of you know there are two types of spikes. The first is the kind where the character pulls back briefly before attacking with a very strong downward spike (think of a Dair from Falcon, Ganon, or Donkey). This type is functional but the pull-back before the move is a big red warning sign that it's coming. The second is a much more vicious form of spike that comes out instantly and can usually send even a low-percentage opponent to their doom with very little forewarning. Falco's Dair in melee is a perfect example of this (although in brawl it only functions as a spike at the very beginning of the move, it's still pretty mean). I say all this just to clarify that although Diddy already has a functional spike in his Dair, an instant spike would be a welcome addition to his repertoire, especially with the no-risk air-dodging negating many aerial moves that have pull-back before the attack. Alrighty, now I'll get to the point. If you can position yourself over your opponent while they're trying to recover, the exhaust from the initial explosion of Diddy's Rocketbarrell will act as an instant spike. It has no forewarning, and it's strong enough to push relatively low-percentage opponents to an early demise at the bottom of the screen. You may have to try it a few times since the hit-box for the spike function is a bit picky, but eventually it'll become very natural, and it adds a great new aspect of Diddy strategy to the map. The only downside (and it really goes without saying) is that if you miss, it's Diddy's third jump so you need to make sure that you make it back to the stage. Of course, if you do miss the spike, chances are good that you were close enough to at least hit your opponent with the other non-spiking part of the explosion, giving you a little bit more time to focus on recovering safely from your third-jump helpless frames.
Later!
The barrell spike is quite known by the smash community, I think it's just too risky, one poke will kill diddy if he attempts it >_<

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
Later!
i kinda feel bad for you.

Brahma

Smash Journeyman
The thing is that barrel spike telegraphs itself unless you charge it. If you just tap up+B, it is fast, but you can only use it at a certain distance from the edge or you SD with it. Dair is quick enough and has the flexibility to be used about anywhere off the edge.

Frostspin

Smash Rookie
Diddy hump and grab them off the edge, and footstool jump off their head back onto the stage as they fall to their demise

kells

Smash Rookie
Honestly I think it's very useful. Of course it's not spammable, and it's not perfectly safe, but with practice, I think it's a very helpful technique when the situation presents itself. Sorry for double-posting though!

Royal Nynja

Smash Ace
the barrel spike is really helpful when your hanging on the ledge and flying characters are trying to recover from under you. you fall down of the edge the up b back to the edge. if you time it right they wil get spiked. some will take more then one spike to die though.

denizen

Smash Apprentice
yeah the only time i even attempt a barrel spike is when i'm hanging onto the ledge...sometimes when they're trying to come back onto the stage from up top

asob4

Smash Champion
do it to wall clingers who for some reason just chill there while you're hanging on the ledge ^^
owned a lucario like that lol
barrel spike ftw

Nefarious

Smash Apprentice
yeah the only time i even attempt a barrel spike is when i'm hanging onto the ledge...sometimes when they're trying to come back onto the stage from up top
i do it on the ledge also, but i dont spike on purpose. i just do it for the invincibility. barrel spikes are 90% accidental ^_^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom