• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Competitive Game Type FFA (Free For All)

Bo0gYmAn

Smash Rookie
Before I begin this thread, I would like to state that I have been personally thinking that though the game is 12 years old (about), it still hasn't reached its maximum yet. Which is another reason why Melee is so amazing. I came up with a game type for Free For All's to become competitive. Now, keep in mind that FFA is a COMPLETELY different game type that takes a different approach to the game. This means that just because Mango is the #1 player in 1v1's, doesn't mean he'll be the best at FFA's. It requires a completely different skill set. So here are the rules I've come up with. I will be explaining the reasons why I chose these rules and stages.

3 or 4 minute rounds/No stocks (strictly timed)
2 Rounds
SD's - 2
Score Display is OFF
Sudden Death rounds are NOT played
Stages available:
Yoshi's Story, Brinstar, Mute City, Battlefield, Rainbow Cruise (Fountain of Dreams is a maybe)
In the event of a tie between 2 players, those players play one 1v1 standard rules match.

Reasons why:

3 or 4 minutes with no stocks - This basically allows for constant combat between the players. You never stop fighting. Not to mention the fact that you dont wanna have an 8 minute long round anyway.

2 Rounds - This may be only 1 depending on just how many players enter. But I feel 2 rounds allows for 2 things to happen. 1 is that the best FFA player really DOES win those rounds and moves on. Or 2, an equally skilled FFA player gets the chance to win and then both winners much prove who's "better" so to speak in a 1v1 match.

SD's - 0 - This is EXTREMELY important. Most of you have been thinking, "Why dont me and my friend just team up against someone?" This is the reason why. Only 1 player will make it past the FFA rounds. And SD's dont stop your stock count because there is none. So if you and your friend are going to team up on say "mango", thats fine. He'll just ALWAYS come back. The problem is...who got that stock point? You both want it dont you? This forces players to play for themselves. This also allows players to not just play fox in FFA. This makes it so all decent tier characters are viable for FFA. For all we know, since FFA is a different skill set, DK sucks in singles but could **** in FFA.And keep in mind, if you decide to go for a suicide kill, you're gonna be - 1 anyway if you get it. And if you do get "jabbed" in the process, you're just going to go even with the person who was gonna die anyway. I believe that this would make things a little more balanced.

Score Display OFF - What this does is simply force players to pay attention to EACH POINT that is given to a player. This small detail requires player to "count cards" while being in combat. I dont think it'll be a big deal. But it will increase the skill cap a little more for paying attention to who's in the lead and who's not.

Sudden Death rounds cancelled - This is because starting the match with 300% is stupid. Nuff said.

Stages - This also extremely important. The problem before was that the stages were to big and nobody would approach. Because you only get points and move on BY ATTACKING you must be in combat. But you dont want a fox on the other end of the map just shooting lasers at the group and then coming in for the pick up. You must force people to "play legit" so to speak. All of those stages I believe are small enough so that way nobody can "camp".

Now keep in mind, this is JUST AN IDEA. But I sincerely like to see some different stuff happen. I think that this could POSSIBLY unlock a whole new world of fun competitive smash play.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I would appreciate it if people would troll. I'm just trying to bring something new and fun to the game. :seuss: :psycho: :laugh: :b: :lol:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Issue with FoD is that there is a bit of lag with 4 people
I've done something similar before called allbrawl but this was with items

The issue with SD's being at 0 is that if someone gets to a high percent, they could simply suicide and prevent someone from getting a KO (as there is infinite stocks,)
It is hard to prevent people from camping also. (just look at brawl :troll:)

Otherwise I would try this,

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
In one of your previous posts you made a note about how players win through percentage of damage done? I don't think you stated how people win, unless it's by stock which would be default.

D

Deleted member

If you couldn't just kill yourself at high percent, I would commonly play this.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The only way it would work competitively at a real tournament would be as a side event, probably without any money on the line and just strictly "for fun."

CEObrainz

Smash Cadet
NNID
CEObrainz
I think the casual and competitive community for Smash would benefit from FFA matches. I wouldn't be surprised if SSWT end up supporting it as an tournament type when we launch our service.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Keist from Ohio pretty much solved the FFA problem. it's still not as "complete" as singles or doubles, but...

2 points for being the last man standing
1 points for having most kills at the end of the match

First person to X points wins, generally 4 or in the case of winner's finals 6.

So if you're the last man standing in the first game, you will be a heavy target in the next FFA. If you got the most kills, you really want to be the last man standing so you can win in either way.

Use the same stagelist as doubles/singles or add to spice.

It gave pretty consistent results.

edit: It's important to note you can't get both; you can get 2 or 1 points, not 3 points for having most kills and being last standing.

Top Bottom