• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters, Modes For Pokken Tournament Revealed

If Pokken Tournament is released on console, will you buy it?

• Yes!

Votes: 399 78.9%
  • No.

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Still not sure.

Votes: 57 11.3%
  • I have to have Pokemon things.

Votes: 36 7.1%

• Total voters

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Glad they didn't go with all Bipedal Pokemon. Would love to see Manectric or Sawsbuck too. Even a serpent like Dragonair or Arbok would be awesome!

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
So glad Gardie got in (although was expecting Kirlia to get in, this is close enough, especially as many people have pointed out about Gallade possibly in on the mix (he recently got a Mega evolution, and that's what Pokken seems to be promoting as of late), now if only she was playable in Smash (her moveset from this game could easily be workable in a Smash bros enviroment).

Last edited:

Vigilante

Smash Lord
I'm kinda relieved this isn't quite that much like Tekken. I never really liked that series. The controller looks fairly solid, albeit I can see it being weird on the 3D plane.

I doubt it will come to Wii U however and imagine it will come to the next console. I have a hard time imagining that the Wii U could handle those visuals.

B4ssick L3e

Smash Cadet
Why is Nintendo hating on arcade sticks? I will only be interested in this game if it can offer at least as many characters as some of the older DBZ fighting games. Hoping there will be a Tatsunoko 2 for wiiU, and praying that maybe somehow we can have CapcomXNintendoXNamco someday. (They all lent some help to smash 4 so it could happen).

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I'm Still Think We Will Get Jigglypuff as a playable Character
I'd be surprised if any of the main smash bros. pokés Didn't make it in. I'm fully prepared to see Charizard, Mewtwo, the jiggs, and maybe even Greninja. Myself? I'm hoping for more legendaries. The ones on the top of my wishlist are Mewtwo, and Rayquaza. I know, I know, 1nb4 "too big", but I can dream.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Why is Nintendo hating on arcade sticks? I will only be interested in this game if it can offer at least as many characters as some of the older DBZ fighting games. Hoping there will be a Tatsunoko 2 for wiiU, and praying that maybe somehow we can have CapcomXNintendoXNamco someday. (They all lent some help to smash 4 so it could happen).
Didn't somebody at Nintendo say that a Nintendo VS. Capcom could potentially happen at some point? I would personally hope the play style would be some kind of mix between Smash Bros. and Marvel VS. Capcom.

Trigspro789

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trigspro789
3DS FC
3566-2013-0217
These models seem really lifelike to me. Also, Lucario insta-main.

JagoTheTiger

Smash Apprentice
This morning, Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu Monthly streamed details of the upcoming Pokemon fighter, Pokken Tournament. This stream revealed new characters, explained gameplay mechanics, and much more, so read on to learn more and watch some exciting gameplay! This looks like a title to get excited about.

New Characters

Many had wondered whether or not non-Fighting type characters would be included in Pokken Tournament, and the answer is a resounding yes! Suicine, Gardevoir and Pikachu were all announced as playable characters. This brings the current roster to five, including Machamp and Lucario. If you include Blaziken, who was shown in the very first video evidence of the game, there are six characters in the game as of now.

Character renders, like this Gardevoir, are incredibly detailed.

While not strictly playable characters, Support Set Pokemon were also shown off. Similar to Marvel vs. Capcom 3's Assist system, Emolga, Fennekin, Snivy, and Lapras were available to call into battle, each using a single move before disappearing again. It doesn't seem that assist characters recharge quickly (or at all, possibly) so players may only be able to use them once per round. These assists come in sets of two Pokemon each, and it appears you pick one of the two assists in between each round. Emolga and Fennekin appeared to have short burst attacks, perhaps useful for interrupts, while Snivy and Lapras both had multi-hit attacks that stayed out longer, locking down opponents.

Game Mechanics

While many assumed this game would be Tekken with Pokemon characters, it appears to have a fighting system made specifically for Pokken Tournament. At the beginning of a match, combatants are in a 'free range' mode of sorts, able to move freely in the 3D plane while throwing long range attacks at each other. It's most easily likened to Dragonball Z: Budokai, but there is significantly less space for characters to run around, so the fight stays within relatively close quarters at all times.

Pikachu vs. Lucario

However, when a character makes a direct hit at medium range, the fighting mode shifts into a 2.5D system more similar to Street Fighter or Tekken. At this point, characters string together combos and use high-low mixups to do damage. The game stays in this mode until someone lands a 'finishing blow' to knock their opponent away, doing major damage and sending the match back into 'free range' mode.

Machamp vs. Suicune
One of the main complaints of the Budokai series was that the transition from close-range to long-range fighting felt forced and awkward, but today's gameplay suggests that the two types of fighting transition into each other smoothly. Even repeated switches between fighting modes looked natural, allowing for both projectile and physical fighting to play an important part in battles.

Pikachu vs. Gardevoir
Arcade Machines

So far, Pokken Tournament has only been announced as a Japanese arcade game, but today's presentation left some hints that suggest a possible console release! The machines themselves have a great aesthetic, but what was most notable was the control scheme.

Unlike traditional arcade fighters that use a joystick and buttons on the arcade cabinet, Pokken Tournament features a console-style gamepad with a d-pad and a four-button layout, mimicking the basic design of the Wii U Game Pad. Fingers crossed this means a Wii U release in the future! For those who live in Japan, there will be some location tests going at the end of this month, so take a look at the official site to find one near you!

Credit and thanks to Serebii.net for the pictures used in this article.

- - - - - -
That's all the info for now - what do you think about Pokken Tournament? Are you excited, or is it not what you expected? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit wants to play whoever the Grass-type representative is. Shiftry perhaps? Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.
That remote is so sexy

NNID
Robbie
3DS FC
4141-5561-7565

Well Sceptile would make a good grass type or even Chesnaught. They should also add the Pokemon from the fan made game Type Wild like Ditto, Swalot, Blaziken, Combusken, and Gengar.​
Of course they would put Gardivoir in there and even Lucario but how about Gallade or Mienshao... im pretty sure there are going to be dozens of character because I have all the Tekkens on PlayStation and the have lots of charcters.(Speaking about the fact that this game is Tekken with Poke in the beginning)

SycoYoshi

Smash Rookie
NNID
SycoYoshi
I see this game becoming really big in the future.

Defiantly needs a Wii U release and released over seas though.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I must say, it seems that Namco is really developing the working relationship with Nintendo.

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
I hope they make this game as hardcore as Tekken. This is a great opportunity to show Nintendo that you can make an accesible game with a very high skill ceiling.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Wobbfet would be a Great choice since He doesn't attack you have to rely on predicting attacks and Counter-Attacking at the right moment!

PurpleDolphin

Smash Rookie
Pokken Fighters is a lot like Smash bros, in that everyone is trying to predict who will be in and has different pokemon they want in. ITS OPEN SEASON AGAIN EVERYONE, PLACE YOUR BETS!

The CheeseCake

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMajesticCake
Please let this be released for Wii U in America! Otherwise I'll sure as hell import it from Japan. As for the pokemon I want, Magikarp is definitely my top pick. :129:

Last edited:

SmashF13ND

Smash Rookie
I'm sooo hype for this game and since i love naruto games and pokemon. this is like my dream game :D

B4ssick L3e

Smash Cadet
Didn't somebody at Nintendo say that a Nintendo VS. Capcom could potentially happen at some point? I would personally hope the play style would be some kind of mix between Smash Bros. and Marvel VS. Capcom.
I feel like if they do Nintendo VS Capcom it should be more like SNK VS Capcom 2 where you choose if you want Smash controls, or streetfighter controls

Last edited:

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
I feel like if they do Nintendo VS Capcom it should be more like SNK VS Capcom 2 where you choose if you want Smash controls, or streetfighter controls
I think that would be nightmarish. It's hard to adapt smash controls to anything like a 2D fighting game.

I think Tatsunoko vs. Capcom styled controls would work better, with a way to do the Heavy Specials using the simple controller layout. You can pick between simple controls and MvC styled controls.

Then, there's always the possibility that a Nintendo vs. Capcom game gets made but winds up not being an old school 2D fighting game...

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I think that would be nightmarish. It's hard to adapt smash controls to anything like a 2D fighting game.

I think Tatsunoko vs. Capcom styled controls would work better, with a way to do the Heavy Specials using the simple controller layout. You can pick between simple controls and MvC styled controls.

Then, there's always the possibility that a Nintendo vs. Capcom game gets made but winds up not being an old school 2D fighting game...
If Sakurai, or at least some of the top people on the Smash Bros. team were on the project, I would probably eagerly anticipate the glory of 3D battle layout style Smash Brothers. Personally, if done right, I always wondered how the bouncy, frantic, free moving fight style of Smash would translate into as 3D style fighting game akin to Soul Calibur or the like. Could you imagine large, expansive stages that you could jump around on like a 3D platformer while being able to move and fight in all directions? It would either be amazing, or terrible, and I'd be willing to at least try it out either way.

B4ssick L3e

Smash Cadet

I see what you are saying, although even though StreetFighterXTekken plays more like a streetfighter game, if you know tekken you can still grasp the basic idea of how to play. This is what they should do (in my opinion) with a NintenXCapcom type of crossover, make it feel more or less like one franchise game (either Smash or SF) but make it accessible to fans of either series.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
I see what you are saying, although even though StreetFighterXTekken plays more like a streetfighter game, if you know tekken you can still grasp the basic idea of how to play. This is what they should do (in my opinion) with a NintenXCapcom type of crossover, make it feel more or less like one franchise game (either Smash or SF) but make it accessible to fans of either series.
Yeah, the SFxT had a good point about that. A first game that plays like Street Fighter and a second game that plays like Tekken. Too bad they botched it. SFxT plays nothing like Street Fighter and even less than Tekken. Pretty cool though, but Capcom clearly messed up the translation between games. Smash and MvC/TvC being crossovers already might ease things if they take it this route with a NvC though. And it would probably be the best option.

Top Bottom