• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyleglor

Smash Cadet
That is actually a fantastic idea! It's suits Skull Kid's personality so well.

I'd imagine he would laugh in the same way he laughs when he plays Links ocarina in the opening cutscene of Majora's Mask.

View attachment 30700
That Would be perfect for the laugh and it gives the modelers animators a previous animation for inspiration

Last edited:

Team Dogfight

Smash Rookie
Why do people think there are only seven clone slots? There were eight unused characters in Brawl, not seven. It's the infamous Forbidden Seven (Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario, Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, and PRA_MAI), plus an eighth slot called "MarioD" which was presumably for debug purposes. There are 6/8 slots left, not 5/7.

As for my votes, I'm hoping for Knuckles, Lyn, Isaac, Sami, Waluigi, and Black Shadow with Ganondorf's Melee moveset (yes, that means Gerudo Dragon instead of Flame Choke).

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Why do people think there are only seven clone slots? There were eight unused characters in Brawl, not seven. It's the infamous Forbidden Seven (Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario, Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, and PRA_MAI), plus an eighth slot called "MarioD" which was presumably for debug purposes. There are 6/8 slots left, not 5/7.

As for my votes, I'm hoping for Knuckles, Lyn, Isaac, Sami, Waluigi, and Black Shadow with Ganondorf's Melee moveset (yes, that means Gerudo Dragon instead of Flame Choke).
We know about MarioD. Project M's initial blogpost, however, says there are seven spots. Obviously, that can always change, but as it is, we've assumed one of these spots is unusable with their Clone Engine. They're the ones who understand how their Clone Engine works, after all, so we have to take their word for it.

http://projectmgame.com/en/news/clone-engine-blogpost-limits-restrictions-and-possibilities

kyleglor

Smash Cadet
Ignore marioD and look at the Multi Man chars as spots
put us at 50, then with marioD we match WiiU/3DS at 51

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Ignore marioD and look at the Multi Man chars as spots
put us at 50, then with marioD we match WiiU/3DS at 51
They have a size limit that would make it difficult to put a full character in their spot. They don't have specials or an FS, so any character put in their spots probably wouldn't be able to have them either, or you'd risk crashing the game when they're loaded because of the larger file size.

(Unless PMDT works their magic and somehow does away with the limit, but no one has yet managed to do that.)

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Is it possible for PM recreate Saki from using his Assist Trophy? From the model, animations, and attacks?

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Saki - I don't know if Saki is a very highly requested character but it would be a dream come true if he was in! Is he someone that you are already taking into consideration? His model, animations, attacks, and voice clips can be taken from the Assist Trophy. It won't be THAT hard to pull of because on brawl vault there is a Saki over Toon Link and there is evidence that uses the animations of a combination of ZZS, Samus, and Toon Link. But his attacks are strait from the AT.

Shadow - the model can also be taken from the assist trophy and that's it. The rest can be using a clone engine of Sonic and the moveset can be different than his by making it like the "Shadow Final Version"

Palutena - her model can be taken from her brawl trophies and using a clone engine of Zelda, taking the vioce clips from SSB4, and taking the moveset from SSB4 but making it from scratch because you obviously can't port from SSB4.

Lastly, Silver and Tails - their models and animations can be taken from the background of Green Hill Zone or trophies. It can be similar to Shadow terms of using Sonic as a clone engine. But I'm sure you can figure out what moves you can make for them to make them different from sonic.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
Is it possible for PM recreate Saki from using his Assist Trophy? From the model, animations, and attacks?
His AT doesn't have a complete moveset or anything. Even the voice clips would have to be redone since there's not enough of them. They'd have to put as much effort into making him as any other character. I'd love to see Saki, but it doesn't seem like it will happen.

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
His AT doesn't have a complete moveset or anything. Even the voice clips would have to be redone since there's not enough of them. They'd have to put as much effort into making him as any other character. I'd love to see Saki, but it doesn't seem like it will happen.
Isnt he at least among the top Ten requested? and i know.. there are only six voice clips in brawl!! I know this doesn't sound good but they can reuse his voice clips for different moves and i wouldnt care if they were repetitive...Or he can even be silent if all clips are used..Well all I really care about is they have to at least have his brawl model and voice. Because I wouldn't be able to look at him the same way if it wasnt the same model or voice.. For his attacks well for his side smash a can be the slashing 3 or four times. And his b attack can be the gunshot. But everything else will have to be taken from another character or completely made up.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I'll go ahead and list 5 id love to be made in the clone engine.

Ridley - charizard as base
Krystal - pit or fox as base
King K Rool - Dedede as base
Saki - Ike as base maybe?
Paper Mario - mGnw as base

Lyn would take papers place but you know..

Last edited:

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
They have a size limit that would make it difficult to put a full character in their spot. They don't have specials or an FS, so any character put in their spots probably wouldn't be able to have them either, or you'd risk crashing the game when they're loaded because of the larger file size.

(Unless PMDT works their magic and somehow does away with the limit, but no one has yet managed to do that.)
I'm actually really confused about the slot thing. On one hand there's the forbidden and MarioD slots. However, I also heard that boss slots could be used. I actually heard that Roy used stuff from Duon, and that Duon would sometimes use Roy's sounds if you fought him in Boss Battles because of this. I wish they'd clarify how exactly it works.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'm actually really confused about the slot thing. On one hand there's the forbidden and MarioD slots. However, I also heard that boss slots could be used. I actually heard that Roy used stuff from Duon, and that Duon would sometimes use Roy's sounds if you fought him in Boss Battles because of this. I wish they'd clarify how exactly it works.
Boss slots are usable with a lot of work in BrawlEx. It's probably too much trouble (and too unstable) for Project M. Roy uses Duon's Soundbank for his sounds, and Mewtwo uses Galleom's. That's all from them that they use, however.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I have been thinking about it and while I don't vote for young link and not really a fan of that because of toon link if another link where to be voted in then why not throw in something a bit different. Perhaps more based of majora's mask.

Like say instead of bombs, the bomb mask which is could be a good finisher, but damages yourself, or bombchu's which move along the floor after being tossed.

Also why not an arrow swamping feature corresponding to taunts, or a special move? With different arrows of course doing different things like...

Ice Arrows for higher hit stun/chance of freezing the target.

Light Arrows for raw power and a finisher when fully charged.

Fire Arrows for what fire arrows already do.

Just a couple of ideas I wanted to throw out their.

Last edited:

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I have been thinking about it and while I don't vote for young link and not really a fan of that because of toon link if another link where to be voted in then why not throw in something a bit different. Perhaps more based of majora's mask.

Like say instead of bombs, the bomb mask which is could be a good finisher, but damages yourself, or bombchu's which move along the floor after being tossed.

Also why not an arrow swamping feature corresponding to taunts, or a special move? With different arrows of course doing different things like...

Ice Arrows for higher hit stun/chance of freezing the target.

Light Arrows for raw power and a finisher when fully charged.

Fire Arrows for what fire arrows already do.

Just a couple of ideas I wanted to throw out their.
I actually really like the arrow swapping idea. I've thought about it before. I doubt that we'll see Y.Link, but it would be nice if one of the Links had it. I guess there could be issues of balance, but I'll leave that up to the team.

Team Dogfight

Smash Rookie
What could be cool is if they made the Alloys playable characters and buffed them up to make up for their lack of special moves, shield, and ability to grab ledges. Like, Mario's neutral combo deals around 10% damage, whereas Yellow Alloy's could be buffed up to deal 15% or even 20%. Sort of like a high-risk/high-reward playstyle. And maybe alter their movesets a bit so they aren't 1:1 clones of Captain Falcon, Zelda, etc.

For example, maybe change Red Alloy's three smash attacks so that they resemble Captain Falcon's smash attacks in Smash 64 (those attacks being a forward kick, uppercut, and leg sweep), or change Yellow and Green's forward aerials to match Mario and Kirby's f-air drill kicks from Smash 64. Actually, Smash 64 could serve as pretty good inspiration for Red, Yellow, and Green. As for Blue, maybe give her Zelda's crazy teleportation hitboxes from Brawl Minus to allow for mindgames.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
What could be cool is if they made the Alloys playable characters and buffed them up to make up for their lack of special moves, shield, and ability to grab ledges. Like, Mario's neutral combo deals around 10% damage, whereas Yellow Alloy's could be buffed up to deal 15% or even 20%. Sort of like a high-risk/high-reward playstyle. And maybe alter their movesets a bit so they aren't 1:1 clones of Captain Falcon, Zelda, etc.

For example, maybe change Red Alloy's three smash attacks so that they resemble Captain Falcon's smash attacks in Smash 64 (those attacks being a forward kick, uppercut, and leg sweep), or change Yellow and Green's forward aerials to match Mario and Kirby's f-air drill kicks from Smash 64. Actually, Smash 64 could serve as pretty good inspiration for Red, Yellow, and Green. As for Blue, maybe give her Zelda's crazy teleportation hitboxes from Brawl Minus to allow for mindgames.
The question is will it be worth it? No one wants to play as those and they will be as boring as a game where you just look at the rock. PMBR wouldn't waste their time on something that no one wants to happen and will bring absolutely nothing to the game.

Last edited:

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
Only characters i want in at the moment are Lyn, Knuckles, Issac, and Sami. I think the some some of you out there know why i chose these characters.

Team Dogfight

Smash Rookie
The question is will it be worth it? No one wants to play as those and they will be as boring as a game where you just look at the rock. PMBR wouldn't waste their time on something that no one wants to happen.
I think it would start out as a "why would they even add these guys" reaction, but then next thing you know people are trying them out and making strategies for characters that can't even shield.

Could you imagine the kind of hype there would be over someone winning a tournament as Yellow Alloy??

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
I think it would start out as a "why would they even add these guys" reaction, but then next thing you know people are trying them out and making strategies for characters that can't even shield.

Could you imagine the kind of hype there would be over someone winning a tournament as Yellow Alloy??
I would assume very insignificant.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

I can't even imagine someone playing with the most basic character possible in a game with interesting gameplay for more than 1 minute. Its like if Ryu would not have shoryuken, spinning kick or hadouken in Street Fighter games and instead would use only basic attacks, but more powerful than anyone else's.
And that would not happen (one of alloys winning a tournament) unless every other player is horrible or alloys are overpowered for various reasons.

Last edited:

Team Dogfight

Smash Rookie
SmashBoards: Where ideas go to die, I guess. :\

It's better than being the billionth person to suggest Pichu, if you ask me.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
SmashBoards: Where ideas go to die, I guess. :\

It's better than being the billionth person to suggest Pichu, if you ask me.
Ideas for something really stupid. Its better to think about not only how it can be done, but also why would it be done and would it really be worth it or just a waste of time?
I rarely see anyone suggest Pichu. But at least Pichu is more interesting than alloys and could do a lot more. Not that i would like Pichu to be playable again anyway.

Team Dogfight

Smash Rookie
Ideas for something really stupid.
Cool opinion, bro. I for one think that the Fighting Alloys could be cool characters if buffed appropriately, plus it would give the Smash Bros. universe representatives of its own. Plus it could make for nostalgic callbacks to some attacks from the N64 game, and none of them would actually take up one of the seven/eight clone engine slots.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Cool opinion, bro. I for one think that the Fighting Alloys could be cool characters if buffed appropriately, plus it would give the Smash Bros. universe representatives of its own. Plus it could make for nostalgic callbacks to some attacks from the N64 game, and none of them would actually take up one of the seven/eight clone engine slots.
But they would still take time and effort for something that will most likely be considered a waste like Dark Pit or Pink Gold Peach. Its your opinion and most likely only yours.

TheDarkMysteryMan

Banned via Warnings
But they would still take time and effort for something that will most likely be considered a waste like Dark Pit or Pink Gold Peach. Its your opinion and most likely only yours.
Oh boy. Let's not start about those two. Don't want to hear the pure debauchery coming from someone saying that they were acceptable and people even wanted them over characters with real potential.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Oh boy. Let's not start about those two. Don't want to hear the pure debauchery coming from someone saying that they were acceptable and people even wanted them over characters with real potential.
Such discussion should be reported if it will happen. Its a better solution compared to just waiting until it will end by itself and telling those who are involved in it to stop. It is completly unrelated to this thread anyway.

Last edited:

Team Dogfight

Smash Rookie
The Alloys are different from Dark Pit or Pink Gold Peach because they aren't literally exact copies of Mario, Kirby, etc. In fact, there is literally no explanation in the game as to what they are. They don't appear in the Subspace Emissary so there's no connection to the Army, and they don't appear in Classic so there's no connection to Master Hand. The Japanese name for the Fighting Alloy Team is the "Mysterious Small Fry Enemy Corps," and I'll be damned if t they don't live up to the first word of that title. The thing is, they don't have to be Small Fries. If given the right buffs (more powerful attacks, more knockback resistance, maybe even take away all landing lag on aerials?) these four mysterious faceless fighters could turn out to be a real force to be reckoned with.

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
Or y'know, only use normals with the characters they're cloned from, maybe get a skin from Brawl Vault?

Team Dogfight

Smash Rookie
Or y'know, only use normals with the characters they're cloned from, maybe get a skin from Brawl Vault?
Project M Mario has a different down aerial from Yellow Alloy. Same with Green Alloy's dash attack.

Also, I was proposing that some of them get entirely new animations for a few attacks as callbacks to the base characters' N64 movesets (Captain Falcon's smash attacks, Mario's forward aerial, Kirby's neutral aerial, etc.)

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
That's actually very interesting, though I thought a while ago about the possibility of there being sort of an EX version of some characters with that sort of changes, but that's really far fetched, anyway, that's interesting, I guess, but I don't think many people would be into something like that.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
That's actually very interesting, though I thought a while ago about the possibility of there being sort of an EX version of some characters with that sort of changes, but that's really far fetched, anyway, that's interesting, I guess, but I don't think many people would be into something like that.
Yeah. It would actually kill hype and probably hurt the PMBR's credibility rather than add hype.

LightningLoops

Smash Cadet
NNID
BrayUSA
3DS FC
1092-0083-1620
While your on that idea, it would be cool if that had "Old" and "New" versions of characters similar to Super Turbo.

For example, take Mario. Old Mario would be Melee, New Mario would be Brawl, and PM Mario would be PMBR's revisions. Since I still struggle with texture packs, I'd don't want to imagine what a hassle that would be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom