• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
Needs more smilies. ALWAYS more smilies!

Clearly the only real solution to a Ganondorf moveset is to make him off the ground in all his animations, so he looks perpetually flying. THEN we can talk about how he is the king of hover. :awesome:

(... Actually that sounds really awesome now, dammit.)

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Yeah, I'd definitely want her to speak English. I'd love if new voices were recorded for Marth and Roy, too.
>not liking FukuJun on Roy
MAXIMUM PLEB

I think it would be weird. I mean, they're Japanese characters. It makes sense for them to speak their own language.
yeah, obviously for marth and roy.
no sense in changing them as they were japan only releases. though marth can be argued against with the international remakes of his game, however they came after brawl.

but lyn, like ike, was international release.
actually, again like Ike, they could go and do japanese assets for the japanese version and english for our version. that's a rather simple fix i didn't even think about.

Last edited:

GeZ

Smash Lord
>not liking FukuJun on Roy
MAXIMUM PLEB

yeah, obviously for marth and roy.
no sense in changing them as they were japan only releases. though marth can be argued against with the international remakes of his game, however they came after brawl.

but lyn, like ike, was international release.
actually, again like Ike, they could go and do japanese assets for the japanese version and english for our version. that's a rather simple fix i didn't even think about.
I was talking about their nationality, not the nationality of their release, though what you said about that makes sense. On the flip side of that-
BAKA GAIJIN GO HOME

Crixler

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be weird. I mean, they're Japanese characters. It makes sense for them to speak their own language.
I was talking about their nationality, not the nationality of their release, though what you said about that makes sense.
Where do you get the idea that the characters themselves are supposed to be Japanese? With the exception of a few characters from Awakening, Fire Emblem characters are fairly clearly pseudo-European. Even in the Japanese versions, almost every character and place name is just an Engrishy European name. Fantasy European armor, weapons, and architecture.

Marth and Lucina are the same ethnicity. Lucina is not a Japanese name (her Japanese name is just an Engrishy version of it: Rukina), and she does not look Japanese. Say'ri, from the same game, DOES look Asian. I don't know if her name is authenticly Japanese or any other east Asian language, but it certainly isn't European. Say'ri and Lucina are ethnically distinct.
Marth is not Japanese.

Lyn and Roy are from the same continent and from the same time period. They speak the same language. If Lyn speaks English, then Roy needs to as well.

XCYPER33

Smash Rookie
Pokemon Trainer anyone?

And I mean the actual Pokemon Trainer, as in have him fight on the battlefield instead of just standing in the background. Hey it'd be easier for PM since they already have a lot of data like his winning/losing animations and I even came up with a moveset for him that could work, don't hate me.

Pokemon Trainer

Neutral B: (Catch) throw a pokeball at a player, if it hits them they’ll be caught and sucked inside the pokeball taking multiple damage hits and then released, similar to Gulpin’s attack.

Side B: (Pokeball Toss) toss one of four balls (Poke, Great, Ultra, and Master) a decent distance damaging anyone who is hit. The better the ball the more power and damage; the balls are also rotate in order from poke > great > ultra > master.

Up B: (Laser Grapple) raise a pokeball high as a red laser comes out grappling the ledge similar to a tether recovery.

Down B: (Pokemon Summon) throw down a pokeball and summon a random pokemon out of it, has a semi-long recharge effect for potential balancing and to prevent spamming

Up Smash: (Fire) Pokemon Trainer opens his pokeball above him and fire comes out

Side Smash: (Water) Pokemon Trainer opens his pokeball in front of him and water releases out

Down Smash: (Leaf) Pokemon Trainer opens two pokeballs, one on each side, and vines come out smacking down on both sides

The rest of his moves: his tilts, aerials, standard attacks, etc… are all physical attacks by Pokemon Trainer himself.

ü Final Smash: Triple Finish – same as Brawl

ü Taunts: his taunts use the animations he does when giving commands for the pokemon

ü Victory Theme: same themes he had in Brawl

ü Defeat Theme: same themes from Brawl

ü Audio Clips: used Brawl clips

Last edited:

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Is it okay to remove my +1 vote for Sukapon and give it to Skull Kid. I just find Sukapon hard to implement due to having disjointed hitboxes and potentially hurtboxes due to how the character is designed. That and my +1 votes were lacking in the magic department and the new ganon and zelda inspired me.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Lyn and Roy are from the same continent and from the same time period. They speak the same language. If Lyn speaks English, then Roy needs to as well.
smash never takes canon into consideration. Roy still reps his JAPANESE game.

again, Lyn's big thing is that she's our first english lord. she spoke english to us, so if she's used it's fitting that her assets be english for us.

XCYPER33

Smash Rookie
Okay thanks @ GunBuster GunBuster

My 5 choices go to:
1. Pokemon Trainer
2. Pichu
3. Ninten
4. Black Shadow
5. Masked Man

Add half points to:
-Young Link
-Skull Kid
-King K. Rool
-Ridley
-Waluigi
-Toad
-Ashley
-Krystal
-Issac
-Primid (for the hell of it)

Last edited:

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Sorry for sounding like a noob but how do you add a vote onto a character? Do I just type it in the comments or is there a link somewhere? I read the OP but it didn't really say how to vote, just that you could vote up to 5 characters, unless I missed that somehow.

type it in your comment. somebody's doing the tallying.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
That's possible, but why would someone switch between English and Japanese in the middle of a fight?
Sorry I was vague, I meant a hyrbid of both in the same audio pack. Like Japanese voices for taunts or counters, with the rest being English or vice versa. Or randomized instances of one of the files playing

Frozn~

Smash Apprentice
Sorry I was vague, I meant a hyrbid of both in the same audio pack. Like Japanese voices for taunts or counters, with the rest being English or vice versa. Or randomized instances of one of the files playing
Pressing the taunt button switches between Japanese and Eng :p

Last edited:

Chaoseater

Smash Rookie
As someone who loves Fire Emblem to death and has since it first came to the States, I definitely feel that if Lyn gets in she should speak American, like Ike. Marth and Roy should stay with speaking Japanese, since that is the languages the characters spoke in their respective games. Also, its pretty neat to have them speaking a foreign language cause its pretty much keeping canon in a (basically) non-canon game.

Also, I just saw the article that stated why Sakurai didnt include Ridley as being playable. Does anyone else feel that it was pretty much a copout? I get that Ridley would be difficult to implement, but c'mon! Metroid needs someone else and Ridley is the prime choice.

Honestly, I just hope that one day the PMDT decides to throw Ridley in, because I have complete faith that they would do him justice.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
As someone who loves Fire Emblem to death and has since it first came to the States, I definitely feel that if Lyn gets in she should speak American, like Ike. Marth and Roy should stay with speaking Japanese, since that is the languages the characters spoke in their respective games. Also, its pretty neat to have them speaking a foreign language cause its pretty much keeping canon in a (basically) non-canon game.

Also, I just saw the article that stated why Sakurai didnt include Ridley as being playable. Does anyone else feel that it was pretty much a copout? I get that Ridley would be difficult to implement, but c'mon! Metroid needs someone else and Ridley is the prime choice.

Honestly, I just hope that one day the PMDT decides to throw Ridley in, because I have complete faith that they would do him justice.
I see what you did there.

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John

I had to, saw this and made me chuckle.

But back to the previous topic, it makes sense for Marth to have the japanesse voice/language since he was originally Japan only. Lynn could definitely be english like Ike since her game was here ... so why not?

Shin F.

Smash Master

I think that Sakurai has already been proven wrong by BaganSmashBros. His Ridley still needs refinement, but he works, and if Sakurai is telling me he can't match and exceed the skills of a modder, I'm going to have to call bull****. And let's not forget Sakurai has been wrong about characters not working in a Smash environment before. Villager comes to mind, as Sakurai mentioned him not being befitting the role of a fighter - and look where he is now.

Hmm? Oh, right, Fire Emblem. Yeah, if Lyn is in, I'd say make her speak English. I'd say leave Marth and Roy Japanese for the sake of tradition.

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord

But back to the previous topic, it makes sense for Marth to have the japanesse voice/language since he was originally Japan only. Lynn could definitely be english like Ike since her game was here ... so why not?
I gotta say, when I saw it I felt like Lenin out a laugh but had to go on Stalin it because I was in class.

And Lyn would likely speak English, but eh. Wouldn't really matter TBH.

Last edited:

White Light

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be great if lyn, Isaac and knuckles made it in. I don't know much about Lyn, but isaac has tons of potential with his psynergy and djinn summons, and knuckles could be like a ganon to sonic's captain falcon (slower but hits harder).

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I think that Sakurai has already been proven wrong by BaganSmashBros. His Ridley still needs refinement, but he works, and if Sakurai is telling me he can't match and exceed the skills of a modder, I'm going to have to call bull****. And let's not forget Sakurai has been wrong about characters not working in a Smash environment before. Villager comes to mind, as Sakurai mentioned him not being befitting the role of a fighter - and look where he is now.
And that was done by me alone with some help from one other modder (bug fixing mostly) as a hobby. In 2-3 weeks. With nothing but a copy of SSBB, BrawlBox, image editing program and a box of scraps! At least PM doesn't have to worry about Ridley being a DLC character somehow, so, he is completly free from SSB4 rule.

Да здравствует великий Советский Союз! Ура, товарищи, ура!

Last edited:

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
And that was done by me alone with some help from one other modder (bug fixing mostly) as a hobby. In 2-3 weeks. With nothing but a copy of SSBB, BrawlBox, image editing program and a box of scraps!
And this took place in a cave I presume?

Last edited:

Mean Green

Smash Lord
There's someone who's been working on Ridley and doing a damn good job (almost solo!). So much work is done already, it's ridiculous. PMDT seriously needs to jump on that project. Otherwise there'd be no point to this thread if nobody's actually getting added. And honestly who's a better contender for the next character slot than Ridley?

Last edited:

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Reasons for Lyn speaking English:
-Would be meaningful, since she is the first character you play as in the first English release of Fire Emblem

Reasons for Japanese
-Everything else about her screams Japan
-She is from the same Region as Roy, and Roy speaks Japanese
-Room for more hype (You can't just say random angry **** in English like you can in Japanese and have it be NEARLY as impactful).

I wouldn't mind either, but I would prefer Japanese, as the chances of awkward or flat out bad VAing would be a little lower.

Last edited:

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
Just give all of them a different language.

Marth - French
Ike - English
Roy - Japanese
Lyn - American
Funny idea, I would switch Roy and Marth's role. Marth just screams Japanese and Roy could pass more for the french role compared to Marth. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom