• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Dat denial.

And i thought the smash 4 community was bad in terms of leaks.

There are literally no PSA's of a certain character in that certain vid, the one in the vid looks nearly finished, so yeah i'd accept that if it were really janky, but they dont look it, they look nearly done.
Not so much denial as knowing that everything is subject to change. Since they've done so many things that the general public isn't going to know about, logically it stands to reason that any and all leaks could possibly be unfinished and scrapped at any time. I'm hoping that doesn't happen, but that's just how it is.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
Stupid question alert!!!!

Was King Hippo in Brawl at all? If so, I could see him being a pretty cool and interesting fighter. If he's eligible, I'll throw him a half-vote.

I could see him being a beastly fighter on the ground with an absolutely abysmal or even non-existent recovery (as a reference to the fact that in spite of his immense strength, he's the only character who can NEVER get back up once you knock him down because of his weight).

WillieDangerously

Smash Cadet
I'd like to make a new suggestion. A character that could have potential is Lanky Kong from the Donkey Kong series.

This funny face I believe would be a really cool contender for PM. Seeing as how the DK franchise has a fewer reps, this Kong from the classic Donkey Kong 64 has made his way into the hearts of many 90's players despite not making his way into many other titles. He has a plethora of moves and abilities that could fill up a kit easily, including handstanding when he needs to, stretching his arms out (just for you), inflating himself just like a balloon, etc. All reference jokes aside, He is a fun and quirky character that I believe has potential here. Also, he already has a model from his Brawl trophy.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
HE

okay, time to make this post a little more substantial.

For all we know, they could have created the basis for multiple characters, tested them out at a rocky level and never gone further because the character didn't feel true to themselves or fun.
okay yes true, but definitely not to the level that has been leaked.

you know, with voicework and all.

Last edited:

Dellexe

Smash Rookie
So I'm going to talk briefly about the characteristics of one of the characters in the video I analyzed. I'm not going to say names, and I'm going to put it in spoilers so that you can skip it if you want. Here we go. You have been warned.
So first off, regarding the legitimacy of the video, I think it's fairly likely that the video could be real. In fact it's fairly likely, considering its contents. First off, the person playing (I'm not saying who) is a reasonably well known Smasher and a PMDT member, so it makes sense they would have access to this kind of thing. Secondly, the video is captured with debug mode turned on, and is dated from before the release of 3.5. Could someone have faked all the debug mode effects? Probably, but I imagine that would be pretty difficult. Lastly, the characters themselves are, for the most part, animated well, move fluidly, and their designs are unique from other characters. I doubt someone just trying to fake a leak would bother coding and animating all that was shown. However, there are some points against this. Some of the animations and effects seem a little... odd, to say the least. Unpolished. And the debug mode appears to be slightly glitchy, showing hitboxes while characters are in their tumble animation and things of that nature.
-
I only really paid attention to one character, and didn't save the video (it's been taken off of the 8chan server now), so I'm really only going to address one of them.
-
Only a few moves were shown in the video, so I can't talk much on the overall ability of the character. The character appears to either have weaker KO potential across most of their moves or specific setups into their kill moves (think Sheik, who relies on forward air setups). The character is very fast, able to cross the stage fairly quickly with what I'm guessing is their side special. The side special also seems to have a tipper or sweetspot mechanic that increases the knockback dealt by the attack, because of the two times it was used, the second one hit did less knockback despite higher percent on the opponent, and the hitbox appears to have a sweetspot like Zelda's kicks or Marth's sword.
-
The character appears to have an average wavedash, though it could be that it was just shortened and not a full length wavedash. Their aerial mobility looks very good, and their up b seems to act like a third jump, allowing them to combo opponents in the air for lots of damage. Their ground speed is no slouch either. They only dashed for a short time in the video, but it looked pretty quick. Overall this character seems to be a "wear you down over time" style character with low damage, fast moves and good combo potential. I like it. I may have a new main if they actually come out.
You were warned. I have not named any leaked characters and only given my impressions of their attributes. If this offends anyone, tough love, you were warned not to look, and it's your own fault for looking.

EDIT: I haven't seen anything with voicework, mind sending me a link in a PM, anyone? Or just describing it in a PM? The video I saw was audioless.

Last edited:

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
HE

okay, time to make this post a little more substantial.

okay yes true, but definitely not to the level that has been leaked.

you know, with voicework and all.
I agree, but you never know how far they take things before they change their minds. For all we know, Pichu and Young Link were worked on to an Alpha/Beta stage and then they decided "This is a waste of time, let's make something else". I'm hopeful for some of that leakage because it looks amazing and would make me happier than a pig in ****.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
I was actually going to put "So Leekslap's day can be ruined" but I don't think it would've been taken accepted.

I feel...motivated.

Since 1/2 are unlimited.

1/2 Krystal.
People really hate me I guess. I've already argued Krystal, and Ridley is just a given so yeah -_- you don't troll the troll lol

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
+1 for UltimateLikeWarriorReborn

Wavedash into liked post is the sexiest thing in theory.

He might even punish with a grab into a reply.

Last edited:

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Dat denial.

There are literally no PSA's of a certain character in that certain vid, the one in the vid looks nearly finished, so yeah i'd accept that if it were really janky, but they dont look it, they look nearly done.
Yeah, that Erika looked really good :troll:.

Athorment

Smash Cadet
+1 Vote

-Dark Samus: I had only considered for aesthetics and importance, but after seeing her as an Assist trophy in sm4sh i am so hype for her inclusion in Project M (or any other adequate mods)
-Micaiah: Haters can have a seat, but with Radiant Dawn being my first FE game i was kinda weirded out that Ike suddenly took over. Would love to see a proper Mage in Project M, specially if she is nimbler than zelda. Even switching it up with her having aerials that contrast zelda's single hit would make micaiah cover what hyrule's princess lacks.
-Ridley: He is too hated and for no good reason. There's no villain that deserves a spot as much as this guy.
-Shadow: Chaos Control! It would be pretty awesome to see him focus on power more than speedy attacks while being more interesting than knuckle's simple punches.
-Lyn: Sword and bow! She is pretty good and deserving of a slot. plus more female representation!

+1/2 Votes
-Waluigi
-Ashley
-Tetra
-Black Shadow and Declone Ganondorf
-Sami
-Sukapon
-Balloon Fighter
-Saki
-Lip
-Takamaru
-Knuckles
-Slippy
-Krystal

Anti-Votes
x Rawk Hawk. Not representative enough despite the interesting use of it. Want a grappler? Use samurai Goroh then, or even Black Shadow if you dont want to make the latter the new Falcondorf.
x Toad: generic. And with Luigi there and the posibility of more representative people like waluigi and Paper Mario? Toad needs his own moveset. not a cloney one
x Pokemon Trainer: Really? I don't know what he would be able to do without a horde of Pokemon to his side for specials. A Pokemon Ranger has a better chance. Even a Pokemon Conqueror from Pkmn conquest
x Young Link: We already have Toon Link so this guy would need a change of weapons or moves that would then take away why people want him back: Melee properties
x Leon: We dont need someone to even star wolf. He needs to be more popular and representative so i would rather have Krystal with staff or even Slippy with grenades
x Toom Nook: I can't really see him working without all the tools that Villager in sm4sh had.
x Primid: I dont think Smash requires a representative. Specially no one as generic as a Primid
x Liquid Snake: There are much better characters out there than a Snake clone who actually shares the character's name as well.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Hmmm... If we really want the Pkm trainer back, base his moveset off of the pokemon ReBURST manga.

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
I'm kinda sad not even 1 new character, even of the aformentioned Spoiled 5, made it in for 3.5

Even the one I hated (coughSkullKidcough) I would've loved to get my hands on.
sigh, maybe 3.5b or 4.0..

Dellexe

Smash Rookie
So I just saw the full nine minute audio video instead of just the 30 second audioless video I saw. HOLY COW. IT'S AMAZING. I'M SO HYPED. NEW MAIN INCOMING.

EDIT:
I'm also removing my vote for Black Shadowdorf, I don't feel so strong a need anymore after the changes.

Last edited:

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
So I just saw the full nine minute audio video instead of just the 30 second audioless video I saw. HOLY COW. IT'S AMAZING. I'M SO HYPED. NEW MAIN INCOMING.

EDIT:
I'm also removing my vote for Black Shadowdorf, I don't feel so strong a need anymore after the changes.
Could you please PM me the link for the video you saw. I can't seem to find it anywhere (I don't mind spoilers one bit).

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
No i dont hate you, but you ALWAYS troll the troll..... alwaysssssssssssssssss. :p
eat my farts you popcorn walrus dancer! :yeahboi::troll::awesome::080:

Are people seriously still saying "declone Ganon and racist names ftw". First of all, he was never a clone in ANY game. As a well versed Falcon and Ganon player, they are NOTHING alike. Even in Melee, the differences in playstyle are enormous. Why don't we declone ****ing spacies or Roy and Marth while we are at it. Oh you might say" butt leek, differing lasers and pillars and Roy has phire ". Spacies have the same techniques, same playstyle/character type, same moves for the same basic purpose, same furries in space look, same cheesy but awesome one liners, and you will never get ruined by bad habits unless you know nothing of the other spacie, but at this point you'd have to be a real n00b for that to happen. Roy and Marth are different from one another, but you can still play the other without ever practicing ( what I do with Fox ). Especially with the buffs Roy has received. Falcon is fast, very combo oriented with average kill power outside his knee, and he relies on great movement and reads to get to the pro level. Ganon is slow, he has simple combos and monstrous kill power on all his moves ( even his jab ), and he relies on optimal movement and spacing to play at a decent level and he's so slow, he relies on mindgames to even get a hit. Their moves look the same but they are used for very different things. Falcon's forward tilt is situational at best, yet Ganon's is one his best moves to space. Falcon's fair is a finisher, but Ganon's is more for walling and hard punishes. Falcon throws start combos, while Ganon's are meant to chain grab them to death. And that's not even counting all the changes Ganon's had in Project M. His new forward and neutral special gve him so much mindgame and mixup potential, it's almost mindblowing, and he's already been made as canon and different as possible without making him lose what makes Ganon Ganon.

Black Shadow wouldn't even be viable since he's meant to preserve Ganon's original playstyle. Do you want an already made pointless low tier clone of a clone?

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
I don't really care all that much any more (despite that black shadow would have been super great to get) but every time I see a Ganondorf player go on a self entitled rant like that it really bugs me.

Side note, Roy's my main and I really would want nothing me than for him to be as different to Marth as possible. I love everything that the PMDT has already done with him but I wouldn't throw a fit if they decided to be even more drastic.

Also side note, I reckon if they change Ganon's down B to a functionally identical sword thrust (maybe just his ground version, Rider Kicks are super cool after all) they'd have a pretty perfect mix of kung fu action dorf and looking like Zelda game dorf.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I don't really care all that much any more (despite that black shadow would have been super great to get) but every time I see a Ganondorf player go on a self entitled rant like that it really bugs me.

Side note, Roy's my main and I really would want nothing me than for him to be as different to Marth as possible. I love everything that the PMDT has already done with him but I wouldn't throw a fit if they decided to be even more drastic.

Also side note, I reckon if they change Ganon's down B to a functionally identical sword thrust (maybe just his ground version, Rider Kicks are super cool after all) they'd have a pretty perfect mix of kung fu action dorf and looking like Zelda game dorf.
Let's be Meta for a moment here

Sethlon is PMDT, Sethlon plays Roy.

Roy is a demonstrably viable character, Roy is rather decloned from Marth and has a rather different playstyle, absolutely everyone who is not me absolutely loves Roy in PM.

Calculate your own odds of Roy changing.

Also I should write my self-entitled Ganondorf main rant somewhere so I can keep quoting it to people like you.

Sorry but us Dorf players deserve to feel entitled to something.

HayabusaTaichou

Smash Apprentice
Let's be Meta for a moment here

Sethlon is PMDT, Sethlon plays Roy.

Roy is a demonstrably viable character, Roy is rather decloned from Marth and has a rather different playstyle, absolutely everyone who is not me absolutely loves Roy in PM.

Calculate your own odds of Roy changing.

Also I should write my self-entitled Ganondorf main rant somewhere so I can keep quoting it to people like you.

Sorry but us Dorf players deserve to feel entitled to something.
Whether you're entitled to it or not is really irrelevant (yeah you are, not really any more or less than people who want the changes but sure, you're allowed to want what you want) the the dumb thing is how extreme you get with it. As far I've seen you're the only people around here who do that and sure Ganondorf is the only character who gets that sort of attention but it's still pretty embarrassing to watch. Just, no need to act like you're fighting a holy war here.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Whether you're entitled to it or not is really irrelevant (yeah you are, not really any more or less than people who want the changes but sure, you're allowed to want what you want) the the dumb thing is how extreme you get with it. As far I've seen you're the only people around here who do that and sure Ganondorf is the only character who gets that sort of attention but it's still pretty embarrassing to watch. Just, no need to act like you're fighting a holy war here.
I take offense to the implication that I'm fighting a holy war.

I'm fighting a very unholy one thank you very much

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
So something hit me like a truck strapped to another truck today.
we've had hint that one of these characters has been in development for months. In this very thread.

Remember how that PMDT member (I am not searching back through this thread to figure out who) posted a list of the clone engine candidates, ranked from easiest to most difficult to create?

And how several people reacted to Dixie Kong being ranked as difficult, claiming she'd be a largely simple Diddy clone? How he retorted that we weren't quite aware of how difficult it would be to animate her large prehensile ponytail for every movement?

Turns out this wasn't hypothetically speaking. This was firsthand experience...

Last edited:

kyleglor

Smash Cadet
So something hit me like a truck strapped to another truck today.
we've had hint that one of these characters has been in development for months. In this very thread.

Remember how that PMDT member (I am not searching back through this thread to figure out who) posted a list of the clone engine candidates, ranked from easiest to most difficult to create?

And how several people reacted to Dixie Kong claiming she'd be a largely simple Diddy clone? How he retorted that we weren't quite aware of how difficult it would be to animate her large prehensile ponytail for every movement?

Turns out this wasn't hypothetically speaking. This was firsthand experience...
I dont think that necessarily means they attempted it, it could have been them pointing out that every little detail about a character could potiential cause more work and from what i know about animating hair is quite a big thing they could have been talking from an animators standpoint based on thier preexisting knowledge of animating also with hair like dixie i think that would take the 700 hours up a couple hundred even. Unless she was a straight clone and all they had to do was hair

Also if they did test it out that wouldnt mean they would have put too much consideration into her uses a slot they could have tested quite a few easy clones to see how they looked in it. They could have even started the first animation of dixie and realized the extra workload and scrap/hault

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Where? I want to see it so i would know how difficult they think certain characters are.

EDIT: found it. I disagree about Ridley. It took me 2-3 weeks to make half of animations required and they all were good enough (with no leg sliding, lazy transitions, etc) except for few of them. His model just needs to have less bones (less wing bones, less finger bones, less toe bones, fixed wing bones that don't go apes**t if rotated in wrong way) and shorter tongue with only 1 bone and its done) so file size limits won't get in the way (too bad i didn't know about it before). Maybe thats just me.

Last edited:

Anonistry

Smash Journeyman
You need to understand that this is almost more an internal war that gets aired outside the Ganondorf community. Its basically the usual "We both love him, but MY way of loving him is BEST!" kind of fervor that you see in these posts. But yeah, more just wanted to point that out because when you look at it that way a "self-entitled rant" from a Ganondorf player just seems... funny? Is that the word? Because its kind of directed at other Ganondorf players.

Hope that didn't come off as criticism because it wasn't meant to be, just found it kind of funny how it was sort of phrased like its a Ganondorf player thing when the thought itself kind of is first and foremost at OTHER Ganondorf players. Or something.

Alright, I'ma crawl back into mah hole now...

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
You need to understand that this is almost more an internal war that gets aired outside the Ganondorf community. Its basically the usual "We both love him, but MY way of loving him is BEST!" kind of fervor that you see in these posts. But yeah, more just wanted to point that out because when you look at it that way a "self-entitled rant" from a Ganondorf player just seems... funny? Is that the word? Because its kind of directed at other Ganondorf players.

Hope that didn't come off as criticism because it wasn't meant to be, just found it kind of funny how it was sort of phrased like its a Ganondorf player thing when the thought itself kind of is first and foremost at OTHER Ganondorf players. Or something.

Alright, I'ma crawl back into mah hole now...
I agree with you. I think most people (for any character) have a hard time excepting changes, even if those changes are clearly better (aesthetically, mechanically etc.) for that character.

Do you think any Ganon mains be upset if Ganon got a stance change similar to Samus' Ice Beam that gave Ganon 3-5 Sword moves? Most would've also hated the idea of a hover/reflector and even a sword attack with down taunt. But as soon as it was implemented 99.99% of Ganon mains loved it! I see no reason it cannot be the same with some sword moves or other modifications to the move set.

I think a "happy medium" can be
achieved quite easily but the PMDT need to take that leap forward even further. Probably implementing it in "baby steps" is the best approach.

Any one looking to discuss and suggest further tweaks for Ganondorf come to this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/ganon-meta-thread-discussions-and-suggestions-go-here.341662/page-20

Recently I made a post suggesting more "tame" changes to Ganon's move set.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Are people seriously still saying "declone Ganon and racist names ftw". First of all, he was never a clone in ANY game. As a well versed Falcon and Ganon player, they are NOTHING alike. Even in Melee, the differences in playstyle are enormous. Why don't we declone ****ing spacies or Roy and Marth while we are at it. Oh you might say" butt leek, differing lasers and pillars and Roy has phire ". Spacies have the same techniques, same playstyle/character type, same moves for the same basic purpose, same furries in space look, same cheesy but awesome one liners, and you will never get ruined by bad habits unless you know nothing of the other spacie, but at this point you'd have to be a real n00b for that to happen. Roy and Marth are different from one another, but you can still play the other without ever practicing ( what I do with Fox ). Especially with the buffs Roy has received. Falcon is fast, very combo oriented with average kill power outside his knee, and he relies on great movement and reads to get to the pro level. Ganon is slow, he has simple combos and monstrous kill power on all his moves ( even his jab ), and he relies on optimal movement and spacing to play at a decent level and he's so slow, he relies on mindgames to even get a hit. Their moves look the same but they are used for very different things. Falcon's forward tilt is situational at best, yet Ganon's is one his best moves to space. Falcon's fair is a finisher, but Ganon's is more for walling and hard punishes. Falcon throws start combos, while Ganon's are meant to chain grab them to death. And that's not even counting all the changes Ganon's had in Project M. His new forward and neutral special gve him so much mindgame and mixup potential, it's almost mindblowing, and he's already been made as canon and different as possible without making him lose what makes Ganon Ganon.

Black Shadow wouldn't even be viable since he's meant to preserve Ganon's original playstyle. Do you want an already made pointless low tier clone of a clone?
What you said about Ganon being different is very true,and he is probably the most different Melee clone.But I think if Roy/Marth, and Falco/Fox didn't have the same animations,outside of B moves you may not even notice they were 'clones' till a while,as their moves generally serve different purposes.
Speaking of which,in Melee Roy was probably the best (conceptually) designed clone.It's a very cool idea that makes him strongly differ from Marth even though they are similar.If only his aerials weren't so horrible and Marth wasn't so broken...

How do you use spoiler tags?I might post a moveset here soon,and spoiler tags would be useful to keep it organized,and so it dosen't clog up the page.

Last edited:

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
Finished my essay and come back to see how the thread is progressing...

D

Deleted member

Are people seriously still saying "declone Ganon and racist names ftw". First of all, he was never a clone in ANY game. As a well versed Falcon and Ganon player, they are NOTHING alike. Even in Melee, the differences in playstyle are enormous.
Oh my goooooosh, are you serious? A clone character does NOT mean they play the same, it means they share they same basic frame and moves--the differences are the properties of the moves, mechanics, etc. which will absolutely change how they are used.

Ganondorf is and has always been a clone of Captain Falcon. And I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing--he probably wouldn't have been in Smash if he weren't, at least initially. But seriously, understand your terms.

JCOnyx

Smash Ace
NNID
JCOnyx
Dat denial.

I'd just like to say that a certain character in that leak looked very much unpolished compared to the other. I'm not saying that they're not both going to make it in, but I myself have gotten farther into projects and decided to drop them damn near completion just because I didn't like how they turned out.

Don't take anything leaked for granted is all I'm saying.

I'm also sad to hear you guys really want to drop tallying the votes but I can also understand why. I might continue to do them by myself if I find time (as this has been the biggest problem for me and I'm sure the rest of you). Finding the motivation to do so after a couple of characters were leaked like this can also be difficult. But there are still more slots left for them to potentially fill over time and for that reason I think this thread still has a reason to exist. Maybe the voting should go since there are not many slots left to fill but WTH if I can find some time here and there I'll go through and count them still.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Oh my goooooosh, are you serious? A clone character does NOT mean they play the same, it means they share they same basic frame and moves--the differences are the properties of the moves, mechanics, etc. which will absolutely change how they are used.

Ganondorf is and has always been a clone of Captain Falcon. And I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing--he probably wouldn't have been in Smash if he weren't, at least initially. But seriously, understand your terms.
To add on to that, "decloning" basically means taking some moves and making them completely different. While some characters like Roy, get "decloned," it's still relative, because they still remain clones (in other words it's more of a process, rather than completely making the character unrelated to his base). Luigi is the farthest "clone," being a semiclone of Mario because his side B, down B, dash attack, fsmash, and fair are different.

Last edited:

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I agree with you. I think most people (for any character) have a hard time excepting changes, even if those changes are clearly better (aesthetically, mechanically etc.) for that character.

Do you think any Ganon mains be upset if Ganon got a stance change similar to Samus' Ice Beam that gave Ganon 3-5 Sword moves? Most would've also hated the idea of a hover/reflector and even a sword attack with down taunt. But as soon as it was implemented 99.99% of Ganon mains loved it! I see no reason it cannot be the same with some sword moves or other modifications to the move set.

I think a "happy medium" can be
achieved quite easily but the PMDT need to take that leap forward even further. Probably implementing it in "baby steps" is the best approach.

Any one looking to discuss and suggest further tweaks for Ganondorf come to this thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/ganon-meta-thread-discussions-and-suggestions-go-here.341662/page-20

Recently I made a post suggesting more "tame" changes to Ganon's move set.
Honestly, I'm surprised that they haven't done a stance change with the sword. There's was a mod that did just this, and I'm pretty sure that guy is working for the team now.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Honestly, I'm surprised that they haven't done a stance change with the sword. There's was a mod that did just this, and I'm pretty sure that guy is working for the team now.
Ganon already plays a spacing game and there would literally never be a point to using his regular moveset if his sword moveset was worth a damn.

It's basically a design choice that has a really good chance of either being redundant in some way, or imbalanced.

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
Ganon already plays a spacing game and there would literally never be a point to using his regular moveset if his sword moveset was worth a damn.

It's basically a design choice that has a really good chance of either being redundant in some way, or imbalanced.
this. you give ganon regular access to a sword and it's going to make his established gameplay completely redundant.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace

It just seemed like a good way to please the people who like the Falcondorf play style while also satisfying those who want a more unique Ganondorf with a sword.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom