• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I would love to suggest this thread be closed entirely. I really would. But I think it needs to be kept open so that people who are new to PM and want to suggest characters have a place to do so without cluttering the rest of the forum or the subreddit. If this thread gets closed, I guarantee you'll have people making new ones all over the place.

I think the voting should be closed, though. Once the last few pages have been counted up and new results posted, I believe it would be best if this thread was kept for discussion only. The purpose of the poll is to show the popularity of notable candidates, and it has done that.

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I would love to suggest this thread be closed entirely. I really would. But I think it needs to be kept open so that people who are new to PM and want to suggest characters have a place to do so without cluttering the rest of the forum. If this thread gets closed, I guarantee you'll have people making new ones that'll clutter the forum.

I think the voting should be closed, though. Once the last few pages have been counted up and new results posted, I believe it would be best if this thread was kept for discussion only. The purpose of the poll is to show the popularity of notable candidates, and it has done that.
Yeah, let's get a final tally and marvel at all the hard work

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Damn that 3.5 hype led to alot of stuff.

I'm so ecstatic right now, but i cant say anything about it....

and since the voting is done, i guess thats it for this thread, its been a fun ride, would do again 10/10

Never forget.

#CondorNation

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
wow this thread is in Chaos and it isnt from me asking for Pichu this time, the smash community is really stepping up

#StartedFromTheBottomNowWeHere

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I'm guessing the thing we're not supposed to talk about has vanished anyway, unless I'm blind. So it's not like there's much to talk about anyway. Not much aside from super controversial topics (Such as Ridley) usually get much traffic here. With voting done then it wouldn't be too much of a loss if the thread was closed. I guess the only reason to keep it around is to act as a floodgate, like Shin was saying.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Has been awhile. We really shutting down?

Ah. No matter how far I travel, or how long I stay away, the taste of salt will always haunt my mouth.

@ Saito Saito 's salt, that is.
:troll::shaker::troll::shaker::troll::shaker::troll::shaker::troll:

Last edited:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
First this, and then John Cena later. You're alright sir. You're alright.

To be fair, it was the cat that REALLY did me in on the first pic. Giant kiten overlord? Never.
The kitty was only a catalyst.

FACT: The true terror is coming.

FACT: Tyson Kidd has been making it on RAW and Grumpy Cat is hosting RAW next week.

Coincidence? I think not.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
you know
why is balloon fighter in infinite glacier's background?
why not condor?
a character who's known for flying and is from ice climber?
i'll give you one guess

#CondorNation bich
we slammin with the best now

batistabus

Smash Journeyman
So...in an attempt to talk about leaks/rumors without mentioning anything specific....

I'd be very disappointed if any 3rd party franchises already being represented were to receive another representative in a future release.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I went through this thread's entire life without ever voting once.

To celebrate: -1 EVERYTHING BECAUSE I DON'T NEED REASONS MWAHAHAHAHAHA I'M A ROTTEN TOMATO!

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Even though i am glad with what we have(very glad) sorta sad we didn;t get a new dk rep in either project m or smash 4.O well back to 3.5

Friesnchip

Smash Journeyman

Anti Guy, JCOnyx, Shin, Solbliminal - it's been fun. We've been at this for over a year now, scouring more than 21,000 posts to tally up votes for the fine people on this thread, engaging in often frenzied discussions on how our favorite representatives might function within the framework of Project M... but it is fairly obvious this cannot continue. Skirting around the leak in an attempt to force further conversation will not work now that the breach in information is much more public and substantiated than the first time it was revealed, and it is such a shame.

It's a shame that the efforts of the PMDT have been spoiled for the fanbase, it's a shame that there will no longer be a true outlet for user character speculation, it's a shame that I will no longer have a reason to falsely support Vaati every now and then breaking the very rules I'm meant to enforce, and it's a shame the various character propositions spanning from in-depth summaries to conceptual artwork have lost their usage far earlier than they should have; 3.5 was just released, we had so much time before 4.0 or the next character trailer.

Regardless, the thread has indeed served its purpose since the clone engine was first revealed, and I think we should send it off properly. Like Shin suggested, we should tally up the last of the votes for the people and finalize this long ongoing voting process.

-------------------
TL;DR: Good and bad times were had, thanks for sticking around through it all, folks - see you in another thread sometime.

Legtendga

Smash Rookie
Welp, I came in late and had a good time with this. So thanks, y'all. The Smash community/whole internet is always interesting 'cause of stuff like this thread.

Malion

Smash Ace
This thread was a lot of fun. It was great getting people to all upvote one crazy idea after the next.

Let's all meet back here for Project M 2: Spicy Guacamelee

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Thread's closing? :(

It's always when I start getting invested in things that they all get closed up... Ah well.

wannabe33

Smash Apprentice
It's a shame that the efforts of the PMDT have been spoiled for the fanbase...
And such pettiness. Boo hoo, the PMDT ran into some bumps and needed a dozen more hours than expected to drop 3.5. That's your justification for going onto /v/ and steadily leaking backroom content like it was some sort of hostage situation? "Give us what we want, when we want it, or this .gif goes viral!"

Hope they track that idiot down and excommunicate him from the community. In the meantime, I'd support closing votes but leaving the topic open. Still room for healthy discussion.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Guys

47 was for the days left in the year when 3.5 was supposed to be released on the 14th

GunBuster

Jaded Outcast
i think an... amount, of salt for the delay is perfectly warranted.

you continually post progress made on a this project over the course of the year.
you eventually release a trailer claiming it releases in two days.

you know what that says/implies?
"We're confident things are complete, ready, and in two days all will go according to plan."

this did not happen.

"Give us what we want, when we want it, or this .gif goes viral"
yeah nah.
more like
"welp, i''m done with this. hey, wanna see something cool, guys?" peteypiranha.jpg

All I want to ask is, did the PMDT catch the betrayer?

he was posting again on 4chan today, pretty sure he's still out there.

Last edited:

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399

So 3.5 is awesome and Ganondorf is now canon and still awesome and the PMDT is awesome and
*trying to get the thread to be more positive*
If we are gonna do final votes, I need to say something about Black Shadow. Ganon is already canon so that kinda makes Black Shadow irrelavant. Unless you want a low tier who's a clone of a clone. Also he's too cheesy IMAO. Falcon doesn't need more characters. He is the equivalent of 10 characters! Stop voting for him please.

Speaking of overcloned characters, Imma go over the possible spacies.

Krystal?

Trust me, she is not as unique as you imagine. Being a girl is not a pro in this game. I know you are used to Smash 4, but being female is not a reason to have better chances anymore. Staffs are not unique. Same with lances, axes, etc. They are the same as a sword if you think about it. She'd just be a shoehorned and generic as hell character from a oversaturated relatively small franchise. Project M is all about teh moveset or gimmick. We all have our favorites but we'll end up using characters we might not have even heard of, but we use them since they fit our playstyle. Just look at Falcon.

Leon? If the PMDT can find a way to make his invisible gimmick not broken, yes. I think they should make his invisibility wear off when he attacks, and make him more and more visible the more he uses it. I don't think it would be fair to make him good at pressure though. His attacks would have to be slow but powerful but not at the level of Ganon. His combos would be short and sweet even his shine, which sends them forward for gimping, which is what Leon wil be good at. He wouldn't be a very fast runner. Have you ever seen a real chameleon? He's awkward so he'd rely more on his good wavedash. I'd love to see his awkwardness translate to his attacks though. This guys a over confident wanna be so make it show in his animations. His neutral b could be a laser shurikien that isn't lagless but is good for gimping. You could be able to angle it or curve it so it can get them offstage. His recovery would have to have better milage than any other spacie while still being edgeguardable. His Fire Lizard could be the longest and fastest but weakest knockback and maybe prioritywise. It'd be nice if you could cancel kt mid air ala D3. He wouldn't fall as fast as all the other spacies and his short hop would be slightly longer than Falco's but his jumps would be slightly smaller. His aerials and smoverall would be designed to gimp and his tilts would be for starting combos by launching them. He'd have a really good dash dance too. He'd be the only spacie with great aerial mobility too. Basically, he's an inverse spacie with invisibility.

Oh yeah, Slippy! No. Just no lol

Shin F.

Smash Master

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Hey guys, here's my votes. :troll:

+1 Skull Kid
Zelda is one of my favorite series ever,and Majora's Mask is my favorite in the series,so I'd love to see him in.
I prefer Skull Kid over Majora's Wrath anyway,because I prefer the living mask image more than the demon image.
Bowser Jr. of Smash 4 is the closest character to his potential playstyle( trickster )in Smash history,and I love him,
so I'd probably love Skull Kid too.

+1 Paper Mario
Paper Mario 1 & 2 are also some of my favorite games ever,so I'd love him being in.That,and it'd represent that beautiful artstyle:p
He holds strong potential for a utility,jack-of-all-trades moveset.Being a clone of G&W,perhaps he'd change the things about G&W
that stop me from playing him.

+1 Lip
Out of the retros,Lip might offer the most interesting character.( Though they all seem awesome.
:grin: )
A potential style( though it may not fit in PM, )is to 'poison' the enemy with Lip's Stick,then play keep away,
by placing blocks,that may be solid,or maybe she can shatter them or even move them.I love the sound of this,
but the playstyle may not suit me well,as I'd probably have to use my brain too much.:p

+1 Ashley
Another trickster or large toolset-ted character.Repping WarioWate again would be interesting,and Ashley
could do a number of things with her dreadful witch arsenal.Perhaps her goal is to stay one stp ahead,
frustrating the oppenent with her hard to get around strikes,but she would be light and most likely weak.

+1 Takamaru
Although 2 retro characters are unlikely,I'd love a ninja swordsman with projectiles,though Tetra could fit
that bill also.Probably he'd have fast,weak,multi-hitting moves,and weak but fast projectile or two.
We need more ninjas!

+1/2
Sukapon
- Looks very cool...
King K Rool - A heavyweight with a unique playstyle
Ridley -It is hard to imagine a small Ridley that suits me( with all respect to BaganSmashBros,)but I like Charizard,so Ridley is tempting.
A faster Samus,though not asethetically exciting, sounds also suited to me,and I like Metroid Prime more than Ridley,desperate attendance
rate,but I'll stick with Ridley.
Custom Robo - Great potential.
Tetra - Back up ninja sword-user.
Krystal - Despite leekslap's words,I feel Krystal could be a unique character.She could share space animal physics,
but have mostly unique moves,and be weak on the ground but great in the air.
Leon - I do like the sound of Leon also,though.

I won't downvote anyone,because I hate to see my favorites downvoted.

Last edited:

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
Hey guys, here's my votes. :troll:

+1 Skull Kid
Zelda is one of my favorite series ever,and Majora's Mask is my favorite in the series,so I'd love to see him in.
I prefer Skull Kid over Majora's Wrath anyway,because I prefer the living mask image more than the demon image.
Bowser Jr. of Smash 4 is the closest character to his potential playstyle( trickster )in Smash history,and I love him,
so I'd probably love Skull Kid too.

+1 Paper Mario
Paper Mario 1 & 2 are also some of my favorite games ever,so I'd love him being in.That,and it'd represent that beautiful artstyle:p
He holds strong potential for a utility,jack-of-all-trades moveset.Being a clone of G&W,perhaps he'd change the things about G&W
that stop me from playing him.

+1 Lip
Out of the retros,Lip might offer the most interesting character.( Though they all seem awesome.
:grin: )
A potential style( though it may not fit in PM, )is to 'poison' the enemy with Lip's Stick,then play keep away,
by placing blocks,that may be solid,or maybe she can shatter them or even move them.I love the sound of this,
but the playstyle may not suit me well,as I'd probably have to use my brain too much.:p

+1 Ashley
Another trickster or large toolset-ted character.Repping WarioWate again would be interesting,and Ashley
could do a number of things with her dreadful witch arsenal.Perhaps her goal is to stay one stp ahead,
frustrating the oppenent with her hard to get around strikes,but she would be light and most likely weak.

+1 Takamaru
Although 2 retro characters are unlikely,I'd love a ninja swordsman with projectiles,though Tetra could fit
that bill also.Probably he'd have fast,weak,multi-hitting moves,and weak but fast projectile or two.
We need more ninjas!

+1/2
Sukapon
- Looks very cool...
King K Rool - A heavyweight with a unique playstyle
Ridley -It is hard to imagine a small Ridley that suits me( with all respect to BaganSmashBros,)but I like Charizard,so Ridley is tempting.
A faster Samus,though not asethetically exciting, sounds also suited to me,and I like Metroid Prime more than Ridley,desperate attendance
rate,but I'll stick with Ridley.
Custom Robo - Great potential.
Tetra - Back up ninja sword-user.
Krystal - Despite leekslap's words,I feel Krystal could be a unique character.She could share space animal physics,
but have mostly unique moves,and be weak in on the ground but great in air.
Leon - I do like the sound of Leon also,though.

I won't downvote anyone,because I hate to see my favorites downvoted.
****! ma Krystal propaganda ain't working lol

*retracts Skull Kid upvote*

*replaces with Ridley upvote*

*also adds Leon half vote for good measure*

:troll:

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
If I haven't voted for Krystal, +1 for Krystal.

-1 Ridley: I think a character like Black Shadow should get in instead.

Dellexe

Smash Rookie
So I'm guessing I would get a warning/my post removed if I posted my comprehensive analysis of a leaked video? Such a shame, I went through that baby frame by frame analyzing one character's moveset.
It looks pretty swish if it's real. I'd definitely have a new main come 4.0.

Pwnz0rz Man

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1950-9089-5761
Just because something is tested out by the PMDT, does not mean that it's set in stone. For all we know, they could have created the basis for multiple characters, tested them out at a rocky level and never gone further because the character didn't feel true to themselves or fun.

Just because things are claimed to be leaks and even if there are videos, it's not a final product and can only be taken as "This was considered at one point", it's very possible that they could change their minds. So keep the thread going.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Just because something is tested out by the PMDT, does not mean that it's set in stone. For all we know, they could have created the basis for multiple characters, tested them out at a rocky level and never gone further because the character didn't feel true to themselves or fun.

Just because things are claimed to be leaks and even if there are videos, it's not a final product and can only be taken as "This was considered at one point", it's very possible that they could change their minds. So keep the thread going.
Dat denial.

And i thought the smash 4 community was bad in terms of leaks.

There are literally no PSA's of a certain character in that certain vid, the one in the vid looks nearly finished, so yeah i'd accept that if it were really janky, but they dont look it, they look nearly done.

Last edited:

kyleglor

Smash Cadet
I feel that once PMDT realeses thier first newcomer no matter who it is, it will bring the project new attention that it needs. As well as being able to see top players playing as a new character. People saying wow i didnt know he/she was in smash bros and then there friend saying only in project m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom