• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shin F.

Smash Master
So, I've just finished For the Frog the Bell Tolls, and I decided to write a moveset while the game is still fresh in my mind. I recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind playing old game boy games. It's really awesome.

So, here we go:
The normals:

The basic idea behind Sable's normal attacks is - you guessed it - his sword. But Sable is no ordinary swordsman - throughout the game, Sable gains a number of speed upgrades that allow him to attack more than once in a single turn. Most characters have only one normal attack that consists of multiple hits - their jab. A select few have side smashes or even tilts that have two hits. I would like to propose that Sable have this on all of his grounded attacks and possibly on his aerials if it can be animated convincingly. (I think it can). Unlike Dancing Blade or Double-Edged Dance, he can not dynamically change which direction these attacks are in. Once he commits to a tilt combo (up-tilt combo, down-tilt combo or side-tilt combo) he can't switch to another until the combo ends. He can, of course, choose to stop the combo any time by simply not attacking again.

And now for the part I'm excited about - specials.

Sable has a lot of interesting items and abilities. The two most iconic are his transformations into, respectively, a frog and a snake. One of the snake's most used abilities is its ability to (not unlike the Morph Ball) crawl through small places. That's why I'd like to suggest that Sable's crawl turn him into his snake form for the duration. His Crawl Attack would be a snake bite, and he may even have a Crawl Special that inflicts flower ("posion") on the enemy but strikes slower. I still stand by the idea that his side special would be best used as a way for him to quickly shift to Snake Slithering from both the air and the ground.

His frog form has an insanely good jumping ability, and that's why I would suggest making it his Up Special / Recovery. The recovery would give him incredible distance, but he would be fairly vulnerable to attack - his frog form in-game isn't able to fight or deal damage at all, so it only makes sense that it can't do much here. To make up for not being an offensive attack, this could be one of the farther-reaching recoveries in the game.

Alternately, the Warp Door could be used for for his recovery. A door pops into existence beside him, he hops through and closes it and the door fades and appears in the direction the player points it, whereupon Sable exits the door. Essentially, this is a teleport.

For his Neutral Special, I'm going to go with an idea I proposed earlier. Although Friesnchip was correct in saying that Sable's massive loads of cash went away fairly early, I don't think this is a reason for the idea to be discarded entirely. Cash in the game is fairly easy to come by even once it's gone, and it's fairly easy to stock up on the max number of items in every shop you go to and still have bags upon bags left over. Even at his poorest, Sable isn't shy of tossing money around. Essentially, this attack (which I'm naming Chump Change, after Sable's own words whilst giving away 1,000,000 coins) would allow him to quickly throw a small bag of money for a small bit of damage, or it could allow him to charge the attack. Whilst charging, he essentially starts stuffing as much cash as he can into it. While the added coins increase the size and power of the attack, they also make him throw it slower because of the added weight. It would have the same visual and sound effects as the coins on Mario's up-special and Wario's pummel.

And finally, his Down Special. This moveset is full of spoilers, but this one may be just a tad bigger.
In the last fight, the sword that Sable obtained to defeat the endgame boss (the Serpent Killer) begins to 'shimmer like fire' and Sable has to time some running thrusts of the sword. So the idea behind using it in Smash is that he would be able to charge the attack for power and distance, then rush forward with a thrust as his sword glows with flames. In a way, it would work similarly to Ike's side special, but I envision the difference being that when used in the air, he rushes at a downward angle rather than to the side like Ike does. It would sort of use the same angle and stance that Chrom does in this picture.
http://www.gaymerlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/fire-emblem-awakening-characters-artwork.jpg
And finally, his Final Smash. There are two possibilities I see here. The first is that Sable uses the Controller Helmet to call in the Mammoth. He could either ride on its back for a while, dealing damage to anything it runs into (a la Landmaster without the blasts and barrel rolls) or it could perform a single devastating charge (more like Beast Ganon).

The other possibility is the robot that the old man from Nantendo created could perform a similar role, but I much prefer the idea of the Mammoth.

So, in summary:

B- Chump Change
Side B - Snake Slither
--------------- Crawl Special - Poison Bite
Up B - Frog Jump or Warp Door (preferably Frog Jump)
Down B - Serpent Killer
Final Smash - Mammoth or Nantendo Robot (Preferably Mammoth)

And that's it. I hope this moveset does him justice as a character and encourages people to vote for him. I only played and beat this game in less than 24 hours, but it's without doubt one of the best and most charming I've ever seen. It gives me the same great feeling I get when playing Earthbound, and that's not something I can say about many games. I used to support this character as an interesting possibility, but not one I would fight for. Now, I'd say Sable's one of my favorite possibilities.

Last edited:

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
So, I've just finished For the Frog the Bell Tolls, and I decided to write a moveset while the game is still fresh in my mind. I recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind playing old game boy games. It's really awesome.

So, here we go:
The normals:

The basic idea behind Sable's normal attacks is - you guessed it - his sword. But Sable is no ordinary swordsman - throughout the game, Sable gains a number of speed upgrades that allow him to attack more than once in a single turn. Most characters have only one normal attack that consists of multiple hits - their jab. A select few have side smashes or even tilts that have two hits. I would like to propose that Sable have this on all of his grounded attacks and possibly on his aerials if it can be animated convincingly. (I think it can). Unlike Dancing Blade or Double-Edged Dance, he can not dynamically change which direction these attacks are in. Once he commits to a tilt combo (up-tilt combo, down-tilt combo or side-tilt combo) he can't switch to another until the combo ends. He can, of course, choose to stop the combo any time by simply not attacking again.

And now for the part I'm excited about - specials.

Sable has a lot of interesting items and abilities. The two most iconic are his transformations into, respectively, a frog and a snake. One of the snake's most used abilities is its ability to (not unlike the Morph Ball) crawl through small places. That's why I'd like to suggest that Sable's crawl turn him into his snake form for the duration. His Crawl Attack would be a snake bite, and he may even have a Crawl Special that inflicts flower ("posion") on the enemy but strikes slower. I still stand by the idea that his side special would be best used as a way for him to quickly shift to Snake Slithering from both the air and the ground.

His frog form has an insanely good jumping ability, and that's why I would suggest making it his Up Special / Recovery. The recovery would give him incredible distance, but he would be fairly vulnerable to attack - his frog form in-game isn't able to fight or deal damage at all, so it only makes sense that it can't do much here. To make up for not being an offensive attack, this could be one of the farther-reaching recoveries in the game.

Alternately, the Warp Door could be used for for his recovery. A door pops into existence beside him, he hops through and closes it and the door fades and appears in the direction the player points it, whereupon Sable exits the door. Essentially, this is a teleport.

For his Neutral Special, I'm going to go with an idea I proposed earlier. Although Friesnchip was correct in saying that Sable's massive loads of cash went away fairly early, I don't think this is a reason for the idea to be discarded entirely. Cash in the game is fairly easy to come by even once it's gone, and it's fairly easy to stock up on the max number of items in every shop you go to and still have bags upon bags left over. Even at his poorest, Sable isn't shy of tossing money around. Essentially, this attack (which I'm naming Chump Change, after Sable's own words whilst giving away 1,000,000 coins) would allow him to quickly throw a small bag of money for a small bit of damage, or it could allow him to charge the attack. Whilst charging, he essentially starts stuffing as much cash as he can into it. While the added coins increase the size and power of the attack, they also make him throw it slower because of the added weight. It would have the same visual and sound effects as the coins on Mario's up-special and Wario's pummel.

And finally, his Down Special. This moveset is full of spoilers, but this one may be just a tad bigger.
In the last fight, the sword that Sable obtained to defeat the endgame boss (the Serpent Killer) begins to 'shimmer like fire' and Sable has to time some running thrusts of the sword. So the idea behind using it in Smash is that he would be able to charge the attack for power and distance, then rush forward with a thrust as his sword glows with flames. In a way, it would work similarly to Ike's side special, but I envision the difference being that when used in the air, he rushes at a downward angle rather than to the side like Ike does. It would sort of use the same angle and stance that Chrom does in this picture.
http://www.gaymerlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/fire-emblem-awakening-characters-artwork.jpg
And finally, his Final Smash. There are two possibilities I see here. The first is that Sable uses the Controller Helmet to call in the Mammoth. He could either ride on its back for a while, dealing damage to anything it runs into (a la Landmaster without the blasts and barrel rolls) or it could perform a single devastating charge (more like Beast Ganon).

The other possibility is the robot that the old man from Nantendo created could perform a similar role, but I much prefer the idea of the Mammoth.

So, in summary:

B- Chump Change
Side B - Snake Slither
--------------- Crawl Special - Poison Bite
Up B - Frog Jump or Warp Door (preferably Frog Jump)
Down B - Serpent Killer
Final Smash - Mammoth or Nantendo Robot (Preferably Mammoth)

And that's it. I hope this moveset does him justice as a character and encourages people to vote for him. I only played and beat this game in less than 24 hours, but it's without doubt one of the best and most charming I've ever seen. It gives me the same great feeling I get when playing Earthbound, and that's not something I can say about many games. I used to support this character as an interesting possibility, but not one I would fight for. Now, I'd say Sable's one of my favorite possibilities.
I'd love to have Sable, but I don't know how feasible frog and snake transformations are, since they're completely different models. Though I'm curious how Samus' morph ball works in that case then.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
So if he were to be made, who would canonical Gano-*slaps himself*-NSHCLORF be based off of?
I actually like the HW rendition because it kind of mixes aspects of all the Ganondorfs... like the dual-wielding from WW, his armor from TP, and his magic attacks from OoT. While the single sword TP Ganondorf has been the most worked with and talked about, having a dual-wielding Ganondorf would be even cooler because that offers something much different, at least. And it'd be much different than Pit, too.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I actually like the HW rendition because it kind of mixes aspects of all the Ganondorfs... like the dual-wielding from WW, his armor from TP, and his magic attacks from OoT. While the single sword TP Ganondorf has been the most worked with and talked about, having a dual-wielding Ganondorf would be even cooler because that offers something much different, at least. And it'd be much different than Pit, too.
That and he looks like a badass.

I really hope he at least gets a HW alt costume now

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
It's a beautiful mesh of all ganondorfs that ever existed. I want it.

I also find it funny that he resembles Caineghis from Path of Radiance now.

View attachment 20519

Just, really evil.

he still doesn't need a new smash moveset.

>that goddamn Shichika

View attachment 20518

it's beautiful, but I hurt so much inside because I know it will never happen...

YOU TORMENT ME WITH THIS

but no seriously that's like the perfect mock up and I'd give a leg for it. you don't need legs for smash.

and now, a Togame alt for Lyn

alright, I'm pushing it. I'll stop now.
I may have forgotten to leave an actual post about this earlier, but yeah those Takamaru alts are white hot. The best thing about the not shinigami and not Kenshin alts are that they're muted enough that they could just be a colorway because color diversity. The Shichika pattern one though...

As for your spoiler, Togame Lyn and Kaoru Lyn as part of the Katana Waifu DLC pack.

Alternatively give Lyn a Not Sojiro color scheme to have the not "best matchup in all of Rurouni Kenshin" bundle.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
I'd love to have Sable, but I don't know how feasible frog and snake transformations are, since they're completely different models. Though I'm curious how Samus' morph ball works in that case then.
Samus' Morph Ball also uses its own model. It's always there, but the model is invisible until she uses bombs or starts crawling, upon which her main model becomes invisible. They're stored in the same file, so I'm sure the same could be done for Sable.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Samus' Morph Ball also uses its own model. It's always there, but the model is invisible until she uses bombs or starts crawling, upon which her main model becomes invisible. They're stored in the same file, so I'm sure the same could be done for Sable.
I learned something today.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Just to show what I mean, this is what her default costume file looks like in BrawlBox.

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
We should get hyrule warriors gannondorf

Cuz dem dual sword lion man of maniliness
Heh, I'm sorry, I should've worded that better. I meant "which preexisting fighter would canondorf be built upon?".

Ginge

Smash Ace
I apologize to any and all that got like-stormed during my catching up on 8-10 pages of posts. My bad...

Can.... can we just put that glorious ginger mane on to ALL of Ganondorf's costumes? My only complaint with Ganondorf in Brawl is that stupid hair style >>;; Also, I kinda need to see Kirby with that hairdo as his copied ability.

Shin F.

Smash Master
If we're going with dual-wielding HW Ganondorf, then it has to be Pit.
Well, I wouldn't say it *has* to be, but he's probably one of the better bases. In addition to re-usable animations, he also has his arrow as a projectile that can be modified into Dead Man's Volley, which I think would be too iconic to leave out of a Canondorf moveset.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
If we're going with dual-wielding HW Ganondorf, then it has to be Pit.
That's actually perfect. He can have a projectile, reflect cape replace the mirror shield, and his floating/gliding ability from OOT.

EDIT: Sorry for double post

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
A god has risen
Did you really just edit my quote just in an attempt to bring up Primid?

Speaking of whom, can I remove my half-vote for the character? I'm no longer keen on the idea of a Smash original character. The CE spots should go to Nintendo characters from other series that may never see the light of day.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Did you really just edit my quote just in an attempt to bring up Primid?

Speaking of whom, can I remove my half-vote for the character? I'm no longer keen on the idea of a Smash original character. The CE spots should go to Nintendo characters from other series that may never see the light of day.
Half- and Anti-votes can always be changed.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I haven't been here in a while. How many votes does Slippy have now?

Darkdeathscythe

Smash Rookie
+1 Isaac
+1 Sami

Going to save the rest of my votes just in case someone convinces me indefinitely that a character deserves a spot. :). I don't know how Isaac or Sami would play out if the PMBR team created them but I wouldn't mind, I honestly like them based off of their character and personality.

Booster

Smash Lord
Boy. I bet Ganondorf fans were absolutely floored with his Hyrule Warriors playstyle. He plays nothing like Captain Falcon~ Is that closer to the expectations you guys were looking for?

This needs to be a character in Project M

Edit: I am also glad Silver was taken off as a vote option, good riddance, he is one of the worst Sonic characters

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom