• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Yes I do actually.

Since I never heard of that complaint, nor did I actually feel that way, this is literally my first time hearing of it.
He doesn't need to give you one. This is indeed a universal complaint among Sonic fans. Google it if you want the proof.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Yes I do actually.

Since I never heard of that complaint, nor did I actually feel that way, this is literally my first time hearing of it.
Well, alright then, but this is getting less and less relevant to the CE, so just take this to the convo we go to.

Edit: Greninja'd by Sol.

Also yeah I'mma drop it.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Well, alright then, but this is getting less and less relevant to the CE, so just take this to the convo we go to.

Edit: Greninja'd by Sol.

Also yeah I'mma drop it.
Just going to toss this in as a supporting factor for your argument. Sonic X is a thing. Now you can drop it.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
He doesn't need to give you one. This is indeed a universal complaint among Sonic fans. Google it if you want the proof.
First, since he is saying that people say this, if I ask for a source, I should receive one. Burden of proof and what not.

I did searches anyway though, and I found people saying that, so it's valid.
I also found people saying they didn't care.

I think the biggest thing I found was that a lot of people were saying that all sonic games were bad or that adventure onwards was bad, or that if you liked adventure you should like the rest of them.

Varying statements saying adventure 1 was good, but adventure 2 sucked, along with the same sentiment but with adventure 2 being good and adventure 1 being bad.

Just going to toss this in as a supporting factor for your argument. Sonic X is a thing. Now you can drop it.
Sonic X suffers from execution just the same. That's mostly 4kids fault, even though Sonic X at it's core has its share of problems as well.

In it's japanese dub though, it is more than watchable, and I'd say I really liked the Metarex arc.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I can't recommend the hedgehog, quite frankly.

It isn't that it's an exotic dish, I've just found no matter what the specifications the meal always tastes too salty.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
First, since he is saying that people say this, if I ask for a source, I should receive one. Burden of proof and what not.
I don't agree, but you are entitled to your opinion just as he is.

I think the biggest thing I found was that a lot of people were saying that all sonic games were bad or that adventure onwards was bad, or that if you liked adventure you should like the rest of them.

Varying statements saying adventure 1 was good, but adventure 2 sucked, along with the same sentiment but with adventure 2 being good and adventure 1 being bad.
This is something I've conversed about many times inside and outside of the Sonic community. It comes to no surprise that when you make so many versions of a series that there will be fans of that specific version, or many of them at the same time. People have no sense of understanding of what the series needs, and Sega / Sonic Team is too afraid to do anything they think is right because of that. The first mistake was trying to turn Shadow into a cash cow. The second was trying to appeal to an audience that isn't the Sonic fans. The last mistake was ever trusting the Japanese branch of Sega / Sonic Team to make decisions with the series. The company has so many restrictions on itself that the series has no freedom to breathe under its shackles. Add on the fact that so many people are fed up and unforgiving of what has happened to the series that they will not give it a chance to recover. THAT is what is going on.

In short, **** Yuji Naka. I'll never respect him for as long as I live. He is literally the Anti-Keiji Inafune for Sonic.

Sonic X suffers from execution just the same. That's mostly 4kids fault, even though Sonic X at it's core has its share of problems as well.
I never said it didn't suffer from execution. I merely gave you the proof to the problem you were questioning. And I quote...
Things like Sonic X, Shadow the hedgehog, Sonic 06, and so on, are all variously complained about because of humans being involved with the series. It was very seldom touched up on by Sonic fans in instances of Adventure and Adventure 2 because those games had a redeeming factor of gameplay.

I can't recommend the hedgehog, quite frankly.

It isn't that it's an exotic dish, I've just found no matter what the specifications the meal always tastes too salty.
I know a far more salty dish than that. :4samus:
You think that's bad?
:lucas:< Still doesn't know English.
:pichumelee: Salt.

An argument could start even now. I can't say that I would be, shocked. :yeahboi:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
This is something I've conversed about many times inside and outside of the Sonic community. It comes to no surprise that when you make so many versions of a series that there will be fans of that specific version, or many of them at the same time. People have no sense of understanding of what the series needs, and Sega / Sonic Team is too afraid to do anything they think is right because of that.
So nintendo needs to buy MegaMan, Pac-Man, and Sonic. I think that would be a fine decision.

I don't agree, but you are entitled to your opinion just as he is.
You may not agree, but it's essentially invalid reasoning to not provide evidence when one has the burden of proof.

If this were a serious argument, the holder of the burden aka Edge, should be expected to back up his claims with sources for this information. Otherwise, I couldn't claim it to be correct and his claim could not reasonably be proven aside from himself.

Likewise, if I had stated that no one felt that way, it would be up to me to prove that no one believes that.

:pichumelee: Salt.

An argument could start even now. I can't say that I would be, shocked. :yeahboi:
:201g::201e::201t: :201o::201u::201t:

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
And don't forget Banjo-Kazooie.
I also wouldn't object to Bomberman.

Come on Nintendo!
Bomberman is someone I never would have minded seeing in smash. Lackluster moveset potential in my opinion though.

I have different feelings about Banjo-Kazooie, although those games were great.

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
Bomberman is someone I never would have minded seeing in smash. Lackluster moveset potential in my opinion though.

I have different feelings about Banjo-Kazooie, although those games were great.
My only hate on Banjo-Kazooie is the fact that Microsoft got their grubby hands on him and turned his franchise downhill. he was definitely an iconic character for the N64. If you knew about the 64, chances were you knew Banjo, Bomberman, Mario, and Smash in the area I live in. If you didn't know those ones you were totally missing out.

Banjo also has a LOT more attacks in his games than Mario has really ever had. While Mario relied on powerups to deal damage and such, Banjo actually had claw moves, a roll, a way to recover with like, Kazooie. Projectiles (of various traits), magicified by Mumbo, and others I'm likely forgetting. I would have loved to see the bear and bird.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
My only hate on Banjo-Kazooie is the fact that Microsoft got their grubby hands on him and turned his franchise downhill. he was definitely an iconic character for the N64. If you knew about the 64, chances were you knew Banjo, Bomberman, Mario, and Smash in the area I live in. If you didn't know those ones you were totally missing out.

Banjo also has a LOT more attacks in his games than Mario has really ever had. While Mario relied on powerups to deal damage and such, Banjo actually had claw moves, a roll, a way to recover with like, Kazooie. Projectiles (of various traits), magicified by Mumbo, and others I'm likely forgetting. I would have loved to see the bear and bird.
It's not the moves.

I just have Banjo PTSD thanks to microsoft.
Same reason I didn't want Pac-Man in smash.

Seeing as though Sakurai saved pac-man from his current self, I'm sure he could save Banjo, or even the project M team if they weren't limited by the clone engine restrictions.

Last edited:

Kazyx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CheshireKaz
3DS FC
1891-1355-7641
It's not the moves.

I just have Banjo PTSD thanks to microsoft.
Same reason I didn't want Pac-Man in smash.

Seeing as though Sakurai saved pac-man from his current self, I'm sure he could save Banjo, or even the project M team if they weren't limited by the clone engine restrictions.
I'm sorry. Did they do something with Banjo? After Microsoft bought Rare there's been no Banjo-Kazooie games. [/clear and utter denial]

But no, in all seriousness. That game doesn't exist to me. Banjo is the 3D funny platforming collectathon we all know and love. Not... that thing.

But I know if Sakurai got his hands on Banjo, he'd make him his original Nintendo glory. It only seems right, and it's something that he'd do.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87

Diddy got the closest to Banjo before he got sucked into the gates of oblivion. Too bad, those were good times.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I loved Diddy kong racing almost as much as I did mario kart.

Although diddy kong racing was harder.

I have...vague memories of one of its modes though.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Well now I need to blow off some steam. I'm pretty pissed off at the moment.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
This discussion brings out my inner rage. A fury that will never be fixed because the world is a terrible place where greedy corporations suck the life out of your favorite video game character. Melee...was the time. It would've been the absolute greatest thing...

Why...

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
This discussion brings out my inner rage. A fury that will never be fixed because the world is a terrible place where greedy corporations suck the life out of your favorite video game character. Melee...was the time. It would've been the absolute greatest thing...

Why...
Was Melee actually release before Rare's switch to Microsoft?

All I know is that rumored Sequel to Diddy Kong Racing for GC was apparently going to have them. No hate to Melee, but if Banjo/Conker were eligible for SSBM, shame on Saks. What great characters. They have such personality.

Last edited:

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
So is this thread where people talk about what characters they think PM staff could easily make from other characters? Like Sonic to Shadow etc?

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
So is this thread where people talk about what characters they think PM staff could easily make from other characters? Like Sonic to Shadow etc?
It's more a thread about what characters are possible to be made, and what characters you would like to see that are eligible.

It has a voting system in place on the first page if you're interested in voting.

The votes are not to determine what character gets in, but to see the opinions of the people that do come into the thread.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
Well if thats the case then it may as well just be a vote on what we wish is in future official smash titles, right? Unless PM really does plan on making exclusive characters from the ground up... Is that true??

Shin F.

Smash Master
Well if thats the case then it may as well just be a vote on what we wish is in future official smash titles, right? Unless PM really does plan on making exclusive characters from the ground up... Is that true??
Not quite. They will only choose from characters that are already in Brawl, for instance as a trophy or sticker. That means you could discuss Isaac or Ray, or even lesser-known characters like the kids from Magical Starsign, but not characters like Geno or Shulk. And absolutely no third parties outside of Sonic and Metal Gear characters that are in the game. Finally, they will not create any character that is revealed for Smash 4. That means no Villager or Palutena.

Last edited:

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
Dude SOOO much RAY and ANDY (advancewars) right???

edit: seriously andy could use his wrenches as weapons and whatnot and summon areial strikes you know that's tight. Ray is a given he's a fighting robot pew pew and the like.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
Dude SOOO much RAY and ANDY (advancewars) right???

edit: seriously andy could use his wrenches as weapons and whatnot and summon areial strikes you know that's tight. Ray is a given he's a fighting robot pew pew and the like.
They've both been discussed and have votes. If you want to know who's had the most discussion, the OP has a list of the notable characters who've gotten a lot of votes. Andy and Ray are both there. I'd suggest you read through it. It has the voting results in it as well.

Last edited:

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
Cool dude thanks doing so now.

Edit: After glancing over the chars and vote results I quickly realize that nobody takes into account which characters would stand unique amongst the rest of the roster and not just be like several others. Seriously, Isaac is number one? A FOURTH swordguy? He's #1? Some decisions should not be left up to the masses.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Cool dude thanks doing so now.

Edit: After glancing over the chars and vote results I quickly realize that nobody takes into account which characters would stand unique amongst the rest of the roster and not just be like several others. Seriously, Isaac is number one? A FOURTH swordguy? He's #1? Some decisions should not be left up to the masses.
That's not necessarily true. It seems that way partially because partial clones are appealing because it is less work for the Project M Backroom, and they can then be made different enough from their base inspiration.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
I get that but I mean with Isaac we're talkin like a clone of a clone of a clone haha. I say clone unique characters like uh. Idunno. Oh man I always wanted a Daisy clone of Peach actually. Maybe she was faster and tougher but had ridiculous gravity or... maybe that'd be too good. Anyway yeah Daisy would rule.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
Sure they could make him unique but again something about, like he would literally be medieval sword guy number five. It's not a bad idea but I just can't wrap my head around him being #1 in the votes. So weird. Golden Sun wasn't even that popular wtf haha.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Also, who says he has to use his sword at all? His Psynergy is way more than enough to work with. Most of his attacks could be Earth based, which isn't something we've seen yet in Smash, and he can still mix in other Psynergy for Water, Fire, and Wind attack if that is so desired.

Seriously I'm not even that far in Golden Sun (sorry again, Shin, lol), and I seriously believe that he doesn't even NEED to use a sword, and even if he did it makes sense to only use it for a couple of normals here and there. Isaac being a swordsman shouldn't be a detractor at all imo.

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
Hm so he has a lot of crazy elemental powers? That makes it easier for me to swallow. But still if we got only one new char. hypothetically I'd be pissed if it was him and not someone like andy or ray who couldn't possibly play like anybody they're so unique as character concepts.

heroscott

Smash Rookie
+1 Vote:

Krystal: Final smash could involve Prince Tricky

Dixie:

Toad: I'd like to see his recovery involve the carpet from SMB 2. Maybe throw a potion.

Bowser Jr: Final Smash /moveset could summon a random Shadow Character? or only Shadow Mario

Gandondorf/Black Shadow

+1/2 Vote:

Ninten
Waluigi
Princess Daisy
Shadow
Skull Kid
Simon Belmont
Rayman
Bomberman
Banjo Kazooie

Shin F.

Smash Master
Sure they could make him unique but again something about, like he would literally be medieval sword guy number five. It's not a bad idea but I just can't wrap my head around him being #1 in the votes. So weird. Golden Sun wasn't even that popular wtf haha.
Dude, if you support Ray and Andy, then you have no right to be against another sword user. Let's count the sci-fi/technology users, shall we? Fox, Falco, Wolf, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Snake, ROB. That's seven. Now let's count sword users. Link, TL, Pit, Meta Knight, Marth, Ike, Roy. Also seven.

Same number. People fail to understand that there are many, many ways that swords can be used that aren't in Smash, just as there are many Melee punching / kicking fighting style and many ways to use technology. Further, Isaac has something no other character does: Earth magic.

And FYI, the first two Golden Sun games each have sold more than Kid Icarus Uprising, so... yeah, it was pretty popular considering they each broke the 1 million sales mark and received massively good ratings.
Will there be more voting?
Votes are being taken by me, Solbliminal, Friesnchip, and JCOnyx.
+1 Vote:

Krystal: Final smash could involve Prince Tricky

Dixie:

Toad: I'd like to see his recovery involve the carpet from SMB 2. Maybe throw a potion.

Bowser Jr: Final Smash /moveset could summon a random Shadow Character? or only Shadow Mario

Gandondorf/Black Shadow

+1/2 Vote:

Ninten
Waluigi
Princess Daisy
Shadow
Skull Kid
Simon Belmont
Rayman
Bomberman
Banjo Kazooie
Sorry, but 3rd party characters can't be voted for unless they're from Sonic or Metal Gear, so Simon Belmont, Rayman, Bomberman, and Banjo Kazooie can't be voted for.

Last edited:

Warsaint777

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3797-7379-6106
Uggh my vote is powerlessssss lol. RAY x 9000+!!!/

I remember back when I wanted a Mewtwo clone of Mew. Like, faster and lighter or something. That'd be a little too crazy.

Oh i wouldn't be mad if grey fox was put in there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom