• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I think the Masked Man alt for Lucas pretty much deconfirms it. They even gave Lucas the Masked Man's sword, which he never wielded. Clearly the PMBR has decided he's not worth an entire clone engine slot for, sadly, no matter how much red9rd keeps posting fan art of him here.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Yes, because he's amazing.

Also, speaking of clone slots, are we able to get the BrawlEX clone engine working with PM yet? I've heard some things but no clarification. Sort of tempted to see if that Waluigi PSA has been PMified and add that in myself.
I think Project M's current Clone Engine conflicts with it. If we could remove all of PMBR's Clone Engine codes and replace their FPC with the new one, then BrawlEx might work. Maybe. BrawlEx also requires a modified common2.pac, though, which PMBR seem to have made their own changes to.

I think the Masked Man alt for Lucas pretty much deconfirms it. They even gave Lucas the Masked Man's sword, which he never wielded. Clearly the PMBR has decided he's not worth an entire clone engine slot for, sadly, no matter how much red9rd keeps posting fan art of him here.
They can always remove it. Remember what they always say - nothing is sacred, and everything is subject to change. And, even if red9rd's posts are excessive, I get some cool Masked Man pics in my downloads folder from them.

Then again... maybe a lack of Masked Man means Ninten is possible, which I would like quite a lot, especially since they haven't made his clothes a Ness alt.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
Well, it isn't so much of a Masked Man alt, but I get the reasoning. Then again, if I may ask, why doesn't he have the Claus recolor? I hesitate to say the presence of the costume de-confirms Masked Man entirely, or at least to understand the PMBR's actions well enough to say for sure whether a Lucas vs. Claus swordfight (or simply giving Lucas a canon weapon, whichever works) is completely out of the question.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Well, it isn't so much of a Masked Man alt, but I get the reasoning. Then again, if I may ask, why doesn't he have the Claus recolor? I hesitate to say the presence of the costume de-confirms Masked Man entirely, or at least to understand the PMBR's actions well enough to say for sure whether a Lucas vs. Claus swordfight (or simply giving Lucas a canon weapon, whichever works) is completely out of the question.
Huh? Lucas DOES have a Claus recolor, he always had it as his second. Press x.

I'd be thrilled if PMBR suddenly shifted gears and put Masked Man as a character, though. Either him or Ninten, those are the two best candidates for another Mother character.

...OR...

Not that it'll ever happen, but I can dream~

Shin F.

Smash Master
Huh? Lucas DOES have a Claus recolor, he always had it as his second. Press x.

I'd be thrilled if PMBR suddenly shifted gears and put Masked Man as a character, though. Either him or Ninten, those are the two best candidates for another Mother character.

...OR...

Not that it'll ever happen, but I can dream~
http://youtu.be/mrfjOafksUQ?t=19m40s
Skip to 19:40 for relevant segment.

Incidentally, if you want to know why Pokemon Trainer REALLY became separated in Project M, watch 18:45

Shin F.

Smash Master
So, I didn't know this until I started using it, but that Isaac PSA I posted actually has his Move/Catch Psynergy as a tether grab that works for grabbing enemies, but not ledges. Pretty interesting idea.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
That's so cool! One day in the future, when I have some free time, I'm soooo downloading this Brawl Ex thing. How many characters do you have in there now, Shin?

Shin F.

Smash Master
That's so cool! One day in the future, when I have some free time, I'm soooo downloading this Brawl Ex thing. How many characters do you have in there now, Shin?
I've just added my 7th. I have Roy, Mewtwo, Cloud, Goku, Isaac, Kid Buu, and Tails. Pretty awesome, though Tails is kinda OP since his down b generates a BOB-OMB. It came with a file to change it, but I don't wanna us it, lol. Maybe I will later.

Once it's possible to clone Samus and ZSS or Captain Falcon, I'm going to add the Dark Samus and Ridley PSAs, but only certain characters can be cloned at the moment. I also plan to add Skull Kid over Toon Link and Geno over ROB once it's possible.

I just wish it was compatible with Project M.

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
Are you ready? It stands for..............................................................................................................................................................................

NOTHING!
That's why their twitter is projectmelee.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
That's so cool! One day in the future, when I have some free time, I'm soooo downloading this Brawl Ex thing. How many characters do you have in there now, Shin? Edit: WAIT WHY DID THIS APPEAR AGAIN LOL?

I've just added my 7th. I have Roy, Mewtwo, Cloud, Goku, Isaac, Kid Buu, and Tails. Pretty awesome, though Tails is kinda OP since his down b generates a BOB-OMB. He came with a file to change it so it would be weaker, but I don't wanna use it, lol. I might later.

XD I had that Tails PSA actually, but I foolishly put it into PM thinking it would work seamlessly. Some of the moves were absolutely insane. Like when Tails did neutral B, he'd start spinning upside down and this horrible noise that sounded like a computer dying would play. There was this massive hitbox about the size of FD it would generate, and anybody caught inside would be paralyzed until Tails stopped pressing B, at which point they were hit with all the force of a home-run bat.

It was pretty awesome, but that's when I realized PM and people's Brawl PSA's didn't play together nicely.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I'm well aware of how to switch costumes. I was talking about a Claus recolor for the alt costume.
I know I wasn't very clear, but that might have been a more logical explanation than my complete and total detachment from reality, right?

...right?
A Claus recolor for the actual costume would mean the PMBR is actually putting an entirely different character as an alt--the actual Masked Man--which is against their rules. The reason Lucas has that costume in the first place is because he wore it in Chapter 5.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
A Claus recolor for the actual costume would mean the PMBR is actually putting an entirely different character as an alt--the actual Masked Man--which is against their rules. The reason Lucas has that costume in the first place is because he wore it in Chapter 5.
That's not the point. I'm not asking for said costume, I'm saying that the alt costume wasn't meant to be a Masked Man costume in the first place (which you seem to agree with in this statement) and shouldn't really be seen as be-all end-all evidence that Masked Man is deconfirmed.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
That's not the point. I'm not asking for said costume, I'm saying that the alt costume wasn't meant to be a Masked Man costume in the first place (which you seem to agree with in this statement) and shouldn't really be seen as be-all end-all evidence that Masked Man is deconfirmed.
Alright, I get you now. I personally wouldn't hold my breath, though. Some people say the PMBR would change it to accommodate his inclusion but I just don't see that happening. Just what I personally think, seeing as how extra Mother characters aren't that popular around these parts.

Xaranid

Smash Apprentice
I've just added my 7th. I have Roy, Mewtwo, Cloud, Goku, Isaac, Kid Buu, and Tails. Pretty awesome, though Tails is kinda OP since his down b generates a BOB-OMB. It came with a file to change it, but I don't wanna us it, lol. Maybe I will later.

Once it's possible to clone Samus and ZSS or Captain Falcon, I'm going to add the Dark Samus and Ridley PSAs, but only certain characters can be cloned at the moment. I also plan to add Skull Kid over Toon Link and Geno over ROB once it's possible.

You have good tastes in PSAs! I haven't set up BrawlEx yet (For now I'm holding out for a PM compatible equivalent but once more character's are compatible I'll jump on setting that up.) How is the Dark Samus PSA? I remember seeing a trailer for the Isaac PSA but since it didn't seem to get finished I completely forgot about it until you brought it up in this thread.

That said, the Geno and RIdley PSAs are (With the excellent Waluigi one) my favorite non-PM PSAs ever, and I'm sincerely hoping that eventually they get a PM version, official or not. I'd definitely add Mewtwo, Roy, Ridley, Geno, and Waluigi in a heartbeat, along with Skull Kid, Isaac, Dark Samus, Shadow, and Tails if they're reasonably well made.

Back on topic: Masked Man! I would actually be completely fine with Waluigi being included in PM, if only for how well made his PSA is. Half vote to him if I haven't already.

Dan

Smash Lord
How out of the neighborhood would it be to have a Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario clone of Zelda/Sheik? I'm not familiar with the hacking of this game, so I don't know how difficult it would be. You already have Mario and Bowser's models. Like can you put a shrunk-down Bowser in Zelda's slot and Mario in Sheik's slot? Is that how it works?

If Claus could fly (maybe using Meta Knight's flight engine), like his picture shows, he would be a cool addition, but Anti Guy is right; Mother has enough reps.

Edit: I completely forgot about Geno until seeing the post above mine, but I'm not sure if he would make my cut, even with SMRPG being one of my all-time favorite games. Is he someone we can even vote for?

Also, what about Pichu and Young Link being alternates for Pikachu and Link, like Dr. Mario is for Mario?

Last edited:

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Edit: I completely forgot about Geno until seeing the post above mine, but I'm not sure if he would make my cut, even with SMRPG being one of my all-time favorite games. Is he someone we can even vote for?

Also, what about Pichu and Young Link being alternates for Pikachu and Link, like Dr. Mario is for Mario?
Geno is not eligible.
Pichu can't be an alt since he isn't Pikachu.
Young Link is possible as an alt, but he can't have recolors.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Oh, I missed the part where he said he wanted it to be an alt for Link. Thought we were talking about Tink.

I might be late on this though, so correct me if I got this wrong. There can only be one alt per character?

Dan

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure Link only has one costume slot left.
I'm pretty sure the majority would be for removing his Melee alternate for Young Link and his palette swaps.

And Pichu can be Pikachu, just at an earlier stage in its life. Some Pikachu's are born Pikachu's, and some are born Pichu's, and have to evolve, if I have my Poké knowledge straight. So it's really no different than Young Link and Link.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure the majority would be for removing his Melee alternate for Young Link and his palette swaps.

And Pichu can be Pikachu, just at an earlier stage in its life. Some Pikachu's are born Pikachu's, and some are born Pichu's, and have to evolve, if I have my Poké knowledge straight. So it's really no different than Young Link.
I'm not so sure about that.

No, all Pikachu eggs hatch as Pichu. It is different because they're different Pokémon. Young Link is literally Link but younger so it could work. Pichu is a different species of Pokémon.

Dan

Smash Lord
Yeah, uh, I don't think so.
So out of curiosity, why did Link and Falco get Melee variants, and no one else? Are they planning on giving them to everyone. N64 variants would be cool too.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
So out of curiosity, why did Link and Falco get Melee variants, and no one else? Are they planning on giving them to everyone. N64 variants would be cool too.
The PMBR gives characters alts based on what they think is most fitting. If you noticed Fox and Mario also got "Melee" alts.

Dan

Smash Lord
So do we have any idea how likely it is that they will put any newcomers in Project M, and are they willing to put in the hours to create someone like K. Rool?

Last edited:

MLGF

Smash Lord
Just refrain from thinking about it. We can throw series/character feats and popularity all we want, but there is no way we can possibly be positive that the PM:BR will use that character.

This sounds vaguely familiar...

Dan

Smash Lord
Here is my new, more reasonable list that fills the needs of the audience, rather than myself, as well as being easy on the devs:

1. Ridley - possibly the no. 1 most-wanted character, as we all know Metroid needs another rep, some well done PSA's, model in game but needs shrinking

2. Isaac - assist model in-game, wildly popular

3. Waluigi - already very-well created PSA, has the assist trophy model, well-known

4. Pichu - easy to make, and with my request of young link below, every fighter from every installment would be included in Project M.

5. Not sure; could be for Young Link (see below), or the ganon/black shadow swap, or keep original ganon and fill this slot with ganon 2.0

Bonus - I would like to see Young Link replace Melee Link as Link's alternate, or at the very least fill up his final alternate slot. That way we would have every character from every installment.

To solve the lack of the Pokemon trainer, they could put him in the background for every Pokemon but Mewtwo, cause he's bad*ss. Or they could put him in the background of just the Pokemon stages.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
The PMBR has said that they will create character models from scratch, so Isaac's, Lyn's and Ridley's Brawl models won't be used. Frankly, it's not hard to see why for the assist trophies. Their models are very low-poly, and their creation would be more legit if they made it from scratch like M2 and Roy. As for Ridley, though he may be very detailed and smooth, I'm thinking that it would be better to make their own model, since Brawl Ridley scaled down looks too lanky, as evidenced by PSA's of the character.

Shin F.

Smash Master
You have good tastes in PSAs! I haven't set up BrawlEx yet (For now I'm holding out for a PM compatible equivalent but once more character's are compatible I'll jump on setting that up.) How is the Dark Samus PSA? I remember seeing a trailer for the Isaac PSA but since it didn't seem to get finished I completely forgot about it until you brought it up in this thread.
Only the best :p I haven't actually used it yet since Samus doesn't have a BrawlEx module yet, but from what I've seen it's pretty good.

Bonus - I would like to see Young Link replace Melee Link as Link's alternate, or at the very least fill up his final alternate slot. That way we would have every character from every installment.
Because Young Link would feel right at home with Twilight Princess Link's deep, adult voice.

S

Sharic X

Needs more talk about Ray MK III.

And
We need more discussion as it is. What happens in this thread though kinda follows this pattern:

A new idea rises, gets support + hate, is forgotten and then later brought up again. Sometimes, this is continuous and no new ideas rise. I'm not saying it's a bad cycle, I'm just stating we need to come to conclusions on these ideas and leave them once we have decided the verdict.

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure the Ray discussion will pick up again once Solbliminal has more work done on the moveset he's doing. Has there been anyone against his inclusion?

Naturally he's going to have more than one gun, why not?

B.W.

Smash Champion
Things not making sense with their games bother me. I don't want to see Ray with like 4 different kinds of guns when he's only supposed to be able to pick one usually.

Personally I'd love to see a moveset where his Basic Gun (otherwise known as his laser) is his primary weapon, while not having very many actual physical attacks. Similar to how Mega Man in Smash 4 is going to use his buster for most of his attacks (his jab, tilt, f-smash, etc.) I've thought of a few WIP movesets with this idea in mind, but it's proven difficult to make that's for sure.

Rasgar

Smash Apprentice
I can kind of understand that, what with my argument for Ray not having a jet transformation. Still, Smash has set a precedent for gathering up things that a character can do and making a movelist out of it, whether or not it makes canonical sense. Even Mega Man is going to be using weapons from across different sets of robot masters, which isn't possible in his games. We've also got Yoshi making eggs out of nothing, Kirby stealing powers without actually digesting the enemies, Squirtle using Withdraw as an attack move, Sonic generating jump springs out of nowhere... and so on. You get the idea.

With that said, if you can make a moveset with a canonical equipment setup, go for it. This is a place for discussion, and having two moveset ideas to compare and contrast can only be a good thing.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
The PMBR has said that they will create character models from scratch, so Isaac's, Lyn's and Ridley's Brawl models won't be used. Frankly, it's not hard to see why for the assist trophies. Their models are very low-poly, and their creation would be more legit if they made it from scratch like M2 and Roy. As for Ridley, though he may be very detailed and smooth, I'm thinking that it would be better to make their own model, since Brawl Ridley scaled down looks too lanky, as evidenced by PSA's of the character.
Yeah, the assist trophy models when put next to combatant models don't look very good. Granted, the low polygon count might be because they didn't want an item to slow down the action of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom