• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
You're right that it would be hard to get the straight stripes on the sleeves, though.
That is actually what I was thinking after I looked at it. And I do actually dig the single stripe thing on Ninten. The only thing I would see needing fixed is more definition to the eyes and blue coloring to his shoes.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
You guys are doing an amazing job of making Ninten look distinct from Ness (even though technically it should be the other way around :p ).

Keep up the good work.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I will say, that while I think having his stature help make him stand out is a great idea I don't know if I'd like it to such an extent as it is in the Clay Model.

I was thinking Ninten's height and physique could be about the size of Mansta's Ness resize.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
You guys are doing an amazing job of making Ninten look distinct from Ness (even though technically it should be the other way around :p ).

Keep up the good work.
I have to say (and I hope you guys don't get outraged by this). I personally like Travis the most in terms of character design out of the Mother characters, even if he is unofficial. I don't know what it is, but he just seems like he would be an interesting and enjoyable character to play as. Since I don't do emulation, and I don't have the money to get Mother for a while, I'm hoping on this Mother 4 project to come through so I could give it a shot. It can hold me off until I can actually get a copy of Mother via E-Shop. I want to see what this series is all about.

...But still tho. Travis looks beast.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I have to say (and I hope you guys don't get outraged by this). I personally like Travis the most in terms of character design out of the Mother characters, even if he is unofficial. I don't know what it is, but he just seems like he would be an interesting and enjoyable character to play as. Since I don't do emulation, and I don't have the money to get Mother for a while, I'm hoping on this Mother 4 project to come through so I could give it a shot. It can hold me off until I can actually get a copy of Mother via E-Shop. I want to see what this series is all about.

...But still tho. Travis looks beast.
I assume you mean Mother 2 (Earthbound) on eShop. I believe Mother 1 isn't achievable in such a manner as of now.

Travis looks awesome. I'm hopeful that Mother 4 works out. After all, the fans making it are truly dedicated lovers of the series. I wish PM's restrictions allowed for Travis, considering fan-made content is the only place he'll ever be seen

As for my favorite Mother protagonist, I've always has a soft spot for Lucas and Mother 3 as a whole.

He just has a lot of character. He's such a wuss at first, lmfao.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
I assume you mean Mother 2 (Earthbound) on eShop. I believe Mother 1 isn't achievable in such a manner as of now.

Travis looks awesome. I'm hopeful that Mother 4 works out. After all, the fans making it are truly dedicated lovers of the series. I wish PM's restrictions allowed for Travis, considering fan-made content is the only place he'll ever be seen

As for my favorite Mother protagonist, I've always has a soft spot for Lucas and Mother 3 as a whole.

He just has a lot of character. He's such a wuss at first, lmfao.
Mother 2 was indeed what I meant, but I was saying Mother as a collective statement. Meaning the whole series. And yeah. I was thinking that Travis would be a good option since he has no strings attached in terms of C&D. Regardless, that is just my opinion. It isn't going to be worth much compared to a legitimate Mother fan's opinion.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Mother 2 was indeed what I meant, but I was saying Mother as a collective statement. Meaning the whole series. And yeah. I was thinking that Travis would be a good option since he has no strings attached in terms of C&D. Regardless, that is just my opinion. It isn't going to be worth much compared to a legitimate Mother fan's opinion.
May I ask why you don't emulate?

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Makes sense. I usually only emulate when I can't actually get a physical copy. (Mother 3, FE: Binding Blade, etc.)
It usually takes a very extreme case for me to want to emulate anything, because otherwise I'd rather just buy the game to support the company. But when it comes to rom mods, discarded content, or something along those lines, I don't mind going out of my way to play them.

But anyways, I did some minor edits to Ninten. I personally find this the best default so far.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Idk if it's been solved yet, but if it has ignore post:

Why not change the rules so that if someone decides to vote for an obscure/non mainish character, they have to at least provide most of a moveset first? That way we don't get all the random 1/2 votes, and it sheds more light on them. It also has the double plus, if a PMBR does happen to stop in, see said obscure character it could totally inspire something. (Not that this would, just saying there is a minute chance.)

Just my 2 cents.

Also I would like Travis for P:M and I am a legitimate Mother fan Sol

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Just to show to anyone still doubting just how different Sol's designs would look from Ness:
View attachment 21173
I still feel very strongly that doesn't make a difference. It looks cool and all, but all you're doing is Photoshopping and saying "Look, this is Ninten!" and at best creating an alt. Anyone can Photoshop the hell out of a character, but you're not changing the canon. And commercials with real-life actors were never canon either.

I could just as easily be arguing for OoT Link to be a separate character, then photoshopping him to wear different equipment, changing his hat, and changing the outline of clothes and being like "hey, he looks different enough to be a different character now!" Somewhere in the whole process, I'd forget that all along, I was creating a fan design and that you can't change the original.

Finally, appearances aside, there's the whole issue of just his moveset. Remember that there are two types of characters we can have:

1) Unique character, requiring hundreds more hours of work and balancing -- Best reserved for the MOST WANTED characters

2) Clone character - with limited changes.

Ideally, he should be a clone, if anything. I mean you want to "complete" the Mother trio. But he's being billed as a unique character with a completely separate moveset. Is that going to be worth it to push out Isaac, Ridley, and characters like those? Will he generate enough hype to validate 800+ hours? I don't think so. I can't even say if he does among Mother fans (outside of the few we have here). Unlike Lucas or other Mother characters, Ninten is essentially a Ness precursor. He does not add anything big or new to this game. As a Mother fan myself, I feel 0 hype. If I saw a trailer with Ninten, I would be like, "Wow, they put their time into that?"

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I still feel very strongly that doesn't make a difference. It looks cool and all, but all you're doing is Photoshopping and saying "Look, this is Ninten!" and at best creating an alt. Anyone can Photoshop the hell out of a character, but you're not changing the canon. And commercials with real-life actors were never canon either.

I could just as easily be arguing for OoT Link to be a separate character, then photoshopping him to wear different equipment, changing his hat, and changing the outline of clothes and being like "hey, he looks different enough to be a different character now!" Somewhere in the whole process, I'd forget that all along, I was creating a fan design and that you can't change the original.

Finally, appearances aside, there's the whole issue of just his moveset. Remember that there are two types of characters we can have:

1) Unique character, requiring hundreds more hours of work and balancing -- Best reserved for the MOST WANTED characters

Ideally, he should be a clone, if anything. I mean you want to "complete" the Mother trio. But he's being billed as a unique character with a completely separate moveset. Is that going to be worth it to push out Isaac, Ridley, and characters like those? Will he generate enough hype to validate 800+ hours? I don't think so. I can't even say if he does among Mother fans (outside of the few we have here). Unlike Lucas or other Mother characters, Ninten is essentially a Ness precursor. He does not add anything big or new to this game. As a Mother fan myself, I feel 0 hype. If I saw a trailer with Ninten, I would be like, "Wow, they put their time into that?"
I thought it was established that it only required 700+ hours at the time because they couldn't import M2 and Roy's(?) animations.

Real talk though, I would see Ninten as just being a balance between Lucas and Ness, having some of the pretty much pure offensive game of Lucas mixed with Ness's defense.

Imo these types make the best characters tho. Look at Squirtle who's pretty much Fox with Luigi's slipperiness.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Idk if it's been solved yet, but if it has ignore post:

Why not change the rules so that if someone decides to vote for an obscure/non mainish character, they have to at least provide most of a moveset first? That way we don't get all the random 1/2 votes, and it sheds more light on them. It also has the double plus, if a PMBR does happen to stop in, see said obscure character it could totally inspire something. (Not that this would, just saying there is a minute chance.)

Just my 2 cents.

Also I would like Travis for P:M and I am a legitimate Mother fan Sol
But, as mentioned before. While move sets are fun to make, they really shouldn't affect your votes, considering the PMDT could give interesting moves to a piece of bread.

Waits for you to ironically vote for a piece of bread.

So as such, I don't think that should be part of the restrictions.
Look at Squirtle who's pretty much Fox with Luigi's slipperiness.
Wat.
Real talk though, I would see Ninten as just being a balance between Lucas and Ness, having some of the pretty much pure offensive game of Lucas mixed with Ness's defense.
Ness and Lucas, (While Ness is more advantageous) are both best to be played offensively. The only time either characters need to play defensively is when someone is offstage. And that's almost every character.

Saying Ness is defensive is a little off.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
But, as mentioned before. While move sets are fun to make, they really shouldn't affect your votes, considering the PMDT could give interesting moves to a piece of bread.

Waits for you to ironically vote for a piece of bread.

So as such, I don't think that should be part of the restrictions.

Wat.
I just said that as a means to deter all the random 1/2 votes Anti-Guy was against.

Also, watch Daftatt if you want to see legitimate Squirtle play, not all the Amish withdraw spamming bull**** the scrubs use. You'll understand after seeing. :u

+1 to bread :troll:

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I just said that as a means to deter all the random 1/2 votes Anti-Guy was against.

Also, watch Daftatt if you want to see legitimate Squirtle play, not all the Amish withdraw spamming bull**** the scrubs use. You'll understand after seeing. :u

+1 to bread :troll:
I've seen Daftatt play Squirts. I think the character plays at a certain speed, but I wouldn't call it Fox with Luigi's slide. Lol.

The real part that got me was calling Ness defensive. Ness, when played correctly, is a very offensive player that requires clever spacing. Not defensive, just cautious whilst offensive.

Shin F.

Smash Master

And the problem with this entire statement is that Smash makes updates to character designs all the time. You could just as easily say "Concept art isn't canon! They should never have used unofficial designs for Sheik's Brawl design!"

You could just as easily argue that Pit wasn't even Pit at all when Brawl came out. Dual blades? Spiky hair and anime eyes? Until Brawl decided to update him, Pit was this:
Unless you can show me an example of his updated design somewhere in his canon that came pre-Brawl, the entire design argument is invalid.

Yes, and Ninten (much like Dark Samus) can easily fit the bill for either of these moveset types. I've made him some unique movesets to show that he could be more than a clone if he was designed as such, but that doesn't mean he can't just have a frankenstein moveset with part of Lucas' moves, part of Ness' moves, and tweaked so that they blend together. I remember someone making a list early on in the thread based on the easiest and hardest characters to clone, and Ninten was near the top. Cmart agreed with it if I remember correctly.
Ideally, he should be a clone, if anything. I mean you want to complete the Mother trio. But he's being billed as a unique character with a completely separate moveset. Is that going to be worth it to push out Isaac, Ridley, and characters like those?
As I said, he could easily be a clone with tweaks. And who said anything about pushing out Isaac or Ridley? Are they somehow magically just mutually exclusive?
Will he generate enough hype to validate 800+ hours? I don't think so. I can't even say if he does among Mother fans (outside of the few we have here).
As plateprop said, 700+ hours was back when they were unable to import external animations, which they can now do. That estimate is fairly outdated. This is still a valid argument, though - he's not a serious hype generator for most people, even I know that. This does assume that he would be unique, which is not necessarily true. However:
Unlike Lucas or other Mother characters, Ninten is essentially a Ness precursor. He does not add anything big or new to this game. As a Mother fan myself, I feel 0 hype. If I saw a trailer with Ninten, I would be like, "Wow, they put their time into that?"
You're free to feel about him however you want, but you know, a lot of people might say the same thing about Dark Samus. Even Metroid fans. "Really? She's just a Clone, I can't believe they put her time into that. It's just another Samus. Where's Ridley? Why didn't they just make her a costume like Dark Link? She doesn't add anything."

And you know, they might even say the same about Ridley. "What? We already have Bowser and Charizard! We don't need a third fire-breathing dragon! I can't believe they wasted their time on this."

People might react this way to obscure characters they don't know, like Sable or Sukapon. "Who is that? What, they're from some old Japan-exclusive game that no one in America has even played? Why on earth did they put any effort into someone that nobody cares about?"

They might react this way to characters they feel are more of the same, like another FE swordsman - even if it's not the same at all. "Why did they use Lyn? Seriously, there's too many soards in this game now. They should've gone with Hector. He has an AXE!"

They might react this way to another Sonic character. Actually, I'm willing to bet that most of the same people who would be bored to see the above-listed characters would be ecstatic to see Shadow.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

I'm going to go ahead and put this out there. This is just something I do for fun. I don't really care if it goes anywhere really. But I do want to mention that character have had design alterations to meet the current audience's expectations. Take Ice Climbers and Pit for instance. They were modeled to fit in with the modern cast. And yeah that is significant reason for wanting Ninten to have a reasonable redesign. If you don't agree, then take a good look at the Ice Climber's original art.

If the PMBR gets backlash for modernizing Ninten's design, I would honestly be more disappointed at the community than anyone else. There shouldn't be some massive community uproar over something as silly as a fan made redesign. Especially in a community that is built by the fans, for the fans. That is not to say I don't understand your reasoning. But it seems a bit silly to jump to that conclusion.

I can't really say much about how hype it would be compared to a full on clone character like Isaac or Ridley, because one opinion vs the masses opinion is just against my favor regardless. But I can say we could at least see where it goes in the poll when we do the reset. We can't really judge a character based on our own opinions.

Now about Mother fans, however... I know two other people outside this thread who have talked to me about Project M who said they wanted Ninten. I can't say that speaks for the masses, but that does mean there are people outside this thread who would be hyped for it. Some more than others. All I can really say is let this go and see what the majority wants to happen, or get a PMBR member's opinion on the matter.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
This just got Shintense.

tl;dr version for any scrubs,

Tomato Guy: Ninten is dumb.

Shin: No he's not here's countless valid points to prove it.
Oh. I see. Solbliminal's words have no meaning because I R Nut Mothar feeen.

-1 Vote Psykid's attitude - Reason: It sucks.

Jk. Ya know I love you guys.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
One time I went off on a tangent about how me and five other people were going to make a convo and overthrow the PMBR, good times...

Last edited:

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Guess that ignoring means no, when are you going to update the vote results?

MM3K

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MM3000
3DS FC
3308-4705-1012
It's such a blast to lurk in this thread, kinda makes me wish I had something witty say :V

Also, Vote Reset +1, unlimited down-votes and half-votes are cray-cray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom