• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
If we get another fireemblem character, like Lyn, can she be a Double Jump Cancel sword character? Because THATS what we need right now.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
If we get another fireemblem character, like Lyn, can she be a Double Jump Cancel sword character? Because THATS what we need right now.
Neat idea! Lyn wouldn't make sense for that, but Masked Man would be perfect since he's a PSI kid with a sword.

I support both of them, though.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Because new things are shiny and good.

Moreover, why not? They had no problem introducing Mewtwo and Roy into an environment they weren't meant for, and they fit right in. I have faith that they can do the same with completely original characters. If the Backroom wishes to stretch its creative muscles and try their hand at some new characters, more power to them.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Why do we need new characters?
We don't need them, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to want them. Otherwise, PMBR wouldn't have bothered adding Mewtwo and Roy.

Edit: Ninja'd.
Because new things are shiny and good.

Moreover, why not? They had no problem introducing Mewtwo and Roy into an environment they weren't meant for, and they fit right in. I have faith that they can do the same with completely original characters.
^ This exactly.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
The only concerns I have with new characters in P:M is the fact that those things take buckets of time. Reading about how Mewtwo, a character with a moveset already present, took 800 hours to implement gives me nightmares. I can't imagine how much time a fullblown newcomer would take.
Granted, they probably have much more experience after having added Roy and Mewtwo, and that would definitely speed up the process.
Edit: Also correct me if I am incorrect with the 800 hours statistic

MattNF

Smash Lord
The only concerns I have with new characters in P:M is the fact that those things take buckets of time. Reading about how Mewtwo, a character with a moveset already present, took 800 hours to implement gives me nightmares. I can't imagine how much time a fullblown newcomer would take.
Granted, they probably have much more experience after having added Roy and Mewtwo, and that would definitely speed up the process.
I think I remember reading somewhere that the PMBR added a bunch of new people to the project to help out. If that's true, hopefully it won't take long!

UltimateWario

Smash Master
That, and, what else would their time go toward? While "creating" Roy and Mewtwo, they also managed to bring the rest of the Brawl characters back, make some balance fixes, add alternate costumes, new stages, a few new Easter eggs, etc. I have no doubts that they'll still be able to make regular additions to the base game while working on, say, Isaac (God-willing that Ridley gets into Smash 4), as they've made it pretty clear that, while adding characters is a daunting task, it's not an all-consuming black hole of time and resources.

Shin F.

Smash Master
It's not like we could (or would) force them to add new characters. Any time they put into it is purely voluntary on their part, so it's really not something that concerns us one way or the other, except to applaud their dedication.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Why do we need new characters?
We don't need any more new characters actually. We just all agree that going beyond Melee veterans like Roy and Mewtwo, adding characters exclusive to Project M would make it its own Smash game, as opposed to, "Brawl with the cut Melee characters."

So, while Project M doesn't NEED any more characters, they'd do a hell of a job giving it its own identity, completely separate from Smash 4 (which I'm also looking forward to, but lets face it, Smash 4 most likely won't be anywhere NEAR as balanced as Project M).

EDIT: Ninja'd, man do I type slow

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
At this point I think it's safe to assume that the PMBR has already decided whether they are gonna make use of the additional slots or not. And they most probably have a fair idea towards who they're gonna dedicate hundreds of hours.

I could be wrong tho

Shin F.

Smash Master
At this point I think it's safe to assume that the PMBR has already decided whether they are gonna make use of the additional slots or not. And they most probably have a fair idea towards who they're gonna dedicate hundreds of hours.

I could be wrong tho
Given that they mentioned they're already working on more Alt Costumes, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they already planned out exactly what they're going to do with the remaining Clone Engine slots, if anything.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord

I could be wrong tho
Man, I can't wait until around June, which I predict is when the PMBR will put out an awesome new trailer for a brand new character (given that a completely original character would eat up as much time as both Roy and Mewtwo put together--around 1000 hours. And again, I'm only being hopeful since they PMBR may not have even started on anyone).

Even if it's Pichu, because then I know exactly who I'm going to replace with PSA's of better characters :troll:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Given that they mentioned they're already working on more Alt Costumes, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they already planned out exactly what they're going to do with the remaining Clone Engine slots, if anything.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Man, I can't wait until around June, which I predict is when the PMBR will put out an awesome new trailer for a brand new character (given that a completely original character would eat up as much time as both Roy and Mewtwo put together--around 1000 hours. And again, I'm only being hopeful since they PMBR may not have even started on anyone).

Even if it's Pichu, because then I know exactly who I'm going to replace with PSA's of better characters :troll:
Whoa, now, guys - careful with those P-bombs.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Man, I can't wait until around June, which I predict is when the PMBR will put out an awesome new trailer for a brand new character
Considering that that's probably when Smash 4 will be whipping out its big ol' hype guns for E3, it might be wise to stay clear of that, lest any Project M trailers be perceived as competing with the Smash 4 E3 trailers. It might come off as saying "Why buy a WiiU for that when you can keep your Wii and have this?".

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Whoa, now, guys - careful with those P-bombs.
The bombs' pheromones are known for summoning blue goggles-wearing yellow baby mice native to the back of Zelda's Phantom form. A worse aftereffect would be attracting Mew in a Mega Man outfit, whose intense attitude and snarking toward his opposers disrupt the peace for at least 3 pages.

The military advises that the use of P-bombs, while at times entertaining, should be used sparingly to avoid such consequences.

Considering that that's probably when Smash 4 will be whipping out its big ol' hype guns for E3, it might be wise to stay clear of that, lest any Project M trailers be perceived as competing with the Smash 4 E3 trailers. It might come off as saying "Why buy a WiiU for that when you can keep your Wii and have this?".
Ah, I see, good point. In that case, maybe after E3 (July) or before (May).

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
okay so the 5 clones the pmbr cooked up were apparently leaked on /v/ master document and all now because its from /v/ i wold have taken it with a grain of salt but then someone from project m comfirmed it on there(there was even a model) (would just like to point out i saw this on a site other than /v/) now if these characters are real well you are all going to enjoy them very much im not going to post who they were because i dont want to ruin the dev surprise

D

Deleted member

If those characters are real, I'm assuredly not going to enjoy their presence save for two of them. And even then, I don't care much for one of those two.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
like i said i read this on a diffrent site than /v/ so by the time i saw it the /v/ thread was probobly deleted now the model is still around but i wont post that here as like i said earlier i dont want to ruin the devs suprise

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I'm not afraid of fake leaks.

I'm also not afraid of real leaks.

I was right there with based josh during the Pokemon leaks.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
I'm not afraid of fake leaks.

I'm also not afraid of real leaks.

I was right there with based josh during the Pokemon leaks.
same here man thems were good times

EDIT: ya were not going to find the original post because the site i read this from posted this info about 2 hours ago long enough for them to remove it entirely from /v/ im going to guess they didnt plan on someone saving the model thus letting leak this info again

Last edited:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
So what are the leaked characters then, supposedly? Don't be shy, post them here to show that we're more sane about these "leaks" than the Smash 4 thread.

Sonicthesneak

Smash Ace
Yeah... I think I've seen a model for one of the "Final Five". It looks good. I'm not going to be one to say who they are but I found bits of the info trickling out.

But yeah, wow. Crazy. I wanted some Smash Leaks... but not for Project M. I trust them. :p

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
I found the leaks.

The list of people these leaks claim to be in Project M are...
Skull Kid
Knuckles
Lin
Sami
Isaac

The model that was apparently leaked was made by a former PMBR member though.

Just going to say that the validity of these leaks is probably extremely low.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
So what are the leaked characters then, supposedly? Don't be shy, post them here to show that we're more sane about these "leaks" than the Smash 4 thread.
i really dont want to ruin the devs surprise they were really upset it got leaked in the first place apparently dont want that ire directed at me

Sonicthesneak

Smash Ace
I found the leaks.

Skull Kid
Knuckles
Lin
Sami
Isaac

The model that was apparently leaked was made by a former PMBR member though.

Just going to say that the validity of these leaks is probably extremely low.
You think so? It is possible that they've changed their mind but the model for the 4th character is very nice... and from what I've followed about their series, the rep is easily "Luigi-fiable" cloneable.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Anyone managed to save a pic of this model?

Edit: Nevermind. Found it. Just wish the thread didn't go out.

Sonicthesneak

Smash Ace
Just gonna leave this here and let the chips fall where they may.
Aww. Link won't load for me. But my computer has very high security on it. I'll just take that for "it's a lot older then we think" kind of thing.

Either way I can wait. Though it would be a way to get me interested in that series after trying out a potential character. But again, if I had to choose what game to see decent leaks on... I'd choose Smash 4 over Project M.

PMBR seems to listen to the fans. Sakurai, Nintendo and the Smash 4 development team seem to be doing what they want and we just have to go along with it. I trust PMBR more then Sakurai. And I'm big "Melee" fan either. Just a fan of fun Smash characters. :p

I can trust and wait on PMBR to act. :)

EDIT: Here's where I saw the model and info about what happened in /V/. But read at your own risk. As other have said, it maybe outdated info or just overall false.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/68493247

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
i really dont want to ruin the devs surprise they were really upset it got leaked in the first place apparently dont want that ire directed at me
I dunno man,

Skull Kid
Knuckles
Lin
Sami
Isaac
If this ends up real I'd be surprised anyway, considering, of all things, that Sonic got a new character but not Metal Gear. Why give one third party character leeway over another, hmm?

EDIT: and why Knuckles, of all Sonic reps to choose from? Why Sami, when Andy's more of a main character? This list just seems REEEALLY fake to me. I think you're just trolling us all.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
I don't understand why they'd go for Sami instead of Andy, and it's for that reason that I'm gonna assume this leak is false, for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom