• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New application to an old move

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I rarely use this website and this is actually my first post. I figure why not show my existence to the board to my secondary character :chuckle: .

Anyways, let me just say really quickly that IMHO, I feel I have a nice Kirby. I wish I could show it off, but I don't have any vids :urg: . I'll try to get some asap ^_^.

Alright, the real reason I'm posting: Because I enjoy playing Kirby so much, I like to experiment with random stuff (who doesn't these days m i rite). One particular move that I have found (and cannot find anywhere else) is a "reversed-short-hop-hammer-in-the-air-maneuver". Yes, I know, not very original, so sue me.

Picture this: an approaching Kirby short hopping and using the hammer backwards. If you bust it out nicely, you should have the momentum to continue approaching with the hammer, versus completely stopping. Because (if I'm right) the air hammer first hits backwards with a decent radius, it should hopefully hit him with a nice combo. Working with that, you could either go with u-tilts or even a grab.

Whenever I use this, it seems to work ~95% of the time, but I can only play against so many people. I was wondering if all those awesome Kirby players could help test this out and tell me what they think of it...or if this technique already exists.

Don't expect to see me much, gamefaqs already ruins my life :psycho:

Buttcrust

Smash Ace
I use this a lot. It is great. I'm not too good with it because it has poor priority and I'm overly cautios with it but when it works it sets up the u-tilt nicely. I think Omnigamer mentioned this way back in the day. He doesn't seem to use it much despite his emphatic promotion of it, but I really like it except against Fox where his u-smash trades hits with me. I think this is a very underused move in Kirby's game.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I like catching people with it who don't know how Kirby fights. Anyone who's been hit with it before knows to just DI/Crouch-Cancel and hit Kirby as his landing lag with it is stoopid.

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
This is completely random, and off topic.
this is the kirby board, is it not? and i did just talk about one of kirby's move, did i not? i think one of us is very wrong >_>.

But how the hell did you join smashboards in 2003, and THIS is your first post?
uhh...i dunno, i never really felt like posting. i dont even visit this site too often, but its nice to see some of the vids that i can easily find on youtube now :p .

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I think his "random, and off topic" remark was in an introductory statement to his question about your first post and join date, not a direct response to your post.

BTW, didn't you read either of the stickied Kirby Guides? The Reverse Aerial Hammer is discussed in both.

Edit:
Oh, and on topic about the Aerial Hammer...
I used this against someone yesterday and they said "What?!" I didn't know why he was confused until I found out he thought Kirby's hammer was a 26% hit even in the air. LOL.

It shows you how little people actually know about Kirby. o_o

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
BTW, didn't you read either of the stickied Kirby Guides? The Reverse Aerial Hammer is discussed in both
really? i definitely read one of those and i don't recall seeing it... :confused:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Er...double post? "database errors" are messing up my posts.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
The Puffball from Popstar Ver 2.0 said:
SHAH
Ok, for this you have to run straight at the enemy, and Short hop and start the Aerial hammer As soon as possible. Timing for this is tight, and you should make sure your starting the aerial hammer as soon as you can as not to gain too much height. You should go straight through the enemy, setting you up for an up-tilt or grab combo.
The Competitve Kirby said:
A varient on this technique is to Dash in as usual, but use the opposite direction to execute the Hammer in the air ("Reverse Aerial Hammer").
BTW: If you get some videos up, I'll add you to the Kirby Video Archive.

Gimpy, can we get a F-smash here?

HoshiPuri

Smash Journeyman
I personally think that the hammer approach is awesome!

Reverse aerial hammer ~> Couple of Up Tilts ~> Full Jump double B-air ~> Spike

Yeah, good stuff!

Dodger

Smash Ace
YEah I really like reverse aerial hammer. I probably use it a bit too much though. As t!mmy pointed out though, most people just CC it and punish. But it sometimes does lead into to utilt combos, which are always nice.

Foom

Smash Cadet
yes the reverse aerial hammer can lead into a good combo into a kill, but other moves wuld be better to use that are less punishable and culd still lead to a kill. Kirby's other approaches are just less likely to be punished and kirby just dies to easily to trade hits. It just isn't worth it.

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
yes the reverse aerial hammer can lead into a good combo into a kill, but other moves wuld be better to use that are less punishable and culd still lead to a kill. Kirby's other approaches are just less likely to be punished and kirby just dies to easily to trade hits. It just isn't worth it.
while you may be right, the reverse aerial hammer helps put you in a position where you get more options of hurting your opponent (grab, u-tilt, f-tilt) where as other approaches are somewhat more predictable and may even hurt you (going for a grab, shffl). also, how many people play against kirby to know his attacks? i can tell you that 90% of the time i pull out the reverse aerial hammer correctly, i get a hit off. the other 10% of the time? yea, i might get hit or put up my shield just in case.

dont think im just all talk (although its easy to assume that since i dont attend many tournaments). as soon as i get some vids, ill post em. right now im in the process of finding out how to do that (check out my topic in videography :p)

Top Bottom