• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Advanced Technique: Rise Dashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
You know how wavedashing looks, right? Imagine that upward. The Rise Dash.

It uses an air dodge at a forward motion to approach your opponent, without fear of punishment. (So long as you're paying attention)

You dash, jump, and then air dodge immediately afterward, cause your current path to aim at a 35 degree angel, and you'll have just enough time to perform an aerial attack before hitting the ground.

Charatcters such as bowser, dedede, and ike will most likely have a hard time using this, given their weight, and start up lag, whereas Pit, metanight, and charizard, characters with multiple jumps and short start up lag, will be able to stay more offensive, and a lot more useful in one on one.

This technique is also the best way to avoid the dreaded final smash. Tell marth to kiss his top tier goodbye. :D

JustinAC

Smash Cadet
The only difference is you don't get to choose the direction you air-dodge, you follow the momentum of your jump. So being able to jump after an air dodge doesnt really do anything special, but this technique seems cool.

Norgay

Smash Apprentice
wow, didn't know you could do stuff after air dodging. Huh maybe that could lead the way to the new "technique" that is needed to play competitive brawl :p

Kruton

Smash Ace
If the momentum in air dodging is in fact that subtle, then this could definitely be a skillful tactic.

Lunaretic

Smash Apprentice
This could definitely be useful, however, it doesn't stop your opponent from guarding your hit then bashing you, assuming there's lag time at the end of the movement when you hit the ground. Overall, will be interesting to see how it goes. With a predictable end point of the air-dodge though a good player could have timed a strike to hit as you come out of the dodge as well.

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
Sounds legit to me, and I can already see the mindgames formed from this. You use a short hop aerial attack, but your opponent catches you with a Fsmash. On your next approach you use the RD (rising dash) you air dodge right through the Fsmash then punish with a fair. You try another RD but, your opponent predicts it, waits until you come out of the air dodge, then punishes with a Fsmash. On your next approach you simply fair and your opponent gets hit waiting on the air dodge. And so the triangle of Rock, Paper, scissors is formed.

Lunaretic

Smash Apprentice
Sounds legit to me, and I can already see the mindgames formed from this. You use a short hop aerial attack, but your opponent catches you with a Fsmash. On your next approach you use the RD (rising dash) you air dodge right through the Fsmash then punish with a fair. You try another RD but, your opponent predicts it, waits until you come out of the air dodge, then punishes with a Fsmash. On your next approach you simply fair and your opponent gets hit waiting on the air dodge. And so the triangle of Rock, Paper, scissors is formed.
RisingDash>FSmash>Fair>DelaySmash>RisingDash

Sounds good to me : )

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
There is still the use of shield grabbing, that can stop a normal fair. But I imagine a well timed RD could place you above your opponent for a dair, then landing behind them without a shield grab option. Many possibilities with the new air dodge feature.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
They added technical skills or abilities to brawl?!? UNPOSSIBLE! We've had countless assurances from people who have never played the game that all advanced techniques and skill have been removed!

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
I can see a lot of mind games from this, but like others have said, there will be a predictable time frame of how long an air dodge lasts, and you can't just pull one after another, so it'd be good for dodging attacks that creates a lot of lag. As for dodging final smashes it depends. With ones like sonic, he can just guard the spot you go back to after you dodge. With ones like marth, it'd be good for dodging IFF the player doesn't combo you into it. There was a great combo developed with MK's FS and I believe it will happen again with others like marth, most likely incorporating forward throws. With one's that are uncontrollable and leave the player unmovable, like lucas or ddd, this will work fairly well if you couldn't get too an edge fast enough to camp there. The one thing that cannot be guard is everyone's problem child, kirby's FS, which just drags everyone in and if high enough, kills you, period. This would easily be a great tech for those with more than THREE NORMAL jumps, for thats when mind games come into play of if they're gonna use it this jump or five jumps from now, so all you multi-jump mains out there, i would suggest learning this.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
I can see a lot of mind games from this, but like others have said, there will be a predictable time frame of how long an air dodge lasts, and you can't just pull one after another, so it'd be good for dodging attacks that creates a lot of lag. As for dodging final smashes it depends. With ones like sonic, he can just guard the spot you go back to after you dodge. With ones like marth, it'd be good for dodging IFF the player doesn't combo you into it. There was a great combo developed with MK's FS and I believe it will happen again with others like marth, most likely incorporating forward throws. With one's that are uncontrollable and leave the player unmovable, like lucas or ddd, this will work fairly well if you couldn't get too an edge fast enough to camp there. The one thing that cannot be guard is everyone's problem child, kirby's FS, which just drags everyone in and if high enough, kills you, period. This would easily be a great tech for those with more than THREE NORMAL jumps, for thats when mind games come into play of if they're gonna use it this jump or five jumps from now, so all you multi-jump mains out there, i would suggest learning this.

Yea but,what if we pull off netural As to create a potential clashing with there chosen follow up?

dmbrandon

Smash Master
This is not speculation, as it's the basis on my Pit's offense.

And yes, it can be dodged/shielded, but so can anything. Just somethin g to keep in mind. ^_^

BananaHammock

Smash Journeyman
You know how wavedashing looks, right? Imagine that upward. The Rise Dash.

It uses an air dodge at a forward motion to approach your opponent, without fear of punishment. (So long as you're paying attention)

You dash, jump, and then air dodge immediately afterward, cause your current path to aim at a 35 degree angel, and you'll have just enough time to perform an aerial attack before hitting the ground.

Charatcters such as bowser, dedede, and ike will most likely have a hard time using this, given their weight, and start up lag, whereas Pit, metanight, and charizard, characters with multiple jumps and short start up lag, will be able to stay more offensive, and a lot more useful in one on one.

This technique is also the best way to avoid the dreaded final smash. Tell marth to kiss his top tier goodbye. :D
I don't want to sound like a jerk, but I though of this a long time ago. Pretty much the week of E for All. I'm glad you posted it though. Rising Dash seems like a kinda unfitting name though. I don't really think you can put a name on something that is as common sense as this tech.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
This is not speculation, as it's the basis on my Pit's offense.

And yes, it can be dodged/shielded, but so can anything. Just somethin g to keep in mind. ^_^

So I was right about my orginal SF3 idea in this game after all.I gotta find that post were the Mods were *****ing at me about it being a stupid idea.But hey man,another theory I was thinking of since that of yours is a cool addtion is maybe preforming a feint sorta? Iam gonna call this the Rising Halt theory if you dont mind :laugh:

Basically,what the Rising Halt would be is a dash starting out similar to your Rising Dash but its end result its just a short hop fast fall,thus causing a werid predictiment that can hide the current sitution similar to what the Rising dash does.The down side to this is that if they know your attemping it,they can intercept with an attack or grab.

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
So I was right about my orginal SF3 idea in this game after all.I gotta find that post were the Mods were *****ing at me about it being a stupid idea.But hey man,another theory I was thinking of since that of yours is a cool addtion is maybe preforming a feint sorta? Iam gonna call this the Rising Halt theory if you dont mind :laugh:

Basically,what the Rising Halt would be is a dash starting out similar to your Rising Dash but its end result its just a short hop fast fall,thus causing a werid predictiment that can hide the current sitution similar to what the Rising dash does.The down side to this is that if they know your attemping it,they can intercept the attack or grab.
Thats called an empty short hop, its been around for a while.

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
I tried JC grabbing and I got this. Didn't think about attack afterwards though =D

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
Correct me if im wrong, but would there still be lag following the arial attack that is performed after the air dodge, or is the lag cancelled? If lag is apparnelt afterwards then it's a little bit gimped :dizzy:

Also would a shield grab work well against a Rising Dash (i mean at least as the arial attack part is concerned) ,as a counter?

Regardless of all this though, this is great technique, not nearly as difficult as wavedashing was to learn.

S2

Smash Lord
I'm confused on the description...

what is different about this than simply airdodging on an approach. Since people have been speculating uses for that since E4All.

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
I'm confused on the description...

what is different about this than simply airdodging on an approach. Since people have been speculating uses for that since E4All.
When timed correctly you can quickly get either above or behind your opponent setting up a bair or dair. Without fear of shield grabs, or being hit when passing through your opponent.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
When timed correctly you can quickly get either above or behind your opponent setting up a bair or dair. Without fear of shield grabs, or being hit when passing through your opponent.
If it requires a run thoughh, are we sure of the speed mechanic in regards to how much space you need to perform this to get a run started? Because a sidestep and attack would dumb down this technique no?
From the sounds of it its rather predictable too, of course i cant somment since i havent seen it in action. Anyone able to post a video of this?

S2

Smash Lord
Then my second question is, since obviously you need to commit to the move once you start the airdodge, doesn't that leave you vulnerable.

This strat seems to assume that there is no lag after an airdodge at all (maybe theres not, I don't know).

But it seems to me that your opponent is just as set up for a B-air, and if the airdodge has any lag, its you whose vulnerable and not them.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
Then my second question is, since obviously you need to commit to the move once you start the airdodge, doesn't that leave you vulnerable.

This strat seems to assume that there is no lag after an airdodge at all (maybe theres not, I don't know).

But it seems to me that your opponent is just as set up for a B-air, and if the airdodge has any lag, its you whose vulnerable and not them.
Thats the thing. My reaction, if anyone came towards me running, would be to spot dodge, which would, in turn make this technique useless and leave the user open to a pounding, no?

EDIT: Or couldnt you just shield this, and then Shieldgrab the user? :confused:
Seems flawed to me. Need a vid of this!

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
Well, I just took pictures showing the steps. It all works wonders with brawl since you can pause the game, take a screenshot, then save it directly to an SD card.

Give me a bit, I'll be editing them

EDIT: Lame, the pictures aren't jpegs or GIFs. I'll have to use my camera phone to take pictures of the pictures >_>

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
Well, I just took pictures showing the steps. It all works wonders with brawl since you can pause the game, take a screenshot, then save it directly to an SD card.

Give me a bit, I'll be editing them
That would be perfect! Cant wait to see the steps :)

Edit: @ OoNoiRoO ~ what format are the screens in? just out of curiosity?

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so I won't edit anything... but I'll explain.

1. Initiate a dash.

2. Then jump then immediately air dodge. The timing should be similar to a JC grab, but more lenient. You should pop up diagonally, length depends on the character.

Then

Behind your opponent now and at the peak of your rising dash, you should be free to execute actions again.

How about landing with a meaty Back air?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom