• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Abilities Introduced in Tears of the Kingdom?

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
After seventeen years we've finally got some new moveset potential for Ganondorf on Smash :0 Although...honestly not much. His boss battle in Tears of the Kingdom is quite standard.

The most immediate noticable thing is a set of four weapons associated him, matching the four weapon types of Switch Zelda. But those are a club, which is indistinguishable to the sword he already uses for his smash attacks, a sword, which we already know he uses and a spear, which is pretty functionally similar to the trident he always had the potential to use (though it's nice that he has something like it in human form). The last is a bow, which is kind of new for him, and even has a property of dealing more damage the more (maximum) health you have which could work like an inverse Lucario. Not sure I want to see something like that on Ganondorf specifically though.

How he uses these weapons are pretty generic swings. He has some leaping attacks that could be used in aerials I guess. There is a rush attack leaving behind a trail of gloom that could be a decent substitute for Wizard's Foot. He also summons generic dark energy in waves a long the ground and some projectiles.

Not much punching or kicking u fortunately :( Though he does seem to perform one pretty epic punch in a cutscene that we are woefully unable to actually see.

So is there anything I specifically would like to see adapted into his moveset? Yeah, kind of, though it's actually an idea I've had for a while on my custom specials doc. And that is to give him Zelda's Phantom as a down special, only he'd summon Phantom Ganon. Previously I'd chosen the Wind Waker/Four Swords Adventures Phantom Ganon, but with Phantom Ganon's somewhat more prominent role in Tears of the Kingdom it seems likes it would be a perfect fit. The attack would be a charge store with three phases. Doing it immediately has Phantom Ganon attack with Gloom Sword. A moderate charge has a more ranger Gloom Spear and a full charge would be Gloom Club having the same range but with more power. Phantom Ganon even has an etheral looking rush attack that looks like it would fit right into Smash. Summoning Phantom Ganon is actually one of Ganondorf's more consistent tactics, if not attacks, so it actually fits very well as an attack for him.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Phantom Ganon incorporation seems interesting, but I'd question if it's what they want to go for for his character archetype in Smash (same way everyone always wants a version of Deadman's Volley, which I guess TotK Ganondorf had an equivalent "energy sphere circle" attack that could be deflected back at him, but it's not what most would say is memorable about the fight).

I actually like some of the unique weapon moves with the idea that they'd spread gloom. The spear thrust being a mobility option/functionally replacing Wizard's Foot while leaving an AoE that slows/adds DoT on opponents, or even the gloom club energy wave (which I think could be made into a specific aerial version of neutral B) to give some slow moving projectiles that can't be blocked. Gloom itself being a passive effect added to some normals that use darkness, albeit rebalanced to not be as potent as the specials.

If nothing else I at least hope we finally get this Ganondorf as a template for the sole fact that I thought it was incredibly refreshing seeing him be so nimble/acrobatic. I know they would give him like flurry rush, but at least showing he has quick burst speed when he needs to should be something they pull from.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I'd be down for Phantom Ganon as a Ganon clone who has faster movement and increased range (with the weapons you mentioned) but damages himself due to Gloom Toll. Make sure he has two sets of alts (for OoT and TotK) and we're set!

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think TotK Ganondorf should be the default appearance for him in the next Smash (without neglecting his other appearances as alts).

But in terms of moveset, just keep it the same (and revert to the old Smashes). I just don't like the idea of Ganondorf being a sword user in Smash or in Zelda, yet TotK insists on keeping up with the trend of Ganondorf always being a sword user.

Seriously, the SpaceWorld demo is probably the worst thing to ever happen to Ganondorf, now Nintendo and fans alike just expect Ganondorf to be a sword user from then on.

Top Bottom