• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NEW: A Safe Approach With Sonic

Sariku

Smash Master
Whether this is new or not, I believe I found the safest way to approach with Sonic. Of course, just running is an alright approach, mixing this in will make people further irritated. I wont go into too much detail, as I am currently on my Wii, but here it is.

Sonic has one of the best air dodges in the game, so this approach will abuse it. Basically, you will short hop forwards and air dodge. The key to this is not air dodging right after you jump, but more in the middle. You can do any attack right after landing, once you learn the timing. This works jumping backwards as well.

Mix this up with running, attacks, whatever, but air dodging regularly is essential to making this work to its fullest. So abuse it, as if attacked in air dodge, it wont touch you, of course. This takes a lot of practice though to perfect, so experiment with this before labeling the idea useless. I find it most useful for dodging projectile spammers, like Pit, Toon Link, and R.O.B. Also for getting behind characters, since you can attack directly afterwards with no lag.

Discuss.

Umby

Smash Master
It's been mentioned before, to an extent of low frequency. I definitely try and mix in my approach in such a fashion, though I do immediately air dodge. I wouldn't call it a completely safe approach though, as some characters can chain two moves together quickly, and others have moves that tend to stay out there for a while.

Sariku

Smash Master
It is possible to hit when you land, when someone can read you, but as we all know, if you hold shield when you air dodge, you'll hold your shield up when you land on the ground. This can be used to grab, or to just block attacks. I would show you guys a video if I had a chance too. I only have replays though. -shrug-

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
If you can (although difficult), its really effective to try to pull of a Bair before you land from behind them as long as their hitbox is in front of them. Its surprisingly easy to follow up with a combo before they land.

Boxob

Smash Champion
I already said this, it's called a SHAD (short hop aerial dodge).

It's alright, nothing game breaking for, and when playing someone online you feel more inclined to do something else so it's not all that useful.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
spincharging is the best approach IMO, theres too much u can do out of it. you can cancel it to try something else, if u see ur opponent is gonna try to grab you out of it u can jump out of it. you can jump (which does damage) and aerial from it. its too versitile and amazing.

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace
spincharging is the best approach IMO, theres too much u can do out of it. you can cancel it to try something else, if u see ur opponent is gonna try to grab you out of it u can jump out of it. you can jump (which does damage) and aerial from it. its too versitile and amazing.

Spincharging is such a good approach, but yea i use the short hop air dodge all time as an offensive strategy. Its also cool to really low short hop and instantly air dodge, it looks like sonic does this trippy flip, there are invincibility frames plus its mindgamey.

Umby

Smash Master
However Spin Dash/Charge can't really be abused an approach. Do it too far away, and the opponent will see it and defend. Do it too close, and you're like to be hit during the charge.

edit: We all know Sonic is about mixing up his approach more than anything. Dash attack one turn. Spin Dash, Jump Cancel, Homing attack on the next. SHAD on another. There's no real safe approach, but we have a number of options to mix up so we can take the minimal damage and risk as we possibly can.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Dash attack is Sonic's best approach. As long as you get the initial hit, it's literally unpunishable. A bit like Fox's one in Melee but better.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
do u mean spin dash? or running attack? both are very good approaches.

approaching in general is all about predictability.

my sonic approaches are spin dashes, dash attacks, fair's, spring into dair, spin-charge, jump while spinning into fair or homing attack, hyphen smash, turn around grab.

and shutter smash

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace

my sonic approaches are spin dashes, dash attacks, fair's, spring into dair, spin-charge, jump while spinning into fair or homing attack, hyphen smash, turn around grab.

and shutter smash
shutter smash?? please enlighten me...:confused:

R4ZE

Smash Ace
its in lucky's combo video.

you hit the directional stick and then the c-stick and it causes sonic's smash to have more range by a bit because it moves him forward.

you should just watch lucky's video on youtube, it explains it in more detaila nd shows it.

messiahfreak2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
messiahfreak2000

and shutter smash
yea, those are very nice approaches. i recently started throwing in the spin dash cancel (side b) to throw my opponent off. tricks them with the sound effect into wondering if its a dash attack or not.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Sonic's air dodge is terrible. Seriously, he takes forever to start it, is invincible for a very short duration, and lags eh at the end. Safest approach is whatever is least predictable. Or RAR bair. That **** is hot.

I have something new that I need to test against people. I may have found something pretty sexy with Sonic, word on it later.

Browny

Smash Hater
if only there was a way to cancel spin dash into a short-hop air dodge such that when you land you instantly shield grab :( spent like an 30 mins trying to make it work. that would be truly awesome if it was possible

R4ZE

Smash Ace
Sonic's air dodge is terrible. Seriously, he takes forever to start it, is invincible for a very short duration, and lags eh at the end. Safest approach is whatever is least predictable. Or RAR bair. That **** is hot.

I have something new that I need to test against people. I may have found something pretty sexy with Sonic, word on it later.
oooo new techniques, exciting. =D

Top Bottom