• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Never buy HP

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I can't believe this is happening again.

I purchased a warranty last year on my HP laptop to cover a repair. Huge long story but they've been ripping me off for years.

I have a repair that needs done now. I called them about it, and they say they don't have any records that I purchased a warranty, and so they're not going to cover my repair. I spent $277.13 on that warranty. I have the credit card statement in hand right now. They said it was just for a repair.

This is just the tip of the iceberg of a HUGE list of dishonest vile stuff that this company has done to me with regards to this laptop. I'm not going to type it all in, because i'm too angry right now.

People, do yourselves a favor. Don't ever buy an HP product ever again. They make shiny looking cases. that's all they do well. Their customer support is a complete sham. Their entire business model revolves around them screwing their customers. They will not honor their warranties. They will lie to you on the phone. (happened to me). They will steal hardware from you (they stole my hard drive). they will hang up on you (happened to me twice.) They will swear at you if you demand to be treated well (happened to me.) They will give you the runaround on your repair for 6 months (happened to me...). They will trick you into paying for a warranty and then not honor it. (happened to me.)

The only way to avoid all of this is to NEVER BUY THEIR PRODUCTS. They can't steal from you if you don't buy their products. Please do yourselves a favor and don't ever buy an HP product again. It will be tempting because they are shinier than the other laptops sitting next to them. But you will be disappointed and in the end, they will not treat you right.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Do you have the receipt of said warranty? Where did you buy it?

I remember my HP computer had a problem and I brought it back to PC Richard and fixed it for free. =S

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
For the Mac experience, take all your issues, then add in proprietary parts with a $1500 laptop.

Gea

Smash Master
A shame laptops are a smidge harder to assemble yourself. Thank the Gods I never have to deal with this kind of nightmare on any desktop I use. Luckily my laptop use remains "needs internet and word processing" so I can get off with a cheap asus netbook and be happy.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
HP is **** quality so I would never purchase one anyway.

Report em to the better business bureau, do you have the receipt?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Eh, I had a HP laptop run fine for me for about 5 years. Had it from when I was 15-19. Just simply gave out, and now I have a MBP. So far, I've gotten good customer service, and have no complaints.

But yeah, seems like I've been hearing more and more bad things about HP. However, it's usually been due to cheap parts. First time I've heard something on their customer service.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Wow, that sounds pretty unlucky.

I'm the type of person that would throw the laptop out the window before a quarter of those things even happened, litterally.

Hope you're planning on getting a new laptop from a different company, or at least attempt to get your laptop repaired at a local computer store. Going through HP again will only add to your first post.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
A shame laptops are a smidge harder to assemble yourself. Thank the Gods I never have to deal with this kind of nightmare on any desktop I use. Luckily my laptop use remains "needs internet and word processing" so I can get off with a cheap asus netbook and be happy.
A smidge harder my ***. Try AT LEAST a grand more expensive, assembly being significantly more difficult, inconvenient, and time consuming, and the parts being generally unavailable outside of online!

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
Use macs, be happy. I don't even know how this computer works or its specs but I don't care because it isnt as ****ing annoying as my pc.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
They make shiny looking cases. that's all they do well.
LO ****ing L. The only HP computer I've ever owned, a desktop Pavilion, worked decently for its time, but the biggest complaint I ever had about it was the ****ty case. The only people who think rounded edges/corners and all-plastic forms are "shiny and cool" are people who don't know better.

Use macs, be happy. I don't even know how this computer works or its specs but I don't care because it isnt as ****ing annoying as my pc.
I'd like to know how my stuff works when I'm using it. I got absolutely no information whatsoever when my old Mac died on me and the most description it could give me about why it wasn't working any more was

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, Ankoku. The shininess just draws people in. They "look nicer" than the ones sitting next to them, and that's enough to sway a lot of people.

I'm getting an Asus G73 (i think) as my next laptop, maybe as early as this summer. Until then, I'll borrow my wife's Acer or use this super old Dell Latitude D610 that I'm on right now if I don't need the more powerful system.

I love that I installed the newest Ubuntu on a 5-6 year old laptop that was retired from a steel factory's IT department last year, and it works flawless and fast.

I swear, if they released MS Office for linux (not through Wine...too buggy that way still) I'd use Ubuntu for everything except league of legends.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
OpenOffice not good enough for you? :<

Anyway, now I'm confused. Look nicer than "the ones sitting next to them"? Did you really buy a laptop from retail? 'Cause if so, I highly recommend stopping that practice altogether.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
No, OpenOffice isn't nearly good enough. I use manage an Access database, among many other tasks, at work that simply can't be used in anything but Access. Excel and Word are lightyears better than any other alternatives, too. As much as I'm a Linux guy at heart, I'm not afraid to admit that Microsoft makes the best Office suite by a long shot.

I don't buy laptops from retail. I'm describing the average consumer.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'd be more upset about average consumers getting Sony Vaios than HPs, honestly.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
And an unreasonable price increase to go along with it. I guess you can claim that you get what you pay for, except... well, no, I wouldn't agree with that either. At least with HP you know what you're getting into because practically nothing they make costs over $1000.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I think that goes into the range of "your own damn fault." HP/Compaq have long been known as relatively cheap PC makers that have a decent power-to-cost ratio at the expense of having pretty much nothing truly high-end. How you ended up getting something from them for $2400 I don't even want to know. Laptops shouldn't cost that much unless you're buying from actual quality. If the replacement you plan on getting is going to cost that much too, I recommend AVADirect.

https://www.avadirect.com/

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm not saying laptops should never cost that much, I'm saying you should never have even considered reaching that price range with a budget computer builder. It's about the same stretch as getting a custom paint job from Dell... while I'm certain it's possible to some degree, you're really walking some boundaries there.

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
If you needed a powerful system, did you have to get a laptop?

Did you have to be mobile?

If not, why not build a PC yourself?

It will be way cheaper than what any custom PC builder attempts to charge you.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yes, it had to be mobile. I was doing audio recording in multiple locations frequently. I've built maybe a dozen desktop systems, including a couple of high end ones years back.

Top Bottom