• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness vs. High Tiers discussion/Character Matchups

Levitas

the moon
lol, I'm pretty sure that was a mix of annoying making a joke and being emo. (yes you are)

And the run up and utilt would be awesome if it works, it'd be like Ness catching the sword.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
And the run up and utilt would be awesome if it works, it'd be like Ness catching the sword.
I can do it, sometimes... You need really fast fingers though....

Annoying is turning into EB360. First the emo phase, next the I'm randomly leaving for no particular reason.

Levitas

the moon
yeah. No clue why random people keep coming here to post that one fairly specific phrase and then leave. It'd be better if more Ness players came here, posted, and then stayed to improve Ness's game.

D

Deleted member

Ummm, i was too lazy to read the whole thread, cuz i have a life (almost), but what do u do against shiek and her forsaken needles. Downb...doesnt work. Also, her tilt games is very potent. Any advice or at least tell me what page its on.Mmkay
And also:Ness ***** Fox and falco

up throw+up air+ foward smash.

GG (i wasnt sure which phrase u were refering too, so i posted all 3)

Levitas

the moon
lol. Against sheik's needles, you yyg off of one that's on the ground. Once your thunder jacket clanks with every needle thrown your way and you hit your opponent by touching them, they don't throw needles at you anymore.

Other than that, Ness has issues with needle edgeguards. Try to recover from angles that reduce the likelyhood of being aerial needled and being standing needled. If you can do a downward angled sweetspot, nobody sees it coming, and needles can't touch you.

In terms of normal battle, Ness is pretty good at avoiding projectiles. If they are throwing from the ground, jump over them. If the sheik is in the air, get under her and start juggling.

The sheik matchup is tough, but I hope that helped somewhat.

D

Deleted member

lol. Against sheik's needles, you yyg off of one that's on the ground. Once your thunder jacket clanks with every needle thrown your way and you hit your opponent by touching them, they don't throw needles at you anymore.

Other than that, Ness has issues with needle edgeguards. Try to recover from angles that reduce the likelyhood of being aerial needled and being standing needled. If you can do a downward angled sweetspot, nobody sees it coming, and needles can't touch you.

In terms of normal battle, Ness is pretty good at avoiding projectiles. If they are throwing from the ground, jump over them. If the sheik is in the air, get under her and start juggling.

The sheik matchup is tough, but I hope that helped somewhat.
So basically i should learn how to activate the YYG in order to beat shiek? Cuz i dont but i will learn. Is it easy to learn (ive read the guide but i never understood.) Alright thanks, but how to i combat ftilts, with their long range and speed.

Levitas

the moon
Yeah, tilts wreck Ness. The idea is to DI up and away out of them, but to also try to avoid the inevitable fair coming after the tilts, as well as the regrab.

Don't really rely on the yyg to do the matchup for you. To beat a shiek, you need to outplay your opponent. While the yyg is cool and works to cause needle spammers to lose their edge, it's hard and slow to activate, and really only hits your opponent once (unless they throw a LOT of needles).

Do find openings in the playstyle of the shiek. Do use mobility on the ground and in the air to bait attacks, then punish whatever lag there is (naturally, shiek doesn't have much lag, so move in quick).

UmbreonMow's advice is to never attack first. That's a good idea. There's more in the Ness guide if you just ctl + f to search the page for shiek. She's one of the matchups detailed in the guide, and the reading for that section should be really helpful.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
There's more in the Ness guide if you just ctl + f to search the page for shiek. She's one of the matchups detailed in the guide, and the reading for that section should be really helpful.
Fverything said was correct except that thing. My guide is horribly outdated.... and incomplete. In fact I'm rewriting the shiek section now...

Levitas

the moon
The pk fire goes through needles. The needles don't even cancel it! (pretty much every projectile minus turnip cancels with the needle) The problem is the fact that you can only cancel a few needles if the sheik throws a bunch at once due to the angle that the bolt travels at. The second problem is the greater startup time and lag that is attached to the pk fire when compared to needles.

Don't do it. It's not worth it. Do something worthwhile like shielding the needles so they bounce and fall to the ground where you can yyg off of them. Then do a little dance when you kill them with the thunder jacket. Then cry when they pause edgeguard you.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
pk fire can stop a full charge of needles from sheik...but since Ness is too short(or Sheik is too tall) you cant hit the needles with a straight shot, so its not really as useful as it could be

but hey PK Fire is the highest priority projectile in the game destroying all destructible projectiles and surviving clashes with all indestructible projectiles

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Is a Space Animal's laser even a projectile? I think "they" just programed it to be something like Blastoise's Hydro Pump but reflectable.

You just had to close my thread. ^_^

DD151

Smash Journeyman
maybe; there's clearly a collision between firefox and pk fire but i can't tell if the fire disappears because fox's trailing flames obscure everything

i know that if you don't hit him near the end of firefox, the pk fire won't turn into a pillar of flame

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
its hard to land if fox is moving in the firefox cause the pk fire stalls thru fox's flames, but if you shoot it at him with just the right angle it will start on him....many time if you should head on if he is coming straight at you fox himself will be above the pk fire and it will work its way thru his flames only to reach no target

also, if you shoot it at him while the firefox is charging it will work its way thru the flames and hit him

kenny10

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't even try to PK Fire as an edgeguard. It's too compicated. Just stick with the sure thing cause there's a chance you'll miss and get hit during the horrible lag.

Levitas

the moon
lol, there's an anti ness thread on the yoshi boards now. Maybe we should make an anti yoshi thread...

good times

Levitas

the moon
I've also heard Ness wrecks in low tier tourneys. Mine has issues against anther (a pika) but his pika is just too sexy. Ever see it? I mean it does crazy ledge games, camps under battlefield with uair, and stuff. What should a Ness do to a face too beautiful to wreck?

More literally, what's the pika ness matchup look like in terms of strategy?

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
i'd like to fight anther one day...his upB use makes me happy
yeah, I'm working on becoming an Anther Jr. of sorts with upB [I'm also a Pika main, haha I just pulled off his Battlefield combo on a Fox on saturday, pretty gratifying ^_^]. Just yesterday I started using Ness against the only other Pika main I know and he gimped the dog**** out of me the first match. Two of my deaths were at 20%, but I comboed him something fierce.

Since I don't know too much I'll say this:
whatever you do, DO NOT stay above him. You will undoubtedly get uaired and potentially juggled/spiked

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Playing pika is so much fun. I might pick him up in brawl if he still has his uair spike. Also, how do yoshis play? I know they egg spam a lot, but I've never played a yoshi before... It's like the only character I've never seen at a tournament. I've only been to like 5 or 6 but still... How does Ness fight a yoshi? And please don't just send me the mofo vs. cort video.

Doesn't Ness have problems with Luigi and G&W too? I've played a really good G&W before and it's so weird. He kills you so easily with d-tilt to nair >.<

GildedPunch

Smash Ace
Playing pika is so much fun. I might pick him up in brawl if he still has his uair spike. Also, how do yoshis play? I know they egg spam a lot, but I've never played a yoshi before... It's like the only character I've never seen at a tournament. I've only been to like 5 or 6 but still... How does Ness fight a yoshi? And please don't just send me the mofo vs. cort video.

Doesn't Ness have problems with Luigi and G&W too? I've played a really good G&W before and it's so weird. He kills you so easily with d-tilt to nair >.<
http://youtube.com/watch?v=14feJCzmpq4

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CLJnlK5V52Y

Top Bottom