• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Player looking to try some competitive Smash.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, my name's Dan (otherwise known as Tomato, an internet name I've been using since I was 8 and never really got around to changing and use out of habit now) and I'm from Long Island, NY.

I've been playing as Ness since the Smash 64 days, although I never really delved into competitive play. And as time goes on and technology advances, and being that I've been playing a video game for 2/3 of my life make me think it's time I tried competitive Smash.

However, my concept of competitive Smash is foggy. I never really played with anyone outside of my friends or family, and really never used any particular strategy or set of moves. I always just felt the match out and countered whatever my opponent was doing. So on a casual level, I like to think I'm good. But casual good probably doesn't translate to competitive good.

So I'm here to ask what is a good way to practice and compete in the competitive sphere of Smash, since I find it pretty interesting, and would like to rep a character like Ness, who goes unseen it would appear for the most part.

As a side note, besides Ness, I was big on Luigi, Ice Climbers & Young Link in Melee, and in Brawl I also like to use Yoshi, Diddy, Kirby, Pit & Luigi.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

Levitas

the moon
read the stickies, lurk, ask questions, and go to the regional boards if you're interested in giving tournament play a spin. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Welcome to the ness boards :p

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Hi there! I'm Yink, the moderator of this board. Levitas is pretty right on target with everything already.

Don't be afraid to ask us anything in the general discussion thread, we're pretty cool. Here's the link to it if you need anything else. -> http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=209918

If you need me for anything, just contact me on AIM, Skype or on here. Welcome :)

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
Thanks guys, I appreciate the welcome. I'm glad I'm not the only person who plays Ness. :laugh:

I'm going up to Buffalo, NY for college in the fall, so I may be able to delve into the Smash scene there if time allows, which I hope it does. I played online for a little bit a while ago, but the combo of getting swept & awful lag deterred me from it, but I think I want to get back into playing Smash again.

I'll be sure to study up & practice so I can rep Ness well. :D

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Hi, I'm the moderator of the Lucas boards and pop in the Ness boards a lot.
Try to get friendlies as much as possible and meet new people. Make sure to watch youtube videos too, they can help a lot.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Thanks guys, I appreciate the welcome. I'm glad I'm not the only person who plays Ness. :laugh:

I'm going up to Buffalo, NY for college in the fall, so I may be able to delve into the Smash scene there if time allows, which I hope it does. I played online for a little bit a while ago, but the combo of getting swept & awful lag deterred me from it, but I think I want to get back into playing Smash again.

You'll do us proud, all of our Ness mains do. Just try your hardest, learn to be patient and learn some match-ups.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
Thank you, I will surely try to. :)

As far as matchups go, my least favorite match-up is against Zero Suit Samus. Her speed & range make her difficult to attack in my opinion. Ike & Dedede are two others I'm not particularly comfortable with. And I just hate Snake. Bah.

Meccs

@Meccs_
and learn some match-ups.
This.
But most importantly, imo, go to tourneys. My game always improves after a tourney, because first-hand experience is the best. And if you're like me and everyone you hang out with isn't on par with you, get there early for lotsa friendlies.
and welcome to the Ness boards :)

Uffe

Smash Hero
Hello, my name is Uffe (Oofay). Are you the same Tomato from Starmen.net?

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
No, someone asked me about that before actually, years ago. I should probably adopt a new name, but I'm way too lazy to change it :laugh:

And thanks guys, I need to get some practice in. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
No, someone asked me about that before actually, years ago. I should probably adopt a new name, but I'm way too lazy to change it :laugh:

And thanks guys, I need to get some practice in. Thanks for the warm welcome.
HEY TAKUN!!!

FLCL is awesome! I have the 6 episodes... XD

WILLKOMMEN!!! WIR SIND SEHR FREUNDLICH!

EDIT: why did I quote that?

1337-Zero

Smash Ace

ALRIGHT!!! Another NY Ness main!!!! Now there's like, 3!!!

Okay, The Buffalo kids are all pretty good, but I highly suggest you check the Rochester region 'cause there are a LOT of great players there (Snakeee, Pikapika, San, etc. they're all around that area.)
If you don't mind traveling a bit, we do fairly consistent small smash events down here in Syracuse. We also have tournaments from time to time.

Wow, first 13Mako and now Tomato. I'm mad hyped for this. Also keep yo name 'cuz Tomato Adventure is an awesome game.

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
Eagleye, Haha yeah, FLCL is a great show, I love watching an episode from time to time.

1337-Zero, Syracuse is like 2 hours from Buffalo. If & when I get a car up in Buffalo, I may be able to go. Although it's a bit far to just go play Smash Bros. Rochester seems like a much more reasonable spot for me to go, since it's half as far from where I'll be staying in Buffalo. Although chances are my Smashing probably won't leave Buffalo, I'll find my way to some events there for sure, if I stick with Smash.

So yeah, make the events in Buffalo & you'll see me there :p But thanks for the welcome & the head's up.

_clinton

Smash Master
This is the 1st thing I thought of before going into this topic as well.
:laugh:

Anyway, I'm up for friendlies all the time as well.

1337-Zero

Smash Ace
1337-Zero, Syracuse is like 2 hours from Buffalo. If & when I get a car up in Buffalo, I may be able to go. Although it's a bit far to just go play Smash Bros. Rochester seems like a much more reasonable spot for me to go, since it's half as far from where I'll be staying in Buffalo.

So yeah, make the events in Buffalo & you'll see me there :p But thanks for the welcome & the head's up.
Yeah, it's a bit of a journey to go to SU, but we got some good players here. If you visit Rochester from time to time you'll be good though.

If they do ATOB 3 (or is it 4 now?) I'll come by and see ya (And probably win unless Roch kids show up).

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
No idea, I've never even heard of the tournament, but if it's near Buffalo I can probably show up. Any idea when it would be?

Top Bottom