• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Mains Almost Extinct?

Jono

Smash Apprentice
my hands actually really hurt after playing Ness for a few hours as compared to Falco/Fox.

indie_dave

Smash Ace
on techskill --

i consistently lose to another nesser who prefers a slower, zoney game. i move around and combo what seems like twice more than he does. he likes to walk around slowly and be confident in his precision with offstage nair/bair edgeguards, sweetspot bats, dash attack, and pkthunder self-tailwhipping during recovery. these are major elements of his game that help him win, and my advice would be play like that not spastic like how i do.

"there's two types of rangers: strong ones and smart ones" LOL

Jono

Smash Apprentice
you cant really do that against higher tiers

in the end its just poor spacing

my current skill wall is spacing actually

Spekkio Master of War

Smash Cadet
well it depends on how u play ness. You can play him with lower tech skill but certain things like DJC Bairs, Uairs, and comboing FFers can be pretty technical. Also he WDs a lot more than your average character and u want to do the perfect angle to maximize his distance. Speaking of which I noticed that ness has good tools for spacing falco, a good WD OOS, DJC over lasers, and Uair OOS can work sometimes at close range.

I do certainly consider him to be more technical on average than fox unless ur trying to play an overly flashy/technical fox.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
You'd be surprised how surprised high tier players are when you surprise them with the bat's surprisingly far surprise range.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Especially when you edgeguard. It's more disjointed that Marth's f-smash, but it's still a much worse move lol.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Low knockback isn't necessarily a bad thing, you can actually tech-chase spacies with that thing. They can't do anything but roll away.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
i consistently lose to another nesser who prefers a slower, zoney game. he likes to walk around slowly and be confident in his precision with offstage nair/bair edgeguards, sweetspot bats, dash attack, and pkthunder self-tailwhipping during recovery.
This is what's up^^

I said something similar on this thread; being familiar with ness on the ledge. If you know you can move around off-stage and not die(without using upB), you can get a lot more confident in those edge guards / gimps. Simple things like being able to space the electric hitbox of the bair off-stage consistently can mean a lot.. nair owns too.

I just got for whatever I think is guaranteed with ness / I try to catch my opponent off guard with him. Recently I got to play a few people from my state, was doing a bunch of ganon/ness v falco/peach teams. We were dominating... there was one instance where ganon knocked falco a little offstage, then I SH dair spiked him mid-fantasm half way to the ledge. Peach was floating a little out from me so I used my 2nd jump to go farther out and barely caught her with a 2nd dair spike trading hits w/ a nair. loool ness is too good.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
What do you guys think of runaway up-smash as a substitute for dash dance grab? Ness's grab range is crappy, and if they shield our REVERSE up-smash hitbox, they actually have less frame advantage than if they shield one of our tilts. CRAZY I KNOW.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'd rather WD or pivot into a bat. I feel like you'd have to usmash so early that no one would follow you that closely for that long.

SleepyOwl

Smash Rookie
How is instant DJC hard? for me it's super easy

what other tech skill is there besides DJC that is worth knowing?

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Ness exclusive things? Dair and Nair autocancel before the hitbox comes out. WD is a pretty important part of Ness' game and PKT is a VERY versatile projectile. You'll learn to love it once you start doing things like ****** spacies with the tail. DJC can do a lot of things, don't overlook it just because it's easy.

In other News, I just got Pokemon Black and named my Trainer Ness for Earthbound nostalgia ^_^

Jono

Smash Apprentice
How is instant DJC hard? for me it's super easy

what other tech skill is there besides DJC that is worth knowing?
overall spacing vs higher tiers, always hitting PKT, overall combo game (it can get strict)

Massive

Smash Champion
Ness exclusive things? Dair and Nair autocancel before the hitbox comes out. WD is a pretty important part of Ness' game and PKT is a VERY versatile projectile. You'll learn to love it once you start doing things like ****** spacies with the tail.
I'd say its more useful for stopping return momentum than anything. Hitting someone with the head of PK thunder on the back will cause them to fly backwards or at least stop their moment completely if they DI it. This works fantastically on characters like Marth who have limited horizontal mobility.

However, I would say that if you have enough time to toss out a PK thunder to attempt a tail whip a spacie, they're likely far enough from the side that you would be better served with a traditional ledgeguard (trade a nair, specifically).

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Ledge cancelling PK Fire. If you perfect that, get back to me. lol
How does that work? PK Fire then land?

However, I would say that if you have enough time to toss out a PK thunder to attempt a tail whip a spacie, they're likely far enough from the side that you would be better served with a traditional ledgeguard (trade a nair, specifically).
That was just an example anyways but I do find it safer, and a lot cooler looking.

SleepyOwl

Smash Rookie
I can't find anything on ledge canceling Pk fire, can you link me?

What is the point of tail whipping?

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
I hope we see some really good Ness action like with Simna ibn Sind again. It'll at least be a nice break watching them in between all these constant Fox/Falco/Sheik/Marth matches.

Jono

Smash Apprentice
I can't find anything on ledge canceling Pk fire, can you link me?

What is the point of tail whipping?
1. decent gimp
2. more damage than if you hit with just the head
3. mindgames

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
Dude have you looked up Mofo? while he usually switches to Fox in counter picks his Ness is epic, I hear he got off a Thunder Jacket on Has.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
This is a pretty old thread, but still they will always be almost extinct. Right now the only active ones I know of are the two of you, Mofo, Simna, and myself.

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
I play Ness on the side. Fun character to mess around with and it feels satisfying as hell to beat someone with him

vrud

Smash Apprentice
Ledge cancelling PK Fire. If you perfect that, get back to me. lol

A little late to the party xD but i have pretty much learned to ledge cancel pk fires very consistently. Not only is it pretty good for shutting down some approaches and good combo starter but it will impress all of your friends o: Some ledges are easier to do it on than others i find like PKS, FoD and dreamland if the wind is being all windy >.>, yoshis is ok but you probably dont want to be doing that in such a smal space or you will get punished, battlefield ledges are longer than the others so i find it to be the most difficult to do it on. Its actually pretty easy to ledge cancel Pk fires once you get it down your first time. To practice i would wd off a ledge djc pk fire in the other direction. I suck at explaining and i dont have a video of me doing it a bunch but i did it once in the montreal vs no johns crew battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oC8VseuEnw (hopefully that time stamp worked if it doesnt its at ~32:30).

vrud

Smash Apprentice
A little late to the party xD but i have pretty much learned to ledge cancel pk fires very consistently. Not only is it pretty good for shutting down some approaches and good combo starter but it will impress all of your friends o: Some ledges are easier to do it on than others i find like PKS, FoD and dreamland if the wind is being all windy >.>, yoshis is ok but you probably dont want to be doing that in such a smal space or you will get punished, battlefield ledges are longer than the others so i find it to be the most difficult to do it on. Its actually pretty easy to ledge cancel Pk fires once you get it down your first time. To practice i would wd off a ledge djc pk fire in the other direction. I suck at explaining and i dont have a video of me doing it a bunch but i did it once in the montreal vs no johns crew battle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oC8VseuEnw (hopefully that time stamp worked if it doesnt its at ~32:30 sadly i mess it up a bunch that game xD).

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
I honestly enjoyed watching you, feel you could've brought the marth down to at least one stock had you gone for a fair instead of flash, save flash for when they are going to have to up b to live, i.e. sweet spot or below without a double jump

Fabioisonfire

Smash Rookie
I've been narrowing down the roster to a true main for a while now and although Ness is placed in a very low tier, that doesn't stop me from having a ton of fun with him. There are so many uses for that double jump cancel, I've been grabbing inspiration from how players like aMsA and Armada use it on their characters and have been trying to incorporate it into Ness' gameplay. Surfing the platforms with that double jump cancel into an airdodge gives you some interesting movement options.

A question: what is Ness' ideal spacing? Are you trying to get in on the opponent, or keep them in the 'bubble' of disjointed hitboxes (i.e. fair)?

vrud

Smash Apprentice
I honestly enjoyed watching you, feel you could've brought the marth down to at least one stock had you gone for a fair instead of flash, save flash for when they are going to have to up b to live, i.e. sweet spot or below without a double jump

Tbh, no johns or anything but i was playing kinda flashy (no pun intended lol) because it was my first time on a popular stream but yea if i went for a conventional edge guard I think I would've taken that stock. As for the spacing question i think it really depends on what character you are playing against or at least what type of character. I tend to play "safer" more distant against floaties than spacies because it is harder to combo floaties so i just do hit and runs mostly.

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
Tbh, no johns or anything but i was playing kinda flashy (no pun intended lol) because it was my first time on a popular stream but yea if i went for a conventional edge guard I think I would've taken that stock. As for the spacing question i think it really depends on what character you are playing against or at least what type of character. I tend to play "safer" more distant against floaties than spacies because it is harder to combo floaties so i just do hit and runs mostly.
But anyways good work reppin the Bumblebee master race, hope to see you in more tourneys soon, I just took 17th out of 41 or 42 entrants in the Melee tourney Saturday, regional with Jiano returning.

Dubforce

Smash Sidius
I'm a PM player transitioning to melee (in conjunction with PM), and I'm officially a ness main. Ready to bring the low-tier revolution.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
I'll be at Apex does that make me not dead or am I Undead because I'm back from the dead?

vrud

Smash Apprentice
I'll be at Apex does that make me not dead or am I Undead because I'm back from the dead?

Nice! So how many ness mains are going to APEX? Ref and I confirmed. Lets see if we can get 8 ness' to come then we'll have enough for a crew and we can MM east and west crews Kappa.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
I'm a PM player transitioning to melee (in conjunction with PM), and I'm officially a ness main. Ready to bring the low-tier revolution.
Basically what this guy said. I main Falcon in Melee and second Ness but I'm thinking of dropping Falcon for the most part. I just have SO much fun with Ness. It's my dream to get good.

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
Hello, I've been a Ness main at heart since Smash 64, choosing Ness for all my years as a casual. When I started competitive earlier this year, I initially chose Peach. However, now that I feel at least a little confident in my skills, I have switched back to Ness and I'm working on building matchup knowledge and flashy DJC gimmicks. Ness is best!

Top Bottom