• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness Mains Almost Extinct?

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I've noticed that there's been no real Ness videos since about 08, and that its really inactive here. Who still mains Ness?

Jono

Smash Apprentice
almost impossible to main ness without having another character to support to the point that you second ness

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I would main Ness if I got significantly (like, really significantly) better with him. I'm trying to, of course.

Unfortunately, once you get a taste of the high tiers, it's hard to avoid using them in tournament. Anyway, we'll see. I really really enjoy playing Ness.

Spekkio Master of War

Smash Cadet
I plan on gettin out of pools and then as far as I can with just ness at the next tourney I go to. Probably gonna be smashing grounds in chicago.

I claim myself to be the best ness in the midwest cuz it sounds so awesome

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
I plan on gettin out of pools and then as far as I can with just ness at the next tourney I go to. Probably gonna be smashing grounds in chicago.

I claim myself to be the best ness in the midwest cuz it sounds so awesome
Heh, and I thought I was pushing it when I claimed to be the best Ness main in Washington state. Because there are no other Ness mains here.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Ness is very hard to use. You have to work with him every single day like what Taj did for Mewtwo. Low teirs takes a lot of practice.

Jono

Smash Apprentice
pretty much
ness' playstyle is so damn button mashy (DjCs + wavedashes), that it's pretty cool once you play him enough

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Lately I've decided that spaced fair is Ness' safest option at all times. But it has low reward if you don't commit to landing it. Maybe a dash attack can gimmickly work if you do it after a retreating fair, just to catch people off guard. But dair has a much greater reward (can't be CC'd) especially against the non-floaties. Right now, I'm just going to try to find more creative and practical ways to land dairs.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
oh yeah, absolutely. Spaced fair is his best option overall, and ya gotta keep doing it all game. Creative ways to nail dairs, and especially tech chases with the electric ***(bair) are very cool too. Edgeguarding is crucial with ness too, as in being able to work with his jumping limits off the ledge(and dropping off) / aerial without having to upB. some situations uair can break ness out of a combo better than say nair, as well... his tilts own too. it's hilarious how dtilt spam(it comes out so damn quick) can benefit you in some match-ups, lol. uptilt is great, I think i under-use his ftilt.. not as useful, but I'm sure i miss the few opportunities when it actually can have a use.

most of that was random, i'm mostly used to playing ganon/luigi w/ ness.

Spekkio Master of War

Smash Cadet
the only time Ive found Dair to be usable is full hopped when the opponent is on a platform or DJCd after a full hop Fair if they stay on the ground its pretty safe on shield tho just auto cancel Dair> Utilt. I personally think that Bair is his best move. sometimes I opt to use Bair over Fair because u dont have to worry as much about CCs.

The MW isn't as easy as ppl think lol. Theirs some great players down here.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
I just try to do the basics proficiently with ness(tech skill when 'necessary')... edgeguarding..

If I don't think they're going to sweetspot the ledge then there's a good chance dtilt will be applicable. This initial dtilt hit will possibly lead to another poor attempt to sweetspot(likely even a little worse if the dtilt wasn't expected), then fsmash would come to mind. It's all really circumstantial... just last night I killed a Ganon with an fair edgeguard to edgehog(sub-par DI / not expecting the fair + barely getting to the ledge in time). Reaction... I didn't assume that the fair would have done it initially, ya know? Bair, a great edgeguard as well.. whether it be weak bair's to an edgehog or a nice electric ***(bair). Very useful if you're really comfortable on the ledge... I never try to let myself get off stage / having to use upB... can happen a lot if you don't put forth the effort not to. I also, on occasion, use the dair spike as an edgeguard. That is, if they're very close, and I can do it in my first jump. Still can be somewhat of a risk, but otherwise it's a BIG risk.

The dair is an excellent tech chase in certain situations... Like, after a tech chase or 2 with the electric ***, I would throw a dair in there predicting they would DI it up(or something like that). Which would be likely to lead to another hit in a lot of situations.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Fair is actually a fairly committal move IMO. I suck at using it though. =/

I actually have competition for best Ness in my state. Mow and Toasty live here lol.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
i am the only person who has dedicated any time to ness in my state(i think) haha... cool that there's several in VA. my bro has played toasty a good deal. he was working in the sova area for a few months, he said he could do some pretty cool things w/ ness.

I spam the hell out of fair defensively.. just trying to be annoying with it I guess. then more opportunities that aren't as committal seem to come up along the way.

Massive

Smash Champion
Fair is actually a fairly committal move IMO.
Bad pun is bad.
Fair is a long lasting move, that's for sure, but as long as you don't wiff completely it's very, very difficult to punish.

There are a lot of dudes in Missouri and Kansas (STL, KC, and Lawrence) that can play Ness quite well.
The biggest issue is that in order to play Ness well you have to be able to use and understand pretty much every other character, and at that point you can almost definitely main a non-handicapped character, so why bother maining Ness?

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I been hit out of fair after I've hit with it due to it's low hitstun. It's also easy to cc.

I did not intend that to be a pun though lol.

Samba

Smash Apprentice
Ness is bad.
That isn't an excuse, it's a reason.

Lately I've decided that spaced fair is Ness' safest option at all times. But it has low reward if you don't commit to landing it. Maybe a dash attack can gimmickly work if you do it after a retreating fair, just to catch people off guard. But dair has a much greater reward (can't be CC'd) especially against the non-floaties. Right now, I'm just going to try to find more creative and practical ways to land dairs.
General approval.

Samba

Smash Apprentice
I know what you mean... Over the ten years I've been playing Melee I've mained so many characters. But I too always preferred the lower tier characters. Ness is just the latest, as I'm sure most of you can say.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
The only low tiers I really screw around with are Luigi (flying around with WD lol) and Roy. I originally used Marth when I started playing competitively, then switched over to Falcon because I found him more fun to use. Now I'm trying to use Ness as my main and be a dedicated low tier person. Ness was my main before switching over to Brawl and back and I had lots of good times using him. I see a lot of potential with Ness but sadly, he's a really neglected character. You know how less people care when Project M Ness is being modeled off of Smash 64 :(

Jono

Smash Apprentice
The only low tiers I really screw around with are Luigi (flying around with WD lol) and Roy. I originally used Marth when I started playing competitively, then switched over to Falcon because I found him more fun to use. Now I'm trying to use Ness as my main and be a dedicated low tier person. Ness was my main before switching over to Brawl and back and I had lots of good times using him. I see a lot of potential with Ness but sadly, he's a really neglected character. You know how less people care when Project M Ness is being modeled off of Smash 64 :(
not really neglected lol

just really ****ing hard to play

you have to be ridiculously good to fare against a higher tier of similar experience with this character

Samba

Smash Apprentice
Another thing I think that makes low tier characters low, Ness especially. Because you have to be so much more technically skilled to play them as well as so many other characters... Makes you think about how much undiscovered stuff there still is with the characters NOBODY ever really plays.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
ness has a lot of potential. I like ness cause i mained him on 64 as a child but he put on too much wait in Melee. too much fat cakes.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Another thing I think that makes low tier characters low, Ness especially. Because you have to be so much more technically skilled to play them as well as so many other characters... Makes you think about how much undiscovered stuff there still is with the characters NOBODY ever really plays.
That's what I love about them. If only someone were to practice YYG like a Fox main practices waveshining, that would be awesome.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
The difficulty of pulling off a majority of Ness' techniques consistently is much harder than waveshining. I can waveshine on good days and I don't even play/practice Fox. It's just wavedash shine wavedash etc. I guess you also need to know which characters it's feasible on.

Yyg glitch requires timing, knowledge of terrain, knowledge of whether you have to renew your hitbox after pulling it off, the different spacing for each character/percentage, being able to use the dropped hitbox efficiently (ie you have to make sure that your opponent will not run into it, you can get your opponent in between you and the dropped hitbox, or you can equip a spike jacket from it). It's much harder than waveshining.

My plan right now is to get decent at using Peach and then picking up Ness and figuring out how to use him at very high levels of play.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Ness isn't good for combos.

But he is good for the kill like his bthrow.

His nair is just like peach but weaker. You can use it for follow ups.

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
you have to be able to read your opponent well if you want his combos/tech chases to work well. I abuse the hell out of fair, it's his best move; best/easiest thing for spacing, and his easiest, although not 'best' prob., tech-chase option. a mixture of aggressive/defensive spacing with the fair can own... you just have to know what you can do with it and be confident, because rest assured your opponent will be trying to whatever they can to outspace you. These spacing opportunities i'm talking about(example: 3-4+ consecutive fair hits)... you'll win some of them by just a few frames. Making that call that you'll continue to BARELY outspace your opponent w/ the fair is crucial, for me anyway. A lot of top chars have an easy MU v. ness, and proper fair pressure is what gives me a little control to the situation. As in, I know what my opponent is doing more, and I get him to tech more.

Jono

Smash Apprentice
ness does not need much tech skill.. At all.
excuse me, are you playing brawl?

i heard ness got really good there because he doesn't need much tech skill

i was on youtube the other day and i keep seeing ness players easing meta knights

Dorsey

Banned via Warnings
I beg to freaking differ. He needs an incredible amount of tech skill for precise aerialing quickly.

If you think otherwise, you must not be using Ness at a high level.. at all.
Well, yeah it takes precision... but I seriously wasn't considering that tech skill. being super familiar his physics with spacing, along with djcanceling/the path of his 2nd jump/the hitboxes of aerials in that familiarization...... uhhh I guess a little bit techy, but that is habitual to me. I just say 'spacing' :> I don't think anyone really plays ness at a high level either, just kind of flirt with the borderline... just throwing that out there. I know i do at least ok with him, but I don't have much MU experience.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I think Ness takes a lot of tech skill to pla. =/

Also I suck at using fair. I should use it more.

Top Bottom