• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness, Lucario, Jigglypuff essentially confirmed

Randofu

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure someone has probably mentioned this, but I'll say it in case no one else has.

The heads are still in the video on the wii.com site. You can only see them if you pause, though. I agree, it's extremely strange. If you watch the video, there are no heads, but when you pause you can in fact see them.

I don't really have a good explanation of this, but I suspect it has something to do with the fact that it's a Flash video and the mechanism they used to hide the heads once they realized that it was leaked. Maybe someone who knows more about Flash videos could answer this? Are there Flash decompilers? :)

Barstool

Smash Cadet
NNID
Arispect
Ness having new special attacks makes perfect sense. In Earthbound he didn't have PSI Fire and Thunder, Paula did. I'm hoping they update him with the correct attacks.

Sinistar

Smash Journeyman
I'm still telling you Ness clone thinkers; Ness is probally getting a huge special moveset change.

We've already seen that Lucas' normal attacks are not at all the same to Ness.

Cless

Smash Champion
Yes, but why wouldn't they just give new specials to Lucas too. He has the same moves as Ness in the game. Why change an already established character?

EPX2

Smash Ace
Jesus Christ, you'd think that after everything that's happened, people would be a hell of a lot more cautious in making all of these absolute conclusions. But no, we *still* have people insisting that Mewtwo is out of the game. Give it a rest, goodness.

omiz144

Smash Apprentice
This is all very exciting. Lucario has been a heavilyrequested character, and honestly, we all knew Ness was returning. Thre were nay-sayers, but you can't remove a character that started the series. Same with Jigglypuff.

It mkes sense for Lucario to replace Mewtwo, but their movesets are surely very different. I could see Mewtwo in as well. But...wow too many pokemon reps. Is this an inkling of how many characters there will be?

We already have 6 Pokemon movesets now, meaning Zelda is assured at least 6. Link, Zelda, Shiek Ganondorf, and... wow.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
I'm sure someone has probably mentioned this, but I'll say it in case no one else has.

The heads are still in the video on the wii.com site. You can only see them if you pause, though. I agree, it's extremely strange. If you watch the video, there are no heads, but when you pause you can in fact see them.

I don't really have a good explanation of this, but I suspect it has something to do with the fact that it's a Flash video and the mechanism they used to hide the heads once they realized that it was leaked. Maybe someone who knows more about Flash videos could answer this? Are there Flash decompilers? :)
Well some things don't stop even when you pause the movie(symbols with animations inside for example), but I don't think that's the case as it would loop and end up covering it at some point. I think Nintendo's not that lazy and also a white stripe doesn't actually contain an animation...
I'm not sure what you mean by decompiler, so I can't help you there, but flash videos work differently than flash animations, you can actually just stream a video with a flash player(it's done automatically and is hosted directly on the server) or embed it in the file which let's you combine video with animations(but increases the file size by a lot).

Hitzel

Smash Ace
We already have 6 Pokemon movesets now, meaning Zelda is assured at least 6. Link, Zelda, Shiek Ganondorf, and... wow.
Not really. Pokemon has 4 reps because it's that popular. This doesn't guarantee 6 Zelda reps in any way.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
You guys are really friggin' pathetic.

I give up. You are morons.

Simple as that.

"NESS WILL B CLONE." "MEWTWO IZ DISCUNFURMED."

Absolutely ********. Horrendously ********. I can't stomach it anymore.

Lucina Clash

Smash Apprentice
Welcome back, Ness. Hopefully Sakurai-san gave you power.

Wow, I thought Sakurai was tricky. "Up until now"? Up until now we were abiding alongside "up until now" because that means only "up until this time now"... Sakurai, your mindgames are intense !

Sonovin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonovin
3DS FC
2466-3203-5587
lol, so it seems they failed to edit ALL the frames in that video.

=]

Acedaemon

Smash Rookie
hmmmm

Hey, i dont know if anyone else noticed, i didnt read all 39 pages of replys, but "Ness" looks a bit like the Pokemon Trainer... I dont wanna be a party-pooper or anything, and I like Ness, but I'm justt sayin....

Lucario and Jiggly look like they are in tho

webrunner

Smash Apprentice
Hey, i dont know if anyone else noticed, i didnt read all 39 pages of replys, but "Ness" looks a bit like the Pokemon Trainer... I dont wanna be a party-pooper or anything, and I like Ness, but I'm justt sayin....

Lucario and Jiggly look like they are in tho
Perhaps you should have read all 39 pages. I'm just sayin.

Zenigame

Smash Apprentice
For the 3,000,000th time:

The first picture has PIkachu, PT, Lucario, and Jigglypuff.

The SECOND picture has Ness & Lucas.

We KNOW THAT THAT IS PT IN THE FIRST PICTURE.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
Welcome back, Ness. Hopefully Sakurai-san gave you power.

Wow, I thought Sakurai was tricky. "Up until now"? Up until now we were abiding alongside "up until now" because that means only "up until this time now"... Sakurai, your mindgames are intense !
Sakurai, master of mindgames...

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
ZOMG! Lucario! I love that he is confirmed. Shuts up all the Anti Lucario people. I'm glad Jigglypuff is back. I wonder whats become of Mewtwo. I hope he isn't cut.

Glad to see Ness is back. Never made sense to me to axe him.

kashikomarimashita

Smash Journeyman
Sweetness! The more characters the merrier. Jigglypuff was always one of my favorite characters to use though I she was too weak to dominate with. And the news of Lucario. A new character! This should be interesting.

Brasil

Smash Cadet
I don't have the time to chug through 40-some pages now, especially since I keep getting server time-outs and such, but I just wanted to ask what, exactly, do the character icons confirm in-game, and for what purpose? Do they represent playable characters? If so, for what? SSE or versus mode?

On the Dojo it's outright stated we use stickers only for SSE and not in "standard brawls." But in SSE, it looks like we're only able to do two-player co-op, max. So why are there potentially four characters listed on one screen? If there's an upgrade "system" why not list all the characters available to upgrade? Why just list those four, presuming they are in fact available to upgrade for SSE, if they are in fact playable characters? As part of this "upgrade system' is there going to be a "select your character" trophy pool? Something doesn't quite gel there.

Further, let's suppose there's an optional set-up mode for versus that lets players upgrade their characters. How does that make sense, given the implication that stickers don't work in "standard brawls"? I'm willing to entertain a new type of Special Brawl, and think it would be pretty ****ing hardcore to have that kind of upgrade system to spice up matches...but at this point?

I dunno. I agree it demonstrates something, especially when the videos were edited such a short while after the mistake was noticed. But I think the important thing to note is not whether it confirms those characters as playable or not playable, but rather for what this means for the game itself. Because honestly, revelation of them as PCs? Not very earth-shattering.

The implications across Brawl, however? Sticker upgrades for possibly 2+ players? That's something far, far, FAR more interesting and ZOMG Earth-Shattering, when you really think about it.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
That's not necessarily true. NO ONE is debunked from this video. It only CONFIRMS Ness, Lucario, and Jigglypuff.

WeltallZero

Smash Cadet
Mmmm, this is a bit strange. I ripped the 6-min video back on Wednesday (January 16) with Replay Media Catcher, and I just got back to see it: there's no text where the sticker info is. If Nintendo did go back and change the wii.com video, it was before or on last Wednesday. However, this thread seems to suggest they just did yesterday, right?

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
I don't have the time to chug through 40-some pages now, especially since I keep getting server time-outs and such, but I just wanted to ask what, exactly, do the character icons confirm in-game, and for what purpose? Do they represent playable characters? If so, for what? SSE or versus mode?

On the Dojo it's outright stated we use stickers only for SSE and not in "standard brawls." But in SSE, it looks like we're only able to do two-player co-op, max. So why are there potentially four characters listed on one screen? If there's an upgrade "system" why not list all the characters available to upgrade? Why just list those four, presuming they are in fact available to upgrade for SSE, if they are in fact playable characters? As part of this "upgrade system' is there going to be a "select your character" trophy pool? Something doesn't quite gel there.

Further, let's suppose there's an optional set-up mode for versus that lets players upgrade their characters. How does that make sense, given the implication that stickers don't work in "standard brawls"? I'm willing to entertain a new type of Special Brawl, and think it would be pretty ****ing hardcore to have that kind of upgrade system to spice up matches...but at this point?

I dunno. I agree it demonstrates something, especially when the videos were edited such a short while after the mistake was noticed. But I think the important thing to note is not whether it confirms those characters as playable or not playable, but rather for what this means for the game itself. Because honestly, revelation of them as PCs? Not very earth-shattering.

The implications across Brawl, however? Sticker upgrades for possibly 2+ players? That's something far, far, FAR more interesting and ZOMG Earth-Shattering, when you really think about it.
The stickers are used to upgrade characters as you said, in the SSE. Yes, there's only two player co-op max. I think it's safe to assume that as you play the SSE, you gain the stickers. Then, to power up, you can apply them to whatever characters are available at the time, to power them up.

Certain stickers can only be used to upgrade certain characters. Granted, the majority, i assume, will be universal, but for the certain character specific ones, they put the character's icon there to show who it can be used on. Yes, it applies only to the SSE, but there's no way that Jigglypuff, Ness, and Lucario would only be playable in that mode and not in multiplayer.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
This doesn't prove anyone is out, and I'm glad due to that.
I hope pkmn gets that 5th PC so that M2 can be back.

krynny

Smash Cadet
out of the 3 chars. im happiest about jigglypuff. i rocked some jiggly in melee. cant get too happy about lucario until i see that char played.

mathos

Smash Champion
Its pokemon trainer. It makes no sense to have a sticker that affects 3 pokemon and ness?!? Nor does it make sense to have ness and lucas with the same game.

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
Mathos, PKMN Trainer is indeed in the first pic along with Lucario, Jiggs, and Pikachu. But if you look at the other picture, with the arrow on the Claus sticker, you will see Lucas and Ness in the bottom right.
Thank you.

Top Bottom