• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness in Doubles.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I just wanted to know what are some good teamates for Ness?

I've heard from Mow that he doesn't like playing Ness in doubles cuz he's too easily edgeguarded.

I've heard from other players that a Ness & Samus team rocks.

I don't really know much about Ness in doubles or how he should be played (cuz characters are definetely played different in doubles than in singles).

BTW, my new computer has enough power to edit the super guide so expect some long-needed updates shortly.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
It basically comes down to two things. Do you want a partner who supports your playstyle, or do you want a partner whose attacks will help you. If it's the previous, then it all depends on the person's playstyle and your own. Even if the pairing helps out one team, it could be horrendous for two different people(Though I suggest Peach, it works out for me often). For the second, the best I've heard of are Samus and Pichu. Samus obviously has her Full charge beam, and on a platform, Pichu can give Ness inordinate amounts of health(like 40+ at a time) though at the cost of a slight amount of its own. An interesting move is to recover off of Pichu's Thunder edgeguard, which doesn't damage it, and keeps the other opponent from interrupting your heal. Ness doesn't help Samus much though, because Samus already has a nigh-infinite recovery. And as for Pichu...well...it's effing Pichu.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
For healing purposes, Ice Climbers, Samus, Fox. If you just need someone to kill the other guys, Fox, Sheik, Marth.

In teams you'll probably be the stock holder. If your partner is someone that can heal you effectively, and your DI is good, you'll be able to stock hold for your partner well. Just be careful for the obvious reasons of easy gimp kills, which'll end your stock tanking. :(

Levitas

the moon
I like teaming with Peach. Maybe that's just because the peach I play with in doubles is good at knowing what I'm up to with Ness, and plays into my style. On the other hand, healing purposes isn't a good thing to go by all the time, as that means that you have both teamates doing moves that can be easily punished at the same time, so it might be better to take the distraction out of the game and simply play with someone who can't heal you.

EDIT: but if I go to a tourney, I still use sheik for doubles. My Ness isn't good at actually winning yet. Except for this one time.... *Babbles on for hours... Still isn't done... finally shuts up...*

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I was just wondering if Ness' game changes at all during doubles. I think he should use pk fire more and bat and djc bair more offten, but that's just me...

GildedPunch

Smash Ace
yah,
in doubles, you MUST fair spam like crazy.
Yah, his pk fire hits alot more because it's unexpected during a frenzy between two people, but the you gotta watch out for your friends too.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Yes, PK Fire is your effing best friend in doubles. As is your bat, and your dair. Nobody ever freaking blocks a dair when they're busy trying to punish your friend...and it almost never hits your friend either.

Levitas

the moon
I like waiting for peach to pop an enemy up so I can do a bair out in space to kill them. Ness has a better edgeguarding game in doubles because the bat is so directional, he doesn't need to worry about his teammate as much as, say, marth.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I dunno much about ness in teams.

From what little experience i've had with it, I personally dont like it. My problem is, since i dont main ness, i'm not used to working in small spaces, and i find myself tripping over my partner all the time.

If you want some real advice about it, ask angrylobster or thebettaplayer. I know AL uses ness in doubles often, and if i remember right, both of them did dual ness @ LTEC2. >.>

Levitas

the moon
lol, two nesses off the stage anywhere as long as they're close enough to each other and know what they're doing can recover from anywhere. The opponent's would be like "Hey you're hitting the wrong Ness... Ohh." Of course it's pretty difficult to have one ness get hit with his PkT moving at the other Ness at the right angle, but how funny would that be to watch?

Bubbleman_Nsider

Smash Ace
NNID
Bubbleman
3DS FC
1075-0749-7452
My brother and I play Marth and Ness in teams. We went to a tournament some weeks ago with that character combination. In a certain aspect, it works, since Ness can PK Thunder Marth for more recovery opportunities, or just spam Pk Thunders.

Another combination, Fox and Ness, this one is really simple. Just PSI Magnet + Blaster.

I haven't tried many combinations, but those are the ones I've used on tournaments and they've worked quite well.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Nice sig, Bubbleman. And yeah, that's what we're talking about. Ness works good with people who have bad recoveries or can heal, in general. It just depends on your playstyle a lot of the time. And like I said, for some reason, Peach works. Wierdest **** thing.

Levitas

the moon
South Haven, you're almost pseudo sort of close to where I live. You should come to the U of M Biweeklies, the tread is in the regional boards.

Ironic that someone in MI pops up right after I complain about no-one being around, lol.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
I'll tell you one thing you should never do with Ness in doubles. Team with a Bowser you've never practiced with before and enter Super Champ Combo.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Holy ****. I just found out how good a partner Samus can be. A Ness Samus team was used against me today (I was in a double Ness team) and Samus and Ness *****. Ness just pushes opponents away while Samus charges. It's so easy to heal with her charge shot it's not even funny. It's really hard to punish too...

Ademisk

Smash Champion
I want a Samus partner......wait...I know a Samus. Joy!

Could you possibly expand on their teamwork Sage? What do you mean by 'push away' and 'charge'? Some specific strategies would be best. Just as much as you can, really.

mephisto-

Smash Rookie
team partners i find that work good with ness, that ive found out from weeklies is samus, doc, fox,falcon, ganon, jigglypuff, and mewtwo(yes, we played pretty well for a low tier team)

TheGeneral

Smash Journeyman
How is Kirby and Ness for a low tier team? My friend and I were messing around with combinations the other day and we liked the way that team worked.

Does anyone have any experience with this team?

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I want a Samus partner......wait...I know a Samus. Joy!

Could you possibly expand on their teamwork Sage? What do you mean by 'push away' and 'charge'? Some specific strategies would be best. Just as much as you can, really.
Ness would spam fair so you can't approach and Samus would charge her nb whenever she had an opening. Then whenever Ness was free he would down-b and samus would fire her charge shot healing Ness. It's really hard to fight against if they have good enough teamwork.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
in a team ness would be the one who'd have to keep up the pace on the ground and control the spacing of the match with fair and dash attack. He would have to know how to isolate one player with these two moves. Because ness is very agile he'd be the one that would have to keep the pace and try to out speed everyone on the field. However he loses this speed in the air so he would need someone who could control the sky pretty well. He also might want to have someone who can heal him pretty easily. And since ness's recovery can easily be gimped he needs someone who can survive or someone who can save ness pretty easily.

Samus would be okay because of his missiles which ness can crouch and his ability to heal ness pretty well with his charge shot.(ness probably would be able to keep stocks easier like this and the focus of this team can prett much be survivability) Samus also has a good survivability rate and is comfortable off the stage with his floatiness and bombjumping, His priority in the air is also pretty good which would allow him to control skies.

Jiggs is also pretty good because of her very good air game, she also survives surprisingly well with good DI. She can save ness sometimes and her value is doubled in teams cuz the risk of rest is lower since ness can ht her out of it easily. Shes one of the best characters in the air so she can stick primarily to that while ness speeds along the ground. He wop is a very good asset cuz it also works very well and keeping spacing in a teams match. He only downfall is that she can't heal ness.

Fox probably my favorite to team with ness. He is one of the few characters that are more agile on the ground as ness is so he can easily control the floors. Ness and fox could work in many ways. Fox sticking the ground while ness fulljump fairing. or fox could keep a little more defensive and laser camp while ness deals with keeping the pace on the ground. Ness can utilt, uthrow, dash attack, stomp, or djc uair ppl into the air when fox can come in with easy uairs. Ness's up can also save fox at times with high risk however. Fox can heal ness pretty well with the blaster, he also can come in with quick and decisive shine or usmash kills.

i dunno...

cool 300th post

Top Bottom