• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness haters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meccs

@Meccs_
Only thing I dont like about Dsmash is the weak hit because you'll get punished hard if thats what decides to hit. KOing people by rolling onto the stage and then using it as they try to chase you is hilarious.

Last edited:

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
Any player complaining about Ness' back throw clearly slept on Ness in every other Smash. That thing has always been good.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
So what do you guys like better. Rage quitters (mid-battle disconnect), or people that verbalize their hatred of you kicking their ass? Rage quitters are funny once in a while but I got like 4 in like an hour, and it gets kind of annoying especially when you finally get a good connection going. I like the verbalizers better I think, because I can talk back to them.

Last edited:

Uffe

Smash Hero
If I had to choose from those options, I'd rather go with rage quitters. I fought a Shulk earlier today and I could tell he was being smug because after he took my first stock, he walked to the right of the stage and just ducked. I lost that match for some reason. Second game, I two stocked the guy and just as we were on the third match, he disconnected. On the Wii U, I haven't gotten any hate. Even if I did, I'd most likely just laugh.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Rage names because I can tell they're mad. Sometimes I can't even tell if they ragequit, or DCed, or just are playing as dumb as a level 1 CPU.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
For Ness Buffs, I would like his Brawl Dair back, a Project M PK flash, a PSI magnet that stalls momentum in the air, a less weird hitbox in Dsmash making the move hit consistently, a 100% trip chance when hitting someone with Dtilt and less ending lag on Ftilt.

Last edited:

Earthboundy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Earthboundy
3DS FC
0173-1290-2436
For Ness Buffs, I would like is Brawl Dair back, a Project M PK flash, a PSI magnet that stalls momentum in the air, a less weird hitbox in Dsmash making the move hit consistently, a 100% trip chance when hitting someone with Dtilt and less ending lag on Ftilt.
That would basically make him god tier. XD

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
For Ness Buffs, I would like is Brawl Dair back, a Project M PK flash, a PSI magnet that stalls momentum in the air, a less weird hitbox in Dsmash making the move hit consistently, a 100% trip chance when hitting someone with Dtilt and less ending lag on Ftilt.
If you fast fall and then use PSI magnet it will stall your fall, assuming that's what you mean.

rosetta_stoned

Smash Apprentice
I'll try to keep this short but i'm about to discuss something that really irritates me in FG and not alot of other stuff does so forgive me if I drag on a bit.

I play ALOT of characters on FG but ness has always had a special place in my heart since smash 64 and this game he is my bread and buttah, my black stallion, my.. you get my drift. The point im trying to make is other than diddy - which usually just results in them leaving afterwords, i presume due to the stigma that unfortunately surrounds this character - ness seems to get the most flak.

Now maybe I'm reading to much into this as the communication in this game is horrible/ non existent and MAYBE im sure some of them enjoy playing ness too (pff I doubt it, nice outa range pk fire, or blatantly obvious direct pkt2 approach spam bruh)

But what seems to happen quite frequently after I've won a few matches consecutively is the opponent switches to ness as if to say "your winning because your ness, see anyone can do it watch" The people who do this are pretty much always pretty bad but not necessarily terrible and after they've switched to ness it is quite sad to see their pitiful attempt to keep up. They like they're telepathic pkt2 spam as if to really drive it home to me "see this op move?! this is why you win"

Whats the deal? I have tons of mix-up in my ness. I'm not one of those ****ty irritating pk fire or pkt2 spammers, I'll likely use 1 well timed sneaky pkt2 all match, the one that took your stock. Back throw, uair, or offstage pursues is how I get most of my kills.

So.. let me get this straight rosetta.. people lose to you, change their character to mimic yours only to lose even worse and that irritates you? Why? I dunno, I hate poor sportsmanship and bad etiquette and i feel the character mimic is a disrespectful move. I also don't like getting thrown in the same category as "another one of those irritating spammy ness players" I guess i get a chance to demonstrate that and if they stick around long enough I can show them that see, I win with everyone I play against you its not just ness.

/rant

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Dude, don't let it bug you. Who cares why a random salty scrub believes you play Ness? I personally love the hatred, it lets you know you're doing something right. And when you shove it back in their face that you're STILL winning even though they picked Ness, then it just proves your point even further.

Basically, if people are hating you for doing something right, appreciate it, not dislike it. This basically applies to everything you do in life really. If someone hates you because you're making more money than them, then that's their fault. Be proud of what you've got.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If I had to choose from those options, I'd rather go with rage quitters. I fought a Shulk earlier today and I could tell he was being smug because after he took my first stock, he walked to the right of the stage and just ducked. I lost that match for some reason. Second game, I two stocked the guy and just as we were on the third match, he disconnected. On the Wii U, I haven't gotten any hate. Even if I did, I'd most likely just laugh.
Just to say, I do that as well, and I intend it as a sign of respect. Like I'm bowing in honour of a fallen warrior.

I can't say how that player intended their message, but I use it as a way of killing idle time.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I'll try to keep this short but i'm about to discuss something that really irritates me in FG and not alot of other stuff does so forgive me if I drag on a bit.

I play ALOT of characters on FG but ness has always had a special place in my heart since smash 64 and this game he is my bread and buttah, my black stallion, my.. you get my drift. The point im trying to make is other than diddy - which usually just results in them leaving afterwords, i presume due to the stigma that unfortunately surrounds this character - ness seems to get the most flak.

Now maybe I'm reading to much into this as the communication in this game is horrible/ non existent and MAYBE im sure some of them enjoy playing ness too (pff I doubt it, nice outa range pk fire, or blatantly obvious direct pkt2 approach spam bruh)

But what seems to happen quite frequently after I've won a few matches consecutively is the opponent switches to ness as if to say "your winning because your ness, see anyone can do it watch" The people who do this are pretty much always pretty bad but not necessarily terrible and after they've switched to ness it is quite sad to see their pitiful attempt to keep up. They like they're telepathic pkt2 spam as if to really drive it home to me "see this op move?! this is why you win"

Whats the deal? I have tons of mix-up in my ness. I'm not one of those ****ty irritating pk fire or pkt2 spammers, I'll likely use 1 well timed sneaky pkt2 all match, the one that took your stock. Back throw, uair, or offstage pursues is how I get most of my kills.

So.. let me get this straight rosetta.. people lose to you, change their character to mimic yours only to lose even worse and that irritates you? Why? I dunno, I hate poor sportsmanship and bad etiquette and i feel the character mimic is a disrespectful move. I also don't like getting thrown in the same category as "another one of those irritating spammy ness players" I guess i get a chance to demonstrate that and if they stick around long enough I can show them that see, I win with everyone I play against you its not just ness.

/rant
Dude, I feel your post about people changing to Ness, and I honestly find it amusing especially when they suck, but don't complain about spam, i know you are just trying to say you don't spam, but spam complaints in game just sound stupid to me. People use what works, and if their opponent is too much of a scrub to be able to punish their spam, then that is their problem. All spam is punishable, and if someone feels the need to make excuses for their losses by accusing someone of basically "cheating" because they "spam", then they are just pathetic, and hold onto their pride just a little too much.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Ness haters only hate him because they can't handle him. They lose to him because they made a mistake and they deserved it. I'm fairly neutral about this as I did beat some and then lose some and I learn from it.

And to those that switched to Rosalina to counter pick him without knowing how to use her correctly are only making actual Rosalina mains like myself look bad. Get some training first, dammit!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't hate Ness but my boyfriend hates him with a passion. He hates him because he thinks his backthrow is too overpowered. But I honestly think he just gets salty when he loses to Ness players online. So I pretty much agree with Tino's post.

I've also considered having Ness as a main and he won't let me lol.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Don't worry about people being salty about Ness. He's good but everyone makes him out to be the best character ever.

In FG (which is where most people get their opinions on him) Ness can benefit from lag, what with PK Fire and all that. Not to mention that PK Fire spamming does exist, though if you get hit by this you should feel awful since it's such a slow, predictable move. No, really, how do you get hit by PK Fire spam?

I suppose Ganondorf mains need some other reason to complain though :^)

All my friends hate Ness but man they learn to deal with it. Bthrows or not, Ness isn't super amazing. I'm not calling him a low-tier hero but he's got his flaws.

If you hate facing Ness so much, just go Rosalina so I can compensate suicide. Holy **** the Rosa/Ness MU is ****ing awful.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Just be smart with your recovery. Most of the time Ness won't need to even use his UpB to recover, and when you do, you should have positioned yourself to not get gimped so easily.

The gimp isn't a huge issue. What makes Rosy so hard is her hitboxes.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Just be smart with your recovery. Most of the time Ness won't need to even use his UpB to recover, and when you do, you should have positioned yourself to not get gimped so easily.

The gimp isn't a huge issue. What makes Rosy so hard is her hitboxes.
It's not a MU I like to walk into so I guess I'm inexperienced with it.

That makes sense. Still though, the fact that she gimps me with one move is a little spooky.

_clinton

Smash Master
It's not a MU I like to walk into so I guess I'm inexperienced with it.

That makes sense. Still though, the fact that she gimps me with one move is a little spooky.
A pacman main thinks things can be a bit spooky :chuckle:

Anyway, I'll admit that I know one person who uses Rosalina but I don't fight him with Ness that much when we do friendlies. So I guess my match up exp is a bit off.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
A pacman main thinks things can be a bit spooky :chuckle:

Anyway, I'll admit that I know one person who uses Rosalina but I don't fight him with Ness that much when we do friendlies. So I guess my match up exp is a bit off.
I don't get it.

I'm sure the Ness/Rosalina MU isn't awful, but it's not a easy one. Maybe I'll practice it more, but the fact that one move shuts down my recovery is scary.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I don't get it.

I'm sure the Ness/Rosalina MU isn't awful, but it's not a easy one. Maybe I'll practice it more, but the fact that one move shuts down my recovery is scary.
It sounds more scary than it really is, because the move doesn't guarantee a kill. Rosi's downB in particular changes the hitbox ownership so the PKT hitbox is basically "owned" by Rosalina, meaning while it's swirling around her it can hurt us and allow us to use upB again. So even in the situation that we get cornered (which we can usually avoid), it's rarely as bad as it looks on paper. =)

So what do you guys like better. Rage quitters (mid-battle disconnect), or people that verbalize their hatred of you kicking their ***? Rage quitters are funny once in a while but I got like 4 in like an hour, and it gets kind of annoying especially when you finally get a good connection going. I like the verbalizers better I think, because I can talk back to them.
I once had a Palutena main recently where we both went into battle and I 0-deathed the other guy, with like 5 Uairs and a PKT2 kill and once he came back I was sitting at the edge of the stage crouching (Ness crouching is like saying "I feel so sorry for you"), and the Pally just jumps across to the other side, uses upB to the side and SDs immediately. I knew my job was complete. :laugh:

rosetta_stoned

Smash Apprentice
@ the rosa MU specifically on recovery

While rosa's down special definitely makes it easier any character is really capable of accomplishing the same thing just by physically getting hit by the PKT before you can aim it back at yourself. So technically your recovery really shouldn't differ much from rosa to anyone else in that regard.

Also another cool tactic that people use that I give them props for his purposely getting hit by the pkt2 (as it greatly decreases ness range and often doesn't allow him to reach the lip of the stage if below enough) and teching the stage spike.

I've got a bunch of cool footage that im leisurely planning on making a ness recovery guide as this seems to be a general concern. I take alot of risks maybe but ness and his recovery is something that I feel very comfortable with as i've been playing him since the 64 days. its all about positioning where you use it, throwing out aerials (that fair is so good), and using the double pkt2 off a stage wall if applicable. Most importantly though its about mixing up your recovery as any of the sneaky recoveries is punishable once your opponent recognizes the pattern.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
@ the rosa MU specifically on recovery

While rosa's down special definitely makes it easier any character is really capable of accomplishing the same thing just by physically getting hit by the PKT before you can aim it back at yourself. So technically your recovery really shouldn't differ much from rosa to anyone else in that regard.

Also another cool tactic that people use that I give them props for his purposely getting hit by the pkt2 (as it greatly decreases ness range and often doesn't allow him to reach the lip of the stage if below enough) and teching the stage spike.

I've got a bunch of cool footage that im leisurely planning on making a ness recovery guide as this seems to be a general concern. I take alot of risks maybe but ness and his recovery is something that I feel very comfortable with as i've been playing him since the 64 days. its all about positioning where you use it, throwing out aerials (that fair is so good), and using the double pkt2 off a stage wall if applicable. Most importantly though its about mixing up your recovery as any of the sneaky recoveries is punishable once your opponent recognizes the pattern.
I like it too when they purposely get hit by pkt2 and they bounce off the bottom of the stage strait to hell (and I still recover ;)
And even if I don't recover it's still pretty much a suicide move for them unless they are really low %

Manbeartigerphoenix

Smash Apprentice
Ness getting hate because he's "too good" is strange. I'm far too used to Ness being a bad or mediocre character.

My opinion of Ness in Smash 4 is that he became a pretty solid character but he isn't even close to op. PKF, his main ranged attack and the reason for people's hate, can still be easily DI'd/insta-countered out of if it hits. PKF is also a high-risk move so if he does get a combo off it then I feel he deserves it.

Ness also still has his number one weakness that he's had since day one, his recovery. His recovery is still one of the easiest to gimp and with the number of reflectors/absorb moves added to this game it's even more common for it to happen.

All this Ness hate is just haters needing to "git gud" pretty much.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
You're the second person to have said this. I've heard that it could even be 50:50, but I'm not really sure. I hate fighting Rosaluma, so if you've got any tips, PM away.
I've posted some of my thoughts on Rosalin in the matchup thread already. She's got range, and Luma is annoying yes, but as long as you're safe with your recovery and you play smart, knowing when you can punish and when you can't, I don't find her nearly as bad as Diddy, Sheik, and Sonic is all.

_clinton

Smash Master
I like setting Luma on fire. Also if played right and the Rosa underestimates Ness a luma can be murdered by him in under 10 seconds or so.

Got to love how Luma provides good timber for Ness.

Techtonio

Smash Rookie
NNID
techtonio
I've had a few people add me, others have been like 'GGs' and in one case I versed a rival Ness main that used the tag 'Iloveu' and I felt so happy. Actually that Ness main was Techtonio (found him randomly on FG mwahahaha) but still :p
Hey, that techtonio guy is was me :D I am always so happy to play Ness dittos. I want to learn from as many people as I can. Plus, I really do love you and your Ness!

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hey, that techtonio guy is was me :D I am always so happy to play Ness dittos. I want to learn from as many people as I can. Plus, I really do love you and your Ness!
I was so happy to find someone like you there, our matches were so refreshing and hearing you were a known Ness main on the boards made my day when I found out, so I was really excited to say hello :D

Feel free to add me on the wii U/3DS! I'm currently in Israel right now (far from home, Australia ;_; ) so I can't play Wii U but I can play 3DS as much as you'd like, and once I get back at the end of the year I'd love to play some wii U <3

Techtonio

Smash Rookie
NNID
techtonio
I was so happy to find someone like you there, our matches were so refreshing and hearing you were a known Ness main on the boards made my day when I found out, so I was really excited to say hello :D

Feel free to add me on the wii U/3DS! I'm currently in Israel right now (far from home, Australia ;_; ) so I can't play Wii U but I can play 3DS as much as you'd like, and once I get back at the end of the year I'd love to play some wii U <3
Thank you! I would love to play again. Unfortunately I gave my smash for 3ds to my friend because he wanted to get into competitive smash but when you get back, my NNID is: techtonio

Best wishes!

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Dtilt fsmash is never guaranteed because dtilt trips at a 25% rate.

On top of that, it has pitiful range. These moves may not be completely useless, but literally every other move Ness has is a million times better.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I don't hate Ness but my boyfriend hates him with a passion. He hates him because he thinks his backthrow is too overpowered. But I honestly think he just gets salty when he loses to Ness players online. So I pretty much agree with Tino's post.

I've also considered having Ness as a main and he won't let me lol.
Ness has a strong back throw. But so do Toon Link and Sonic. Theirs aren't as strong, but they have KO potential, so hating Ness solely on his back throw alone is quite trivial. Main whoever you want. If he doesn't like it, that's his problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom