• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness gets the boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazuya

Smash Journeyman
he didnt get the boot..... more like the 'left in the corner' forever :(

id hope he is atleast a a costume from lucas, or atleast an AT

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
i know people will argue my point, but 'UP UNTIL NOW' is a deconfirmation. Hopefully he'll be an AT...

Professor X

Smash Apprentice
For the record, the Spanish translation is a bit more ambiguous. It basically starts, 'surely you are familiar with Ness, who appeared in previous Smash Bros. editions.' But even that doesn't look good. Someone on the Lucas forums posted the French translation, which he said was even more suggestive of deconfirmation.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
i know people will argue my point, but 'UP UNTIL NOW' is a deconfirmation. Hopefully he'll be an AT...
I'd rather not see him at all than see him as an AT. That would be terrible.... no character should go from playable to AT or Pokeball... except Pichu. I really don't care what happens to Pichu. But Ness was a fun character and one of the original 12...

geogaither

Smash Apprentice
Is it also possible that 'up until now' means 'up until this current update?' And that we have our first potential clone-esque brawler?

.Yoshi

Smash Journeyman
I'll post this again, why not....>_>

By the way to those using the "up until now" as proof:

いままで (ima made) = "until now, so far, up to the present"

eg. "There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series so far, and Lucas is very similar."

Honestly, no one will know until they unlock all the characters and find out Ness isn't there.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Lucas is only in one game, which he stars, and he doesn't even star all of it. Ness stars all of TWO GAMES, and appears OUTSIDE OF JAPAN, has a huge cult following, and gets the boot. Ya, all Sakurai cares about is Japan-and this is proof of that s***. F***er.

Edit: Translation above...THANKS! :)

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Lucas is only in one game, which he stars, and he doesn't even star all of it. Ness stars all of TWO GAMES, and appears OUTSIDE OF JAPAN, has a huge cult following, and gets the boot. Ya, all Sakurai cares about is Japan-and this is proof of that s***. F***er.

JohnKnight Ness has only been in one of the Mother games. The other character was Ninten.

Still we should have known this would happen, Sakurai almost made himself clear in Melee

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Is it also possible that 'up until now' means 'up until this current update?' And that we have our first potential clone-esque brawler?

No need to deny Ness's death in the Smash Bros. series. I'm pretty sure there will be no clones in Brawl.

Welcome to your first day on the forums, the same day Ness dies.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace

Ness only starred in one game, the one in the NES Mother was named Ninten.

But I still agree. It makes no virtual sense to boot Ness for someone only one country has heard of. This might go down as the second mistake Sakurai's ever made (the first being the Samus/Zamus transformation, which I've ... sort of comes to terms with. Still not happy about it. I won't forget the death of Ness, though).

We better get something GOOD tomorrow. Playable Flint would almost, ALMOST make up for this blasphemy.

I think I might take Ness to my second most played in Melee this weekend to show my support.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Lucas is just Ness in better with blond hair. 98% of the people whining here never even played Ness in the first place nor cared much for him. QQ moar.

DeChTu

Smash Apprentice
I never really cared for Ness, but he's been the sole Earthbound representative for the first two games, plus he was one of the original 12. I just can't quite see them giving him the boot, though this update definitely hinted at it, maybe that's what Sakurai wanted, to allude that Ness wouldn't be returning. The comment may have been just to add mystery, since he hasn't been announced yet. Though it is possible that this was meant to deconfirm his as well, however I won't take this as evidence of his absence in Brawl.

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
Aww I will miss Ness. Well I just hope that this means well get Earth Bound 2 (Mother 3) Released here.

Tho Lucas does look like he's improved over Ness in every way.

Tavo_7

BRoomer
BRoomer
I read the spanish update for the site, it leaves out the "up until now" comment. So I wouldn't rule out Ness yet.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Aww I will miss Ness. Well I just hope that this means well get Earth Bound 2 (Mother 3) Released here.
It BETTER. I've been dying to play the game, and I'm just not willing to struggle through a japanese ROM to do it.

On a lighter note, this kind of breathes life into a theory I had about another character being reborn into a new one... Mewtwo into Lucario. The tail-based attacks could all stay intact, giving Lucario a new special move set, and adapting Shadow Ball into Aura Sphere.

It's better than seeing Jigglypuff get axed as well. And if that happens, why, I'll boycott Brawl faster than a wavedasher in denial.

(not really. All change can be accepted over time... even bad change)

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
No need to deny Ness's death in the Smash Bros. series. I'm pretty sure there will be no clones in Brawl.

Welcome to your first day on the forums, the same day Ness dies.
Umm, Luigi? He's a clone, just not as cloney as the other clones in Melee. And I wouldn't count out Falco or Young Link either, just that the clones will be fewer with more originality like maybe just Luigi, Falco, and Young Link, and hopefully Ness. T_T

Tbacksha

Smash Apprentice
Ness is gone so there is no point in dwelling on that. Now we should increasingly worry for Jigglypuff and unconfirmed melee characters.

Shuma

Smash Hero
If Ness is in Sakurai would have to rework his moveset, or add clones again, didn't he say he didn't whant to add clones again? and i though Ness and Lucas had the same moves?

Yeah, deconfirmed, don't let this become another Nook incident.

NDUDE

Smash Ace
It seems like Ness MAY be gone, but he can easily stay. Why? Moveset. We now know that standard attacks are different, so they won't be clones. What about special attacks? Everything's the same except for the PK Flash/Freeze (hehe, flash freeze) thing. What some don't know is that Ness never HAD those moves. He had things like PK Rockin' and PK Favorite Thing. If his own special moves were incorporated with the already different collection of standard moves, Ness is set. What scares me, though, is that Lucas was supposed to replace Ness in SSBM, but Mother 3 for the N64 got canceled. Now that Mother 3 came out for the GBA in 2006, and Lucas is in, well...

WarxePB

Smash Ace
You know, by the looks of it, Lucas looks alot like a Luigified Ness. I don't know if the two are distinct enough to warrant two slots on the roster, but if Ness' moveset is changed around a bit, both could be added.

Of course, I feel that Ness will be a costume, but the possibility of two characters is there.

Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Lucas is just Ness in better with blond hair. 98% of the people whining here never even played Ness in the first place nor cared much for him.
The first half of that statement is stupid.

And the second half is slightly more stupid.

Shark X

Smash Lord
Honestly, I NEVER cared for Ness, but even I think this is unfair. Especially since he was one of the original 12. Didn't they already supposibly confirm all original 12 would be returning?

And just where the hell is Captain Falcon? The ONLY default vet to not be confirmed yet besides Ness. Now Ness is gone, and there's still no word on Captain Falcon. I care about Captain Falcon about as much as Ness (both of which is very little), but I still respect them. With Ness not returning, even though I could of sworn Sakuri confirmed all original 12 would return, this should make us worry about Jigglypuff and Captain Falcon now (Luigi has already not only been confirmed, but we kinda knew he had the best chance of returning anyway).

yoshj77

Smash Rookie
Its kind of sad considering Ness was an original character. Too bad lucas still has the same recovery as ness, they should have changed it.

Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Its kind of sad considering Ness was an original character. Too bad lucas still has the same recovery as ness, they should have changed it.
PK Thunder was one of the most useful and versatile moves int he game once you figure it out.

Also Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff arent really in danger. They are only unconfirmed due to them by unlockables in 64. No unlockable characters (ever) have been confirmed. Ness is only getting kicked out because he's from Earthbound, and anything relating to Earthbound is destined to end in tragedy.

Sheer Cold

Smash Journeyman
He was an unlockable character in the first one too. So maybe he will be again. Maybe he'll play a much bigger part instead. A boss in the Subspace Emissary?

Shishou

Smash Apprentice
This may be the best sign yet.

This can more or less hint at clones returning. But not in the same way. They will just be semi-clones who not only get the attribute changes from melee but several of their attacks will change as well. Yet they will also keep a fair amount of the attacks from the original character.

So we could see Dr. Mario return. But he wouldn't have Flood, maybe he would have the moveset from Melee? Maybe lose his Super Sheet(gasp?!) and receive some other attack.

More clones like Luigi to Mario rather than Young Link to Link. That would be grand.

PK Thunder was one of the most useful and versatile moves int he game once you figure it out.
Nah, it sucks.

Shark X

Smash Lord
On a lighter note, this kind of breathes life into a theory I had about another character being reborn into a new one... Mewtwo into Lucario. The tail-based attacks could all stay intact, giving Lucario a new special move set, and adapting Shadow Ball into Aura Sphere.
Mind telling me how exactly that is a 'LIGHTER' note?

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Honestly, I NEVER cared for Ness, but even I think this is unfair. Especially since he was one of the original 12. Didn't they already supposibly confirm all original 12 would be returning?
Sakurai never has stated (To the best of my knowledge) That the original 12 characters would be taken as gospel and are not to be removed under any circumstance.

-Knight

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
Hmm...

The Japanese and English site very clearly suggest that it's "up until now" that Ness has been in Brawl, meaning that Ness won't return.
HOWEVER, the fact that they took the time to literally Luigify Lucas (new A-moveset, different B, same ^B but slightly different, slightly different >B, same VB...) implies to me that Ness might still be around.

There was room for Mario and Luigi in melee without people calling them too much of clones, and Ness and Lucas seem to have the ability to share the same kind of relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom