• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ness as a Whole, Point of Inquiry into Ness.

Niko45

Smash Master
I wasn't trying to say his recovery is better than those or anything. Just that it's pretty irrelevant whether or not you have a sweet spot or not if your actual DJ takes 8 days and the opponent has all day to put a hitbox in the ledge area or steal the ledge from you.

Curious, what's a bair/jab trap?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Throw Ness off the level then jab or tilt or whatever with like 20 characters or so.

Then when he double jump backwards because he has nowhere to go in the world (assuming he didn't get hit by it) just space a Bair or whatever your characters' ranged aerial move is in such a way that he can't Fair through it. Try to stay close to the stage, so you can land and throw him back off if he airdodges through with good timing.

Repeat until dead.

That's the gist of it.

It's really gay, mostly effective with good characters. It's not always Bair and Jab, but those are common ones. Sheik you're more likely to F-tilt, Fox is probably going to spam aerials, etc.

Other variations of this include just spacing Bair (or other move) when he's free falling in such a way that you beat his Fair, and can land and punish or come down with another move and combo him if he air-dodges through the initial Bair. Because Ness can't really do much once you rob him of his ability to hit you with Fair during recovery.

D

Deleted member

also mewtwo can air dodge straight into the edge and grab it, so he can do something actually better than a double jump sweetspot.

ness blows.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I cant say that Ness can be top tier, but I can say that ness has the potential to be mid. tier. Ness'es mobility as whole serves as a weak point for him as a character but his combos and set ups serves him well. Not to metion his oos options like DJC nair or WD>bthrow. Ness has the best throw in the game.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I cant say that Ness can be top tier, but I can say that ness has the potential to be mid. tier. Ness'es mobility as whole serves as a weak point for him as a character but his combos and set ups serves him well. Not to metion his oos options like DJC nair or WD>bthrow. Ness has the best throw in the game.
I cant say that Kirby can be top tier, but I can say that Kirby has the potential to be mid. tier. Kirby's mobility as whole serves as a weak point for him as a character but his bair and tilts serves him well. Not to metion his crouch options like crouch > u-tilt or crouch > throw. Kirby has the best grab in the game.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I wasn't trying to say his recovery is better than those or anything. Just that it's pretty irrelevant whether or not you have a sweet spot or not if your actual DJ takes 8 days and the opponent has all day to put a hitbox in the ledge area or steal the ledge from you.
When I say, "He can't sweetspot with his DJ", I mean it's not a viable option for him to attempt to do so like it is with a normal DJ because of how slow it is, and easily covered by... anything. This is a weakness in gimping situations because going for the ledge vs. going for the stage is a big part of gimping games, and can determine whether or not you live.

Mewtwo and friends have magical powers that give them unique recoveries, though, that cheat in these sorts of games. But for most normal recovering characters, there's that edge vs. stage game to fall back on. Ness can't even do that.

crush

Smash Master
Sinji says he isn't a troll, so therefore he must be ********.

Edit: if he's ******** he might not know what a troll is, so he could actually be a troll O_O he's a ******** troll.
:phone:

BairJew

Smash Journeyman
you're posts make me incredibly frustrated
Haven't looked at this thread in a while and loved the humor and some of the directions in which these arguments were going.

Sinji: Love his Bthrow however gotta say his Uthrow and Dthrow aren't too fantastic. Therefore you may pose an arguable point when saying he has the best throw. I can sense Van's frustration yet his Bthrow is decent enough just has possibly the worst grabbox in the game(possibly debatable?) and has a god awful dashgrab therefore I understand where you both may be coming from.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Uthrow and Dthrow are almost decent, Dthrow would be a lot better if Ness had a better grab range.

BairJew

Smash Journeyman
Uthrow and Dthrow are almost decent, Dthrow would be a lot better if Ness had a better grab range.
That's very true and Uthrow can be used as a rep. combo starter if used correctly and you can predict the DI at certain %. But Dthrow isn't too fantastic, not to say its horrible it is good I just think that you have better option I guess. If his grab range was better it would definitely be a lot better though.

Top Bottom