• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nerfs that really bothered ya

jmjb

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anhJer
1.1.4 released the final content of smash 4, and possibly the last balance patch, whether that holds true or not, were there any nerfs or changes in the year of smash 4, that bothered you?

For me, it was removing some neat Easter eggs. Little known fact that if you mashed Village's B button like a machine, you could gain a little bit extra height. How much extra, about 5% more height, you pretty much had to go in 1/4th mode, but it was a neat little property Villager mains knew. It never even made it to the patch notes when it got removed, so sad.

Another thing was the doubles nerf, when team combos got a 50% reduction. I can see how G&W's Bucket was broken, it 1hko, and he had a guaranteed throw into it, and he didn't lose it even after dying. but Ness and Villager definitely weren't that same level of OP, villager couldn't pocket anything as strong as g&w bucket, and he had to use it quick or it'd dissappear. and Ness's heal wasn't OP enough to deserve a nerf. Doubles was a place where creative strategy could trump 2 pro singles players who just played 2 singles games during their match, this nerf hurt that.

Anyway these were the 2 nerfs that bothered me the most, were there any nerfs or changes that bothered you guys?

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
Did Sakurai actually say anything about this being the last patch? All l remember is that it was the last video presentation. Seriously, am l missing something?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Luigi's nerf nettled the hell out of me. The Cyclone nerf was understandable, but the one to his down throw was bull****. I lost a perfectly good secondary to that. Damn it Sakurai...

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Bowser's latest nerf. That was atrocious. He was finally a good character but now Sakurai decided to send him back to the Shadow Realm after his brief stint in the land of high-tiers.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Nope, I'm good

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
All I can say is that Rosalina's weight nerf seemed unnecessary. Heck, even the weight buff that Kirby received is rather redundant if you're only surviving 1% longer than before; it still doesn't save +18 defense Kirby from getting 1-hit KO'd by a +116 attack KO Uppercut from Little Mac.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
All I can say is that Rosalina's weight nerf seemed unnecessary. Heck, even the weight buff that Kirby received is rather redundant if you're only surviving 1% longer than before; it still doesn't save +18 defense Kirby from getting 1-hit KO'd by a +116 attack KO Uppercut from Little Mac.
I'm thinking this patch was rushed. If the most they can do to balance out the top tiers is give them a one-unit weight decrease, it had to have been rushed.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Pac-Man's Instant-Launching Hydrants + Trampoline Nerf has made him become quite poor in means of being a long-running character to main - mostly because trampolines aren't anymore that difficult to get around due always going one same height and more than half of the cast can launch Pac's hydrants with a single hit compared to him, making it useless on the long run. This guy already struggles to get kills these days and most of the time people suggest using super-complicated techs and methods to make Pac-Man reach his "unorthodox and wacky trapper"-status that he used to be hyped as in the earlier days.

I'd like if it they decided to make the Hydrant not be able to be launched by others at least - since we're not gonna get the Wifi-Bar Whiffer fixed to an actual grab anytime soon. :4villagerf:

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
:4greninja:'s hydro pump and up smash & :4luigi:'s down throw and aerial cyclone nerfs really bothers me. Those two moves of the two characters removes of what make them unique and dangerous to fight.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Pac-Man's Instant-Launching Hydrants + Trampoline Nerf has made him become quite poor in means of being a long-running character to main - mostly because trampolines aren't anymore that difficult to get around due always going one same height and more than half of the cast can launch Pac's hydrants with a single hit compared to him, making it useless on the long run. This guy already struggles to get kills these days and most of the time people suggest using super-complicated techs and methods to make Pac-Man reach his "unorthodox and wacky trapper"-status that he used to be hyped as in the earlier days.

I'd like if it they decided to make the Hydrant not be able to be launched by others at least - since we're not gonna get the Wifi-Bar Whiffer fixed to an actual grab anytime soon. :4villagerf:
You mean the Trampolines of Doom? Why wouldn't they patch those? Those were just plain unfair.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Bowser's latest nerf. That was atrocious. He was finally a good character but now Sakurai decided to send him back to the Shadow Realm after his brief stint in the land of high-tiers.
Damnit... Bowser was one of my favorite heavyweights, as well.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
You mean the Trampolines of Doom? Why wouldn't they patch those? Those were just plain unfair.
A lot other tools in this game are pretty "unfair" under certain applications (Ganoncide) yet ultimately they'll be accepted by the community and people have to adapt on using them. The trampolines were pretty nifty tool for stage control for Pac-Man, covering over his other more glaring weaknesses with more options to mix-ups and mindgames today unlike how it's more becoming not worth bothering with due such limited applications in high-level play.

Last edited:

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
One thing that bothered me is Palutena's ftilt getting 2 hits instead of 3. Half of the time, the opponent would drop shield in the ftilt, not knowing there's a third hit (as only two hits connect when you hit with the attack). The three hits made it a bit safer on shield (still dangerous as hell), so seeing that gone feels wrong.

Khao

Smash Lord
Did Sakurai actually say anything about this being the last patch? All l remember is that it was the last video presentation. Seriously, am l missing something?
These were the last couple of DLC fighters.

All of the latest balance updates were done in time with the newest batch of playable characters, likely because of it.

So it's kinda safe to expect we're not getting any balance patches from now on, as character additions have been finalized.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
:4marth::4lucina:oh god shield breaker is actually BREAKING shields! BETTER NERF IT!

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
:4dedede: never getting a single buff even once is a nerf in itself
I mean c'mon
What did Dedede ever do to get absolutely nothing but nerfs
He even got a nerf where YOU CAN ESCAPE HIS FINAL SMASH DURING THE HITS AND AVOID THE BOMB ENTIRELY
GIVE THAT MAN A BUFF

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
:4dedede: never getting a single buff even once is a nerf in itself
I mean c'mon
What did Dedede ever do to get absolutely nothing but nerfs
He even got a nerf where YOU CAN ESCAPE HIS FINAL SMASH DURING THE HITS AND AVOID THE BOMB ENTIRELY
GIVE THAT MAN A BUFF
Why/when did they nerf his Final Smash like that? It was already a weak piece of trash.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Why/when did they nerf his Final Smash like that? It was already a weak piece of trash.
AKA the "Let's just get rid of Vectoring and put DI back in because Wario's a broken mess" patch
AKA "The only patch before the Wii U version was released"
And it was never fixed since
ThanksSakurai

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
As, Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy said, they basically nerfed the buff they gave him in the last patch. I guess a month and a half was all Sakurai wanted Bowser mains to be happy for.
Wow....
Just curious were there any buffs or nerfs to Ganon, DK, DDD?

any buffs or nerfs at all any changes what so ever?

If anyone knows please reply

PS: The Big Gay Dance was a better FS...

Last edited:

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Wow....
Just curious were there any buffs or nerfs to Ganon, DK, DDD?

any buffs or nerfs at all any changes what so ever?

If anyone knows please reply

PS: The Big Gay Dance was a better FS...
I don't really think any of the heavies ever got many changes. Ganondorf got 1 frame off most of his aerials in the patch before the latest, though.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I don't really think any of the heavies ever got many changes. Ganondorf got 1 frame off most of his aerials in the patch before the latest, though.
Yh i know about that...hmmm..well thanks anyway keep on bowsing :) its funny how i mained bowser in Melee and Braw but not in Sm4sh and hes considered the best he has ever been in this iteration of Smash.

PS:

New

Anyone know a guy called "Seph^"
Thats his For Gloryname plays as Cloud with the Black coat outfit.

And has Anyone came across a guy in For Glory with the name
"VILLIANS"
he often plays as Ganon & DDD

Last edited:

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
Dedede's gordo nerf to the reflection threshold that happened before wii u version came out.

With the all the Cloud (down B) and Corrin (counter) jank we've seen lately and the refusual to balance Sheik's neutral, Rosa's Luma and Zero Suit's Up B, Luigi's kill confirm nerf seems unwarranted.

Bowser's nerf this patch was very unwarranted. He was MAYBE a mid tier character even with the hoo hah.

I think she (and ZSS/Sheik) got off very easy. You're lucky Luma hasn't been touched. I'd be thrilled with the minor nerf if I was a Rosa main.

Last edited:

itsmeMOB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
itsmeMOB
Mac's aerial side B. As a Mac main, of course, I'd be pissed over that on top of his already bad recovery.

I'm still a little bothered at ZSS's Boost Kick nerf because I felt like she was already a balanced character before and there was really no need to touch anything of her's.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Mac's aerial side B. As a Mac main, of course, I'd be pissed over that on top of his already bad recovery.

I'm still a little bothered at ZSS's Boost Kick nerf because I felt like she was already a balanced character before and there was really no need to touch anything of her's.
Yup. Cause ZSS sure was one heck of a balanced character. With her D-throw > U-air > U-special killing at 30% from a single grab. That was definitely balanced.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
:4marth: and :4lucina: got their Shield Breaker nerfed.
I still can break shields just fine, but... come on, nerfing Low Tiers? Specially after Marth got such a rough transition from Brawl to this game!

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
I can point out a large list.
  • Several Characters Down Smash's doing more damage and knockback at the back of the attack
  • LandMaster, Great Aether, Triforce Slash all getting knockback and damage nerfs.
  • Pac-Man's Hydrant Damage
  • Mario's U-Air Damage
  • Fox's Forward Air Damage, and His Down Air not like the ones in Brawl and Melee
  • Toon Link's laggy Back-Air.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
I think Charizard and Ike were the only heavies who have been consistently buffed and kept their buffs, actually; Bowser got buffed, but then got nerfed right back down, while Dedede, DK and Ganon have received barely any buffs, and a few nerfs.

Ganon's already ****-tier, Sakurai, no need to nerf him more! :p

Ceruliver

Smash Rookie
The only nerf that really bothered me was the Luigi nerf. Not that I mained or even played Luigi at all.. It's just sad that finally there was a game where Luigi held the spotlight and was looked upon as anything other than a joke character, and then they just nerfed him to the ground.
Oh well, Mario will always be the superior one anyways.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
I think Charizard and Ike were the only heavies who have been consistently buffed and kept their buffs, actually; Bowser got buffed, but then got nerfed right back down, while Dedede, DK and Ganon have received barely any buffs, and a few nerfs.

Ganon's already ****-tier, Sakurai, no need to nerf him more! :p
DK got huge buffs. You forgot about Ding-Dong?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Yup. Cause ZSS sure was one heck of a balanced character. With her D-throw > U-air > U-special killing at 30% from a single grab. That was definitely balanced.
To be fair, they nerfed the scaling on Boost Kick in 1.14. So now she's only a little braindead!

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
:4marth: and :4lucina: got their Shield Breaker nerfed.
I still can break shields just fine, but... come on, nerfing Low Tiers? Specially after Marth got such a rough transition from Brawl to this game!
In Sakurai's defense, they changed the shield breakers to match the nerf to shields a few patches back. That's my understanding.

itsmeMOB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
itsmeMOB
It's not even a true combo. You can DI away from it and it's also dependent on the character's weight. Also, she barely has a neutral game to speak of and her prowess is from punishes and aerial combat.

Also, what ticked me off the most is the "nerf" Sheik got is nothing in comparison to what they did to Boost Kick. Vanish hardly got a nerf. Hardly.

Top Bottom