• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Neglected Combo

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
EDIT:

we all know the basic d.throw-f.tilt at typically 0-10%.
we know b.throw by the ledge, and cargo-d.toss.

why doesn't anyone: Cargo, Jump, UpThrow, DJ Upair??
It can be seriously useful. Admittedly, most lighter weights can get out alot easier, it still has potential application and mindgames. Heavier characters will just be in more trouble.
you want to do this at damages starting when they shouldn't mash out too early (probably 25+)
The trick is WHILE you are rising with you Jump-is when you upthrow (this way you catch up to them in the air faster). Then immediately DJ into an UpAir.
I KOed a falco at 85% from the right platform on battlefield.
Upon further testing (which i should have done before i made this post), its rare just a DJ escapes it, but airdodging seems to work pretty well. REGARDLESS you can Re-UpAir and punish their airdodge if it passed the first.

This just isn't for KOing on platforms. Its great for racking up damage at 20-40% (depending on weight/fallspeed) Its them in a bad position for more hits.They can DI the throw left/right, but you should be able to still connect it in most situations.
Likewise, where an UpAir may not be possible, you can sometimes expect an airdodge, while your F.air is coming out to punish that for an early KO.
This settup seems so obvious, i don't know why i never see it. I'm definately using this more. I'm not saying this is revolutionary by any means, but if you happen to get a grab at mid percents, why not go for it?

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
I've attempted this a bunch of times, since this combo is all DK ever did for any reason back in the Melee days. It definitely works sometimes, but for some reason, it never seemed to be reliable. I guess I'll give it another shot.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
we should probably research at what percentages it is most reliable on each character. (if not guaranteed at some percentage :/)
Done imperfectly it may seem farfeched, but if its all timed smoothly you'd be surprised how fast it can combo.

daisho

Smash Lord
Yeah, didnt know this was possible so i never tried it. This could be useful, often i want to put damage from a throw put cant so i just end up d cargoing off the stage and give him only six percent :( Ill have to try this, Thanks Cyphus!

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
I've been trying this a bit more often, and sometimes I mix in a Cargo-Ftoss into an Fair or something (though that doesn't usually work xO).

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
I use it infrequently, but it is the only thing a lvl 9 CPU DK will ever do out of a grab. Without fail. Except he doesn't jump while he does it, he just cargo uthrows and goes for uair, utilt or usmash.

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
Level 9 CPUs are pro. We should obviously follow their example, since everyone knows they’re unbeatable and stuff.

I remember trying this the first time I played Brawl, and since it didn’t work as well as Melee I disregarded it from the start. But now I’ll try working it in again. Thanks, Cyph. ;D

crifer

Smash Lord
hey cyphus i thought the same thing the last days,
we have so much options out of a throw,
and uair can pressure other really well, bc only few characters have a move that beats uair,
the thing is once started u can easily mindgame them
with
a) sh, (opponent airdodges) dj uair
b) fair
c) wait for airdodge and punsh him
d) bair

its so great really, use it more!

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
yeah this combo is definitely useful as a damage racker
and after they land, they're in a more vulnerable position
the only trouble is that you have to be fast, or they'll struggle out of the grab before you get a chance to uthrow them.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if I could use it, I like cargo low toss off stage because if gives us such an advantage. Giving us power on the stage.

crifer

Smash Lord
but against lety say rob or mk its good bc u cant gimp/spike them well....
and when you´re in the middle of lets say fd u will not make it to the edge with cargo
btw in dk melee boards there is a throw guide we should make one, too,
maybe I will start one

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
Well, obviously there’s less awesome stuff to be pulled off with throws in Brawl … but if you’re willing to experiment, and make lists of which “combos” work against which characters at what levels of damage, that would be of great help to everyone. Obviously.

(Do it!)

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
I don't know if I could use it, I like cargo low toss off stage because if gives us such an advantage. Giving us power on the stage.
you cant follow low cargo with anything for a guaranteed combo though.
the uthrow to uair is guaranteed at lower percents because they dont go far away enough from the throw to get out of hitstun fast enough, so they have no choice but to eat the damage.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
You don't need to follow a low cargo toss to be effective. Just get them as far away from the stage as possible and get some free hits while they try to recover.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
I attempt crazy stuff like this all the time. In Melee you could actually uair juggle for quite some time. But in Brawl in never seemed possible. But I rather cargo Dthrow and just reset.

Tujex

Smash Ace
I did this ALL THE TIME in Melee....so I tend to throw it out randomly in matches out of habit. It does work though, and it makes your opponents that much more afraid of getting grabbed. You have the CSS, the Grab Release, and now this. Not to mention those Dthrow-to-DownB combos.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I saw Bum use it a lot in Melee, but I figured since combos don exits in bawrl I never tried it. My friend tried it on me and I always airdodged it. Hmm =/

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
I saw Bum use it a lot in Melee, but I figured since combos don exits in bawrl I never tried it. My friend tried it on me and I always airdodged it. Hmm =/
In my experience trying it yesterday, it does often get air dodged, but its easy to just hit with another uair at the end of their air dodge.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
I remember this move.... The other day I was playing a friends Sheik in the custom sample Stage L. Maze or something, which has the lowest ceiling out of any stage, I could kill over the top at like 20% or something... And that's only because any earlier he could mash the buttons enough to escape.

So yep, this is too obvious for anyone to consider it happening and actually trying to defend it.. But then again... What else can be done from a carge Uthrow? O-o there's like... No mixing/mindgame potential here is there? If you were to bait someone into trying to dodge this, what would counter?

crifer

Smash Lord
^
hey cyphus i thought the same thing the last days,
we have so much options out of a throw,
and uair can pressure other really well, bc only few characters have a move that beats uair,
the thing is once started u can easily mindgame them
with
a) sh, (opponent airdodges) dj uair
b) fair
c) wait for airdodge and punsh him
d) bair

its so great really, use it more!
this! and you can sh fastfall to the ground and then wait for airdodge and dsmash them,
The 740 uses this alot, there is one vid against mr-r on youtube, watch it!

Top Bottom