• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Needles While Recovering

LooksLikePit

Smash Ace
The way this is done is simple. When you are trying to recover and have plenty of freedom, you can needle to intercept your opponent if they try to hit you away or edgehog. By the time the needle hits them, they don't have enough time to edgehog again or do something, so you get onto the edge free, or at least get some decent percent(if your needles are fully charged). Sometimes your opponent just stands there wondering wtf happened because nobody ever does this(even good people).

This has proven very useful for me, and I just want to know what you think of it. :D

Metà

Smash Master
I do this a lot, and find it extremely useful. It's kept my opponent from edge-hogging me many times, and even killed someone once cause they were caught off-guard and accidentally air-dodged.

However, it should be used sparingly, because if your opponent knows it's coming, they can just avoid it and hit you in the face. Also, it throwing needlies hinders your horizontal movement, so if you're not certain you can make it onto the ledge without grabbing it, it's very risky.

Also it's very easy to do chain by accident this way >_<

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
I do this all the time too. If someone tries to edgehog without wavedashinig, or even with a wavedash, the needles turn them around so they have to doublejump back onto the stage, while i use the first animation of upB to grab the edge.

Celph

Smash Journeyman
a decent changeup, but not incredibly useful because 1. you can use 18% much more wisely (and if you don't shoot a lot of needles, you lag yourself in the air for no reason and it's very easy to get around) and 2. once they statr looking out for it you will get butt ****ed for it.

soap

Smash Hero
if u notice a space animal ledgestalling there is a good chance they arent doing it perfectly and u can needle them out of it and gimp them on the way back. I used to do that alot to my silly friend.

Corrupt Wolf

Smash Rookie
I just recently started trying this (as I am still new to Melee) and I'd have to say that it helps you get back on stage a lot more often then I normally would have. Thanks for the tip! :3

Ministry

Smash Ace
i do this also but occasionaly. if you face a fox thats knows how to edge guard properly this will never work.

Konata Star

Smash Rookie
I use this quite often and it works very well. Needles to ledge to bair on someone is pretty hilarious when, only moments ago, they thought they were going to take a stock.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I usually do it at a relatively safe distance.

I also think it's really handy, since the needle hitboxes on the ground slow down smash attacks etc when you are wavedashing/rolling from the ledge.

Gives you a tiny bit more time to do what you want.

Top Bottom