• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Needle Throw Cancel EdgeHug?

Dcold

Smash Lord
New Sheik AT: NLC:H Needle Ledge Cancel: Hug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcrtM_e89Nc Props to SL for making the video of it.

Well i was playing some games with MBlaze today, and while he was away, i was working on my Needle Glide when i found something, haven't seen anyone use it yet, but i can't record so i cannot show you. May do it vs a computer make a replay and send it to someone who can record or you personally to check it out.

Well here it is. *Note: When using this up to 3 needles may come out not all of them*

Fully Charge your needles *Pretty sure only works this way, or atleast timing is alot harder without it*

Run to the edge. Right before you hit the ledge press b for needles and pull towards the stage. 1, 2, or 3 needles may come out *3 maximum* going FOWARD. When you pull back to the stage it cancels the rest of the needles and puts you on the edge with little to no lag attached to it. Helps destroy characters who depend on horizontal recovery at the ledge itself or over it.

So basically, Sheik slides foward throws up to 3 needles, and slides to the edge almost seemlessly. It can gimp, and edgehog someone, or just set you up to gimp a character trying to recover near the stage side.

I'll make a replay of me doing it if anyone would like to see how it is done.

*I will be getting a camera by CHRISTMAS [Yeah i know] so if you STILL do not see how it is done or looks by then, i will definately have a video up*

Edit: Forgot to mention Sheik does not go Airborne at anytime during this, making it different from the needle glide.

Thanks Guys! Hope this technique can come in handy! ;D

Dcold

Smash Lord
Lemme go make a replay now.

You have to add me on wifi and i'll give you my wii number to show you it. I have the replay ready now. Wifi : 1934 0604 4874 Wii: 0318 6258 1990 8972

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
So... do you grab the ledge after the 3 needles come out or do you just land back on the stage?

Dcold

Smash Lord
@ Leaf: I added your stuff, so when you add mine i'll send you the replay

@ SPelt You grab the ledge as soon as the needle comes out *Leaving Sheik's hand*

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
This is little known.
I was planning on keeping it to myself along with other AT's.
But since the cat is out of the bag I'll help you.

Here is what else you can do with it:
When running forward perform Needle's, slide cancel them and if you perform it correctly while on stage you fall off with no lag at all allowing you to true combo into Fair or Nair.

I usually don't use it because of it's difficulty. It is on my list of things to master though.
Also, this can be performed while not holding any Needles. The timing is just way trickier.

I congratulate you because no one else for a while has tried to help Sheiks meta game.
That has earned you my respect.

If you wish it of me I will make a video showing this along with the stuff I mentioned.

:EDIT:
I forgot to mention something.
It is EXTREMELY tricky but you can do this:
NLC (Needle Ledge Cancel)> air walk (DIing back onto the stage while in the air)> Sheik will move a bit towards the center because it is like a small wave dash> dash> NLC> repeat

It is about twice as fast as normal Needle throwing + you have more options.
The trick is being able to perform it......

Dcold

Smash Lord
This is little known.
I was planning on keeping it to myself along with other AT's.
But since the cat is out of the bag I'll help you.

Here is what else you can do with it:
When running forward perform Needle's, slide cancel them and if you perform it correctly while on stage you fall off with no lag at all allowing you to true combo into Fair or Nair.

I usually don't use it because of it's difficulty. It is on my list of things to master though.
Also, this can be performed while not holding any Needles. The timing is just way trickier.

I congratulate you because no one else for a while has tried to help Sheiks meta game.
That has earned you my respect.

If you wish it of me I will make a video showing this along with the stuff I mentioned.
Thank you SL. Since we're on the topic of Sheik's metagame, i've found some other things that you most likely already know, but you've probably kept to yourself.

2 things both involving needle bounce [wavebounce]

1. As you know Sheik's wavebounce towards the ledge gives her the option to turn it around and use the needles the other way while gliding off of the stage and coming back. However when completed fast enough it cancels out ALL of her needles bringing her back to the stage lagless where she can preform any attack instantly right out of it. I would say this is a Ledge Pivot. A true "pivot" meaning you turn and attack directly out of it.

2. When using any of these moves involving needle canceling, i discovered [probably not "discovered" but you get the point] that decay is still taken into account. Even if needles are not thrown, or launch towards any direction, the decay on them still does take into effect.

Once again thank you SL. And yeah, making a video of that will help show people that what i did can actually be useful etc. Also interested in the other things you mentioned, so definately, if a vid is possible, making it happen is something i would like to see. Also i can send you a replay of me showing a timing to get the one needle itself out, i've basically figured out that timing, as it being the easiest, with 3 being the hardest. Thanks ;D

On your Edit: I was thinking the same exact thing. That's was another thing i was saying in here. Her NLC boosts her from the edge towards the middle. Kind of like the first note i said, but MUCH harder to perform, but once it is mastered, it opens up new pages to Sheik's metagame, along with all of her Needle techs.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Thank you SL. Since we're on the topic of Sheik's metagame, i've found some other things that you most likely already know, but you've probably kept to yourself.

2 things both involving needle bounce [wavebounce]

1. As you know Sheik's wavebounce towards the ledge gives her the option to turn it around and use the needles the other way while gliding off of the stage and coming back. However when completed fast enough it cancels out ALL of her needles bringing her back to the stage lagless where she can preform any attack instantly right out of it. I would say this is a Ledge Pivot. A true "pivot" meaning you turn and attack directly out of it.

2. When using any of these moves involving needle canceling, i discovered [probably not "discovered" but you get the point] that decay is still taken into account. Even if needles are not thrown, or launch towards any direction, the decay on them still does take into effect.

Once again thank you SL. And yeah, making a video of that will help show people that what i did can actually be useful etc. Also interested in the other things you mentioned, so definately, if a vid is possible, making it happen is something i would like to see. Also i can send you a replay of me showing a timing to get the one needle itself out, i've basically figured out that timing, as it being the easiest, with 3 being the hardest. Thanks ;D

On your Edit: I was thinking the same exact thing. That's was another thing i was saying in here. Her NLC boosts her from the edge towards the middle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFn0LkvULW0 here is the first thing you mentioned.

#2 That shouldn't be happening according to Brawl data.

K, I'll get started on one and will publish it sometime tonight.

Dcold

Smash Lord
For # 2 it's when the needles don't show at all and it is fully canceled. I noticed that a little while ago while trying to make a replay of my doing it. Whenever i would mess up after a while needles [fully charged] would only do about 10 damage at most. Something to look into. But it shouldn't happen, but maybe the game counts it as an actual hit and counts the decay of it everytime the needles are canceled making it seem like the needles were thrown [hence why Sheik isn't glowing like her needles are charged], but IDK.

For the video, that is the same move on a smaller level. This one is where Sheik doesn't keep charging her needles. She wavebounces off of the stage back onto it allowing her to use a move out of it at the price of needles not being charged. Has it's goods and bads, good to trick people who rely on close combat [the marths the sonics basically no projectiles] to come close and "trick" them into a corner. Makes Sheik's wavebounce even more useful than for "backwards" needles while fox trotting/running. ;D

Top Bottom