• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need Math Help?

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Hmm...does it have to be tangent (only 1 shared point between the line and the circle) or can the line go through the circle? Nevermind, it's obviously tangent since the smallest angle would be formed by line formed between the bottom of the circle and the origin.

One thing that would make this problem immensely easier is to draw it out, so as I'm writing this feel free to draw out what I say.

The first thing to do in this problem is to plot out the circle. The center is at (4,3) and the radius is 2, so we can use this information to find a few other points on the circle. Clockwise from top, they are:

(4,5)
(6,3)
(4,1)
(2,3)

Obviously the circle has more points than these on it but for simplicity we will be focusing mainly on these.

Next we should look at the angle formed by drawing a line from the origin to each of these points and see which is smallest.

Line formed by origin and (4,5) - Fairly large, approximately >45 degrees.
" " " " " (6,3) - Decent size but smaller than the previous line.
" " " " " (4,1) - Very small, smaller than the other lines in fact.
" " " " " (2,3) - Slightly smaller than the first line but bigger than the rest.

We can therefore conclude that the smallest angle with respect to the origin would be formed by the line from the origin to (4,1).

That's nice but how would we find the angle itself? The answer lies in trigonometry. If we were to make the line into a triangle by dropping down a vertical line from the end point and a horizontal line that ended at the same x value as the endpoint, we sould have a triangle. We would also have the measurements of two of the legs of the triangle (4 and 1) and could find the value of the hypotenuse by using the Pythagorean Theorem:

c^2=a^2+b^2
c^2=4^2+1^2
c^2=16+1=17
c=17^0.5 (this is the same as saying the square root of 17)

We also now our equations for sine, cosine, and tangent for each specific angle:

sin(angle x)=length of opposite side/length of hypotenuse
cos(x)=adjacent/hypotenuse
tan(x)=sin(x)/cos(x)=opposite/adjacent

However, because we are trying to find the angle and not the sin/cos/tan of it, we will have to us arcsin/arccos/arctan of the values of the sides of the triangle to find the measure of the angle. Thus, our final step can look like one of the following:

x=arcsin(opposite/hypotenuse)
x=arccos(adjacent/hypotenuse)
x=arctan(opposite/adjacent)

You'll get the same value of x for all 3.

Choosing which angle to find these values of is also an important choice. Because we are trying to find the angle with respect to the x-axis, choosing the angle formed by the x-axis and the line will be the best option. Thus, our final equations will look like this:

x=arcsin(1/(17^0.5))
x=arccos(4/(17^0.5))
x=arctan(1/4)

You'll get the same value of x for all 3.

Hope that helped.

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
If the line goes through the circle then it wont be the minimum angle because it'll touch the circle more than once. I dont know how else to describe the question.

I got a diagram here:

Your trying to find angle X or theta or whatever you want to call the angle ;D

Oh and for the record, I know the answer to the question, I just wanted to see how someone else would go to solve it.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Oh, actually now that I look at a more accurate diagram it seems my methodology was incorrect.

ugh, I'll solve this in the morning.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
ok, I got it.

You need to use polar coordinates.

So the equation for the circle works out to be this:

(x-4)^2+(y-3)^2=4

If we multiply everything out we can get it into a form where we can convert to polar coordinates:

x^2-8x+16+y^2-6y+9=4

This converts to:

r^2-8rcos(theta)-6rsin(theta)+25=4
r^2-8rcos(theta)-6rsin(theta)=-21

Since:

r^2=x^2+y^2
x=rcos(theta)
y=rsin(theta)

Since our new equation for the circle is above, we can then use the second derivative test to find the critical values of theta and then the second derivative test to find which of the critical values are maxima and minima.

Find the derivative of the equation with respect to theta:

d/dtheta(r^2-8rcos(theta)-6rsin(theta)=-21)
2r'r-8r'cos(theta)+8rsin(theta)-6r'sin(theta)-6rcos(theta)=0
2r'r-8r'cos(theta)-6r'sin(theta)=-8rsin(theta)+6rcos(theta)
r'(2r-8cos(theta)-6sin(theta))=-8rsin(theta)+6rcos(theta)
r'=(-8rsin(theta)+6rcos(theta))/(2r-8cos(theta)-6sin(theta))

First derivative test:

0=(-8rsin(theta)+6rcos(theta))/(2r-8cos(theta)-6sin(theta))
0=-8rsin(theta)+6rcos(theta)
0=-8sin(theta)+6cos(theta)
8sin(theta)=6cos(theta)
8tan(theta)=6
tan(theta)=6/8=3/4
theta=arctan(3/4) (remember that there is more than 1 value for this since 0<=theta<2pi)

Find the second derivative with respect to theta:

d/dtheta(r')=d/dtheta((-8rsin(theta)+6rcos(theta))/(2r-8cos(theta)-6sin(theta)))
r''=[(2r-8cos-6sin)(-8r'sin-8rcos+6r'cos-6rsin)-(-8rsin+6rcos)(2r'+8sin-6cos)]/(2r-8cos-6sin)^2
r''=[(-16r'rsin-16(r^2)cos+12r'rcos-12(r^2)sin+64r'cos*sin+64rcos^2-48r'cos^2+48rsin*cos+48r'sin^2+48rsin*cos-36r'sin*cos+36r'cos^2)-(-16r'rsin-64rsin^2+48rsin*cos+12r'rcos-48rsin*cos-36rcos^2)]/[4r^2-16rcos-12rsin-16rcos+64cos^2+48sin*cos-12rsin+48sin*cos+36sin^2]
This is going to take a really long time, but you see where I'm going.

Theta will be equal to arctan(3/4).

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
:(

Sorry but thats not correct ;P

Arctan(3/4) gives you 0.644 Radians. The answer is 0.23 Radians. You can try it again if you want or I can show you how I got it.

Nike.

Smash Hero
It's not math but chemistry. Hopefully somebody can help me balance this?

K4Fe(CN)6+_KMnO4+_H2SO4 --> _KHSO4+_Fe2(SO4)3+_MnSO4+_HNO3+_CO2+_H2O

Find the blanks.

starmatrix

Smash Cadet

Find the blanks.
10 K4Fe(CN)6 + 122 KMnO4 + 299 H2SO4 --> 162 KHSO4 + 5 Fe2(SO4)3 + 122 MnSO4 + 60 HNO3 + 60 CO2 + 188 H2O

That should be about right..

Gates

Banned via Warnings
:(

Sorry but thats not correct ;P

Arctan(3/4) gives you 0.644 Radians. The answer is 0.23 Radians. You can try it again if you want or I can show you how I got it.
Yeah, I guess I was closer with my first attempt.

Please tell me how you did this. It feels like I learned the methodology a long time ago and forgot.

Find the blanks.
I have a decent amount of experience with the mathematics of chemistry so I can help you out here.

So I'm assuming that since you don't have a blank space in front of the compound with iron in it that there's only going to be one of it. Since there is also only one iron on the left side of the equation and 2 on the right side, we can plug in one of our numbers right away.

K4Fe(CN)6+_KMnO4+_H2SO4 --> _KHSO4+_0.5_Fe2(SO4)3+_MnSO4+_HNO3+_CO2+_H2O

I have to leave now. More later.

EDIT: OK, I'm back now.

We can use the same thought process we had in the first step and apply it to the other elements exclusive to K4Fe(CN)6, carbon and nitrogen (potassium is shared with another compound on the left side so we need to wait on it). We have 6 of each and they both have 1 of them in the right side, so we can assign two more numbers based on that.

K4Fe(CN)6+_KMnO4+_H2SO4 --> _KHSO4+_0.5_Fe2(SO4)3+_MnSO4+_6_HNO3+_6_CO2+_H2O

Now let's look at what we have so far and what the "ingredients" required of them would be and cross off what we already have.

0.5 Fe2(SO4)3 - 1 Fe, 1.5 SO4 (1.5 S, 6 O)
6 HNO3 - 6 H, 6 N, 18 O
6 CO2 - 6 C, 12 O

In total, we still need 1.5 sulfur, 6 hydrogen, and 36 oxygen. However, this is made somewhat easier since on the left side of the equation hydrogen and sulfur are both in the same compound, sulfuric acid.

nvm, starmatrix is right. Divide his answer by 10 and you'll get the number I was going towards.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
ok, that makes sense.

I guess I should have left it in normal cartesian coordinates instead of polar and I would've been able to do it more easily.

DUB

Smash Lord
I've got a simple problem that I'm stuck on!

Solve: I hate logarithims :(

1) e^4x-4-2=1420

2) 2+7 ln x=6

Halp plz

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
I've got a simple problem that I'm stuck on!

Solve: I hate logarithims :(

1) e^4x-4-2=1420

2) 2+7 ln x=6
1) Im guessing you mean e^(4x-4) - 2 = 1420
That would mean e^(4x-4) = 1422 and so 4x-4 = ln1422
x = (ln1422+4)/4
x = 2.815

2) 2+7lnx = 6 ---> 7lnx = 4 ----> lnx = 4/7 ----> x = e^(4/7) ---> x = 1.7708

Death

Smash Lord
I have a physics test coming up soon and there may be proofs and derivations on it. I was wondering if someone could help me derive the five formulae for uniform acceleration or direct me to a site that has this information?

Super Touhey

Smash Cadet
(3+2root21)^2 = 9+84+12root21 = 93+12root21
so your equation becomes
(75-12-8root21)/(6(14+root21))
(63-8root21)(14-root21)/(6*(196-21))
(882-112root21-63root21+168)/1050
(1050-175root21)/1050
1-(175root21/1050)
1-(root21/6)

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
(3+2root21)^2 = 9+84+12root21 = 93+12root21
so your equation becomes
(75-12-8root21)/(6(14+root21))
(63-8root21)(14-root21)/(6*(196-21))
(882-112root21-63root21+168)/1050
(1050-175root21)/1050
1-(175root21/1050)
1-(root21/6)
Nice, thanks a lot for that!

Theres this other question thats really annoying me :(

If the n+1 term of a sequence is equal to (1/2)*(n + x/n) then create a formula for the nth term relative to the first term.

So say the first term is 5. The 2nd term will be (1/2)*(5+x/5) = (5²+x)/10
Then the 3rd term will be (1/2)( (5²+x)/10 +x / ((5²+x)/10)) )
So then what is the nth term?

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
"When the air temperature is below 0 degrees C, the water at the surface of a lake freezes to form a sheet of ice.

If the upper surface of an ice sheet 25.3 cm thick is at -10.8 degrees C and the bottom surface is at 0.00 degrees C , calculate the time it will take to add 2.00 mm to the thickness of this sheet."

Considering I can't find any equations to fit this in my book, I'm guessing there's some proportion I'm supposed to set up? I'm clueless.

Oh, and the time they want is in seconds.

I'd greatly appreciate any hint I can get on this, since I've got 4 hours to do this. I'll edit this post with more that I'm stumped on if I find any.

EDIT: I've got more.

"One end of a copper rod is immersed in boiling water at 100 degrees C and the other end in an ice-water mixture at 0 degrees C. The sides of the rod are insulated. After steady-state conditions have been achieved in the rod, 0.165 kg of ice melts in a certain time interval."

And it asks in multiple parts for the entropy change in the ice-water, the boiling water, the copper rod, and the total entropy change. I figured out the ice-water part easily enough, but I'm stumped on the others.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
Well, these kinds of problems are my pet peeve. When you're given not very much information to work with.

EDIT: I'm definitely late, but I can still get 75% on these problems if I come up with an answer, so I'd still appreciate the help. These problems are still likely to show up on the exam anyway.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
For finding the volume of a solid by rotation, when is appropriate to use cylindrical shells versus the disk method?

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
4e^x = 30
--> e^x = 7.5
--> x = ln7.5
--> x = 2.015

logbase5 (x-3) = 1
--> 5^1 = x-3
--> x-3 = 5
--> x = 8

One thing you should remember. e^lnx = x, so the first question you could have shortcutted. 4*? = 30, ? = 7.5, how does e^x become 7.5? its 7.5 if the x is ln7.5.

DUB

Smash Lord
I'm asking a lot of questions sorry haha. My math exam is tomorrow though I really have to do good :(

"A developer wants to enclose a rectangular grassy lot that borders a city street for parking. If the developer has 336 feet of fencing and does not fence the side along the street, what is the largest area that can be enclosed?"

The answer is 14,112. I just can't come up with it.

cF=)

Smash Lord
to dub:

the perimeter of your rectangular grassy lot is 336=2a+b (a being perpendicular to the street and b, the opposite side of the street.)

the area enclosed by your fence is a*b=A that you wanna maximize.

from the first equation, a = (336-b)/2
when we put that in our second equation, A=½(336*b-b²)
maximizing A is the same as looking for it's first derivative to be equal to 0.
thus 336-2b=0
from there b=168, a=84, and a*b=14,112.

you're welcome.

EDIT: I also need to ask a question after all lol

Find the maximum of the derivative of the function f(x; y; z)=x²+y²+z² in the direction (1;sqrt(2);-1) when x, y, z vary on the sphere x²+y²+z²=4.

Where the heck should I plug my spherical constraint?

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
Since your trying to find a maximum involving a constraint and 3 variables (x, y ,z) then your going to have to use lagrangian multipliers. Directional derivatives confuse me so im not entirely sure on how to get your answer but this is what I get:

Directional Derivative = Del f dot product u (where u is your direction vector)
so that is (2x, 2y, 2z) dot product (1, root2, -1) = (2x + 2yroot2 -2z)

Lagrangian multipliers say Del f (in this case f is our directional derivative) = lambda Del g (where g is your constraint)
and so (2, 2root2, -2) = lambda(2x, 2y, 2z)

From this we create 4 equations with four unknowns:

2 = 2x*lambda
2root2 = 2y*lambda
-2 = 2z*lambda
x² + y² + z² = 4

Very easy to solve:

x = 1
y = root2
z = -1
lambda = 1 (useless value)

Check --> 1² + (root2)² + (-1)² = 4? Yes it does!

Maximum of the derivative is then 2(1) + 2(root2)root2 - 2(-1) = 2+4+2 = 6

Again i'm not sure if thats right, I hope it is :p

Death

Smash Lord
Wow, I am in soo much trouble. My physics teacher assigned us a problem set that he says is review but we've NEVER done the material before. Ever. And it is due on Tuesday! ! ! I would really appreciate some help!

1. A girl pulls a toboggan across icy snow with a force of 40 N. The mass of the toboggan is 10 kg. If the acceleration of the toboggan is 3.5 m/s^2, and friction can be neglected, at what angle to the horizontal does the girl pull? (answer says 29.0 degrees)

2. A plane takes off a level runway with two gliders in tow, one behind the other. The first glider has a mass of 1600 kg and the second a mass of 800 kg. The frictional drag may be assumed as constant and equal to 2000 N on each glider.
a) If the velocity of 40 m/s is required for takeoff, how long a runway is needed? (320 m)
b) How strong must the towrope between the two gliders be? (4 000 N).

3. An 8.0 g bullet travelling at 400 m/s passes through a heavy block of wood in 4.0 x 10^-4 s, emerging with a velocity of 100 m/s. Ignore any motion of the wood.
a) With what average force did the wood oppose the motion of the bullet? (6.0 x 10^3 N)
b) How thick is the block of wood? (1.0 x 10^-1 m)

4. A boy with a mass of 30 kg pulls a cart with a mass of 100 kg horizontally towards himself.
a) With what force does he have to pull on the rope to accelerate the cart at 2.0 m/s^2? (2.0 x 10^2 N)
b) With what force must his feet push on the ground to keep him from accelerating towards the cart? (Do you get a triple negative sign here?)
c) If there is no friction between his feet and the ground, what is his acceleration (-6.7 m/s^2)

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
"When the air temperature is below 0 degrees C, the water at the surface of a lake freezes to form a sheet of ice.

If the upper surface of an ice sheet 25.3 cm thick is at -10.8 degrees C and the bottom surface is at 0.00 degrees C , calculate the time it will take to add 2.00 mm to the thickness of this sheet."

Considering I can't find any equations to fit this in my book, I'm guessing there's some proportion I'm supposed to set up? I'm clueless.

Oh, and the time they want is in seconds.

I'd greatly appreciate any hint I can get on this, since I've got 4 hours to do this. I'll edit this post with more that I'm stumped on if I find any.

EDIT: I've got more.

"One end of a copper rod is immersed in boiling water at 100 degrees C and the other end in an ice-water mixture at 0 degrees C. The sides of the rod are insulated. After steady-state conditions have been achieved in the rod, 0.165 kg of ice melts in a certain time interval."

And it asks in multiple parts for the entropy change in the ice-water, the boiling water, the copper rod, and the total entropy change. I figured out the ice-water part easily enough, but I'm stumped on the others.
Does anyone know solve these two? If they show up on the exam I'm done for.

Wow, I am in soo much trouble. My physics teacher assigned us a problem set that he says is review but we've NEVER done the material before. Ever. And it is due on Tuesday! ! ! I would really appreciate some help!

1. A girl pulls a toboggan across icy snow with a force of 40 N. The mass of the toboggan is 10 kg. If the acceleration of the toboggan is 3.5 m/s^2, and friction can be neglected, at what angle to the horizontal does the girl pull? (answer says 29.0 degrees)

2. A plane takes off a level runway with two gliders in tow, one behind the other. The first glider has a mass of 1600 kg and the second a mass of 800 kg. The frictional drag may be assumed as constant and equal to 2000 N on each glider.
a) If the velocity of 40 m/s is required for takeoff, how long a runway is needed? (320 m)
b) How strong must the towrope between the two gliders be? (4 000 N).

3. An 8.0 g bullet travelling at 400 m/s passes through a heavy block of wood in 4.0 x 10^-4 s, emerging with a velocity of 100 m/s. Ignore any motion of the wood.
a) With what average force did the wood oppose the motion of the bullet? (6.0 x 10^3 N)
b) How thick is the block of wood? (1.0 x 10^-1 m)

4. A boy with a mass of 30 kg pulls a cart with a mass of 100 kg horizontally towards himself.
a) With what force does he have to pull on the rope to accelerate the cart at 2.0 m/s^2? (2.0 x 10^2 N)
b) With what force must his feet push on the ground to keep him from accelerating towards the cart? (Do you get a triple negative sign here?)
c) If there is no friction between his feet and the ground, what is his acceleration (-6.7 m/s^2)
I'm surprised you haven't done these before, but I'll take a crack at the ones I know.

For this problem the acceleration is in the horizontal direction (since the toboggan isn't lifting off the ground nor burrowing into it, it's vertical acceleration is 0), and since the girl is pulling the toboggan at an angle, the force has two components, 40 sin(theta) for the y component and 40 cos(theta) for the horizontal component. You can check this by drawing a sketch of the situation and forming a right triangle with the 40 N side as the hypotenuse.

Anyway, with 40 cos(theta) being the only force applied in the horizontal direction (since there is no friction), the sum of the forces in the horizontal direction is

40 cos(theta) = ma

We know the mass of the toboggan is 10 kg, and the acceleration in the horizontal direction is 3.5 m/s^2, so the equation becomes:

40 cos(theta) = (3.5)(10) = 35

So, solving for the angle theta we get:

cos(theta) = 35/40
theta = cos^-1(35/40)

And I got 28.955 degrees, which to 3 significant figures is your answer, 29.0 degrees.

2. Still working on it, I'll come back to this one later if no one else has this one.

3. a)
This requires the use of the impulse equation, as the bullet starts at one velocity, is hit with some force as it goes through the block for a short amount of time, and this force causes it to come out at a different velocity. Thus,

J = Ft = mv1 - mv2

t = time = 4.0 * 10^-4 s
m = mass of the bullet = 8.0g = .008 kg (Remember 1000g = 1 kg)
v1 = 400 m/s (Bullet's velocity before collision)
v2 = 100 m/s (Bullet's velocity after collision)

mv1 = momentum before = 3.2 kg*m/s
mv2 = momentum after = .8 kg*m/s

So, J = F(4.0 * 10^-4) = 3.2 - .8, and since we want the force, just divide both sides by the time.

F = 2.4/4 * 10^-4 = 6000 N = 6.0 * 10^3 N

3. b)
You'll need to use the force from the previous part to solve this one. Here, you'll use the conservation of energy to find the thickness.

Pgi + Psi + Ki - W = Pgf + Psf + Kf

Pgi = Initial Gravitational potential energy = 0 (bullet is at the same height at all times)
Psi = Initial Spring potential energy = 0 (no spring)
Ki = Initial Kinetic Energy = 1/2 mv^2 = 1/2 (.008)(400)^2 = 640 Joules
W = Work done, usually responsible for a drop in one quantity of energy (as with kinetic in this case) = Fd cos(theta) = 6000d cos(0) = 6000d Joules

Pgf = Final gravitational potential energy = 0 (same as initial gravitational potential above)
Psf = Final spring potential energy = 0 (same as initial spring potential above)
Kf = Final kinetic energy = 1/2mv^2 = 1/2 (.008)(100)^2 = 40 Joules

So, plugging all this in and rearranging:

640 - 6000d = 40
600 = 6000d
d = .1 = 1 * 10^-1 m

4. a)
This part is simply using Newton's Second Law, F = ma. The cart has a mass of 100 kg, and the acceleration is 2.0 m/s^2, so:

F = (100)(2.0) = 200 N = 2.0 * 10^2 N

4. b)
There's just one negative sign, as far as I know. To keep him from accelerating toward the cart he has to push back with an equal, but opposite force (Newton's 3rd Law), so F = -200 N = -2.0 * 10 ^2 N. Since I'm not sure what you mean, I'm not entirely sure my answer's right, but the reasoning sounds fair to me. >.>

4. c)
Apply Newton's Second Law to the boy.

F = ma
-200 = (30)a
a = -6.66667 m/s^2 = -6.7 m/s^2

EDIT: I'm adding spoiler tags just in case all you need is just a push in the right direction and don't want to see everything.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
Hey, I'm solving linear differential equations...

Anyways, how does this simplify?: e^(1.5ln(100 + 2T)

I'm thrown off by the 1.5 in front of the ln...

I'm thinking its: (100 + 2t)^1.5 but I'm not positive.

help?

Gosu_Engineer

Smash Ace
Hey, I'm solving linear differential equations...

Anyways, how does this simplify?: e^(1.5ln(100 + 2T)

I'm thrown off by the 1.5 in front of the ln...

I'm thinking its: (100 + 2t)^1.5 but I'm not positive.

help?
That looks about right.

One property of logarithms a coefficient can be put as a power of the argument
log_a(x^r) = r log_a(x)

so yours can be written as e^(ln(100 + 2t)^1.5 )
or (100 + 2t)^1.5

Nintendo Man that looks likes a Thermodynamics problem that might become an ugly bessel function. Maybe two years ago I could have helped but I don't remember any of that...Life lesson: don't cram for tests if you want to remember something long term.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
yea I believe you have the correct answer, (100 + 2t)^1.5

because e^ln is 1 so both those cancel and then the 1.5 will go back to being an exponent.

what class is this for?

edit

nvm gosu beat me to it.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
ok, heres a matrix:

[3 c 1
c 4 5
-1 6 11]

for what values of the parameter "c" can the matrix not have an inverse?

I'm stumped

if I had to guess, I'd say real numbers > 0, but thats just a guess. Even if that was right how would I prove it?

This is for calc 3, which means linear algebra and differentieal eqs...

Smash Journeyman
ok, heres a matrix:

[3 c 1
c 4 5
-1 6 11]

for what values of the parameter "c" can the matrix not have an inverse?

I'm stumped

if I had to guess, I'd say real numbers > 0, but thats just a guess. Even if that was right how would I prove it?

This is for calc 3, which means linear algebra and differentieal eqs...
Do what you normally would do when finding a determinant. But when setting up the diagonals, set it to equal zero.

Ex.

[ 1 1

1 1]

(1+1)-(1+1) = 0

Except when you get there, you solve for c.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
^wait, so if the determinant is 0, then the matrix can't have an inverse??

that would be critical to know haha.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Right, if the determinant is zero it's not invertible.

Do you know where to go from there or do you want us to continue?

Top Bottom