• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need Math Help?

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I was just wondering if there was a way to isolate for x in the following equation:

x sin x = a

Where a is a constant

My friend just asked me this and I had no idea what the answer was...
I don't think there is a way to do this algebraically.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Let x = 1 – 1 + 1 – 1 + 1 …
X = (1 – 1) + (1 – 1) + (1 – 1) +…
X = 0 + 0 + 0 + …
X = 0
Let x = 1 – 1 + 1 – 1 + 1 …
X = 1 + (-1 + 1) + (-1 + 1) + (-1 + 1) …
X = 1 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0…
X = 1
Thus,
1 = 0

Satisfied? I have an entire thread for this stuff. It's on the next page of threads. :)
Did anyone prove you wrong in the tons of pages? I read the first page, saw this, and laughed lol. You can't use ellipses when applying the addition property. In fact, you can't use ellipses when applying ANY of the basic properties. So this hypothesis is null. :) (I tried to trick my teacher with this once lol, so I'm not being mean, I'm actually understanding here) I'm a Math major btw.

Anyways, I'm only a freshman so I'm not as knowledgeable, but I too, can help with anything up to Calc and potentially discrete math (I'm starting the course this semester). I've gotta go through Calc IV here, along with about a dozen additional math courses on the side. Since I'm combining the Math degree with Secondary Ed, my school requires I complete the BA for Math a year early, so my 4th year can be focused a bit more on the Secondary Ed part.

Doraki

Smash Lord
Well, x cos x + sin x = 0, and that won't really get you anywhere. But good thought, though! :)
that gets you to the extrema of the x.sin x function, and has absolutely nothing to do with the problem.
x.sin x = a has an infinite number of solutions, you can get a good asymptotical approximation of them, but there's no way to get them exactly.
Gerbil said:
Did anyone prove you wrong in the tons of pages? I read the first page, saw this, and laughed lol. You can't use ellipses when applying the addition property. In fact, you can't use ellipses when applying ANY of the basic properties. So this hypothesis is null. (I tried to trick my teacher with this once lol, so I'm not being mean, I'm actually understanding here) I'm a Math major btw.
The problem there is that the serie (-1)^n doesn't converge when you take its absolute values, so 1-1+1-1+1... doesn't even exist, and it's wrong to do anything with it : you get inconsistent results if you do.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow! This thread got active all of a sudden!

DigitalMaster: Hmm... An algebraic solution to that isn't striking me right away. It's early... let me think about it. (Though it will have infinite solutions like GS said)

Thekrustinator
: Noooooo!!! Btw, isn't your sig from Futurama?

Gerbil: Yea... GS kinda beat me to it again, but the problem isn't so much with the ellipses, but with the fact that the series given is divergent. You CAN add series, and you CAN show them with ellipses:

.1 + .01 . +.001 + .0001 + .00001 = .11111...
or
.111111... + .22222222... = .33333...

It's just an informal notation for "this pattern repeating infinitely" just the same as putting a line above the letters. (I can't type it here)

The series 1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + 1... is divergent, which means it has no sum. So you can't say it "equals 0" because it doesn't equal anything, it has no sum.

GoldShadow: You beat me to it again! I have to watch this thread more diligently! (:))

Metal_Dave

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: Nevermind I didn't check the last recent posts to see if this was still going on, but I'll have my questions ready this week as I start my math class this Tuesday.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
so ummm... I was wondering if you guys could help me prepare for calculus and ****. Math is really easy for me. I spend pre-calc making kirby's with my graphing calculator. Any topic really. Mabye you could put it up on your first post?

(^+(o.O))+ Kudos to anyone who sees that.

TheFifthMan

Smash Journeyman
A couple blocks away from Purdue University
I believe it's -(x^2)e^(1/x)

if u = (1/x), then du = -1/x^2

then- x^2 integral(e^u)

which would be -(x^2)e^(1/x)

if you take the derivate back from that, you should end up with what you started.
That's not it. I ran it through an integrator and it gave me

xe^(1/x)-Ei(1/x)

Thanks for the integrator link, AltF4. Although someone taught me how to do MATLAB integration...

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
TheFifthMan said:
That's not it. I ran it through an integrator and it gave me

xe^(1/x)-Ei(1/x)

Thanks for the integrator link, AltF4. Although someone taught me how to do MATLAB integration...
alright, alright. you don't have to rub it in my face by constantly repeating yourself! :(

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ohsnap, epic quadruple post, FifthMan. But yea, MatLab and Maple are both really good tools if you can get your hands on them.

TheFifthMan

Smash Journeyman
A couple blocks away from Purdue University
whoa... sorry about that... I'll blame that on the server load problems we had last week.

in b4 johns... and oh! I'd also like to offer my services. I think that all of us should list our qualifications and people can PM us based on our abilities or something.

South_Paw

Smash Ace
Bumping for brain-exploding justice

Alice has seven times the amount of pens that Maurice has. Paul has two-thirds of the amount of pens as Alice and Suzy have combined. Dawn has a dozen more pens than Paul. Suzy has half the pens that Maurice has. If Suzy has 2 pens, how many does Dawn have?

for funsies... i looked up some word problems like these. i usually just plug and play random numbers till i get it right, i never was one for 'showing my work'... but ones this long lead you really far before you discover the dead end. so... how?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey! I forgot about this thread. We should revive it now that school's starting again.

Here you go, Coty.

Alice = A
Maurice = M
Paul = P
Suzy = S
Dawn = D

1) A = 7M
2) P = (A+S) (2/3)
3) D = P + 12
4) S = M / 2
5) S = 2

Substitute 5) into 4) ->
2 = M / 2
M = 4

Substitute the result into 1)
A = 7 * 4
A = 28

Substitute the result into 2)
P = (28 + 2) (2/3)
P = (30) (2/3)
P = 20

Substitute the result into 3)
D = 20 + 12
D = 32

Dawn has 32 pens.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I have a question. I'm starting High School this year and I will be taking Pre-AP Geometry. Any ideas of what to expect or any reminders of what we went over in Algebra?

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
^
I just do homework for other classes

---

I just took Trig and I'm going straight to AP Calculus AB. (skipped precal)
I'm also taking AP Physics this year (in case the whole "you need to be in calculus to do good in physics" thing is true)

Is it a bad move on my part or can I adapt to the situation and stay even with everyone else in class?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
When you take Calculus and Physics (AP of both) simultaneously, you should realize after not long that they are nearly the same class, with differing emphases. It really is worth it, Smash Noob.

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
At my school, trig and pre-calculus are bundled together, so I don't have that luxury. But I'm sure that if you're intelligent enough, you can skip pre-calculus. Given, I haven't had any calculus experience... But schools walk the less smart kids through everything. You'll probably get almost a full review of pre-cal before you even start any new material.
Same in my school. I took trig cuz it counts as credits for pre-calculus in my school and I can immediately take AP calculus.

and thanks AltF4 for the advice.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I have a question. I'm starting High School this year and I will be taking Pre-AP Geometry. Any ideas of what to expect or any reminders of what we went over in Algebra?
Geometry really is just a matter of remembering laws and formulas. It's pretty much hit or miss, but it's hit for most. The algebra is really pretty basic in honors geometry (which I'm assuming is the same thing as Pre-AP) if I remember correctly- you really shouldn't have any trouble. If you're lucky, you'll even be able to use your notes on tests like I did. (God that was the simplest class I've ever taken because of that.)

Red Hawk One

Smash Apprentice
We are currently not at liberty to divulge that in
Given f(x)= ((x^2+2x+1)/(x))-3
1. Find the inverse
2. Prove f^-1(x) is a function
3. find the vertical, horizontal, and slant asymtopes.

I'm having a little trouble with proving/disproving the inverse as a function, as well as finding how the -3 (or any other numbers outside the fraction) affect the asymptotes in rational expressions with a slant asymptote.

Thanks in advance for any tips. My pre-cal/trig class has a test on this in two days.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
You may have trouble proving #2, Red Hawk, because that function's inverse is not a function. And since it's not a function, you can't express it as such. Unless your teacher wants you to write the parameterize the inverse for #1, it doesn't really have an answer. Or at the very least is an unfair question.

In order to find the inverse of a function, you just swap X and Y. If you've got a graphing calculator, plot it.

You can use an example as a proof of something not being a function. Clearly, for example, when f(x) = 2, x can be either ~2.61 or ~.381. Thus it is not a function.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
How does multiplying two negative numbers give you a positive product, I just can't see the logical reasoning behind it...

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
I'll attempt it.. but I'm not sure lol

Negative = opposite

So, negative x negative is the opposite of a negative.. which is a positive.

I'm sure Dan can give you a more legitimate answer.

psicicle

Smash Ace
ehh that explanation doesn't explain addition, where the negative is kept

O yeah for the other topic, I think in general the AP courses in high school are junky- AP calculus is not at all rigorous (they don't even do the epsilon-delta definition of a limit!), AP chemistry was pretty much memorization and solving cookie cutter problems (so was calc). I haven't done physics yet, but I will be doing physics C. But I looked over the curriculum and I don't knmow how they will stretch out the topics to a year-long course. When I saw mechanics I was hoping to see like lagrangians and hamiltonians and symmetries, which would indeed make the course pretty hard. Oh well.

Top Bottom