• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need HELP with SSBB tournament at school! :)

koijeibl

Smash Rookie
Ok, PleasE just read what I have to say:psycho: long story short, there is going to be a SSBB tournament held at my school on Monday, and I signed up. But, the problem is, I haven't played SSBB forever! and I wasn't that good at it before:urg: and now I changed my main character to Mr Game and Watch, and I'm not that good with him. I've never been in a tournament like this before, so are there any hints/tips you guys could please provide me? Thanks so much if anyone could help me.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
This is definitely a question you should ask at the G&W boards. They're far better at this. Seriously.

msott47

Smash Rookie
Ok first i would like to warn you that people will complain like crazy and flame you like i dont know what if you spam. Do not use a move 3 times in a row. 2 is ok but 3 is not. MR.GAME can have a great advanage if you know how to use him. When you hold his A ---> when someone has at least 76% damage then you are more that likely to kill him. Most important is to just have fun. If you loose then just train more and become better that everyone else.

Ørion

Smash Ace
Well, ordinarily I would suggest looking up ATs and strategies, both normal and game-and-watch specific, but given your time crunch, stick to game-and-watch techniques, there are probably guides on how to play him. Just an FYI though, you're not going to get amazingly good in a few days, it takes months and years of constant practice to get really good.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
SSBB tournament at school? ****, I wish I went to your school. Most of the kids I know have never heard of Smash...

Firesoul1

Smash Apprentice
you may need to play with mind games since G&W is fragile.
also be cautious when planning for an attack.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Learn to DI. G&W is powerfull, but he's llight. With DI, you can llive forever.

Some more tips:

Airdodge forever....
Spam attacks...
Use dair when there's no flloor bellow you...
Relly on Judge (sideB)...
Whiff Smash attacks to the fullest potentiall...

And don't do the five things I just mentioned.

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
You get to play smash......at SCHOOL!?!?!?

Lucky

Edit: Ack.....Commander beat me to the punch.

kr3wman

Smash Master
I'm organizing at tournament like that. I have to wait for the Student council to get elected tho... Just to pass the time and own some scrubs lol.

On topic :

BASIC MK STRAT 101

Just pick meta knight and abuse the hell out of the tornado until you can D-smash for the kill. Always point your control stick toward your opponent and press A to refresh the tornado and the D-smash. Go for gimps. Be aggressive. Should work against most people.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
I'm organizing at tournament like that. I have to wait for the Student council to get elected tho... Just to pass the time and own some scrubs lol.

On topic :

BASIC MK STRAT 101

Just pick meta knight and abuse the hell out of the tornado until you can D-smash for the kill. Always point your control stick toward your opponent and press A to refresh the tornado and the D-smash. Go for gimps. Be aggressive. Should work against most people.
-sigh- i posted this at the MKboards. some kid at a tourney actually used this tactic! like wth. I main mk and i barely used tornado

anyways, for ur school tourney, u shud read G&W guide, watch some youtube videos, practice, ect. nothin else more you can do

Rh1thmz

Smash Journeyman
Pick Meta Knight. =P
Lawl...

If you're playing with items, then you can use anyone you want. Items screw things up enough so you can do that>.> If you're playing without items, then I commend your school =p But I bet that your tourney is playing with items on, so I wouldn't be able to take it seriously, honestly...

Anyways, go to G&W boards. Read their guide(s). Put those newly-learned skills to use and play some people. Watch vids of really good G&W's. Take those battles and learn from them. Etc...just do the usual stuff.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Actually, a number of schools play with items off, even in 4man FFAs.

I've been to 2 schools, I obviously have friends, and they play w/o items as well.

Chances are if they're holding a Smash tourney at school, someone is there to win. You have to play for real.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Assuming the opponents aren't good, you can probably win by just using Mr. Game & Watch's back aerial a lot. It's really funny how bad players just fall to pieces completely unable to answer it.

Also, in terms of what not to do, NEVER use Judgment Hammer, and use Chef very rarely. Judgment Hammer could always be replaced with a better, reliable move; the horrible range and speed don't mix well with the honestly really low chance of the hit doing anything but sucking. Chef is extremely punishable; don't try to use it to approach or when they are in any situation to approach you as it will just get you hit. An example of a good time to use it would be to pressure them from the main platform of Green Greens when they are on the far platform. A good example of a bad time to use it would be on Final Destination when you both are on the stage (it's a mediocre ledgeguard too so you probably just won't use it at all on that stage).

I don't know what stage rules your school is using. The best fair stages for Mr. Game & Watch are Green Greens, Norfair, and Port Town Aero Dive in my experience, but unfair stages could help you quite a bit. If they allow Skyworld, counterpick it against guys like Olimar with poor recovery and laugh as your down throw spikes through clouds. If they allow Pirate Ship, spend as much of the match as possible in the water and try to abuse the invincibility of the up special and their limited options in handling the key in the water. Mr. Game & Watch doesn't have much he needs to avoid stage-wise; Mario Circuit is his only actually significantly bad stage that has any reasonable chance of being allowed.

Speaking of the down throw, down throw to down smash is a guaranteed hit against much of the cast if your opponent sucks and doesn't tech the down throw. If they are a heavier character or don't suck, you might have to use some tech chasing out of that; up smash is good if you can get away with it, but players very familiar with it will not be hit and maybe punish you. In that case, dash attack, down tilt, and just running up and stopping to punish the spotdodge are going to be what you need to do.

Top Bottom