• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help choosing a main

WhiteKnight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stealthfox2
Hi guys
im still stuck on what character i should main in smash 4
after going through and playing the characters a couple times I found that I really like :4fox:,:4diddy:,:4villager:,:4marth:,:4duckhunt:

my playstyle is really air oriented, and leans more defensive than aggresive.

Thanks!

WhiteKnight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stealthfox2
forgot about peach :4peach: XD

any help would be greatly appreciated

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
Air orientated? Lucario. All of his aerials are great moves and you gotta love that passive aura. I'm also gonna say Marth since you mained him in melee and brawl, just get some more practice in.

WhiteKnight

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stealthfox2
even tho he was my main, i still dont have much idea about the character
up until pm i never really played competitively

my strategy with marth was literally jumping fairs and bairs

Last edited:

Cheezy23

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cheezy23
I'd say if you're air oriented, Peach is probably your best option. Dat fair...and her float.
I don't know much about the character, but she can literally FLY. So I'd use her XD

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Work on that Marth then.

Fox is a more aggressive character, and your defensive lean as you say might be more for Marth than Fox. Villager is pretty good to work on as is Duck Hunt.

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
As a Villager/Lucina (pretty much Marth) and a Peach secondary, let me try to explain the characters best as I can.

:4villagerf:

Pros-
  • Strong air game (f-air, b-air)
  • Can be played defensively but is capable of switching to offense
  • Mind games (Tree)
  • Projectile user and defender (Pocket, Loid Rocket)
  • Really useful customs if you use them
  • Turnip Spike kills, the hypest of all.
  • B-Throw kills around 100%
Cons-
  • Has trouble when people get up close
  • Loid Rocket is easily avoidable against smart opponents
:4lucina:/:4marth:

Pros-
  • Strong spacing game
  • F-Airs and B-Airs are great for aerial play
  • Good tilts
  • Typically offensive, but a Marth/Lucina can play defense with spacing
  • D-Air spike
  • F-Smash is a reliable kill move, and has okay range
Cons-
  • No projectiles, making it hard to approach projectile users
  • Recovery leaves room for improvement (in my opinion)
  • Range on the sword isn't as good as it was (some say this is good, I'm not sure)
:4peach:

Pros-
  • Strong aerial game with the float
  • Good aerials (F-Air, B-Air, Up Air)
  • A more defensive Peach than in previous Smash games
  • F-Smash reflects (some) projectiles
  • Mind Games with floats, and turnips.
Cons-
  • Side special isn't very good, highly predictable
  • Up special is predictable, easily punishable (Except for the hitbox on top)
  • Hard to master
  • Turnips are a pain to see in the heat of a battle, pulling a Stitchface is great, but you won't always know which turnip is in hand,
Sorry for the long post, but that's all I got. If you decide to pick up one of these, you'll probably see me a lot on the character boards. Whoever you choose, just be sure to like them. (I wouldn't be playing WFT if I didn't like her style)

Last edited:

hype machine

Smash Journeyman
I suggest going diddy kong. His Down throw game is amazing you can connect it to aerials at almost any percent to any character. its Even a kill move. Not only that his bananas are really solid at making openings for punishments. I suggest watching Zero Play Diddy and try studying his playstyle, hes's literally unstoppable and wins every tournament he goes to

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hi guys
im still stuck on what character i should main in smash 4
after going through and playing the characters a couple times I found that I really like :4fox:,:4diddy:,:4villager:,:4marth:,:4duckhunt:

my playstyle is really air oriented, and leans more defensive than aggresive.

Thanks!
Okay, let's see... air oriented and defensive...

:4fox:- Maybe. Fox is a fast faller so staying in the air is pretty hard for him. He has great aerials though but they shine more when he's chasing opponents rather than straight out going after them. As for being defensive, it can work but more as reactionary versus being defense oriented like a lot of Zelda/ROB players. Fox has a lot of great options for punishes so if you want to take that approach to being defensive, he's one of the better picks in the game.

:4diddy:- Yes. Diddy's pretty versatile in this game so he can be aggressive or defensive. Great aerials and a solid off stage game, not to mention one of the most reliable aerial combo set ups with his dthrow. Even with its nerf in this game, the banana is still a great tool for stage control which leads to a good number of defensive strategies.

:4villager:- Yes. Villager has a lot of great defensive options. The tree, the pocket, and the lloid rocket all have great defensive possibilities and his aerials also give him a very satisfying aerial, off stage, and edge game too. As a Villager main, I feel like Villager does a fantastic job of pissing off people just enough to make them come to you, especially with his teeth grindingly long range of his fair and bair. He also does a good job at trumping other defensive characters and those that try to force stage control. ROB's gyro? Pocket it. Bowser Jr's mecha koopa? Pocket it. Diddy's banana? Pocket it. The pocket also leads to trump card defensive situations that can easily KO opponents or even break the shields of opponents. Pocket fully charged projectiles or even reflected rockets/chopped trees for the smug satisfaction that you can easily knock off a stock as low as 30/40 percent with a little strategy.

:4marth:- No. Like Fox, I feel like the best Marths are more reactionary than defensive. He received an almost comical amount of nerfs in this game which further emphasizes the important of his spacing game and he doesn't have a lot of defensive options against good projectiles. Marth is at his best with his keep away game and then capitalizing on mistakes that other players make. If people get in close on him, he can be fairly easily be overwhelmed so you have to learn how to turn the tables fast if people get in your face. With Marth, you're more than likely in a bind if you're constantly defensive with him. His aerial options (especially his approaches and off stage game) are still pretty decent but, again, these best come out when Marth takes advantage of openings.

:4duckhunt:- No. Even though he has stupidly good defensive options, his air game isn't that great. With his tricky projectiles and smash attacks, he's better off grounded unless opportunities open up like a quick dthrow to fair or uair. Playing Duck Hunt in the air isn't as bad as, say, Little Mac, but, like Little Mac, his capabilities on the ground far exceed those in the air.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
If you want to be hated, main Diddy. <.< It seems that everyone just whines when one uses Diddy.
If you want to be more unique and want a challenge, main Villager as he is seldom used skillfully.

But honestly, just use all of them in For Glory a couple of times and which ever character gives you the best results, main said character.

I personally would main Fox within your list if I had to choose. xD

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
if you play defensive and like aerials, maybe give wario a try if you havent already

m0ll0y

Smash Cadet
If you practice alot with fox he has a ton of potential but , its pretty hard to be defensive all game with him .
Maybe try peach , i played around with her a little and she still can combo decently , and you can surprise opponents pretty easily .

Vic

Smash Cadet
NNID
victimer3
From your list and preferred playstyle I'd have to suggest you try picking up :4diddy:, :4peach:, or :4villager:. Since you said air game is your jam these guys should be right up your alley.

poomonkey14

Smash Rookie
I, personally am a Fox main.

I would recommend Fox as a primary because he plays very aggressive and is good in the air, and just generally fun to play.
Diddy might be a close second, though.

Top Bottom