• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help beating Samus (SOLVED)

Paradoxium

Smash Master
ive been playing on dolphin netplay, and most characters i face i have a decent time against, except samus

Honestly, every samus player ive played has played defensively, and if you ever get the chance top see me play im and an offensive, balls deep kinda player, i prefer to charge in and chase you down. When these 2 play styles collide it is not pretty.

basically my problem is when Samus is at range, you have to dodge against a wall of missiles and charge shots, and when you finally get up close, a downsmash sends you off the stage, or an fsmash sends you back to square one, it is not fun at all to play, and its like the only match up i that i honestly struggle in.

but that is not the last of it, her recovery is really good, she usually always makes it back, she is just very hard to kill and fight, and its frustrating when your opponent goes cheap as hell, i now understand why players such as hungrybox are hated so much, playing against a defensive and cheap play style is very infuriating.

not only that, but the lag also screws me up sometimes, playing as pika with that lag makes it difficult to time everything correctly, so i usually just go in as gnw because he doesn't really need precision due to his weird hit boxes

I know i should include footage in this, but im unsure of how to record on dolphin, when i find out how ill post some vids

*Disclaimer*
im not trying to say "omg, Samus OP! NERF NERF NERF!* I know i can overcome this match up, i just need help

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
What character do you play? The way to beat Samus changes a lot depending on the character you're using.

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
start talking about "the baby"

trust me it works

Paradoxium

Smash Master
What character do you play? The way to beat Samus changes a lot depending on the character you're using.
I main pika, but over wifi I have picked up gnw and have been wrecking with him, I have also been playing as link

One thing I should say though, is that I can face samus fine with link, but only if I play cheap and gimmicky

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I was about to say. Link beats Samus in Melee, so it should still be a manageable match-up in P:M for him. But you do have to camp. If you don't like that, then I don't really know what to say. If you want to win, play to win. Sometimes that means camping.

For Pikachu, you have to be a little bit more aware of positioning. Samus can't put out a missile safely without jumping first, and when she jumps that's a really good time to get under her and usmash, sh uair, maybe sneak in a nair if it's possible. These are really viable options from just outside of her poking range for Pikachu, so what you want to do is dash dance right around where your effective range meets her poking range so she won't be able to throw missiles out safely. This will force her to have to play the poking game. You might be able to bait out a bad ftilt and time a shffld nair to punish it, but be wary of CCing if this is your strat. Ideally, you can bait out something really laggy and land a grab to put her above you.

Once you've worked her up to about 90-100%, she should be dying to usmash.

JerkPhil

Smash Journeyman
This may not apply to PM as much as it does to Melee, but Samus' grab is really slow. I've noticed I've got some problems with my opponent running at me and just shield and react to my move. The grab comes out at frame 18 in Melee, so you can practically react to it. I don't know the frames in PM.
Other than that, Samus has an easier time when the opponent is approaching as she's not the fastest character.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
ive been playing on dolphin netplay, and most characters i face i have a decent time against, except samus
Are you in the #dolphin-ProjectM IRC channel? If so, you should play against Bidoof. He plays Samus and Mr. Game & Watch, and his Game & Watch is what convinced me that Samus's match-up against him is disadvantageous. He should be able to give you good advice.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Step 1-Choose Marth
Step 2-Make it past missiles until you reach samus
Step 3-dd or wd and avoid the fsmash/dsmash
Step 4-Grab and throw into the air
Step 5-GG

When someone plays gimmicky, there is always one fatal flaw in there gameplay, it was just a matter of figuring it out

thanks guys

Litt

Samus
Step 1-Choose Marth
Step 5-GG

When someone plays gimmicky, there is always one fatal flaw in there gameplay, it was just a matter of figuring it out

thanks guys
Ok.. for a person who is talking about gimmicks to win... isnt grab into up throw to juggle samus just one gimmick... you are doing the exact thing you dislike for an easy win and being a hypocrite at that... If you want to beat a samus, learn the match up, space better, and just play better dude

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Ok.. for a person who is talking about gimmicks to win... isnt grab into up throw to juggle samus just one gimmick... you are doing the exact thing you dislike for an easy win and being a hypocrite at that... If you want to beat a samus, learn the match up, space better, and just play better dude
lol, if a samus player wants to play gimmicky against me, ill give them a taste of there own medicine. Nothing is more satisfying than beating them at there own game.

Now please answer this question- how do you beat a gimmicky player? When there is one fatal flaw in their gameplay, wouldn't you abuse it?

And don't take me for some kind of cheap scrub, do you know the amount of time i put into taking down a character like Samus?
I have re-watched countless replays i have saved, and i have watched numerous melee Samus matches, ive devoted a lot of time into over coming this roadblock.

This is how i came to my conclusion

Since i knew from afar he would shoot missiles, i just sprinted up to him while rolling past his projectiles, once i reached him i knew he would throw out a dsmash, or he would wd back and fsmash. So at this point i knew i had to bait it out of him, so i mixed dd with wd and would grab when i saw an opening, and once i got him a simple up throw is all it took, then he was done. And the funny part was he never adapted to my new playstyle the way i adapted to his, he kept trying to win using his gimmicky playstyle, it was easily predictable and punishable. I simply found the best option and used it.

And let me be clear

I LEARNED THE MATCH-UP

your not giving me enough credit, i picked apart his playstyle as well as i picked apart mine, he played cheap and defensive, all it took for me to win was patience. I just waited for the opening.

Believe me my friend, i AM playing better

Litt

Samus
Apparently you are not... samus is not a person, she is a CHARACTER... and since she is a character there are a billion different ways to play her. You did not learn a match up my friend, you learned a play style and how to counter it. Sometimes the best way to beat a campy samus, like the one you are describing, is to be patient, powersheild her missiles or just hit them alway with titls, and wait for samus to come to you. You are posting on the wrong board for help and you are asking all the wrong questions. Really think about the game and maybe you will understand.

Litt

Samus
As for playing "Gimmicky", each character can only use what was given to them... if you consider... ANYTHING in this game a gimmick, it is because you are too inexperienced to understand what the opponent is trying to do with their character. Marth is a very standard character... a sword and what the player can do with it, dont cry on other boards because Marth was not given projectiles. Use your brain, to figure out how to use that sword in the best possible way to get a win, if grabs and up throws work on that one samus, gratz on actually thinking, instead of getting frustrated and stop playing.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Apparently you are not... samus is not a person, she is a CHARACTER... and since she is a character there are a billion different ways to play her. You did not learn a match up my friend, you learned a play style and how to counter it. Sometimes the best way to beat a campy samus, like the one you are describing, is to be patient, powersheild her missiles or just hit them alway with titls, and wait for samus to come to you. You are posting on the wrong board for help and you are asking all the wrong questions. Really think about the game and maybe you will understand.
I didn't learn the match-up? WHAT!!!!

What i've learned is that samus has to rely on certain aspects to thrive. From what ive witnessed, From a distance Samus has the ability to barrage you with projectiles, why would any Samus player not do it? So its safe to Say that every Samus player will snipe you from afar,

Good. That is one Strategy that i have seen EVERY Samus player do, and it is effective, it forces an approach.

Now what i have also noticed is that Samus on ground is very dangerous, she has a very fast/long wavedash, she CAN approach if the player chooses to do so, but ive learned that an approaching Samus is at a DISADVANTAGE, her missiles work from afar, but how bout up close? Marth has a very strict ZONING game, there is a danger bubble around marth where HE CAN GET YOU BUT YOU CANT GET HIM. Truth is the wind up and cool down of the missiles gives Marth enough time to throw out a fair, if perfectly spaced you can hit Samus with the very tip of the sword, and when full hopping you can follow it up with another fair. (If somehow the Samus is able to shield your fair, if spaced correctly, short hopped, fast falled, and l cancelled, you should be safe from anything Samus can throw at you out of shield), after fair the follow up could be a grab(more favorable) or a nair/fair. Fair MUST BE SPACED, Crouch Cancel d-tilt is a favorite amongst Samus players ive noticed. F-tilt is safer, its range allows for a safe poke, although the drawback is lack of follow ups. Ideally if you are closer to the ground than Samus the best option would be WD u'tilt, once she's in the air, marth has SO MANY options against Samus, she cant do anything.But, wd u'tilt can be dangerous, this is not a move to throw out all the time. Another option for approach is WD down tilt, it can be followed up, its fast, and its a good mix up.

Ive learned that Samus's air mobility is strictly for combo purposes, she cant put on pressure with shffling, that's just asking to die. She has to get close via the ground in order to get you, so you lock down anything she can do, the second she dives in for an attack a well placed grab out of dash dance is all it will take, so it basically comes down to MIND GAMES at this point
When will Samus make her move? When can i throw out that grab? This is when it comes down to the PLAYERS, the mind games at this point are crucial, if the grab misses Marth is toast, Samus can wd f-smash the baited out grab, and if marth is locked in hit stun she can shoot a missile or power blast and it will surly hit, so long as marth is in the air.

Ive also learned that marths combo strings in the air are damn near IMPOSSIBLE for Samus to escape, his u'air stings lead to fairs, which lead to Ken combo's. If it cant finish with a Ken combo an fsmash will do the job. BUT, ive learned that against Samus an fsmash should only be used when Samus is slightly off the ground, When she is grounded she can avoid it quite easily, and punish accordingly, so Fsmash on a grounded Samus is a big no no, UNLESS i get a solid read off a tech roll, or a baited fsmash.

Ive also learned that Samus ALWAYS makes it back, there is no way around it. The only way to K.O. her is to SPIKE or FSMASH, and if she is really damaged an utilt will work too. Ive never dared venture off the edge to try and take her down, the lag on netplay makes it too dangerous, so i let Samus grab the ledge, but now she has LIMITED options that marth can easily lock down. If she decides to Fair onto the stage, wave land, or tech roll, marth can easily grab her, if she decides to jump, you can juggle, as you can see the mind games also play a big roll in this situation, a miss prediction could be the end for marth.

Ive also learn the it is not ok to be on a platform above samus, fair in particular is a nasty move, not only that, but she can also break out with nair. uair has the same nastiness as fair, and bair is a fast, strong ko move that i find is very dangerous when i go for air approaches, ive also found that her dair is often miss used, it is easily shield gradable. all in all she has very excellent air moves, what s holding her back is her air mobility. Ive found that in order to beat Samus you need to respect the power on her air moves, just because she is in the air does not mean she is obsolete.

Samus's grab is a joke, unless she somehow gets you. d throw into super charged shot is gg. It really only hits on solid reads though. But really this move kinda sucks, it is very punishable.

Ive found that Samus can be VERY dangerous, when there is a point when Samus forces a reaction out of you with her missiles.
For example
A missile comes my way, i roll forward to get closer to Samus while avoiding the missile, the second i come out of the invincibility from the roll, i can be shot with a charged blast, grabbed, smashed, tilted, or abused in any other way Samus can think of

and if samus gets a successful bait, as with most characters she can make the most out of it.

Another dangerous aspect i have found is her charge shot, its potency seeps through every aspect of her moveset. She can blast you with it off of nearly ANY HIT, it is a move that everyone should be keeping tabs on.

Ive tried my hardest to beat Samus players, and i have succeeded. I'm not even sure if everything i have said is 100% accurate, but it has been working for me, if there are better options out there i will gladly take them, if someone finds a way to beat me, ill just keep on adapting, i have a determination to make it over every road block in my way.

As for playing "Gimmicky", each character can only use what was given to them... if you consider... ANYTHING in this game a gimmick, it is because you are too inexperienced to understand what the opponent is trying to do with their character. Marth is a very standard character... a sword and what the player can do with it, dont cry on other boards because Marth was not given projectiles. Use your brain, to figure out how to use that sword in the best possible way to get a win, if grabs and up throws work on that one samus, gratz on actually thinking, instead of getting frustrated and stop playing.
I consider "Gimmicky" to be when one does not use there character to there potential, and instead rely on repetitive tactics that only involve a small portion of the characters move set, in other words, when someone plays CHEAP/SPAMMY.

i am not what you would call "inexperienced." I've also been on this site longer than you have, and at this point your probably going to pull up the old bull**** excuse "IVE BEEN A LURKER ON THIS SITE FOR LIKE 2 YEARS BRA." And if your wondering, i only lurked on this site for a few months before joining, before that i was into melee, i could do the techs and i watched competitive melee, i just didn't play competitively.. I'm not whining about anything, i was just requesting help, and when everyone said Samus sucks in the air i thought of the best character for juggles, Marth. And who is also one of the best characters for tech chasing? Marth. Who also has the upper hand in the games of footsies? Marth. The list goes on, but Marth was the clear winner for a character who i could easily take down Samus with. and after overcoming her with marth, my GnW can now do the same(although without that grab range things are a bit more difficult).

I never once whined about my Characters not being good enough, and like i said in the op

*Disclaimer*
im not trying to say "omg, Samus OP! NERF NERF NERF!* I know i can overcome this match up, i just need help
I believe all the characters in this game have the tools they need to thrive, its just a matter of figuring it out. I was just requesting help from those who know more about Samus than I. Im not as inexperienced as you say i am, and i DO understand this game.

Please tell me, what are you trying to prove to me

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Not proving anything to you dude, it looks like you read the metagame from a melee thread. Of course samus is going to spam to try and make you approach, but you do not have to do so. You have figured out the basics of the character but you do not understand what it means to play the game. You sound like M2K right now finding out the best counter pick to a character just to get a w instead of playing for fun and just out playing your opponent both mentally and in tech skill. If all you care about is a W... why not just play a "gimmicky" like samus... Anyway, there are no gimmicks in this game, just what a character can and cant do, if you dont like it, then dont complain and play a different game... Some characters are given moves that are not as viable in competitive play as others, so the moveset is limited, it does not mean they are gimmicky, it just means they are limited as to the potential of the character.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I'm glad you found a way to beat Samus. That's definitely one legit strat, though. Marth hard counters Samus's missiles, and pretty much can't touch the ground once Marth has her in the air.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Not proving anything to you dude, it looks like you read the metagame from a melee thread. Of course samus is going to spam to try and make you approach, but you do not have to do so. You have figured out the basics of the character but you do not understand what it means to play the game. You sound like M2K right now finding out the best counter pick to a character just to get a w instead of playing for fun and just out playing your opponent both mentally and in tech skill. If all you care about is a W... why not just play a "gimmicky" like samus... Anyway, there are no gimmicks in this game, just what a character can and cant do, if you dont like it, then dont complain and play a different game... Some characters are given moves that are not as viable in competitive play as others, so the moveset is limited, it does not mean they are gimmicky, it just means they are limited as to the potential of the character.
Of course i play the game for fun, but i also play to win. These are not mutually exclusive options, you can do both. And when you go to a tournament, I'm sure most people there want to win, because it is a COMPETITION! And you know what, i find it fun to go out and show everyone what i'm made of, I've sat down and practiced my piano for hours on end until i could play the song perfectly, i had a lot of fun going on the big stage and showing everyone what hours worth of hard practice can accomplish, i treat smash the same way. I like to go out and prove to myself i can do things that i never thought were possible. I not only have an understanding of how the game works, but i also have an understanding of how to play it, and the only way to be good is to have creativity, often times the worst options can be the best options, which is why we have mix'ups.

Don't dismiss my skill, i have already stated that i can now beat Samus with GnW, and im currently in the process of accomplishing it with Pikachu. Marth was the character i needed to learn, now i can go back to the characters I've chosen. And i beat Samus because i outplayed my opponents, i no longer have to use the 5 step system to beat Samus, now i just know the match-up.

And all the information i learned about Samus, i obtained through experience, in other words i got it all by myself. I have never been to the melee Samus threads, ever. You do not give me enough credit.

it just means they are limited as to the potential of the character.
WRONG

do not let ANYBODY tell you that you are limited to the potential of your character, the potential of the character is limited by the PLAYER.

And let me be clear,
I do not care about the meta-game
I do not care about counter-picks
I do not care about favorable match-ups
I do not care about tier lists

to me, these things are all just excuses
if i lost its because i wasn't good enough

I'm out to pave my own road, not take the lane already paved for me, if you can't understand that than i truly feel sorry for you, because THAT is what it means to have an understanding for the game.

Litt

Samus

And let me be clear,

I'm out to pave my own road, not take the lane already paved for me, if you can't understand that than i truly feel sorry for you, because THAT is what it means to have an understanding for the game.[/quote]
WTF... marth is a counter pick to samus and apparently so I game and watch... you clearly do care about tier list otherwise you wouldnt have picked to play a "non-gimmicky" character... you make absolutely no sense and contradict yourself constantly. I'm done here

Paradoxium

Smash Master
WTF... marth is a counter pick to samus and apparently so I game and watch... you clearly do care about tier list otherwise you wouldnt have picked to play a "non-gimmicky" character... you make absolutely no sense and contradict yourself constantly. I'm done here
The amount of words you've managed to spout out of your asshole is just baffling.

Ive been playing GnW. Marth, and Pika since the dawn of time. i rotate regularly between them, its called maining multiple characters, and since id been having trouble with Samus i decided to place my bets on the character i was most comfortable with in facing Samus with, that was Marth. I did not pick them specifically to counter Samus, Ive been playing them since melee(except for GnW, been playing him since 2.1). I picked these characters because they were the ones i felt at home with, they had the most appealing playstyles and i did the best with them. Stop making stupid assumptions about me and stop insulting me

And ive noticed that on a thread requesting help, you haven't offered any yourself, because you probably don't have the skill or understanding to do so. At this point i know your full of ****, you try and act like you know what your talking about and you try and act like your good at the game but in reality, your not.

And i didnt say characters were gimmicky, i said PLAYERS were, there is a difference dumbass

I'm done here, i came here requesting help for facing Samus, and i accomplished it, i do not understand why you are so against it,

What ****ing point are you trying to make? just ****ing say it

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer

And let me be clear,

I'm out to pave my own road, not take the lane already paved for me, if you can't understand that than i truly feel sorry for you, because THAT is what it means to have an understanding for the game.
Why are you so touchy? I mean fine he doesn't share the same opinion as you dude, no need to crucify him and get up on his grill.

Litt

Samus
youtube my name you scrub and find out before mouthing off to a much better player than yourself

Litt

Samus
Why are you so touchy? I mean fine he doesn't share the same opinion as you dude, no need to crucify him and get up on his grill.
Oh dude i didnt write that, he did, the quote thing got messed up when I tried to shorten his way too long message

Vashimus

Smash Master
Good Lord, you're both annoying.

Marth is definitely the best character to deal with Samus out of the three you use, Paradoxium. Missiles don't bother him that much, and Samus has a hard time dealing with those damn fairs.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
youtube my name you scrub and find out before mouthing off to a much better player than yourself
LMAO

i youtubed your name, all i found was a shitty Samus player

And now i know why your so upset at me, because this is probably all it will take to beat you
Step 1-Choose Marth
Step 5-GG
This is stupid, someone plz lock this

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
I am cackling endlessly

the kid who beats his friends once and bets he'll be the next M2K in no time is still real

Litt

Samus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ktUDbRgCOA Hmmmmm... Placed 9th a RoM for teams... and held my own against Reno and Cactar.... also 2nd round of winners I did play M2K... 1 stocked and 2 stocked... I lost, not gonna beat him any time soon, but you scrubs need to still watch majors and learn who is who.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I am cackling endlessly

the kid who beats his friends once and bets he'll be the next M2K in no time is still real
Nah I'm no m2k, I'm not even tryna be the best at Smash, I just hate losing. And the Samus's I faced were multiple different people over netplay, and in real life.

Stop being a shit for dick and acting like your so high and mighty, you left a comment that contributes to nothing in this thread, but hey, i guess that's what happens when you take bait

Litt

Samus
Nah I'm no m2k, I'm not even tryna be the best at Smash, I just hate losing. And the Samus's I faced were multiple different people over netplay, and in real life.

Stop being a shit for dick and acting like your so high and mighty, you left a comment that contributes to nothing in this thread, but hey, i guess that's what happens when you take bait
Paradox... i know you arent the brightest, but Canon was talking to me.....

Litt

Samus
WAIT THIS **** IS FOR NETPLAY!?!??! WHO THE HELL EVEN PLAYS OVER WIFI, **** IS SO LAGGY AND SLOW... GO PLAY PEOPLE IRL AND LEARN MATCH UPS FOR REAL

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Paradox... i know you arent the brightest, but Canon was talking to me.....
That moment where someone was describing someone else and you thought it was yourself

WAIT THIS **** IS FOR NETPLAY!?!??! WHO THE HELL EVEN PLAYS OVER WIFI, **** IS SO LAGGY AND SLOW... GO PLAY PEOPLE IRL AND LEARN MATCH UPS FOR REAL
It was over Dolphin Netplay, where the Lag is reduced to be actually bearable, sometimes you get little to no lag, its definitely a legit place to train.

And i also played people in real life you know

Litt

Samus
ASK ANY QUALITY PLAYER... THEY WILL LAUGH IN YOUR FACE IF YOU SAY IT IS A LEGIT PLACE TO TRAIN

Kati

Smash Lord
You can tell KLit is right because he took the time to capitalize every letter.

Litt

Samus
you can tell KLit is right... by asking any tournament level smasher...

GeZ

Smash Lord
This thread is 3good5me. Send help.

This is also grudge match territory.

Now you both have to show up wearing shirts that say fraud, and use either Ken, or Isai, as your tag. Bet your houses on the game. Get mlg endorsements.

Litt

Samus
well... my name is actually ken... :O surpirse ending....

Paradoxium

Smash Master
C.Falcon ditto grudge match

Rules
Must be played on Big Blue
Time sent to infinite
Bombs enabled and set to high
Speed set to fast
Damage set to 300%
Lives set to 99

How bout it noob?

Top Bottom