• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help against link

BLUX

Smash Cadet
i have no idea what to do against link. boost ball is too slow to get under his barrage of projectiles and if i get knocked offstage that useally means i'm dead. http://www.twitch.tv/expgamingil/b/492729055 at 6:44:00 I fight Harry the Chin and the whole time i could not tell what the best option to do was. so is there anyone out there who knows some good strategy against link? or is the match-up so bad i should just go dedede (i know what to do in this match-up)?

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Z-air goes through everything. If he starts pulling back an arrow, hit him with it. Boost Ball has enough priority to clank with his tilts, sets up for kills, and it's tricky to read, so it's an excellent option at neutral. Don't be afraid to counterpick flat stages. Platforms work for Samus when your opponent is off the stage or you're trying to zone them out, but they're also a huge drawback because she has a difficult time defending herself while she's airborne.

Kati

Smash Lord
You did the two things I was going to suggest at the beginning of the second match: zair and up tilt, but then the match reset... I didn't see those used very much during the first and third (or official second) matches. Upsmash definitely wasn't working when Link was on a platform as it only skimmed him and left you open. I haven't played against Link yet mind you. Bombing while on stage generally didn't seem to help, and attempting all those swd just wasted follow ups (I understand that it is too tempting).

Regarding the boost ball, what I saw worked, so I would have to agree with Serris. But definitely employ the zair more to cut through his barrage.

Lastly, remember that even if you don't need the extra distance that bomb jumping provides, it can give you more breathing room before committing to a recovery option. I don't really see the point in dropping a single bomb multiple times while recovering as it is slow and could become easily readable. With the bomb jump, you can wiggle in order to evade his pesky projectiles.

It was an entertaining set, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

BLUX

Smash Cadet
thanks for all the feedback. i will now exact my revenge

Last edited:

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
I saw the Link player making a bunch of stupid edge guarding tactics, like jumping way out there trying to hit you and then up B to the ledge. You had the right idea on your tether to try to gimp him for coming out that far, but you got hit every time in trying to do it. Remember how long zair recovery is, if in both instances you instead air dodged away from the ledge before zair, you would not have been hit, possibly getting a gimp in the process. Even if he barely made it back on stage, his up b has enough lag that you could return to stage with a dair into utilt or something.

Other thing was you overused usmash when he was on a platform above you, the move is much better than it ever has been probably, but it is still a very unsafe move. I think you would have benefited more in using fair, utilt, uair, or nair in those situations. Also avoid having Link under you as much as possible. You tried dair in so many situations which got you punished, I only saw one of them actually pay off. The other thing is you weren't afraid to land on or try dropping through platforms when he was directly under you. I would try to avoid that as much as possible, or learn how to shield drop if you really want to punish his utilt or usmash. But even then you'd want to limit how often you do this.

This definitely is a very hard matchup though, seeing how he has such a fast grab which works against most of Samus' normal jabbing and spacing gameplay. Still, you managed to find a bunch of situations where you were able to use dtilt, which is good. Be careful on your spacing of that move though, there was an example in that match I'm thinking of where dtilt too close will get you punished, whereas if you used something like the crawl attack in that instance, you would have been behind him, probably surprising him and allowing you to get a free dsmash.

Top Bottom