• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nana for top tier!

Veggi

Smash Champion
I wanted to play the Ice Climbers because I like their moveset, and one of the costumes with Nana in the lead, however having two of them was too confusing. It was much easier to just kill the other one so I wouldn't get confuzzled. This is a guide for people who don't want to learn how to play as such a wierd character.

How to play as solo Nana or Popo

-On the character select screen, pick the Ice Climbers. Do not be fooled though, you do not actually have to play as two characters at the same time.

-When picking a stage, select one that you can not walk out the sides, if it switches between aerial and grounded it is OK.

-Start the match and immediately run off the edge until you are about 3/4 of the way to the blast zone, then up b torwards the stage. Voila! Your partner dies, much easier now.

Warning: Be careful that no one edgehogs you, so stay close enough to the edge that you fling yourself over edge-hoggers, but far away enough that you still kill your partner.

Racking up the damage

-It is easy to use tilts to rack up damage, the up tilt is useful for juggling.

-Use aerials depending on where the opponent is, bair is the best aerial spacer the Ice Climber has.

-Ftilt and jab are great at spacing, so don't let the opponent get too comfortable.

-Believe it or not it is possible to use repeated down throws to rack up damage.

-Use the Ice Blocks, even if it doesn't do much damage, it still does something.

-Squall Hammer is the easiest to rack damage with, but don't let it get predictable.

-Blizzard can be linked into jab.

Killing the Foe

-Forward Smash is good for killing and is a threat to people approaching.

-Down Smash hits on both sides so you can beat people that roll dodge.

-Up smash is probably the best at killing because it hits on all sides and is more likely to hit people while it's charged.

-Edgeguarding can be used as well as will be explained further.

Edgeguarding

-Ice Blocks will hit people below the edge so you don't have to worry about being gimped there.

-Sit at the edge and forward smash, it hits people depending on if they hit the edge or not.

-Fair has some good power, but it takes some devotion, so use it sparingly.

-Bair can hit easily, but don't try to hit with it twice although it looks temping, you will probably die.

-Footstooling can both kill the opponent and make for an easy recovery.

Warning: Do not edgeguard with dair, you will die.

You must recover!

-Squall Hammer is the best recovery because it has OK horizontal distance.

-Up-b has a tiny bit of distance, so don't forget it exists.

-As a last resort you can foot-stool people. If you do this it is an almost guaranteed recovery, however it is hard to do.

-If someone comes after you, avoid them like the plague and squall hammer above them.

Playing like a jerk
It's lime green because no one likes lime green.

-On any stage with a walk out barrier, try to grab people and throw them out for cheap KO's.

-Find the least skill-based stage you can that people will allow and play on it, but not Rainbow Cruise, it sucks.

-Camp with your Ice Block, it's a terrible projectile, but as long as you have a projectile you have an advantage on people that don't.

Stages

-Castle Siege: Cheap KOs off the sides of the 2nd tier and the slopes and roof makes it easy to camp on the first. The tilting of the 3rd tier makes their recovery more forward smashable as well.

-Delfino Plaza: KO's off walk-offs. You can also harass people in the water with Ice Blocks and make it so they can't get on the main platform with Ice Blocks, jabs, and grabs.

-The Summit: OK, maybe not legal, but you don't slide and you can get people to turn into fish bait and you can stall and camp.

Easier Characters

-Fox because down throw grabbing, and you are hard to do his psuedo-combos on.

-Wolf because he usually gimps himself and you can down throw him alot.

-DK because you can camp him and usually once you get past his giant range it becomes easier.

Harder characters

-Falco because he probably has a zero to spike chain-grab on you that you won't survive. Advice: Take a bunch of his lasers to the face so he can't chain grab you.

-Bowser because if he edgeguards you are pretty much just dead.
Advice: Don't get caught in his firebreath.

-Metaknight because he is really annoying to edgeguard.
Advice: Unplug his controller.

Little Devil

Smash Cadet
I think you should play two ICs until you are a stock up (this should take about one minute^^) and then go on with a single climber. And if you die you´ll be two IC again, take a stock off your enemy, kill one climber, repeat^^

K 2

Smash Lord
I wou;dn't purposely kill my partner, but my opponent usually kills Nana for me. This was an interesting guide...lol

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
this guide is useful for SoPoing if nana gets killed/commits suicide, but you shouldn't just actively kill her.... she's the only one of them that can spike....

Barge

All I want is a custom title
This could only be possibly useful if nana dies in the midst of battle.
Otherwise you pretty much fail for playing solo ice climber.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Wow, nice tips for the sopo play. I wouldn't recommend killing Nana in the match though... Well, maybe if you are attempting to create the biggest mindgame ever...
Lol "Wtf is he doing?"
They'll probably think you're sandbagging them.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Lol "Wtf is he doing?"
They'll probably think you're sandbagging them.
I don't know... This could lead to some things. For example, you have a MK coming at you while you are getting back to the stage. You belay backward, have Nana get killed giving them the thought that you messed up, land on the stage safely, and d-tilt them while they use their last jumps to get back to the stage themselves giving you the cheapest kill ever. ^_^ Just a thought.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Yeah and lets play olimar without pikman!!!epic ideas keep 'em up....not!
Popo can't play very well without his Nana and so does Olimar can't play well witout his Pikmins...
Olimar's lucky though, he gets his Pikmins from a move and in order for Popo to get Nana back, you have to die, maybe even when Nana's about to fall down from the stage, you can bring her way up using Belay to teleport her.
The most similarity though, both Olimar and SoPo have sucky recoveries.

This guide is about playing SoPo or soloing Nana eh? xP

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
I liked the guide :). Having one climber makes the opponent more aggressive and overconfident. I end up getting a lot more grabs in when I'm SoPo though...

SoPo is allowed in some low tier tournaments.

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
Both ICs in teams is not good, Nana/Popo would get ***** to oblivion considering AI. Then you'll be by yourself. :(

KiraNumber7

Smash Apprentice
Yeah and lets play olimar without pikman!!!epic ideas keep 'em up....not!
my ideaish, and yes it is a good one playing solo makes u a better player anyway, and ur gonna be crying when u lose to it, dont sayanything cause u dont kno, not tryin to get on ur badside but dont corrupt our genious, me and veggi should team sometime:laugh:

oh and the NOT joke was halarious......like borat

Top Bottom