• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Names thread

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
Where did you get your name? How do you abbreviate it (if you have to) for Smash games that only allow a few characters?

I saw the name Polym3r written on a bathroom stall. I abbreviate it to TAP in most games (TA Polym3r) but I'm starting to not like the name.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
i like your name. keep it. ^^
It wasn't given to me though. Names are so much better when they're given to you, rather than you picking them.

One of my friends entered his first tournament last Saturday. He didn't have a name so he went with the tag "Hockey" and people started calling him "Puck" so now he's Puck.

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
i just... changed it.

when i can change it again though, im probably changing it to sans g. or potato since those are some of the nicknames people gave me. both stem from FF14 since i use lalafell and run by the name sans guypersondude

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
My tag, despite this ****wreck, is AcneNekoSwagMoney. Being as I'm a PM player, I've got five characters, meaning Acne, Neko, Swag, and Money all fit as independent tags. I started using the tag because I have acne and I tend to wear an overshirt decorated with a maneki neko graphic to my local monthly. The "SwagMoney" part comes from the fact that I have literally never made money off of Smash.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I used to play quake 2 online back in the day and there was a guy obviously cheating with wallhacks and pov 5 auto-aim. He was a known player using the Alias "Ace" and bodied everyone constantly. When they complained about him cheating, he would spam a bind "Aced." or "Aced idiot x|-<" lol, I thought it was so funny I stole the name. The guy knew his cheating was obvious but continuously trolled people, lol.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
In the 9th grade, there was this girl who hated my guts; I didn't know why either. So everyday I would just say hi to her in this annoying tone. One day, while I was in English class, she called me Frizzy, because of my hair at the time. I actually liked that name, so I dropped the Y and took it.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
My name comes from a xbox suggestion really. You know when you type in a name you want and it shows up? yea. Recently, my friend wanted help with PM setups and computer setups. He started calling me "Glitch" and suggested to use it in a local tourney, and I liked it. Eventually, my other friends caught on with "Glitch" and I am now known as that.

How I wish I can change my smashboards name without premium

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
Ghostly = being an introvert and likely to be alone with (somewhat) anti social issues.

2500? It may not be my favorite number but I always repeat it for some reason.

D

Deleted member

It wasn't given to me though. Names are so much better when they're given to you, rather than you picking them.

One of my friends entered his first tournament last Saturday. He didn't have a name so he went with the tag "Hockey" and people started calling him "Puck" so now he's Puck.
pucky :3

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Sit down kids, I'mma tell you a story.

Okay so in 2007 I started playing RuneScape and I was like a huge fan of (and still am) Cloud Strife and Final Fantasy VII, but I was young and couldn't come up with anything cool, so I just put in Cloud 765 as my username. Cloud_765 would then be my username on GameSpot when I joined February 2008. After 2 years, I started wanting something unique. Something without numbers. I was thinking of stuff I really liked, and I was watching Pokemon videos a lot at the time, and eventually I thought of the item "Lunar Wing", an item you get from Cresselia in the games. So I chopped off the 765 from my old username, put LunarWing in front of it, and that has been my username on every single place I go to ever since. It's unique enough for me to rely on, and cool enough to keep for a long period of time.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I play the bassoon.

Yup, that's it.

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
Quoting myself from another thread
It's my name. I've grown comfortable enough to use it online (especially having it being in my steam username for a long time at this point)
Not much else to it.

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
My current name comes from a summer camp I used to work at. Everybody had to have a camp name for personal security reasons and since a friend of mine there was named Falcor, I took Atreyu (The Neverending Story, for those youngun's who don't know the reference) and it stuck for most of my teenage years. I just ended up adding my name to the end of it and voila.

But I don't actually use that as a smash tag. It was just a convenient username and something I'm familiar with since its my username for everything. I actually went to my first tourney a few months ago and didn't feel like using Atreyu. I was nervous and couldn't think of anything, so I was gonna go with James but the TO said that was just lazy. I thought if I was gonna be lazy, then why not USE lazy. So as it stands right now I use the tag LayZee in smash. I guess if I had to shorten it then I would just use LayZ.

It's this.

As for in-game tags, I tend to change it up every time I play. If I do decide to use this name, I usually put in "FAKE" or "VOX".

Dividee

Smash Cadet
NNID
fast2fast
I use the name Divide just because I thought the division symbol looked cool and I started calling myself Divide

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Pretty much everyone that starts talking to me and asks about my name thinks it has some kind of meaning or something.
It doesn't.
"Family Team" was something I came up with when I was a little kid. I remember I used to play Super Mario World a lot then go draw my own levels for the game. Whenever I'd draw title screens, instead of Nintendo, I knew I had to put something else in there, so I had to come up with a name.
Then I came up with... Family Team. Family as in, my family, and Team to make it sound like Sonic Team, I guess. Fastforward many many years and whenever I needed to make an account somewhere and I had no idea for any other name... I'd use some variation of Family Team. Then I started using it in every site I needed to make an account.
HOW I write Family Team has been massively inconsistent, though, and honestly I don't know why.
  • Any site that demands me to register my real name but I don't feel like giving it, I write "Family Team", with a space between the two words, to make it think it's two names.
  • Usernames in general, I write it as FamilyTeam, without the space. Except...
  • The SMWCentral, where my name is written as FamilyTeamProductions. That's also how my Steam Account is registered as, even though my current display name is "FamilyTeam (Lucina)" and my URL is FamilyTeam. Even though I write it like that in the SMWCentral, my Super Mario World hack submitted there has my name spelt as "Family Team" in the title screen.
  • My second Youtube channel's name is FamilyTeamGaming. My Xbox account is FamilyTeamGames because Gaming couldn't fit, and my PSN is also that so I could remember it easier. My Twitter is YTFamilyTeam in reference to my Youtube Channel, and my Origin account is also spelt like that because FamilyTeam was somehow already taken?

Wow, so that's 6 different ways I spell my username accross more things than I care to remember, really. And it's not even over. In regards to my tags:
  • ファミリ (famiri, "Family") is how I spell my name in Melee and Project M because I know how to write in Japanese and it's the only way I found to fit my name in those games. Bloody character limit.
  • In Smash 4, because you can't write in Japanese but you have quite a lot of room for names, I write my name as FAMILY, in all caps, even though I could probably fit TEAM in there as well, it would just make too much sense and be consistent, and apparently I secretly don't live consistancy. Besides, everybody and their parrot just calls me "Family" anyway. The nickname of my nickname.
  • I don't play Brawl, but in the rare occasion I do, my tag is FTP (FamilyTeamProductions, again, very consistant), there. That's also how I register my name in arcade games nowadays and how I registered my nickname in a site that absolutely demanded a second one.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
It's this.

As for in-game tags, I tend to change it up every time I play. If I do decide to use this name, I usually put in "FAKE" or "VOX".
why does it say the album got released September 15 2000 but it saids its was released at April 13 2003 in the same country which is japan.

why does it say the album got released September 15 2000 but it saids its was released at April 13 2003 in the same country which is japan.
Re-released with a bonus track and music video.

I've seen the video, but I've never actually heard that bonus track.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Mine was inspired from Doopliss in Paper Mario TTYD. His species is Duplighost, and I was lucky enough to get that username here.

IoSSBM

Smash Cadet
Back about a year ago, I was looking for a permanent name to use in Smash, so I picked up an old science textbook I had and found Io,I thought it sounded cool, and stuck SSBM at the end. Perfect name.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Because I like Curry /s (I've never actually had curry before)

One of my favorite characters is Makise Kurisu some Steins;Gate, so I adopted the name Kurrisu. After some time I realized I didn't want to have a weeby name so I dropped the "su" (plus Kurri sounds cuter imo~).

For Melee I just use "Kuri"
Brawl/Project M I use "Kurri"
And Smash 4 I use "KurriZSS"

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Sari came from a friend who rearranged his name to spell that. I'm no longer friends with this person so I kind of regret having it (wish I could change it).

In Smash I go by "BC," which is just the first letters of my first and last name combined.

Muscle_Senpai

Smash Apprentice
I took on this one somewhat recently, I've thought about using it for a while but I knew I couldn't until I could prove to any weeb who challenged it.
I was/still am on some places "Pusays" for a long time; I had a very good friend a long time ago on Maplestory who had that name. They unfortunately passed away 2 years into our "friendship" and I selfishly didn't want anyone to have it for a sense of pseudo-psychological justice. After of year of having it I felt a bit guilty but it's served a constant purpose throughout my life not to forget what a wonderful person they truly were. My wife thinks it's a little silly that I still hold onto the moniker considering my romantic feelings for the person have long subsided but understands why I've kept it so long.

Dreamy Luigi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DreamyZack
3DS FC
3239-3015-8059
My name is based of the dream world version of Luigi in Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. I just go by the short name "Dreamy" in most games.

Furret24

Smash Master
Remember all those generic uninspired usernames from the 90's that only consisted of a word followed by a number (ex. PussN'Boots1, Sqirm64)?

I took that concept and made Furret24.

What a great username. :yoshimelee:

CaptainFalcon89

Smash Rookie
NNID
CaptainFalcon89
3DS FC
2981-8075-4802
I had many usernames over my time finally deciding on CaptainFalcon89

My favourite character and the last two digits of my birth year

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
When I was little, I was a pretty big fan of BIONICLE, and followed it's storyline intently growing up, up until it's conclusion and cancellation. When making my username/smashtag, I decided to incorporate a subtle reference to the late franchise. I chose to base my tag on the Matoran prefix for the element of light 'Av' and build on that to create a nearly 100% unique tag. Online, it became a habit to add 00 at the end of my usernames, and once 'Avokha' was adopted, the 00 at the end beacame used to denote the online use of the tag (Avokha00 when online, simply Avokha in tournaments). I abbreviate it as 'AVO,' and the tag itself is pronounced 'uhv-AWK-uh.'

Last edited:

TyDye

Crash Bandicoot for Smash!
My name is Tyler and one day my best friend and fellow Smasher started calling me TyDye and it stuck. I'm not a Melee player but if I had to I would probably just shorten it to "Dye."

I agree that the best tags are the ones given to you by others but I must say that I really like some of the tags people have come up with on their own!

Kritzkrieg

Smash Cadet
Mine comes from "The Kritzkrieg" medigun in TF2. Mainly because I believe thats the only way crits should happen and not randomly...

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Mine comes from "The Kritzkrieg" medigun in TF2. Mainly because I believe thats the only way crits should happen and not randomly...
You gotta admit: When you're playing as the Heavy, then suddenly your minigun of choice goes on a random crit rampage, it is very fun to spray it at a group of enemies and then see even overhealed Heavies meet their doom in under a second, getting a really easy penta or hexa kill against the enemy team and watching the chat as people cry salty tears.
Not very fun when it happens to you, though.

Kritzkrieg

Smash Cadet
You gotta admit: When you're playing as the Heavy, then suddenly your minigun of choice goes on a random crit rampage, it is very fun to spray it at a group of enemies and then see even overhealed Heavies meet their doom in under a second, getting a really easy penta or hexa kill against the enemy team and watching the chat as people cry salty tears.
Not very fun when it happens to you, though.

True. For some reason, all the times I've been killed by an Ubersaw were first-strike random crits.

DraconicPsycho

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DraconicPsycho
Only half of my usual Alias fits in the name box, but it doesn't sounds too unusual. I got it when my friend said I was over obsessed with dragons and that I was a total psycho. I then put 2 and 2 together and here we go. the DraconicPsycho, Greninja main, SinnohFetus, probably too young for competitive smash tbh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom