• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Name your least favorite nerfs

Tsukihi Araragi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3609-1966-0579
Let's play a game, I'll start.

Falco's forward smash taking a year to start up
Dancing Blade won't hold you in the air
No more pogoing with Toon Link's Dair (RIP </3)

Either way they're still my mains.

Spirst

Wario's air speed being decreased and his dair having more lag to the point where you can't SH approach with it.
Fox's lag on his laser
Olimar's decrease of pikmin colors
Charizard's rock smash having more lag and being less viable

And lastly, Fox's voice. Makes him almost unusable.

Last edited:

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
Marth, just Marth in general.

Everyone's lack of momentum transfer, RIP running spikes/knees of justice, they just felt GOOD.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
The first hit of Link's forward smash now bouncing the opponent up slightly instead of having its own individual knockback so that it *tries* to make it so the second hit can be combed into. Emphasis on the word "tries" since it sometimes bounces the opponent up too high causing the second hit to whiff causing Link to be punished. Also, I dislike how there is now less time to use the second strike of the forward smash so frame traps are less effective when the opponent tries to rush in to punish the first hit.

RoseLaddie

Smash Rookie
NNID
RoseLaddie
3DS FC
2036-7285-6492
Marth's range and lack of fancy short-hopped double f-airs, Falco's laser lag and Sonic's taunts (R.I.P.) are the only ones I can really think of right now, but they're pretty depressing.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Falco's landing lag after down aerial
Zelda's Din's Fire reduced explosion range
Marth...all of him
Ike's Eruption being weaker in general
Ganondorf's stomp having a sourspot

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Marth's dair and dancing blade
Ganon side b is techable
Dr Mario's fist should be stronger

CampLow

Smash Rookie
NNID
SouthernSalmon
How did Olimar's Desync with the pikmin become even worse, come on Sakurai :(. I hope the wii u version doesn't have this issue.

Cherubas

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4746-9812
Ness's spike. I've had people try to tell me it's better or something. It's not. The hitbox feels weird and even if you sweetspot it you can't get the insanely early cheap kills you could get on Brawl. Ness has been buffed in certain other ways, so I'm not going to complain too much, but his spike was always my favorite way to kill people, tied only with a really close PKT2 maybe.

link2702

Smash Champion
falco....just..everything falco.

i wasn't even a falco main, nor did I use him all that much in brawl, but it was almost too cruel what they did to his laser game.

Last edited:

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
Wow. All these serious nerfs are kind of depressing. Hopefully this'll cheer you guys up: As a Link main I've been enjoying generally amazing buffs to everything. So....you know. At least I'm happy.

Although Ike was pretty cool. shame he lost his jabbing arm.

Cammed Z28

SB-Jgd = My FG gamer tag
3DS FC
2852-9484-2780
Wow. All these serious nerfs are kind of depressing. Hopefully this'll cheer you guys up: As a Link main I've been enjoying generally amazing buffs to everything. So....you know. At least I'm happy.

Although Ike was pretty cool. shame he lost his jabbing arm.
THIS

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Pikachu's Thunder... I mean yeah I like that the cloud's a meteor smash but the vertical height was shortened a lot and it's generally tougher to hit with the bolt. :/

Lol yes Sonic's taunts don't feel as good to use. "C'mon, step it up!"

Also a few of Meta Knight's moves having absolutely terrible startup. I get that he needed nerfing but come on now I shouldn't have to wait a whole year to Side-B.

And last but not least no pogoing Toon Link's dair. </3

Cherubas

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4746-9812
Pikachu's Thunder... I mean yeah I like that the cloud's a meteor smash but the vertical height was shortened a lot and it's generally tougher to hit with the bolt. :/

Lol yes Sonic's taunts don't feel as good to use. "C'mon, step it up!"

Also a few of Meta Knight's moves having absolutely terrible startup. I get that he needed nerfing but come on now I shouldn't have to wait a whole year to Side-B.

And last but not least no pogoing Toon Link's dair. </3
I wasn't even thinking of this stuff, but yes. I never got into Meta Knight (for one thing I couldn't kill with him at all and for another thing everyone else said he was godlike, two reasons I avoided him completely), but Pikachu was a character I liked to play casually from time to time. I loved his down smash and if I caught people sleeping with it I could sometimes follow it up with a double lightning bolt for the win on friends who failed their DI test. No more of that. And Sonic is MEANT to say "you're too slow!" That was the best part of playing him for me. Not giving him that taunt would be like.... Adding the Duck Hunt dog and not giving him his trademark 8-bit laugh or something.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Just about everyone I played was buffed in Smash 4 (besides Marth) or had already received nerfs in Brawl that have carried over (Samus)... so I can't really complain too much. :p I suppose Marth's Fair ending and landing lag is the most annoying, but even then... meh, I'm not too bothered by it. None of the nerfs to ZSS bother me nearly enough for me to mention them either because her buffs just feel so great in comparison. :p

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ike's F-Air, I just don't understand why they even felt the need to nerf anything on him.

Falco everything, but most of all his D-Air.

Meta Knight range nerf, I know it's pretty lame to complain about MK nerfs of all things, but his priority, speed and power reduction was already enough when so many other characters have also been buffed, the range nerfs just feel bad. Not only that but his range isn't even properly indicated by his visual effects, so it's hard to judge when you'll hit and when you won't.

BKTang'

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Konjiki-Jizo
3DS FC
1950-9517-4990
G&W's Judgement 9 in HRC
DDD's Bair
Falco's spike (so slow!)
Toon Link's Dair (where is the bounce?)
French voice for Sonic... Hearing "vitesse sonique" when you taunt...

BBC7

Smash Ace
Falco, although I like this 3rd reflector quite a bit. It's not like you actually reflect anything all that often with Brawl Shine.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
- Zelda's usmash range nerf. Sure its stronger now but I want the range dammit. Din's Fire is the same. I can't complain when she's a much better character than in Brawl/Melee, but still.

- Mario's damage nerfs across the board.

- Samus' missile land lag. Why.

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Ike's reach (blade length). Like, seriously, why? Was he not bad enough for you Sakurai? You had to nerf him even more? I wonder if Ike was actually considered OP with his original range in Sm4sh mechanics.

Marth's speed still being low is aggravating. I miss being able to tail my opponents all across the stage after a launch and pull off Sheik-like combos in the air. He's just a one hit wonder now it feels.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
- Marth being slower with less range.
- Fox's lasers not cancelling on landing.
- Samus' Super Missiles being slow as hell.
- Mario's Fireballs having a lot of cooldown between each other.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
They took away the gliding... Meta Knight, Pit, and Charizard aren't as fun as they used to be... oh, and Mario's cape no longer gives him a slight boost... ummm... that's it for now.

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
Why Luigi got any nerfs at all truly baffles me. I still love him and use him a lot as he does still have a lot of nice boons, a few great buffs, and potential, but was it necessary to weaken the knockback/power of some of his moves and the ultimately awesome height gain from Luigi Cyclone in Brawl?

KirbySS44

Smash Cadet
Kirby's inhale never seems to end especially when I'm in the air. Also his hammer is too slow and pretty much useless in a 1v1.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
R.O.B's side tilt
Dorf's D-Air nerf (rip thunderstomping)
But the worst one IMO is to every single smash attack G&W has, they're nowhere near as powerful as they were in Brawl.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
-They just had to remove Ganondorf's dair autocancel didn't they?
-Ike having less kill power. Great idea, making the slow powerful guy less powerful...
-RIP Dedede's Brawl bair.

Last edited:

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
-Mk's nerfs. All of em. He may have been OP, but they went too far.
-Ganon's Dair autocancel (I miss curb stomping people :( )
-Ending lag and reduced range of Marth's Fair. That was my favorite move in all of brawl.
-Dx3's Bair. He just ain't the same.

Last edited:

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
Too many to count. In particular removing land-cancel on Super missiles and Fox's lasers, 7% damage for Ness fair (was 11% in Brawl, 15% in Melee), no thunderstomp, techable Flame Choke, nerfs to most meteor smashes, etc.
Talking about characters, Falco and G&W got beaten to death by an army's worth of nerf sticks, for who knows why. And why the **** was Dr. Mario nerfed so hard?

Hey, wasn't this game supposed to make every character feel satisfying? Just another of Sakurai's empty promises.

Last edited:

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
Meta Knight. I get that he was "OP" in Brawl, but rather than balancing him, I feel like he's useless at this point. And the lack of gliding after using shuttle loop makes the move terrible.
Plus Marth's dancing blade is pretty bad, too.

Top Bottom