• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Name your least favorite nerfs

ArchMageDiablo

Smash Cadet
All of Game and Watch, and Meta Knights Moves,

Ok metaknight mightve earned it but GnW got nerfed on his nuetral and down A's, they are so slow now they are really easy to punish, they werent spectacular moves but they really helped control enemies especially the down A, I would use it to force people to either jump or shoot at me to feed my bucket, now they just stand there wait and punish.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
- Ganon's dair being techable, and dair not being auto-canceleable, as well as having a sourspot and not killing off the top early anymore (same goes for Falcon)
- Marth's awful landing lag on all of his fast-falled aerials
- Mario's Cape STILL not putting characters into free fall, and not giving him any momentum in the air.
- Samus' awful nair and missile lag
- Lasers I can understand, but Falco lost just about everything else. I don't even think he's viable anymore.
- Kirby's range nerf and loss of follow-ups from throws
- Dr. Mario's mobility nerf

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
:4gaw: Shrunken hitboxes to the point of hardly even having a Utilt or any Smash attacks at all.

:4wario: No more tires? Why...

:4olimar: I at least get the REASONING behind removing his Uspec, in that tether recoveries were all around terrible in non-competitive play, but I still don't like it.

:4falcon: The Falcon Punch was never supposed to be balanced. It was the impossible-to-pull-off-but-awesome-for-being-there fun move. Now it's not even that; it's still as punishable as it's always been, except it can't even kill at high percents anymore.

:4pit: I have less of a problem with the nerf itself than how it was handled. You always overshoot and get punished now unless you ride up the wall and aim straight for the ledge.

:4fox: Why did they nerf the reflector's end lag again?! and the blaster, too.

All: The changes in jump physics. If you run faster, you should jump farther. That's just common sense. But no, they had to make approaches completely impossible, so out it went.

Last edited:

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
-Pit's arrows are terrible now, their slower, do less damage, have less knock back at higher percents and you can't have them spinning around in the air like a cool guy anymore.

-Pits side b isn't the the spinning blades that reflected everything and did damage as well, the upper dash is cool but it's less versatile since you have to never use it to get the most use out if it.

-Mario's damage out put
-His nair being nerfed in knock back even when compared to brawls
- his cape not granting any forward momentum

-Ganondorf still not being as good as he was in melee

-My thumb when playing on the circle pad

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
:4luigi:Shoryuken being next to useless now. What is the point of making it hard to land if it can't KO anymore?
:4wario2:: Slower in the air, Dair taking a year to recover from, bike doesn't soak up hits as easily, new forward smash isn't as good as the old one.
:4gaw:: Literally everything. They completely neutered him.

Last edited:

HolyCarp

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5043-3834-6566
The biggest nerf was given to Zelda... She can no longer become Sheik :p

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
:4pit: I have less of a problem with the nerf itself than how it was handled. You always overshoot and get punished now unless you ride up the wall and aim straight for the ledge.
You'll get used to it. Just take some time and mess around in training. Chances are, you can aim alot lower then you are.

-Pit's arrows are terrible now, their slower, do less damage, have less knock back at higher percents and you can't have them spinning around in the air like a cool guy anymore.

-Pits side b isn't the the spinning blades that reflected everything and did damage as well, the upper dash is cool but it's less versatile since you have to never use it to get the most use out if it.
Pit's new arrows aren't all bad. The fact they're much easier to control is a major boon to everything outside the outright spam department.

The Hiyiyiya was actually mostly useless... The Upperdash Arm can be used to punish, it can be used as a counter, a KO move, a way to tack on more damage to recovering opponents, a recovery... It's great, actually.

Me, I'm disappointed in Pit's new Bair. The old one was a very powerful KO move and had a lingering hitbox. I mean, just about every other A move of his was significantly buffed at best, and took a minor nerf at worst, but now it's basically garbage.

D

Deleted member

:4luigi:Although this is my favorite iteration of Luigi, I am disappointed that the Green Missile now has lower priority than a dash attack and Sheik's Needles. Just why? I'm also ticked off that the Super Jump Punch doesn't gain as much height from Brawl, making his recovery worse.
:4metaknight:I know the guy was overpowered in Brawl, but were range nerfs necessary? This makes most of the things that I loved doing as Meta Knight in Brawl either impossible or harder to do. I think the range nerfs was overkill on their part.
:4ganondorf:I'm not a fan of his nerfed dair. It wasn't something that really should have been nerfed.
:4wario2:His dair was nerfed too. I don't like how the move now has ending lag to it and it's now a bit more risky to use.
:4pit:I hate the Power of Flight. I don't feel safe using the Power of Flight unless I am on a stage like the omega version of Boxing Arena where I can hug the wall and use it to grab the ledge. Even when my only option is to use the Power of Flight and have Pit go in the middle of the stage, I know that I am about to get punished. Even when I'm next to the ledge as Pit, I can't grab it since the move is still going on.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
You'll get used to it. Just take some time and mess around in training. Chances are, you can aim alot lower then you are.

Pit's new arrows aren't all bad. The fact they're much easier to control is a major boon to everything outside the outright spam department.

The Hiyiyiya was actually mostly useless... The Upperdash Arm can be used to punish, it can be used as a counter, a KO move, a way to tack on more damage to recovering opponents, a recovery... It's great, actually.

Me, I'm disappointed in Pit's new Bair. The old one was a very powerful KO move and had a lingering hitbox. I mean, just about every other A move of his was significantly buffed at best, and took a minor nerf at worst, but now it's basically garbage.
Hiyiyiya was great for opponents spamming projectiles and let you get in close, the upper dash more or less hits the first thing to make contact with him meaning it can't punish that well for spamming because you'll usually stop short unless you get a very hard read, it would be better if he would only soak up the damage until he got to opponent instead of stopping to hit it away from him only to be hit by the person who shot it

smash4

Smash Rookie
Sonic Has The Worst Nerf In The Game: Super Sonic Can Hardly KO Now

Last edited:

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
:4luigi:Shoryuken being next to useless now. What is the point of making it hard to land if it can't KO anymore?
:4wario2:: Slower in the air, Dair taking a year to recover from, bike doesn't soak up hits as easily, new forward smash isn't as good as the old one.
:4gaw:: Literally everything. They completely neutered him.
I didn't even realize they changed his F-Smash until this post! I can't believe Sakurai had to get rid of the one homage to Wario Land in Smash!

Last edited:

smash4

Smash Rookie
They Nerfed Meta knight's Shuttle Loop He Can't Glide After It Ends

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Everything Falco. He just didn't feel the same to me.
And Ike seem to have lost his tremendous K.O. power and has gotten slower than he was in Brawl...but that doesn't stop me from using him.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
:4pit:I hate the Power of Flight. I don't feel safe using the Power of Flight unless I am on a stage like the omega version of Boxing Arena where I can hug the wall and use it to grab the ledge. Even when my only option is to use the Power of Flight and have Pit go in the middle of the stage, I know that I am about to get punished. Even when I'm next to the ledge as Pit, I can't grab it since the move is still going on.
Aim low on the ledge and you'll slide up the side of the stage until he grabs on. Even stages like Omega Brinstar, contrary to common sense.

Hiyiyiya was great for opponents spamming projectiles and let you get in close, the upper dash more or less hits the first thing to make contact with him meaning it can't punish that well for spamming because you'll usually stop short unless you get a very hard read, it would be better if he would only soak up the damage until he got to opponent instead of stopping to hit it away from him only to be hit by the person who shot it
That's really the only aspect that the Upperdash is worse with, and it's not that big of an issue with the general projectile nerf.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Aim low on the ledge and you'll slide up the side of the stage until he grabs on. Even stages like Omega Brinstar, contrary to common sense.

That's really the only aspect that the Upperdash is worse with, and it's not that big of an issue with the general projectile nerf.
Pits arrows were key for his combo game

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
Not really all nerfs, but mainly little details that bother me.

-Ness's back aerial not having the stop-game impact (yeah, I don't know what it's called lol) when sweetspotted (like when Zelda's heel is sweetspotted). Feels alot less satisfying to hit now.
-Not being able to hold out the yo-yo when charging.
-dat landing lag on his down aerial... christ

-Samus feels WAY too floaty for me now. Her floaty-ness worked in Brawl, but in this game I can barely hit in the air for ****.
-Sonic's taunts.
-Pit's recovery! and not being able to glide. He's also waaaaay slower, so not fun for me to play anymore.

Other than that, everyone feels alot more improved overall.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'm probably in the minority, but to be perfectly honest, I miss Olimar's Brawl up special. I'm fairly good with a tether and it was a good move in general.

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
I miss ikes badass jab cancel, it allowed ike to do so much more than he can do now :(

Clemente

Smash Journeyman
Pit moves slowly(and gets sent flying with every hit) hard to reach your opponent sometimes

Arrows are about 2x slower

there's no punch behind d-air anymore, its a joke

I suppose the down-B (new shield) is supposed to be a nerf, but honestly it just looks prettier and it's more dangerous to use than Brawl's shield

FajitaEata

Smash Rookie
You guys ready for an Olimar rant?
1. His Pikmin count. This is the obvious gripe, but still it's so crippling to only have 3
2. Pikmin desynch. I swear these guys are broken in this game. You get less of them and they can't stay synched to save their lives.
3. His recovery. I'm probably in the minority here but I really liked sniping people with that. It was a bad recovery in brawl, but I feel if they kept it in 4 and applied the ledge trumping mechanic to it, then it would be way better than what we have now.
4. His uair was so satisfying and now it's not :(

Raijinken

Smash Master
Techable ground-meteors, Dancing Blade for Marth, Docpunch in general, Raptor Boost is harder to spike with, Yoyo no longer has a charging hitbox, PK Flash is slow and tiny as dirt.

Elixir Soup

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stickkid12
3DS FC
5069-4931-8546
Yup, my least favourite is Toon Link's DAir going through people. Now when you try to use it as a meteor smash you just kills yourself as well.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
King Dedede's friggin DOWN AIR!

I constantly used his dair in brawl, it was really good and worked with his playstyle. Now its a meteor.....one with a lousy hitbox and speed on a character that does not need it :p even now after dozens of games with him i keep doing dair and going "Wtf did i just do....oh yea..."

K-45

Smash Journeyman
I can understand most nerfs but y:4gaw:. His range and smash have shorter range and less kill potential. He's one of few characters that was decent before but now has to much start up lag and end lag to be useful.

Also I used to hate him but now I feel bad for him RIP:4metaknight:

Last edited:

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
I prefer lists, personally, so I'm going over my least favorite for each veteran:

• Mario: Everything about the cape in-air. (Runner up: Fsmash.)
  • Luigi: Worse Up B nerfs than Brawl Jiggly's rest... both as an attack and a recovery. (Runner up: Luigi Missile)
  • Peach: Weak turnips kills the iconic nature of her style.
  • Bowser: No sandbag grinding to fill out equipment (as with stickers/CDs before).
  • Yoshi: His Up B's lack of impact... feel too wimpy. (Runner up: Home run contest Dair)
  • Wario: Iconic side smash replaced with boring punch-- why not just give it more range?
  • Game & Watch: Dthrow Dsmash combo. (Runner up: his power in general.)
  • DK: Neutral B doesn't feel to have enough impact.
  • Diddy Kong: Actually, no, screw bananas for days. I get enough tripping flashback without that nonsense.
  • Link: Gale force boomerang is still a thing... and no illusion stab! (My salt shall never end!)
  • Zelda: Din's fire. (Runner up: Usmash)
  • Sheik: [Reserved for when if I find one...]
  • Ganondorf: Techable side-B. (Runner up: Warlock punch home run contest.)
  • Toon Link: Panicked air-stabbing taunt lacks the proper panic. (Runner up: No Dair spike.)
  • Samus: Fsmash's lack of impact.
  • ZSS: No repeated Dsmashes (nerf or buff, it was still really fun to do).
  • Pit: Dark Pit making him nearly obsolete.
  • Marth: Dancing blade and ken combo (I can't seem to pull it off in smash 4... though that may be lack of c-stick).
  • Ike: My entire jab game. (Runners up: Fair and instant acting out of side B.)
  • Kirby: Kirbicides. (Runner up: Down special.)
  • Dedede: Bair, I shall miss you so... (Runner up: downthrow chases.)
  • Metaknight: Dsmash. I could forgive the overnerfing everywhere else, but that's just insult to injury.
  • Fox: Shine lag. ;-; (Runners up: Laser lag and side smash.)
  • Falco: Dair. (Runner up: short hop lasers.)
  • Pikachu: Uair. (It's strictly better, sure, but it lacks the game's wackiest knockback! Was too fun...)
  • Charizard: Only two 'double jumps'... why?
  • Lucario: No Dair floating.
  • Jigglypuff: No hyperlethal up throw.
  • ROB: Fully charged laser looks less impressive.
  • Ness: PK Flash-- just why? It was bad enough. (Runner up: Bair/Dair feel... off.)
  • Captain Falcon: Falcon punch. I don't even. (Runner up: his aerials are not all knees.)
  • Olimar: I wish Ice Climbers had ever been so easy to desync...
  • Dr. Mario: As with Mario, his cape.
  • Sonic: Most brutal taunt nerfs in the game. (Runner up: dash-attacking into ftilts.)
  • Roy: Being a Koopaling rather than a Fire Emblem character. (Though, to be fair, we've enough FE reps...)
  • Mewtwo: Being in the game at launch. (Though, true to melee, he's still the most difficult unlock...)

Top Bottom