• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Namco Character discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
It's mostly Pac-Man Vs. Lloyd for the Namco spot. It's possible that another Namco character could claim it though. (considering the situation with Tekken)

:phone:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I want Nightmare over Pac-Man but that's entirely personal bias.

D

Deleted member

If I could have ANY NB character, it'd be a Digimon.
Either Agumon for practicality, or Leomon for bias.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Personally I want Klonoa or KOS-MOS over Pac-Man, but of the characters that actually have a chance I'd agree with wanting Pac-Man the most.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I'm pretty sure that at least 99% of us agree that if we must have a Namco rep, it has to be Pac-Man.
This sums up my opinion on a Namco rep perfectly. Honestly, I don't think Namco warrants or deserves a rep in Smash Bros. I actually hate the idea of Pacman being playable. HOWEVER, if the alternative is a Tekken character or a generic sword user, I have to pick the lesser evil.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
This sums up my opinion on a Namco rep perfectly. Honestly, I don't think Namco warrants or deserves a rep in Smash Bros. I actually hate the idea of Pacman being playable. HOWEVER, if the alternative is a Tekken character or a generic sword user, I have to pick the lesser evil.
It pisses me off when people call sword users in Smash generic. I'm not an even close to being an expert on real life sword-fighting, and I can tell you that there are tons of different types of swords that are held and used in tons of different types of ways. And just in terms of Smash, of the 5 sword users in Brawl(Link, Toonie, Marth, Ike, Meta Kight), only two of them are even remotely similar. Unless you're also going to complain that characters who beat people up with their fists are generic as well, the generic sword user "argument" just doesn't hold water.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Oh, wait.

Bandai Namco are skeptical about the inclusion of Tekken characters, not Sakurai. My bad.

Though Sakurai has stated including non-Nintendo characters is not his biggest priority is what i've heard.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Oh, wait.

Bandai Namco are skeptical about the inclusion of Tekken characters, not Sakurai. My bad.

Though Sakurai has stated including non-Nintendo characters is not his biggest priority is what i've heard.
Which is why there should be at least 2-3 third party characters since I figured it be small enough.

livan

Smash Apprentice
Personally I want Klonoa or KOS-MOS over Pac-Man, but of the characters that actually have a chance I'd agree with wanting Pac-Man the most.
Totally agreed with u n_n

D

Deleted member

HER, from Namco, HER and no one else, she would make an amazing character.

Also, if any Tekken/Soul Calibur characters make the cut, I'll be disappointed. Lloyd and the girl from Xenosaga are more interesting. Also, Why Pacman? He seems boring to me.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Yeah they would be interesting. Unfortunately, their chances are pretty much **** when compared to Pac-Man. (Lloyd only has a good chance because one of the team members working on Smash wants to push for a Tales character.)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yeah they would be interesting. Unfortunately, their chances are pretty much **** when compared to Pac-Man. (Lloyd only has a good chance because one of the team members working on Smash wants to push for a Tales character.)
That and he has fairly consistent appearances on Nintendo consoles.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
Yoshimitsu

a Soul Calibur AND a tekken character. Kill 2 birds with one stone, everyone wins.
One costume is his SC, the other is Tekken.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I'm still of the opinion Pac-Man would be an ideal addition to Smash. I mean, SSB is a game featuring video game legends. And there are few video game legends bigger than Pac-Man. And Ms. Pac-Man could be an alternate costume!

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Why does it fill you with sadness? o.o The game has ENOUGH male characters, just saying -___-
and that there made it worse. ok there is no need for another female character if the only thing she truly offers is one less pole. that's really the poorest reason to add a character and i'll direct you to this thread as to why.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=325491

Kos-Mos is from a series with a substantially lower fanbase and marketability when compared to almost all other Namco properties. not only that but Xenosaga is better known on a rival platform. i am aware it has also been on Nintendo platforms but it is still better known on Playstation systems.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What, so we can't voice our support for a Namco character we would like to see included in a thread about Namco characters just because she is unlikely? No one was pretending she had any kind of real shot.

Ofc being female is a poor reason for inclusion, but I personally would also be very happy if KOS-MOS was included because I like the character and what she could bring to Smash. I know she won't get in, that doesn't mean I can't voice my support for her. Especially in the most fitting thread to do so.

I'd much rather see her over any Tekken or SC character, even if they are more likely. Hell, her and Klonoa are my most wanted Namco characters (if we need to get a Namco rep), and some of the least likely to be included, but that doesn't mean I can't show my support for them.

mewi

Smash Rookie
and that there made it worse. ok there is no need for another female character if the only thing she truly offers is one less pole. that's really the poorest reason to add a character and i'll direct you to this thread as to why.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=325491

Kos-Mos is from a series with a substantially lower fanbase and marketability when compared to almost all other Namco properties. not only that but Xenosaga is better known on a rival platform. i am aware it has also been on Nintendo platforms but it is still better known on Playstation systems.
Talk about building a strawman, I simply stated that there is enough male characters in this game, that isn't meaning that is the only reason why I'd pick KOS-MOS as a character for the game. So faulty assumptions are faulty.

If you want to talk about shallow, your only reason seems to be "Because he is popular" your only actual defense.

Now, since you insist on over complicating my one minor sentence ( a disrespectful rage if you ask me, which does actually sadden me :3 )

Why KOS-MOS? Because she is strong, she actually has moves, she has elegance to her, she is of pure beauty, and most importantly, she actually has a plot. I actually played the entire Xeno series, KOS-MOS is part of my heart and always will be. What is Pac Man's plot? Punching something, or eating a few pixels? Sorry but that is the limit of what he can do. Pure boring ^__^

and sorry, if I want to support for more female characters in an otherwise male character dominated game, I can, and my support would be valid. So too bad.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
What, so we can't voice our support for a Namco character we would like to see included in a thread about Namco characters just because she is unlikely? No one was pretending she had any kind of real shot.

Ofc being female is a poor reason for inclusion, but I personally would also be very happy if KOS-MOS was included because I like the character and what she could bring to Smash. I know she won't get in, that doesn't mean I can't voice my support for her. Especially in the most fitting thread to do so.

I'd much rather see her over any Tekken or SC character, even if they are more likely. Hell, her and Klonoa are my most wanted Namco characters (if we need to get a Namco rep), and some of the least likely to be included, but that doesn't mean I can't show my support for them.
i didnt say you can't support her. i said why she's unlikely and why i hate the idea of her inclusion. mewi asked why that quote made me sad and i responded. if i offended im sorry but hey she asked.

mewi

Smash Rookie
i didnt say you can't support her. i said why she's unlikely and why i hate the idea of her inclusion. mewi asked why that quote made me sad and i responded. if i offended im sorry but hey she asked.
If everyone did what was popular, we'd all be playing Call of Duty Black Ops *shivers*

D

Deleted member

Wanting to support an unlikely character? Not a problem. I support Wreck-It Ralph of all people.

Trying to bring gender as a primary reason why they should be in and claiming that there is "enough" of the opposing gender? That's where we get into sexism.

Rule of thumb is, what genitals a character has nor the color of their skin should not determine who should get in.

mewi

Smash Rookie
Wanting to support an unlikely character? Not a problem. I support Wreck-It Ralph of all people.

Trying to bring gender as a primary reason why they should be in and claiming that there is "enough" of the opposing gender? That's where we get into sexism.

Rule of thumb is, what genitals a character has nor the color of their skin should not determine who should get in.
So you don't think that the world's population being more female than male, and having a game that is what? 90% male characters, a sexist position?

You might want to look up the definition of sexism, before engaging in an argument about sexism. Wanting more female characters, isn't "sexist" it is logical.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
If everyone did what was popular, we'd all be playing Call of Duty Black Ops *shivers*
I agree Black Ops sucks.

i never said it was all about popularity, but it does play a large enough role that it does need to be taken into account. i say Pac-Man's likely cause he's a mascot, a Tekken character is likely cause it is Namco's biggest franchise at the moment, a Tales of character is likely cause one of the creators of the series is working on Sm4sh. these series just have more working for them then Xenosaga does. if we were to talk about Kos-Mos becoming DLC for PSASBR then it has a decently strong leg to stand on. but for Smash it has more obstacles than assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom