• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Namco Character discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
Mr. Driller: Drill Land seemingly is a treasure trove for ideas for specials

You got cowboy hats, candles, bats, cloaks, more drills held as swords.. and what seems to be a drill held like a gun.

hopefully that image shows up

CalumG

Smash Lord
Point taken. But what i'm not interested in, is adding a character SIMPLY for recognition. Especially 3rd parties. I want a character that is interesting. Most iconic Nintendo characters are already in the game, missing a few that would truly complete the "all-star roster". To be honest, I don't really want Pac-man in the game because he does nothing for me. I've played the games, and they're fun sure. But what could he possibly do that would make him interesting? I'm sure the developers could think of something, but it doesn't really matter to me in general. I would simply prefer Lloyd.

Iconic Nintendo character got in because that is what the series is about, and that is because in a Nintendo fighting game, they have to represent their IP's. But like I said, I don't want a 3rd Party character in there SIMPLY for recognition. That on it's own is a stupid reason. Obviously, recognition is a part of every character, but it isn't what got them in it on its own. Sonic was highly requested and popular, and Snake was a favor who was iconic to his own series.

But yea thats basically all my point is. Recognition is fine, but not on it's own.
I can't argue with that if you simply don't think Pac-Man would/could be an interesting character - we've all got our opinions. I, for example, have never played a Tales Of game in my life, giving me a natural bias.

I do think they could do something amazing with Pac-Man though if they actually tried to, and cashed in on the full wealth of source material he has available. The most important thing, as I said, is that he needs to feel like Pac-Man - He needs to look up-to-date but make old-school munching noises, he needs a power pellet for his Final Smash (all other people get turned blue by Pac-Man and recieve double damage/knockback from him?), he needs to be able to roll real fast and be able to bite people, temporarily eat people a la Yoshi and so on. It wouldn't hurt to see some old-school Namco arcade references too - considering the Smash Team's fetish for spending extra-long amounts of time making detailed fabric textures, I wouldn't put it past him maybe having some subtle 8-bit Galaga/Rally-X/Dig-Dug sprites stitched into the cuffs of his gloves or something.

At the end of the day, if you don't think Pac-Man deserves a spot on the roster then there's probably nothing I can do to convince you otherwise. That being said, Pac-Man is more than just a character - it's a social phenomenon, a game that changed the face of the industry, a character casual players can instantly recognize and go "hey! I'm gonna play as Pac-Man" because Pac-Man has pretty much spread to every little corner of the earth. He's got a vast enough back catalog to make an amazing character and stage out of (and maybe a couple items/assists?) but the principle thing is that they respect the source material well and don't go for anything too 'out there'.

I imagine Lloyd would probably be an awesome character (there's gotta be a reason why people want him in so much after all), but I think from a logical standpoint you could definitely expect to see Pac-Man before Lloyd. I'd love for Sakurai to prove me wrong though, because normally when I see a new franchise in Smash Bros. it majorly gives me the urge to actually play that game series and I grow to love it.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
If Namco Bandai is collaborating on the game, now that I stop to think about it, this means..

- The game makers would be crazy to curb on Namco Bandai newcomers. So I think we will see at least several Namco Bandai characters, if not a ton of them.

- All the third party newcomers in SSB4 will be from Namco Bandai. There's simply no need to go after more third-parties when you have access to all the characters of one of them. SSB4 technically only needs to add 3 Namco chars to outdo Brawl's addition of Snake and Sonic. (aside from the fact that Snake/Sonic were the first time third party chars were added. This means SSB4 will need to add several more Namco characters in order to wow people as much as Snake/Sonic did.)

- Sonic series is the exception -- There might still be new Sonic characters in SSB4. (because Mario Sonic Olympics)

- This is the best chance any Namco char ever had to get into an SSB game. If your fave Namco char doesn't get in SSB4, well you might as well kill yourself. (but maybe wait for possible DLC announcements before committing suicide) Ironically I've wanted Mr. Driller in SSB ever since Brawl. But now that Namco Bandai is collaborating on the game, a Driller appearance in some form seems crazy plausible, whether it's a playable character or just a stage or cameo appearance. It's almost like I'm living in a dream.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
lol, Final lap. Looking at the tone of your post, you probably are not trolling. So I'll make things clearer for you.

1. Sakurai himself has stated that he won't be adding 3rd party characters "willy-nilly" as that would cause the game to lose its focus as a Nintendo crossover.

2. As far as I think, cutting Snake and Sonic would be extremely stupid. Snake was added as a personal request. Cutting him would be a slap on the face between friends. Sonic was added due to extreme fan-demand. You think they would risk cutting Sonic and alienate his fanboys? I won't dare think that. We can expect to see at most 5 3rd parties, including Snake and Sonic.

3. Your fourth makes sense. It is possible for them to release a few Namco characters as DLC.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
1. Sakurai himself has stated that he won't be adding 3rd party characters "willy-nilly" as that would cause the game to lose its focus as a Nintendo crossover.
Ok but if I end up being right, you owe me a coke.

2. As far as I think, cutting Snake and Sonic would be extremely stupid.
I never said they would be cut. I specifically used the word newcomers when mentioning third party characters. Sonic and Snake aren't newcomers, they'd be returning characters.
As for whether they'd be cut, as you can probably guess, I think Sonic being cut is especially unlikely.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I forgot add about your last point:

It is very much possible that Namco might collaborate with Nintendo and Sora for future Smash titles as well, so no need to suicide. ;)

final lap

Smash Journeyman
by the way, regarding Sakurai's willy nilly:

Of course he would say that, otherwise people would get their hopes up, and the new game won't disappoint them when it's revealed that it has "only" x third party chars. (plus when he said that, it might have been before Namco got on board)

Also, I have a new theory regarding SSB4. It won't have any first party newcomers in it. This way they can save them up for SSB5 or for whenever companies start pulling out from SSB.
For SSB4, they have Namco.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Of course he would say that, otherwise people would get their hopes up, and the new game won't disappoint them when it's revealed that it has "only" x third party chars. (plus when he said that, it might have been before Namco got on board)

Also, I have a new theory regarding SSB4. It won't have any first party newcomers in it. This way they can save them up for SSB5 or for whenever companies start pulling out from SSB.
About that....no...

Troll?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

No......just no.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Oh please tell me you're not serious...

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Final Lap, you're making yourself look sound a Namco fanboy.

It's blasphemous to think that there wont be any 1st party newcomers in Smash 4.

I should mention, Namco's involvement was announced on June 21 last year, while Sakurai's willy nilly comment came on August 7. You were saying...?

volbound1700

Smash Master
lol, Final lap. Looking at the tone of your post, you probably are not trolling. So I'll make things clearer for you.

2. As far as I think, cutting Snake and Sonic would be extremely stupid. Snake was added as a personal request. Cutting him would be a slap on the face between friends. Sonic was added due to extreme fan-demand. You think they would risk cutting Sonic and alienate his fanboys? I won't dare think that. We can expect to see at most 5 3rd parties, including Snake and Sonic.

3. Your fourth makes sense. It is possible for them to release a few Namco characters as DLC.
FalKoopa... willy-nilly is not definite. Even if you add 5 3rd party characters it is only 10% of the roster.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Who knows, willy-nilly isn't defined. He could very well be saying that it is hard to add Third Parties to the project because each new company requires negotiation and difficulty and so I won't be able to add all the characters everyone is demanding.

I think he is trying to tone down all the hype and that was the purpose of the statement. I also think it is partly because it is just very hard to add third party characters, especially if they are from companies that require new negotiation. Namco, Sega, and Konami are in great positions in that they have already negotiated with Nintendo regarding their inclusion in some form or another in a present or past Smash game.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think he is trying to tone down all the hype and that was the purpose of the statement. I also think it is partly because it is just very hard to add third party characters, especially if they are from companies that require new negotiation. Namco, Sega, and Konami are in great positions in that they have already negotiated with Nintendo regarding their inclusion in some form or another in a present or past Smash game.
It's possible. But at the same time, we can't expect him to lie about it as well.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Willy Nilly doesn't mean less or to limit, it means we can't just add them on a whim. Which supports my argument that he is saying it isn't easy to add them.

By the way, do you live in India?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
lol, Swampasaur said it too. I guess it's because I have a habit of read books and magazines.
Just means it must be true.... :p

Also Volbound, I don't think we're getting more than 4 characters.

final lap

Smash Journeyman
So someone has made a list of Namco franchises right? The ones that would be represented in Smash.

Tekken
Soul Calibur
Tales
Kos-mos
Pac-Man
Dig Dug (Taizo Hori is in Namco x Capcom)

come to think of it Namco x Capcom would be an excellent guide for who we can expect in SSB4.
The Legend of Valkyrie
Tower of Druaga
Klonoa
maybe Shadow Land

That's basically it.
There's also Toby Masuyo from Baraduke, who is Taizo's ex-wife, and a Driller universe character.

This guy seems like SSB material.

But we know that..
Tekken
Soul Calibur
Tales
Kos-mos
Pac-Man
..are definitely getting at least 1 rep each. Tekken is probably Heihachi seeing as Heihachi is constantly the Tekken rep for some reason.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So someone has made a list of Namco franchises right? The ones that would be represented in Smash.

Tekken
Soul Calibur
Tales
Kos-mos
Pac-Man

come to think of it Namco x Capcom would be an excellent guide for who we can expect in SSB4.
The Legend of Valkyrie
Tower of Druaga
Klonoa
maybe Shadow Land

That's basically it.
There's also Toby Masuyo from Baraduke, who is Taizo's ex-wife, and a Driller universe character.

But we know that..
Tekken
Soul Calibur
Tales
Kos-mos
Pac-Man
..are definitely getting at least 1 rep each. Tekken is probably Heihachi seeing as Heihachi is constantly the Tekken rep for some reason.
We're getting one Namco rep max bud. Slow down...

3Bismyname

Smash Champion

Tekken
Soul Calibur
Tales
Kos-mos
Pac-Man

The Legend of Valkyrie
Tower of Druaga
Klonoa
maybe Shadow Land

That's basically it.

But we know that..
Tekken
Soul Calibur
Tales
Kos-mos
Pac-Man
lol yeah right if only. i will say tho that guy there looks pretty awesome. what game is that?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Tales = Lloyd
Pac-Man = Pac-Man (and Blinky :troll:)

If any series get repped its gonna be Tekken, Tales or Pac-Man.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Swampsaur sums it up. Out of those three, no one else. Maybe we might have a Dig Dug AT, and MAYBE a stage, but that's it for characters outside of Pac-Man, Tekken, and Tales.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
No way pac man will make it in as a full fledged character. Hes an assist trophy if anything.
Pacman is popular for his 2-d, pizza-shaped form not the 3D with facial features form. If hes in there he'll be his original popular self. Like that, idea's for attacks seem stale and far fetched. But as an assist trophy he can easily just move horizontally and vertically across the map chomping on foes, which works out perfectly.

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
I think Pac-Man will get in seeing how hes been in 2 soon to be 3 Mario Kart Arcade games,I think its safe to say we will see Pac-Man as a playable character in Super Smash Bros 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom