• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

N Charleston, SC- Anime Charleston Competiive Brawl Tournament - August 12, 2008

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
ANIME CHARLESTON
COMPETITIVE BRAWL TOURNAMENT

Tuesday, August 12, 2008
4:00 PM to 9:00 PM

RESULTS

SINGLES

1st: RYAN!
2nd: Khai
3rd: ARS

DOUBLES

1st: Khai & RYAN!
2nd: ARS & zCasanova
3rd: BRIGHT & Wesley

7679 Dorchester Road
North Charleston, SC 29418

CONTACT

AllisBrawl Profile: Khai
AIM: specialk42day
E-mail: specialk42day@yahoo.com

AllisBrawl Profile: Ryanator
AIM: Ryanarius2209
E-mail: pisces2209@hotmail.com

FOREWORD

This tournament is to introduce Brawlers in Charleston, or any nearby for that matter, to Brawl competitive play as well as help the growth of the Brawl community in Charleston and South Carolina all together. Let's face it, South Carolina is pretty weak when it comes to most competitive gaming. I'm going to try to start something with Brawl in Charleston.

I hope that Brawlers in Charleston or nearby will participate and tell their friends in order to make this tournament a success.

EVENTS

This tournament will feature a Singles Tournament and a Fun Doubles! Tournament.

Singles Tournament will follow closely to the standard competitive Singles Brawl process. Standard rules, fees, and processes you may find at major Brawl tournaments.

Fun Doubles! Tournament will also follow competitive Doubles Brawl rules, but the fee and prizes is covered by the Door Fee.

We encourage people to mingle, play friendly matches, and exchange info.

** Tournament matches have priority. Anyone playing friendly matches when a station is needed must end their match for the tournamant match.

ENTRY FEES

There will be a $5 Door Fee per person. Please understand the door fee is used to cover the expense needed for the tournament.

** The door fee may be waived for those who contributed to stations available at tournament.

SINGLES

Entry fee is $10 per person

FUN DOUBLES!

Entry is covered by the door fee.

PRIZES

Prizes for Singles:

60% of Pot
30% of Pot
10% of Pot

Prizes for Fun Doubles!

Two $25 Value Prizes($50 Prize Total) from GameStop!

SCHEDULE

4:00 PM
- Registrations Begins

5:00 PM - Singles Tournament Starts

** Fun Doubles start soon after Singles Tournament. After that we encourage people to mingle and play some friendlies!

9:00 PM - Event Ends

GENERAL RULES

Bring Your Own Controller! (BYOC)

SINGLES
  • Double Elimination
  • 3 Stocks
  • 7 Minute Time Limit
  • No Items. No Smash Balls. NO EXCEPTIONS.

DOUBLES
  • Same as "Singles," but with 8 Minute Time Limit.
  • Team Attack: ON

** Loser Finals, Winners Semi-Finals, and Grand Finals will be played best of 3 of 5 matches.

DO NOT complain to me about if you want items or smash balls or if you want the tournament to be rules to be different. The tournament I am hosting will be playing by standard competitive rules. You may, however, discuss with me about what stage should or should not be legit. Otherwise, end of story.

STAGE RULES

• Each player is allowed to knock out one legal stage before in each player match ups.
  • For the First Match players can either agree on a stage or select random stage to play on.
  • A player is not allowed to counterpick a stage that he or she has already won a game on in the match up. However, the stage can be played on ONLY if both player agrees on the stage. Stages that come up in random stage selects exempt this rule.

MATCH PROCESS

• A double blind pick may be called for the first match.
  • After the first game, the loser may counter pick the next legal stage he/she wants to play on or go select random stage.
  • Next, the winner of the previous game may change characters to respond to the counter pick stage.
  • Afterwards, the loser of the previous game may change characters to respond to the winner's character selection.
  • No changes are allowed after the losers picks his/her character.
  • In the event of the time limit running out, the winner of the game is the player with the most stock. If both players have the same number of stocks, the player with the least percentage is the winner of the game. Sudden Death will not decide the winner of any games.
  • In the event that a player suicides in order to KO his or her opponent and force Sudden Death (such as Kirby sucking in the other and jumps off the stage and suicides with them inside), the player that caused the "Forced Sudden Death" will be the winner of the game.

** Exploitation of stalling glitches will not be tolerated. Anyone caught exploiting will automatically lose in the tournament. [Falco's laser lock, Metaknight Infinite Dimensional Cape, etc]

LEGAL STAGES

NEUTRALS:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise +
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

COUNTERPICKS:

Battleship Halberd +
BrinstarCastle Siege *
Delfino Plaza *
Frigate Orpheon
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Circuit -
Norfair
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium +
Rainbow Cruise

BANNED STAGES:

75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Corneria
Distant Planet
Flat Zone 2
Green Greens +
Green Hill Zone
Hanenbow
Jungle Japes
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-1
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2
New Pork City
Pictochat -
Pokémon Stadium 2
Port Town Aero Drive +
Onett +
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses Island
Skyworld -
Spear Pillar
Temple
The Summit
WarioWare, Inc.
Yoshi's Island (Melee) +

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
My apologizes everyone who visit this thread and planning to go to this tournament so far. There are one small change.

I have some small personal concern coming up on the original dated planned and we are pushing the tournament one day early. The tournament will be Tuesday, August 12th instead of Wednesday, August 13th now.

ptown,

Falco's laser lock is banned in most competitive tournaments so to be safe I'm adding that rule to this tournament. IMHO, it's a very situational exploit. I guess the majority of of competitive Brawlers decide it was very advantageous if pulled off and easy to keep up. I think the main concern of it is that it has little knock back and in the right situation it could lead to an easy and "unskilled" (I'm using this term loosely, IMO, this requires quick reaction and good recognition) lead with damage/stock and take up a chuck of the time limit.

Don't be too threaten with this issue. If you catch them on Final Destination with a laser lock a quarter away from the edge I'm not going to declare a lost for you if you catch them with 3 or 4 lasers. But if you're a good distance away from the edge and have plenty of room to get in many more than 3 or 4 shots and you do, it's pretty clear then you're taking advantage of the situation and "exploiting" the glitch.

I hope that dresses your concern with Falco's laser lock. :)

Everyone please be sure to tell your friends about this tournament!

ptown

Smash Ace
ok 3-4 lasers is okay, but 5 is too much.

you probably just didn't list everything, but i guess you want the same rules applied to jab lock'ing.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
It would either have to be Monday, August 11th or Tuesday, August 12th. It's really one other the other so we can have a vote. I would like to see a lot of Brawlers. :)

zCasanova

Smash Lord
It would either have to be Monday, August 11th or Tuesday, August 12th. It's really one other the other so we can have a vote. I would like to see a lot of Brawlers. :)
Is this going to be at some shopping center, cafe or your house?

The date really shouldn't matter, just find one and stick with so that people can make plans to come--and make sure it's far enough ahead of time so that people will have a chance to plan for it. I'd hate to ask off at work only to have it change again ;)

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
I will start hanging in fliers in local GameStops and someone will help me do that at a few nearby colleges in Charleston to start attracting locals Monday, July 27th. We want more money in the pot, right? :)

Alright there is no more change on date. Tuesday, August 12th is when the tournament is on!

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Well apparently with these big cooperations you're suppose to contact them 4 weeks in advance and get an approval before any Gamestops can post something for you. Fortunately some of them will help spread the word anyways. :)

I just think it's stupid so I thought I share and bump this thread.

Neb

Smash Lord
Gagh, if only this was in Columbia. Charleston is a bit out of the way with my schedule.
I'll try and come, maybe you guys could host one in the Columbia area next time.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Honestly, only a few people told me, including you, say they are coming. You and another guy who each says they are bringing 3 or 4 friends. Say that's 8, my self and a few fellows I meet around would be 5. So that's 13 so far. Then the random people from advertising I've done. I'm expecting at least 20.

Edoksil

Smash Rookie
This sounds great except for one thing. Maybe I missed it (although I've read through several times) but I'm a little unclear on where this is being held. Is this going to be in your house or in a local gaming cafe? Just curious.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Anime Charleston is an video store that sells anime videos and props. They also a place where some card and video game tournament is held. It's pretty small compared to the big places in bigger cities, but this is what Chucktown got to work with.

In short, it's a place of business located inside a small square.

And for the team prizes, the prize will be cash instead of a gift card.

Edoksil

Smash Rookie
Anime Charleston is an video store that sells anime videos and props. They also a place where some card and video game tournament is held. It's pretty small compared to the big places in bigger cities, but this is what Chucktown got to work with.

In short, it's a place of business located inside a small square.

And for the team prizes, the prize will be cash instead of a gift card.
Well that's a breath of fresh air. I had already made plans of attending with some friends and lets just say that we've had some bad experiences with household tournaments. Looking forward to it.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
I understand that people are more comfortable going to a place of business for these things. But I think I can run a pretty good tournament if I had a home to do it in. :p

Anyways, spread the word. I'm sure everyone would like to expand the Brawl community as well as increase the pot, right? :D

WildStar

Smash Journeyman
Man, I caught this thread completely late. I would make the drive but I'm not sure if I could, either way I hope you all have a successful turn-out. Maybe I can make the next one, any plans on upcoming brawl tourneys?

Edoksil

Smash Rookie
If this thread is any indication this should be an exciting tournament. I'm looking forward to competing against some new people with new playstyles (relative to me and my friends).

Shadowkhan

Smash Rookie
I also grow tired of beating the same people over and over again..... Jason. :embarrass

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Well, looks like a few more competitive Brawlers are coming to this tournament. And here I was thinking I had this tournament locked. Just kidding! :p

As for future tournaments, this tournament is independently hosted by me so I'm the one responsible for it. I'm sure Anime Charleston would like some credit if the turn out ends up really good though. hehe. If I was to do any future tournaments any time soon in the future, chances are it would probably be in Anderson.

Anime Charleston is planning to do monthly Brawl tournaments every second Saturday. I will not have a part of their tournament, so I won't be sure what their rules would be. However, they are looking for someone to commit and run their tournament. I'll be sure to let you guys know what their plans are.

Anyways, I hope no one bails out on my tournament. I'll see everyone on Tuesday!

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
I'll be at Clemson during the Fall and Spring semesters. The only place of business I can think of that rents out rooms/TVs for maybe a fair price is Planet Comics in Anderson, which is a 30 min drive for me.

Otherwise there is the community college nearby Clemson that does have TVs and allow students to bring their own consoles and play. However, the student government would have a hand in running the tournament and their rules are usually non-competitive for any game. Plus the area is open only on the weekdays and during the daytime. Also they like to cap the numbers of people who enters.

Currently I'm not living with other hardcore smashers or even gamers to even consider running tournament from my apartment.

PERTAINING TO THE UPCOMING TOURNAMENT

BRACKETS

I forgot to explain the tournament bracket. I've actually consider different bracket methods so I can best fit the people who I assume will attend (a few completive players and a lot of casuals) this type of tournament. I was trying to factor in ways casuals players can feel a bit of fairness, afterall, I don't want them to pay 15 bucks and feel like they should leave in 15 minutes. In the end we are doing to do the "norm" for Brawl tournaments. We will try to flow through the tournament quickly to allow time for friendly play.

It is double elimination. Everyone will sign up for the tournament through me and I will place everyone in a program that will seed everyone by location when the program is told to start, hence when the tournament begins. No one will be added after the bracket for the tournament has commence.

Keep in mind I'm limited on time before you suggest that I add Round Robins or anything would require more time.

CONTROLLERS

I really forgot to explain this category since I already the basic rules. I, however, didn't think about the people who don't' play competitively to know these "basic" rules and I didn't think about it until really recently.

It's suppose to be BYOC (Bring You Own Controller). I did add that part but I'm not sure how many people notice. I'm sure a lot of the casuals who show up that saw the fliers I have up in local Gamestops won't even go to the link I have on the flier to check out the rules. Anyways, here are some of the more important rules.

MODDED CONTROLLERS ARE BANNED. I'm doubt we'll see this problem.
Custom controller settings are allowed.
Wiimotes, Wiimotes/Nunchuk, and Classic Controllers are allowed. This is for the sake of casuals.
The use of extra special features of come certain controllers, such as turbo or rapid fire, are not allowed.

Well, I hope that covers everything. I hope to see everyone soon. UNTIL TOMORROW!

Shadowkhan

Smash Rookie
To everyone who is coming, please take a shower and put on some deodorant. I cannot even begin to tell you how many people I have ran into at brawl tournaments that straight stink…. Jason has my back on this one.

Top Bottom